• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this whole "Vita has no games" meme.
It's been out for two months and has twenty one games with a metacritic score of 70 or higher.
How many good games did the 360 have by this point? Or the PS3? Or the 3DS? Or the PSP? Or any system, ever?

It doesn't take away from the quality of the games on the Vita but the 360 had more games with a Metacritic > 70 at this point in it's life. 5 months after it launched it had two games at 90 or better(GRAW and Oblivion) along with another 11 at 80 or better and another 20 on top of that at 70 or better.

Say what you want about Microsoft's current strategy 360 strategy but when the 360 launched they made sure games were the focus and there were a bunch of them. Jan/Feb were slow but once March hit there were games coming out every week.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know if I'd say it has the best launch library ever, but it has a great one. I still haven't gotten through all the launch games yet and probably 90% of my gaming time in the last 2 months has taken place on the Vita.

Admittedly, a lot of that has been Monster Hunter. But still, the system is awesome and it actually launched with good games. I'm still pretty impressed by it after a couple months.

Chesskid1

Banned
uncharted is sony's biggest 1st party franchise right? and it's not even that big. kinda sux for sony they have to relay on 3rd parties for the biggest games (unlike another big company :p).

the next month or so is great for vita owners atm. i'm happy.

Marz

I love the Vita, don't get me wrong but I never got all of that "best launch lineup ever" talk.

Ninja Gaiden- port
UMvC3- port
Little Deviants- meh
BBCS2E- port (I guess actually this is just multi-platform)
Uncharted- Good
Wipeout 2048- Good
F1 2011
Escape Plan
Dungeon Hunter Alliance- bad
Rayman Origins- port
Michael Jackson the Experience- port/meh
Fifa- decent-good I guess
SSD- good? haven't played
Hot Shots Golf
Modnation racers- meh
Army Corps of Hell- meh
Asphalt Injection- meh
Lumines- good
Ben 10 Galactic Racing- meh?
Plants vs. Zombies- port
Dynasty Warriors Next
Shinobido 2- meh
Mutant Blobs- good
Touch my Katamari
Virtua Tennis

So like what struck people as standout titles that were absolute system sellers for a majority of people?

I got it pretty much for the hardware and the future the launch titles were alright but nothing to write home about.

I mean systems like N64 launched with Mario 64 and others launched with iconic games. Don't really believe any of these games are going to go down as classics.

uncharted is sony's biggest 1st party franchise right? and it's not even that big. kinda sux for sony they have to relay on 3rd parties for the biggest games (unlike another big company :p).

the next month or so is great for vita owners atm. i'm happy.

Actually Gran Turismo is their biggest. It's their Mario/Halo, which is weird but yeah.

Sintoid

I love the Vita, don't get me wrong but I never got all of that "best launch lineup ever" talk.

Ninja Gaiden- port
UMvC3- port
Little Deviants- meh
Uncharted- Good
Wipeout 2048- Good
F1 2011
Escape Plan
Rayman Origins- port
Hot Shots Golf
Modnation racers- meh
Army Corps of Hell- meh
Asphalt Injection- meh
Lumines- good
Plants vs. Zombies- port
Dynasty Warriors Next
Shinobido 2- meh
Mutant Blobs- good
Touch my Katamari
Virtua Tennis

So like what struck people as standout titles that were absolute system sellers for a majority of people?

I got it pretty much for the hardware and the future the launch titles were alright but nothing to write home about.

I mean systems like N64 launched with Mario 64 and others launched with iconic games. Don't really believe any of these games are going to go down as classics.

You forgot Motorstorm RC (good/great) and honestly I't hard to find another System Seller like Mario in videogames...

Twinduct

Holy shit, so happy Starlight Inception went through.
Before I went to bed I bumped my 'pledge' up, mainly thinking that when I wake up they would be short a few K and sadly the game would not come. But so glad it reached it's goal.

Now they just need to announce cross-play :p

Jimrpg

u know what they should have released 10 titles at launch...

then drip feed one a release a week for the next 10 weeks...

Orca

u know what they should have released 10 titles at launch...

then drip feed one a release a week for the next 10 weeks...

Maybe it would be a smarter play. Make sure you cover as many genres as possible for launch, then give the rest of the games some room to breathe and the devs maybe a little more time to polish things up.

Are there really people who buy 20 games at launch anyway - especially multiple games in the same genre? Put up against Uncharted, Army Corps of Hell didn't even get a second look. Hit shelves six weeks later with some advertising behind it and maybe it does a little better.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Binding of Isaac would be an ideal Vita game.

Will be interesting to see how Sony plays the next few months, right now I only use it to play Rayman Origins once in a while on the pooper.

RpgN

No idea if anyone actually cares about this game, but decided to take a few shots of it.

I guess it was not as popular as Ragnarok was, which is kind of a shame. The two demo's make LOA seem alittle more in depth than Ragnarok, but it's hard to tell personally since the RO demo is much more limited in what you can do in it. I like the art direction of LOA though, and there is a ton of choice in terms of what class/playstyle you want to pursue. For this character I picked the "Gun Spear thing" and it's pretty awesome, but there are a bunch of other choices.

