• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype of cancelled ''Mega Bloks Halo'' Game surfaces (basically ''LEGO Halo'')

Atomski

I feel like if this was announced people would have been booking like crazy.

Not saying it looks bad but it also doesn't look like something the majority of halo fans would want.

dh4niel

I just watched the video earlier. Looked really good, I don't think it would've fit with the rest of the franchise though.

Looks pretty. Don't think the gameplay appeals to me personally, but looks totally within the Lego games wheelhouse, perhaps with even better action.

I'd be interested to see how they would have marketed it.

This is one of the things I've been saying Halo needs lol. I wonder how many people actually were suggesting this as it seems like a good fit to make Halo more lighthearted in tone.
I just watched the video earlier. Looked really good, I don't think it would've fit with the rest of the franchise though.
Maybe not the art style, but certainly the charm. Plus, I think that's what franchises need in their repertoire to expand its demographic.

I came in ready to laugh at it, but...I would straight up have bought that. The Lego games have been stale for years but a Halo world in a bright, N64 art style, with easy going gameplay, platforming and maybe a more humorous take on the Halo story? The simpler gameplay could also be a callback to original Halo trilogy (i.e without sprint, etc). Put in some destruction, split screen coop, and I'm be in day one.

343 are definitely looking at branching out the Halo IP, so I hope this isn't the last we see of it, it seems like a genuine way of bringing the universe to a different audience. Stinkles, get in here!

Akai__

That actually looks... nice.

Kinda doesn't make sense to me that they cancelled this game and instead Spartan Assault (top-down shooter) was approved and released in 2013. This looks so much better than Spartan Assault.

EvB

I wonder how long the megablocks deal runs for? It is so out of place as a lame competitor to Lego

gafneo

Banned
What I think happened is that 343 was in fear that the game looked too good that it would overshadow and steal sales from the flagship mainline series. This megablocks game looks to surpass the fps Halo in everyway.

Akai__

Also, now I understand where this vehicle came from:

Halo-Mea-Bloks-UNSC-Light-Assault-VTOL-ONI-REAP-X-Set-Summer-2013-e1363015641933.jpg

krang

I've said this before, but 343i should release an anthology of short 1-2 hour Halo games, in the same fashion as Halo Legends and Evolutions. All by different third parties and all with creative freedom (apart from lore, where appropriate) and different genres.

This would have fit perfectly into that.

LEGO would never pick up franchises like HALO.

No, but I don't know why. They're happy to have Jurassic World and Back to the Future represented. The former is pretty bloody, and the latter has terrorists shooting civilians.

wrowa

The idea they had to go with a Lego knock off cracks me up.

The footage does look surprisingly decent, though. Is n-space still around, actually?

MaLDo

wow, this is like Disney Infinity Halo.

Ok, maybe it's a coincidence....

Disney Infinity was released in 2013. Developed by Avalanche Studios over the base of their previous game Toy Story 3.

Toy Story 3 was developed by Avalanche Studios but ported to Nindendo DS by n-Space in 2010.

I guess if n-Space took that concept to create this vertical slice while Avanlanche was doing Disney Infinity. DI was ported to 3DS by Altron.

Plasma

Banned
Looks neat if they were going to do something like this though I think I'd want to see more than just Halo though. Like a Lego Dimensions (without having to buy the toys) but with other MS franchises like Gears, Fable, KI, Perfect Dark etc.

So somebody decided to cancel that but allow things like Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike to exist? Oh man...

This game looks really fun. It even had coop and a firefight mode with base building! That's more than the last main Halo title gave us...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
No, but I don't know why. They're happy to have Jurassic World and Back to the Future represented. The former is pretty bloody, and the latter has terrorists shooting civilians.

It's indeed somewhat arbitrary regarding the violence, but in general those franchises are still aimed at a wider age-range than Halo. LEGO also had the Indiana Jones license and that has guns and nazis. They also had Prince of Persia which seems odd to me, but I haven't played the modern games or seen the movies.

Kouichi

Wow, this looks really cool. The besieged mode reminds me a lot of Starhawk.

It always sad to see such a great idea get canceled, especially when it's this polished.

That actually looks... nice.

Kinda doesn't make sense to me that they cancelled this game and instead Spartan Assault (top-down shooter) was approved and released in 2013. This looks so much better than Spartan Assault.

So somebody decided to cancel that but allow things like Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike to exist? Oh man...
The primary purpose of the Spartan games was to boost the struggling Windows Phone brand as well as the Windows Store on tablets. Both had far smaller budgets than this would have had, and the console ports of the first game would have been much smaller in cost than that. Apples and oranges.

It's indeed somewhat arbitrary regarding the violence, but in general those franchises are still aimed at a wider age-range than Halo. LEGO also had the Indiana Jones license and that has guns and nazis. They also had Prince of Persia which seems odd to me, but I haven't played the modern games or seen the movies.
The M rating makes all the difference. Lego isn't going to license a 17+ brand, regardless of how the actual content compares to other IPs. Prince of Persia only got a pass because the license was specifically tied to the PG13 Disney movie (and Disney has multiple deals with Lego), not the games.

That said, Halo 5 was rated T and if Halo Wars 2 follows in the original's footsteps it may be as well (edit: ah, I see the ESRB already rated it and it is indeed T). The Spartan games were also T. So it's possible the door could be open going forward. I feel like Mattel having the toy license now could be a good sign too, as I don't think they normally license IPs with higher age ratings either, but I could totally be wrong.

Ade

Watching that vid on the TV, little boy just came in. I now have my 5 year old son inconsolably crying as he can't play that game...

Top Bottom