• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita anniversary Deals (NA) - Free games (Wild Arms, Patapon,...) and discounts

Lucent

I like to own the games I pay for. If I pay for PS+, Sony can decide that I can't play my games anymore anytime by just shutting off the online service. This is inacceptable. Games one gets free via PS+ are paid games, as long as PS+ isn't free.

I like to think of PS+ as a sort of cheap rental service. It costs like $5-8 to rent a game for about a week normally at a rental store. So $49.99 a year (or 15 months if you buy it during those promotions) is a deal for me. And you don't have to worry about late fees or returning them. Play them on your own time. I'd never have bought ALL of these games normally. And you do get some pretty awesome discounts with PS+ and you do keep what you buy through discounts. So, for me, it all comes together. If you have a Vita, it's even more of a value.

I'm perfectly happy with PS+. Though I wouldn't mind getting some of the games Europe has gotten.

I like to think of PS+ as a sort of cheap rental service. It costs like $5-8 to rent a game for about a week normally at a rental store. So $49.99 a year (or 15 months if you buy it during those promotions) is a deal for me. And you don't have to worry about late fees or returning them. Play them on your own time. I'd never have bought ALL of these games normally. And you do get some pretty awesome discounts with PS+ and you do keep what you buy through discounts. So, for me, it all comes together. If you have a Vita, it's even more of a value.
Exactly. Playstation Plus pays for itself with the discounts you get throughout the year. Discounts for games you keep even after your subscription runs out.

The free game stuff is usually the center of any PS + conversation, but its the discounts that make the service worth $50 a year. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on how many games you buy on a regular basis. But for diehard PS3 and/or Vita owners, this service is a no-brainer.

Onemic

how come wild arms isnt free anymore even though its in the anniversary list?

sfxt also isnt 50% off for me and only 30 even though im a plus member

sakipon

They're launching Toro's Friend Network later this year in the US so it's probably a small push to familiarize more people with him. The blog post for the sale briefly mentions the game.

Some pics from the announcement post.

Wonder how long they'll take with it. It's out in English on the HK store and I already beat the thing. And that was without going for micro transactions so it took a longer while.

Lucent

Exactly. Playstation Plus pays for itself with the discounts you get throughout the year. Discounts for games you keep even after your subscription runs out.

The free game stuff is usually the center of any PS + conversation, but its the discounts that make the service worth $50 a year. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on how many games you buy on a regular basis. But for diehard PS3 and/or Vita owners, this service is a no-brainer.

Wonder if they'll have a new pricing tier for when PS4 comes out or possibly do the same as Vita and just include it with the $49.99 per year deal. =D

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
But he mentioned at the top that he is a PS+ user.

Most likely he is just looking at the price on the vita store, which lists the original price beside the plus price, and compared the difference.

The 'original' price is the price already discounted by 30%, because it is the price for this week, and everybody can buy the game from the store at that price. The Plus price is 50% off of the non-discounted price.

SFxT or no? help me vita gaf!

Amazing port. Near perfect. Pretty awesome on the Vita. Same with Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3.

Vita is an amazing beast when it comes to handheld fighting games. Surprised there hasn't been Tekken or SoulCalibur yet, although I think it could still be ported.

BlazBlue is also near perfect. Astounded by the quality.

Mortal Kombat is also a okay port, but it's not as good as the other fighting game ports when compared to their console counterparts.

Can't wait for DoA5+.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do you lose your save file when you uninstall something. I don't think I've ever heard a clear answer on that.

Yes you do, unless you are PS+ user (which you should be), so you can easily up and download the saves.

If you delete a Vita game, you also delete its save data.

I'm sorry, what?

Is this true?
There is NO way.

What about people with 4-8GB memory cards then? Or anyone with lots of dd games?

If this is true I'll never own a vita, I've been looking to buy one for a few weeks now , thank god I find about this now.

edit: you have to manually copy your saves over to ps3 or pc? what the fuck is the point of that? psp doesn't fucking do this....

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm sorry, what?

Is this true?
There is NO way.

What about people with 4-8GB memory cards then? Or anyone with lots of dd games?

If this is true I'll never own a vita, I've been looking to buy one for a few weeks now , thank god I find about this now.

edit: you have to manually copy your saves over to ps3 or pc? what the fuck is the point of that? psp doesn't fucking do this....

Every Vita/PS3 owner should have PS+ anyway. And PS+ allows for auto-uploads of the savegames. Pretty much a non-issue if you are a PS+ user.

Yes you do, unless you are PS+ user (which you should be), so you can easily up and download the saves.

I am a PS+ user. I haven't noticed the mechanic for uploading/downloading saves on Vita yet. I'll need to check this out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I am a PS+ user. I haven't noticed the mechanic for uploading/downloading saves on Vita yet. I'll need to check this out.
Content manager. Application allows you to upload to PS+ or transfer games to PC/PS3 for storage.

Every Vita/PS3 owner should have PS+ anyway. And PS+ allows for auto-uploads of the savegames. Pretty much a non-issue if you are a PS+ user.

This reminds me, can you even start any of the vita psn+ games without an internet connection?

Most of my playtime on my psp was on the train or during visits to my mother. (no inet at either)

Toma

This reminds me, can you even start any of the vita psn+ games without an internet connection?

Most of my playtime on my psp was on the train or during visits to my mother. (no inet at either)

Yeah of course. They have a timer that expires on the date that your ps+ sub expires. As long as you are still ps+ member, you can play ps+ games wherever you want.

Yes but you need to refresh connection every x days (x is currently unknown) so the licences get refreshed.

