• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

Pretty disappointing that this isn't turning into a Netflix type service. Sounds like it won't be a fit for me, I'm not paying that much to rent.

At the start of the open beta, over a 100 titles covering a wide range of genres will be available from SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) and the industry’s best software developers and publishers. SCE will work with its publishing partners to test various rental periods and prices, depending on how and when players would like to game. For example, there will be shorter rental periods priced as low as US$2.99, and most titles will be between US$2.99 and US$19.99. As with all content published on PlayStation platforms, publishers and developers will ultimately decide their game price points. Furthermore, SCE plans to offer subscription options in the future.

Jesus people, come on.

mid83

I thought there was going to be a monthly sub option.

EDIT: Just say the post that says they will offer one in the future.

SonnyBoy

I envision myself renting most new games for 1-3 days to try them out. I've regretted so many purchases in the past. I think this will save me money lol.

None of this is even remotely interesting to me without an 'All you can eat' option. Sorry, but Netflix has spoiled me. If Sony offered access to the entire PS Now library for $20 a month as a PS+ perk I would be there day 1. Anything else is a nonstarter.

Not really apples-to-apples. With gamefly you need to own a specific machine to play the title.

The point of this is to give people on an iPad or a TV or whatever, access to the game with nothing more than a controller required. This service is really, mostly, for the vaster majority of people who don't have a console.

IMO if $20 gives access for a period of time that would allow someone to more or less finish with a game, that doesn't seem very unreasonable to me. I think it's likely that won't be the only option for a given game, though - it's probably a matter of shorter and longer rental periods available on the same game.

Those people won't know about or care about this service

Tobor

They know we want a subscription service. Why is everyone ignoring this?

press release said:
Furthermore, SCE plans to offer subscription options in the future.

They get it, guys. They clearly want to test the pricing model and provide options.

None of this is even remotely interesting to me without an 'All you can eat' option. Sorry, but Netflix has spoiled me. If Sony offered access to the entire PS Now library for $20 a month as a PS+ perk I would be there day 1. Anything else is a nonstarter.

You are in luck, because it says, right there in the OP, that there will be a sub type service. Just wait for that.

rent until I beat it or a month.

Yeah, I think that's what those prices mean - how long you keep the game.

If I could pay $x a month and "rent"/play on demand all I wanted, that'd be good - but I understand why that technologically isn't possible yet.

If I could pay $20, and I could rent one game indefinitely (or rent new release games/games that were released 60 days or less ago for 30 days) and have full access to that game, that'd be less horrible, I guess.

If by owning the game, I could serve it freely to myself anywhere via PS Now for free, that'd be good too.

I just don't know about a game rental model in a post-Netflix/Hulu/all you can eat and on demand digital world.

sajj316

Why not couple it with PS+. PS+ subscribers get one free rental for any period of time. Upgrade to 2 rentals for an additional $4.99. Additional rentals will be at the normal rates (whatever they may be).

No PS+ users .. normal rates. $20 is a little too much for any sort of rental for any period of time.

Ill definitely be interested subscribing when they get to it, also I dont mind $20 rentals on new releases, these are $60 games we're talking about here not $20 Bluray movies, as long as I get to rent for a good amount of time.

I didn't catch this portion of Sony's presser, but assuming Playstation Now is still the streaming service? I think the bigger value proposition comes in whether you want to rent a streaming game for $3/day or $10/week.

Personally, I think that $3/day is steep.

People need to freaking read the OP before asking questions that are answered right in there.

Right, and people are responding to the information we have right now. They haven't said anything about how their sub will operate, or how it will be priced. The current pricing they've revealed however fucking sucks, so people are expressing their dissatisfaction.

PBY

Banned
For these old games which can be mostly had for cheap 20 dollars is fucking nuts.

Give me a netflix model sony.

I'd rent stuff like Last of Us for 20 bucks. Great experience, but I'd never play it again after completing it. I don't ever go back to most games, so that sounds good to me. Not interested in collecting. Other games like Souls or Street Fighter I'd buy full price since I'd get much more play from them. Sounds good to me.

PBY

Banned
I'd rent stuff like Last of Us for 20 bucks. Great experience, but I'd never play it again after completing it. I don't ever go back to most games, so that sounds good to me. Not interested in collecting. Other games like Souls or Street Fighter I'd buy full price since I'd get much more play from them. Sounds good to me.
Pretty sure that's awful value for what you can buy and keep it for on ps3 now.

Right, and people are responding to the information we have right now. They haven't said anything about how their sub will operate, or how it will be priced. The current pricing they've revealed however fucking sucks, so people are expressing their dissatisfaction.

People are straight up asking why there isn't a sub service when it says in the OP that there will be one at some point.

It's not "well, when is that coming" so much as it is "what is Sony thinking when they aren't going to do that".

I don't have a problem with discussing the prices. It'd be nice if we knew what those were, but sadly we don't. It doesn't take much, however, to read the OP and see that a sub service is on the way. At least talk about that instead of ignoring the existence.

PBY

Banned
People are straight up asking why there isn't a sub service when it says in the OP that there will be one at some point.

It's not "well, when is that coming" so much as it is "what is Sony thinking when they aren't going to do that".

I don't have a problem with discussing the prices. It'd be nice if we knew what those were, but sadly we don't. It doesn't take much, however, to read the OP and see that a sub service is on the way. At least talk about that instead of ignoring the existence.
How expensive do u think a sub is going to be based on these prices though?

