• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype of cancelled ''Mega Bloks Halo'' Game surfaces (basically ''LEGO Halo'')

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm kind of surprised they didn't ship something like this given Microsoft has actually been really successful with younger children in the US and UK.

Minecraft and LEGO were both very successful on their platform, among other family appropriate games.

Things like Roblox are doing exceptionally well on their platform this generation to boot.

Then again, I get the sense they canceled a ton of Halo products over the years, and this might have died during the era Microsoft was in significant turmoil.

Not sure they would make something like this anymore either. They seem to be paring down their library to safe hits and some indie scale titles.

Borman

I'm kind of surprised they didn't ship something like this given Microsoft has actually been really successful with younger children in the US and UK.

Minecraft and LEGO were both very successful on their platform, among other family appropriate games.

Things like Roblox are doing exceptionally well on their platform this generation to boot.

Then again, I get the sense they canceled a ton of Halo products over the years, and this might have died during the era Microsoft was in significant turmoil.

Not sure they would make something like this anymore either. They seem to be paring down their library to safe hits and some indie scale titles.

I mention in the video that Bonnie Ross did an interview in October that included the fact that 343 is recognizing the fact that people want things like LEGO Halo. So its still a possibility.

Borman

Ensemble being closed means this is either easier to get people happy to talk, or it's a lot harder. Not sure which :-/

Its all the same honestly. People either trust that Ill protect them the best I can, or they don't, and I get it both ways. I don't want to be responsible for damaging any careers.

Apologies, as I'm sure it was mentioned and I missed it, but what was the reason for cancelling this game?

Edit: Ah apparently there was no reason / the reason is unknown.

Borman

Apologies, as I'm sure it was mentioned and I missed it, but what was the reason for cancelling this game?

From what Ive been hearing, the cancellation was sudden and without warning, with the team still hiring more people within even two months of the games cancellation, the call coming from Microsoft.

Borman

One of the limited run guys shared that their friend moved to Florida to work on this project, only for it to be cancelled two months later and they were laid off. Terrible. Thats how sudden this was :(

wwm0nkey

One of the limited run guys shared that their friend moved to Florida to work on this project, only for it to be cancelled two months later and they were laid off. Terrible. Thats how sudden this was :(
Man that sounds awful, pulling the rug like that on a promising project is just weird. Fable legends I understand because they went wayyyy over budget even though the game was turning out really good

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Man that sounds awful, pulling the rug like that on a promising project is just weird. Fable legends I understand because they went wayyyy over budget even though the game was turning out really good

Fable Legends was also being worked on for years.

Really sucks what happened to this game. Looked legitimately fun.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If they can't bring this back, use it as inspiration for a Jet Force Gemini reboot.

Fuck Microsoft are terrible at managing and growing IP.

Coreda

Like the more detailed style that still retains the miniature toy model look. The Lego game style never clicked with me based on gameplay videos I'd seen, the action appears too simplified. Whereas this looks just like a fun version of Halo for a younger audience which I love the idea of.

wwm0nkey

If they can't bring this back, use it as inspiration for a Jet Force Gemini reboot.

Fuck Microsoft are terrible at managing and growing IP.

Yeah I would agree, though they are getting /slightly/ better under Phil. I love the Xbox brand but it needs to grow and expand its IPs badly.

The Hobo

Wow , this looks great. It keeps a lot of the core Halo gameplay while adding some new elements. Elements that could work well in the main Halo games also.

Stopdoor

Remember Wind Waker's reveal? Given Xbox's demographics, imagine the same kind of reaction, except a million fold.

A bit of an underdeveloped analogy, because Wind Waker also followed two ground-breaking, hotly recieved 3D Zelda games, was first for the console, and took the place of a major entry in the style fans wanted for another 4+ years.

Yeah, it might be derided a little bit, but I think most Halo fans would take it as harmless unless you're peak fanboy at 13.

mj1108

I'm guessing because it was looking good and something people would want to actually buy and like.

VariantX

This actually looks interesting... kind of dissappointed that it didn't become a thing because it clearly shits all over the lego games TT were making at that time which felt like reskins of the same game.

Nazo

Shame this never got green lit, looks pretty fun.

It looks more appealing to me than anything 343 has done with Halo recently imho.

psyfi

Banned
This looks really cool, but I probably wouldn't buy it. It looks like normal Halo but dumbed down. No thanks. I would really love to see the mainline Halo games adopt a more cartoony / comic book aesthetic, though.

looks like everything i loved about Spartan Assault without the awful microtransactions. Day one.

Huh? How does it look anything like a top-down twin-stick shooter, by any metric?

Game looked really fun. Have way more interest in this than Halo 4 or 5. If it's revived keep 343's hands off it.

343i manages literally everything Halo. No Halo product exists without their hands on it, so that would never happen.

blakep267

Remember Wind Waker's reveal? Given Xbox's demographics, imagine the same kind of reaction, except a million fold.
As mentioned above, minecraft Lego games and Roblox do very well on Xbox so your comparisons are wrong. This isn't a JRPG. The Xbox does very well with "kids" games

Man, I love those visuals; I really like the character/environment design from the original Halos and I think it looks really good even in chunky blocky family-friendly form. Looks very polished too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What a lovely little gem.

Yet another terrible 343 decision with this game. Just wow.

Instead we got two bland Sarah Palmer mobile games.

Top Bottom