• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype of cancelled ''Mega Bloks Halo'' Game surfaces (basically ''LEGO Halo'')

It looks absolutely nothing like anything made from blocks but I totally love the style anyway. Looks like a fun TPS Halo game like Jet Force Gemini, as I saw someone else say. I love third-person shooters but I feel like there aren't many "fun" ones anymore outside of Ratchet & Clank, everything I can think of is serious or gritty like Gears, even though Uncharted has lots of humor and adventure it's not quite the same as something like JFG. I'd love someone to correct me though if I'm wrong!

Also Mega bloks > Legos.

Yeah man I love it when I build a model and the parts don't stay connected and it keeps falling apart too, so awesome.

Also it's Lego, not Legos. Heathen! *throws sand*

Yep, exactly. I hope the positives of my video existing find their way to the right people at Microsoft.

lKBpjLG.png

It takes a lot for me to tweet. I don't even know if I did it right. I even forgot my password and had to change it just to log in... Probably won't do anything but you know what they say, -insert proverb about trying here-

Zomba13

That looks really cool. Not sure if it's something I would buy and I don't know how well it'd do since it's Halo but in "kids form". Still though, looks more fun than most of the LEGO games. I really like the look of it and I think the humour stuff would work great because Halo does have those funny moments (though mostly off to the side/easter eggs) and I think bringing that more to the forefront for cutscenes would've been great.

Like, the harshest I can be about the concept and footage shown is "eh, not for me" but I don't see anything bad or any issues with the core concept or gameplay shown. Like with most cancelled games or leaked prototypes you can look at them and think "oh, I can see where this project failed" because the whole tone or concept could have been off, there were obvious limitations in the engine/platform, elements just weren't coming together etc but here it just seems like "nah, we don't want to do this because of licensing" rather than any actual flaw in the game. Though focus testing could've killed it too. I dunno.

I don't think there is much intersect with the Halo audience and people that play the Lego style games. There is likely a reason this is dead or was passed on.

It'd be funny to see the dismemberment some folk lamented not getting into Halo 3 technically be in this game due to how the characters are "built".

_s8MMj.gif

pn5fWW.gif

Sort of off topic but this is the first time I've logged in to twitter in ages... why are there a bunch of people with butts as their profile pics following me and liking my stuff?

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Wow! What reality is this? I had no idea that anything like this was ever in development! Shame too, it does look extremely good :( and it would have only gotten more polished in the end, I would have definitely purchased it :)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That looked amazing! Just imagine if they ported it to the Xbox one and released it at launch day or something like that.

Ffs.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Cool, should've been greenlit.
I don't think there is much intersect with the Halo audience and people that play the Lego style games. There is likely a reason this is dead or was passed on.
A lot of kids are into Halo in spite of the M rating.

farisr

I was expecting some half assed pitch that got cancelled or something. I actually would've gotten this game if it followed through on what was shown in the video.

boltz

Looks like it could have been a pretty solid game and would have been something that I would have enjoyed as a Halo fan. I wonder if MS decided to put their resources into developing Halo Spartan Assault and Strike instead as they probably perceived those games have more appeal to the "core" Halo fan.

Karl2177

As a big Halo fan, this honestly doesn't look bad at all. I'd be tempted to pick it up and play. I'd just hope they'd have left the story stuff as non-canon.

tr00per

As was said this definitely would have diversified the 360 exclusives. I would have loved to try it. You are doing God's work, Borman.

WillyFive

Don't get it why would they cancel this when it's this polished already?

This is a vertical slice, not a full game. What you see in the video was all that was made; game developers do tiny prototypes like that to show publishers what the final game will be like if it's funded.

hopefully all of this positive attention changes their minds and gets the project restarted. I would really love something like this.

heck I went crazy for halo minecraft for crying out loud and I don't even like minecraft that much!

I feel like the Sphere World we found in Halo 4 was wasted opportunity.

Could have been used for a halo adventure/rpg game to introduce blue team.

Then branch off to other places/outposts/worlds/ships for missions.

Then halo 5 could have released and the general public could have been aware of a spartan team and wouldnt be thrown off by the other team of 4, osiris.

I just seen a lot of potential when we first stepped foot on that sphere world. But we got spartan ops to cut off hasleys arm and send the world into the closest sun. Lmfao. Wow....

So watching this makes me a bit sad inside...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Looks better than Halo 4 and 5.

Would have been an AWESOME gateway for kids into Halo.

God Microsoft and 343 can be incredibly dumb.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not really, just speculation that it may have been a case of wrong place, wrong time (a X360 game that would have launched early in the life of the XB1).

Which is weird as if they're targeting early-teens (pre-teens) and teenagers with no disposable income with this, it'd probably would've been fine on 360.

The major issue I have is that the gameplay/combat felt "off." It had a lock-on system so when you're facing the Brutes(forgetting their name, the big hulking alien) it's basically just spray and pray it seemed.

Duderino

With n-space developing this, I have reasonable doubt it would have turned out well.
It was a relatively high profile IP; I would be surprised if the team makeup resembled that of the past tittles you're probably judging them on. It's also very possible that Microsoft was more flexible with their budget and timeframe, until it got cancelled of course.

Shiggy

It was a relatively high profile IP; I would be surprised if the team makeup resembled that of the past tittles you're probably judging them on. It's also very possible that Microsoft was more flexible with their budget and timeframe, until it got cancelled of course.

Even when they got a decent budget and decent development time, their titles weren't too hot (Geist, Heroes of Ruin).

Top Bottom