$20 isn't an unfair price depending on the circumstances. A month of time with a game is often more than enough to wring everything you'd want out of it, and at a fraction of the price if purchasing it new. There's not near enough info in this blurb to be properly judging value.

The knee-jerk reactions... Come of people, you're better than this.

There's nothing to talk about though, and if they're going to be offering timed rentals for up to $20 then they're not going to offer a full Netflix style sub. More likely it would be tiered and considerably more expensive than Netflix.

PBY

Banned
$20 isn't an unfair price depending on the circumstances. A month of time with a game is often more than enough to wring everything you'd want out of it, and at a fraction of the price if purchasing it new. There's not near enough info in this blurb to be properly judging value.

The knee-jerk reactions... Come of people, you're better than this.
What ps3 game is worth that price for a 1 month streaming rental? Most can be bought for around that price c

jcm

What ps3 game is worth that price for a 1 month streaming rental? Most can be bought for around that price c

Presumably the $20 price is for new releases, not games that can be purchased for $20. For example, I'd be happy to pay $0 to rent Tales of Zestiria or Persona 5 for a month. (I'd be even happier to pay $60 for a PS4 version, but beggars can't be choosers.)

How expensive do u think a sub is going to be based on these prices though?

I'm honestly thinking it'll be set for 3 months minimum time period. Maybe 15? I dunno, it's difficult to gauge just exactly where a price point should land, but my limit is probably 20 a month for Plus access to everything.

There's nothing to talk about though, and if they're going to be offering timed rentals for up to $20 then they're not going to offer a full Netflix style sub. More likely it would be tiered and considerably more expensive than Netflix.

How are they not going to offer a Netflix style service if a select few games are priced at 20 bucks? It's likely that Sony is going to price the time periods, not the individual games, at those levels.

And they just said they are going to do a sub service. I don't understand why people keep denying the existence of something stated directly in the OP.

What is amusing is that many people complain about digital games because they can't buy a new release for $60, beat it in one month and trade-in for $30 at GameStop, but renting the same game for a month for $20 is unacceptable.

Sony may screw up the pricing, but $20 is not ridiculous per se if we don't know the context.

Donny

What is amusing is that many people complain about digital games because they can't buy a new release for $60, beat it in one month and trade-in for $30 at GameStop, but renting the same game for a month for $20 is unacceptable.

Sony may screw up the pricing, but $20 is not ridiculous per se if we don't know the context.

This.

PBY

Banned

I assumed that there would not be 60 dollar games/new releases on the service though.

Based on this pricing it seems like both Redbox and GameFly are a way better value.

Only way I can see this service being successful is with a cheap Netflix style subscription fee.

Gamefly, yes. Redbox is something like $2 a day, so this will probably offer a much better value, especially if you plan on keeping something more than 2-3 days.

I kind of like this, specifically for new games you don't want to necessarily buy. Via ethernet, my experience has been great. (Not "great" as in personal experience but "great" as in connection speed, latency, consistency, etc.).

It can work in the grand scheme of things but it's a matter of how much will it matter. If anything it's future proofing for right now

This right here... Better than I could have said it.

It'll be interesting to see how this works moving forward. If I had to guess I'd say the $2.99 rental would be for a day which is awful. $19.99 likely refers to a month which isn't too bad, but these are gonna be games from previous generations that likely wouldn't cost more than $20 to buy. The subscriptions service is the most interesting aspect of this and hopefully is more reasonably priced.

I've been looking forward to this feature for a while, and I have to say I'm disappointed in these prices.

I'm honestly thinking it'll be set for 3 months minimum time period. Maybe 15? I dunno, it's difficult to gauge just exactly where a price point should land, but my limit is probably 20 a month for Plus access to everything.

How are they not going to offer a Netflix style service if a select few games are priced at 20 bucks? It's likely that Sony is going to price the time periods, not the individual games, at those levels.

And they just said they are going to do a sub service. I don't understand why people keep denying the existence of something stated directly in the OP.

Nobody is denying it, I'm saying it's not likely to be a straightforward sub like Netflix where you pay and get access to the catalogue. I'm saying it's probably going to be tiered, because they won't want people who are paying a flat monthly fee to have access to the entire catalogue. For example, people paying a basic monthly fee might be given access to everything but games from the last 12 months and be required to pay a separate rental fee to stream those games. They could also offer a much more expensive premium sub which gives people access to newer games.

My point is that, as someone who is more interested in the service on other devices rather than a PS4, if it gets too complicated or pricey I'm not going to bother with it.

BadWolf

Will keep my eye on this, won't mind paying 3-5 bucks to finish some games here and there.

Not many games are worth playing more than once anyway and that is way cheaper than buying used. And there are no places to rent games as far as I know around me so yeah.

I want to BUY the games, not rent them. Give me a streaming service that lets me BUY games.

OnLive have a good model for this now, though they sucked when they first launched. You subscribe to the "playpack" which is all-you-can-eat, but then you can also buy Steam games and get access to them as a digital download via Steam or stream them via OnLive. Sony should consider that model, where you buy a retail game via PSN and are able to stream it or install it at will.

Furyous

I might not buy another game if this is true. I beat Uncharted inside of two days. This saves money on sports games because it gives users a chance to find out if popular sports franchise lives up to the hype.

This service is perfect for games with no replay value. If I can power through a game in a week then why pay full price for it when I can rent it?

*EDIT*

This forces developers to improve the quality of their games. Publishers should prefer this over trade-ins because they receive the profit directly off the second hand sale.

Top Bottom