It will probably never get localized, but i've been debating on importing it, there is just alot I don't understand lol.

*Raises hand!*

I had the same impression of them, LOA seemed better but if RO demo is more limited as people are saying, then that might change. Either way, they're both worth getting. RO seemed more polished and better produced, while LOA has an interesting style and more options to make it engaging when playing it.

And don't say that, it would be a big shame if it doesn't make it over here. Though I did tweet one of SE EU staff and he/she didn't reply back...The customer support couldn't help either since they don't know any dates about upcoming games. People need to ask and make a big deal out of it and hopefully we'll hear more about it. It's certainly better than the first game on the PSP and deserves to get released.

My PSV just arrived!!! I am excite!!! :D

Got it charging now can't wait for mah work lunch break to give it a spin.

How long do I need to charge it for before I turn it on? :O

Berksy

It is a shame that EA Tetris mini can't be downloaded to Vita. Hope they come up with a new version without touch gimmicks like the one in iOS :(

I don't understand this whole "Vita has no games" meme.

It's been out for two months and has twenty one games with a metacritic score of 70 or higher.

How many good games did the 360 have by this point? Or the PS3? Or the 3DS? Or the PSP? Or any system, ever?

I understand that people are nervous looking towards the future, and part of that comes from the perception that the PSP was a dog for software. But if you look at this device rationally and where it stands in terms of having such a strong software lineup so early in its life plus the added bonus of backwards compatibility that actually is a wonderful upgrade to the visuals in most cases... I just don't get "the vita has no games."

I don't have enough time in the day to play all the shit i have installed on my vita. Just in the last few weeks getting MK and Disgaea 3 added about 500 hours of playtime on top of what i already had coming...

But it's the internet. Groupthink and memes win. Blah.

That was before emo era- now when nothing released in two weeks then console has no games ;)

Besides there's really a lot of trolls who want to see Sony handheld dead :)

Ran rp

So Ragnarock Odissey is coming this summer!

PSY・S;37539731 said:
Too many games!

Seriously. MGS HD Collection, Gravity Rush, DJMax Technika Tune, and now Ragnarock Odyssey are all summer releases
(MGS HD Collection and Gravity Rush are a little early, but still)
. And I still need to pick up Rayman: Origins.

Too many gaemz.

Number45

Hankering for something a little different on the Vita (I need a break from EG every now and again!), so I just picked up Corpse Party. ^_^

Epcott

No idea if anyone actually cares about this game, but decided to take a few shots of it.

I guess it was not as popular as Ragnarok was, which is kind of a shame. The two demo's make LOA seem alittle more in depth than Ragnarok, but it's hard to tell personally since the RO demo is much more limited in what you can do in it. I like the art direction of LOA though, and there is a ton of choice in terms of what class/playstyle you want to pursue. For this character I picked the "Gun Spear thing" and it's pretty awesome, but there are a bunch of other choices.

It will probably never get localized, but i've been debating on importing it, there is just alot I don't understand lol.

LOA? What is the actual name of the game? Looks nice!

Ninja Gaiden- port
UMvC3- port
Little Deviants- meh
Uncharted- Good
Wipeout 2048- Good
F1 2011
Escape Plan
Rayman Origins- port
Hot Shots Golf
Modnation racers- meh
Army Corps of Hell- meh
Asphalt Injection- meh
Lumines- good
Plants vs. Zombies- port
Dynasty Warriors Next
Shinobido 2- meh
Mutant Blobs- good
Touch my Katamari
Virtua Tennis

You seem to dismiss ports as if they are bad. I think this launch line-up is great. Just taking from your list the titles I bought.

UMVC3 - Great port and something I love having with me as a portable fighter.
BBCS2E - Another great fighter. Very different from UMVC3
Uncharted - Good. This ended up being a better adventure than Uncharted 3
Wipeout 2048 - Good. Load times are a bit of a problem but this is a fun racer in the Wipeout tradition.
Rayman Origins - Good. A port. But a great port none-the-less. Too bad it's missing co-op.
FIFA - A damn good port of the console experience. Really shows off what the system can do.
SSD - Great! Fun experience and looks good on dat Vita screen.
Hot Shots Golf - Great. Highly Addictive daily tournament mode.
Lumines - Good. It's a lot of fun but I hardly have the time to invest in it.
Virtua Tennis - Good port. This game is highly addictive believe it or not. I think I played this the most at Vita launch.

That's nine titles at launch that I would have no problem recommending. I've never seen a system with that much launch swag that was worth a damn.

You mention Mario 64 as an iconic game at a systems launch and go on to state that other consoles launched with iconic games. Besides Halo, which wasn't iconic at the time, I don't recall this actually being the trend in the last few years. Most games launch with a sparse few titles and you end up waiting a few months for the meatier stuff to come out.