Toma

Yes but you need to refresh connection every x days (x is currently unknown) so the licences get refreshed.

You sure about that? I thought the games have the same expiration date as your PS+ sub, even when staying offline all the time.

99% sure - i had a situation where i wasn't using ps3 for 2 months or so and then it didn't want to play my plus games before i updated firmware and signed online.

Thanks.
So what happens to your saves when you play without an internet connection then?

The way I had my psp set up on family visits was carry a cheap usb stick with my games on them and swap out the ones I wanted to play to the 8GB ms pro duo overpriced psp card on my mother's old laptop.

I'm not going to pay 100 euros for a 32GB vita card so it'll either be the 8 or 16GB one which means I'll be swapping out games a lot (which I assume you can back up on a hard disk or usb stick?)

The save thing is so fucking arbitrary which is why I'm asking about the restrictions that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Akira_83

Banned

Yes, because if you want features that SHOULD be built into every single game system out there (Save file management) you should totally HAVE to buy a $50 per year subscription

I dont have PS+ because i dont buy digital retail games. I only buy PSN exclusive games digitally, such as Dokuro or EDF Portable. Hell i have a 32 gig card, but i want it to contain every single game i can own, so if its on cart i buy it cart. PS+ doesnt really benefit me enough for only getting discounts on PSN games

Toma

Thanks.
So what happens to your saves when you play without an internet connection then?

The way I had my psp set up on family visits was carry a cheap usb stick with my games on them and swap out the ones I wanted to play to the 8GB ms pro duo overpriced psp card on my mother's old laptop.

I'm not going to pay 100 euros for a 32GB vita card so it'll either be the 8 or 16GB one which means I'll be swapping out games a lot (which I assume you can back up on a hard disk or usb stick?)

The save thing is so fucking arbitrary which is why I'm asking about the restrictions that shouldn't exist in the first place.
Well your game/save wont get automatically deleted. It just doesnt start up anymore and you can still use/upload them once you connect to the Internet again. But still, the grace period should be long enough (a month maybe then?) so that it wont really bother people most of the time.

And yes, you can backup games to a hard drive.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thanks.
Nothing? The save data is stored locally and on the cloud.

And it isn't arbitrary - it's pretty clear cut.

PSOne and PSP saves are separate from their icons and managed through Application Management in settings.
PS Vita saves are tied to their bubble, can be transferred to PS+, or the games can be stored to PC and PS3.

Toma

Yes, because if you want features that SHOULD be built into every single game system out there (Save file management) you should totally HAVE to buy a $50 per year subscription

I dont have PS+ because i dont buy digital retail games. I only buy PSN exclusive games digitally, such as Dokuro or EDF Portable. Hell i have a 32 gig card, but i want it to contain every single game i can own, so if its on cart i buy it cart. PS+ doesnt really benefit me enough for only getting discounts on PSN games

Just curious, you dont have a 360 gold membership right?

I'm curious - what other gaming systems offer cloud based storage for free ?

Steam for selected games and ... ?

magawolaz

99% sure - i had a situation where i wasn't using ps3 for 2 months or so and then it didn't want to play my plus games before i updated firmware and signed online.
Perhaps it just needed the firmware update. AFAIK only PSM games need a server check every X days in order to work, while PS+ games have an internal countdown showing the expiration of the subscription.

Toma

Perhaps it just needed the firmware update. AFAIK only PSM games need a server check every X days in order to work, while PS+ games have an internal countdown showing the expiration of the subscription.

Yeah, could be.

It's possible - i don't plan on not turning on my PSV for 2 months to check :D

Especially when we had a bunch of good deals over last month and i now have LBP, NFS, DW Next, NGS+ 1 to finish before i start Persona.

Maedhros

Thanks.

Go thanks the PSP save exploiters for that bullshit. :)

BTW, it's possible to manually backup only the saves, if I'm not mistaken. In some of these Vita threads you can look for a tutorial.

Well this is a nice surprise... I'll grab Wild Arms - I haven't played it since the UMD was released but I've been meaning to run through it again - and I guess I'll finally grab Dokuro and Pure Chess (though god knows when I'll find time to play them)... And I don't know how I missed it, but EDF2017 is down to $29! I balked at $39 but I think I'll fold and grab it now...

Onemic

Most likely he is just looking at the price on the vita store, which lists the original price beside the plus price, and compared the difference.

The 'original' price is the price already discounted by 30%, because it is the price for this week, and everybody can buy the game from the store at that price. The Plus price is 50% off of the non-discounted price.

very true, it is actually 50% off. Well, bought. This game better be actually better than before the patch. And when I mean better I mean a good game.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I like how the "rental service" pejorative comes in the same breath as pointing out other major positives with Plus these days.

Rental service isn't a negative.

I have and LOVE gamefly.

Rental service is simply infinitely more accurate than people who keep spouting about "free" games.

Akira_83

Banned
I'm curious - what other gaming systems offer cloud based storage for free ?

Steam for selected games and ... ?

who's talking about cloud based storage for game saves? Why not some LOCAL game storage for free?

With my xbox 360 i can delete entire game installs and the save file is separate, and seeing as though a save file is negligable it means i cant keep saves for as many games as i want, then just reinstall the game when i want to play again

With the vita, you either have to cough up the premium PS+ fee (which wouldnt be useful to me as a retail only consumer) or you have to go through the ridiculous process of backing up your entire Vita game data using content manager then restore the whole thing

how are you not understanding this? its not about not getting cloud based storage for free... its about getting NO save file storage without paying a fee

Top Bottom