Vita hit the ground running IMO. There's a great variety of launch titles to try out and some of them are damn good games. Great even. I bought nearly ten games at launch. Some systems take a couple of months to even have ten games. I do think this is the best launch for a system in a long time.

herod

Ports are good if you never bought the original, which will (IME) only be a small subset of gaffers.

Otherwise they are just expensive curios. I think similar can be said for the same-again sequels. It's all rather moribund for a device that is currently priced at innovators and early adopters.

edit: It needs a lot more content like Gravity Rush imo.

I can agree with it being one of the, if not THE, best launch lineups in history. WipeOut, Uncharted, Lumines, and Hot Shots Golf all at launch were amazing. I just wish they would be doing more with the PlayStation Store. Seriously, I don't need the MotorStorm RC cars. I'm not going to buy them. Give me some new stuff.

Oh, and if anyone's interested in a case, I saw the official travel cases on clearance at Target for about $5. YMMV, but you may get lucky and find one. They also had the USB cables for $4.

Ports are good if you never bought the original, which will (IME) only be a small subset of gaffers.

Otherwise they are just expensive curios. I think similar can be said for the same-again sequels. It's all rather moribund for a device that is currently priced at innovators and early adopters.

edit: It needs a lot more content like Gravity Rush imo.

Even dumping the ports, the lineup is still one of the best for launch I've seen. I haven't even tried original titles like Escape Plan and Mutant Blobs.

But I really wouldn't be so quick to dismiss some of those ports. They just add to good content to an already great lineup.

herod

Even dumping the ports, the lineup is still one of the best for launch I've seen. I haven't even tried original titles like Escape Plan and Mutant Blobs.

But I really wouldn't be so quick to dismiss some of those ports. They just add to good content to an already great lineup.

I can only talk about my own perception, and it's not difficult to see why people are desperate for new software, because they've already played this stuff elsewhere many times before.

AwRy108

E3

Jack: "The PSVita has had a great first few months with X games already out and X games coming out this year. PSN has also been doing tremendously well on PSVita. PSP games, and Minis are already playable on PSVita, and, as of the end of this conference, PSOne games will be too"

...except that 98% of the minis aren't playable on the Vita, and only a fraction of PSP games actually have digital versions...

theBishop

Banned

Have you ever bought a console at launch before? Very few launch with as many "good" games as you've listed.

Panda Rin

the launch of the vita in regards to the title lineup was actually pretty impressive. If Sony can reveal some worthwhile games at E3 and pump out more releases and actually attempt to push this system, I see a very good future for the Vita.

xxczx

My Vita is collecting dust while I wait for PS1 support and Gravity Rush (which is out a day after my birthday!)

Hurry up with the PS1 support Sony, I have FFVIII, MGS, Grandia and Wild Arms to play!

KalBalboa

Banned
My Vita is collecting dust while I wait for PS1 support and Gravity Rush (which is out a day after my birthday!)

Hurry up with the PS1 support Sony, I have FFVIII, MGS, Grandia and Wild Arms to play!

I bought FF8 last month for $4 specifically for my Vita, and I still have the PSone discs sitting on my shelf.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just in the next month on the Vita, I'll be getting:

Retro City Rampage
Resistance: Burning Skies
Gravity Rush
MGS HD Collection
LittleBigPlanet

That's more than enough to keep me busy for a long, long time, until the next batch, and it's not even E3 yet, so I have no idea what new shit they are going to announce.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Retro City Rampage
Gravity Rush
MGS HD Collection
LittleBigPlanet

That's more than enough to keep me busy for a long, long time, until the next batch, and it's not even E3 yet, so I have no idea what new shit they are going to announce.

LBP isn't coming out in a month. There's no date for it even.

Was there any sort of confirmation that the MGS HD Collection will also be released in Europe in June? I find it odd that I'm having difficulty finding it for pre-order.

Really happy Starlight Inception got its funding target. Got my tweets retweeted by about 15 people last night including Shuhei and Santa Monica employees.

kuroshiki

God eater burst will save you, friend.

you're welcome.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
LBP isn't coming out in a month. There's no date for it even.

I've seen it listed for June, but the beta is soon, which means it'll be coming out in the next few months. If not June, then I can see a July or August release.

Doesn't change my post though. I'll have plenty Vita goodness to keep me busy until the post summer releases hit.

Because of PSP bc, I just can't see how anyone's Vita would be catching dust. Right now, installed on my system, I have:

Super Stardust Delta
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy: Dissidia Duodecim
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Sega Genesis Collection
Power Stone Collection
Half Minute Hero
Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Gladiator Begins
Corpse Party

I actually deleted a few games, because I was running out of room.

After I get a larger memory card, I'll be picking up even more PSP titles. Despite owning a PSP, I've missed out on quite a few of it's awesome games. I'm playing catch up.

Retro City Rampage
Gravity Rush
MGS HD Collection
LittleBigPlanet

Will check out gravity rush and retro city. Resistance sounds like a clearance purchase someday. Other are just ports of stuff I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom