• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

krpiper

So I have put a little time in Disgaea 2 on my Vita. I was given a gift card to gamestop, is it a good idea to buy Disgaea 3, if mostly for the touch screen controls in the menus and stuff.

Or should I just go ahead and finish 2, and forget about 3

Eusis

So I have put a little time in Disgaea 2 on my Vita. I was given a gift card to gamestop, is it a good idea to buy Disgaea 3, if mostly for the touch screen controls in the menus and stuff.

I'd recommend getting 3 eventually, but not for touch screen stuff. You can't use it in the menus unless you count the save one (and that's only because of SCE's bullshit standardized saving garbage, and the fact the Vita's version ONLY supports the touch screen), the closest is the back panel replicating shoulder buttons (I THINK) of the PS3. A better reason would be the higher resolution or something, otherwise just beat Disgaea 2 now then get Disgaea 3 whenever you feel like it afterwards.

As for PS1 game upscaling: I doubt we're going to get it running at a higher resolution, just treat it like the PSP games where you can choose to filter it, along with the size options the PSP had. What I'm really hoping for however is for 480i parts to be properly supported this time, some title screens and menus ran at 480i even if the full games didn't, and it'd be nice to get full quality there where we couldn't on PSP.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Did the UK stock of Hori Vita Screen Protectors get destroyed in a freak accident or something, seems like the whole country it out of stock, has been for weeks and won't be back in stock for another 3 weeks.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

If you want to go for endless grinding, Disgaea 2 fills the spot pretty nicely. Havent played Vita Disgaea 3, but Disgaea 2 was the better game anyway.

AwRy108

Are those the official headphones? What's the sound quality like?

Not bad for the price, which is unusual for Sony products. They have a lot of highs and mids, but their bass is pretty minimal. Overall sound is tinny, but considering the price is $20 and a mic is included, they're not a bad deal.

Question: What can the second analog do in Peace Walker?

Did the UK stock of Hori Vita Screen Protectors get destroyed in a freak accident or something, seems like the whole country it out of stock, has been for weeks and won't be back in stock for another 3 weeks.

They've been selling like hot cakes everywhere. Had to wait about a month before I got mine.

newsguy

Heard framerate issues. Found the psp ports to be pretty bad.

Sell me on it!

The framerate stutters during cutscenes, never gameplay. I own the PS3 version and they animate identically. Also, sticks for pitching point is moot since you can choose location on touchscreen making it more accurate than the console version.

The framerate stutters during cutscenes, never gameplay. I own the PS3 version and they animate identically. Also, sticks for pitching point is moot since you can choose location on touchscreen making it more accurate than the console version.

Heard presentation stuff were cut.

Are there zero replays?

30% of the fun in sports games are watching replays imo.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
From the Cheap Arse Gaffer thread, Gravity Rush for £25!

Pretty sweet price, if only all the Vita games were this at launch.
Now to decide if I really want to get Resistance or not, seems to have gone back up to £35 everywhere.

They've been selling like hot cakes everywhere. Had to wait about a month before I got mine.

Crazy, must be a word of mouth thing as I haven't seen them advertised anywhere besides from people who have already bought them.
My order says it will be shipped 6th of June, ages away lol.

I normally go with Hori screen protectors but the official sony ones are pretty nice. THey even have a cut out that lines up on your buttons so you apply the screen protector straight. I was pretty impressed.

kuroshiki

Fellow vita owners, I need your help.

Picked up a 16gb card earlier and I'm thinking about buying Katamari and NGS+.

Any good?

I don't know man. I sold NGS+ because it was just too hard for me. Graphic was sweet though. If you want long lasting game, try Virtual Tennis 4 or Hot shots golf.

Number45

Here is a good relatively spoiler free guide if you ever get completely stuck or frustrated.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/989995-corpse-party/61154020

I used it to get all the endings and tags lol.
Thanks. I really want to see all of the wrong ends (it almost seems to be the main point of the game), but at the same time I can see it being frustrating running through it all time and time again with slight modifications each time. This will allow me to maintain some kind of flow at least. :)

Super Stardust Delta or PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe for PSP, which is one sale for $5.
I'd wait for Monday for PJM just to make sure it hits that compatibility list.

I don't know man. I sold NGS+ because it was just too hard for me. Graphic was sweet though. If you want long lasting game, try Virtual Tennis 4 or Hot shots golf.

Bought HSG when I got the vita, cracking game.

I didn't know VT4 was considered to be a good game.

As for NGS+, did it run well? I finished Black years ago, so the difficulty isn't a problem, just wanted to know if it ran well/was a good port.

VT4 and NGS+ (pending feedback on how it runs) are looking like my next purchases. Will pass on Katamari, I expect I'll be able to pick it up relatively cheap at retail in a few weeks/months.

Fellow vita owners, I need your help.

Picked up a 16gb card earlier and I'm thinking about buying Katamari and NGS+.

Any good?

Katamari has a demo, in case you want to try it out first. It's Katamari. If it has been a long time since your last game you'll have a blast. If it is your 3rd of 4th time with the series it will feel a bit stale.

Not bad for the price, which is unusual for Sony products. They have a lot of highs and mids, but their bass is pretty minimal. Overall sound is tinny, but considering the price is $20 and a mic is included, they're not a bad deal.

Are you getting a good seal with them? As the sound here isn't tinny and the bass goes surprisingly deep. I have some much more expensive headphones and the Sony ones are surprisingly good for the price.

Djin1979

Anyone know where I could order the Datel grip for VITA ?

220168-ggl02.jpg

Ein Bear

Since I enjoyed Uncharted so much, I picked up Resistance: Retribution and I'm about halfway through it.

Man, Sony Bend are fucking awesome. They deserve better than being stuck with side-story spinoff games =(

VanWinkle

Since I enjoyed Uncharted so much, I picked up Resistance: Retribution and I'm about halfway through it.

Man, Sony Bend are f***ing awesome. They deserve better than being stuck with side-story spinoff games =(

Well, those two are really the side-story games they've done. Hopefully Sony won't make it a habit, but it's not like they're a designated side-story team (like Ready at Dawn seemed to be with PSP). Not at the moment, at least.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Got my back touch screen protector thing, suddenly remember why I hate putting these things on, one bit of dust and you might as well throw the whole thing out.

ReaperXL7

Man, I hate to say it but i'm really kind of disappointed in Castlevainia Dracula X, it's not that it's really what i'd call "bad", but it really is very ugly. I would have preffered they either gone fully 2d, or bit style because this 2.5d thing that they did just is not doing it for me.

I also hate that I bought this partially to play the original Rondo of Blood, and Symphony of the Night, only to find out that they are not even full screen. i really dislike that small screen effect, especially on a handheld, so i'm hoping that when PS1 classics are enabled that you can make them fit the Vitas screen.

Skilletor

Man, I hate to say it but i'm really kind of disappointed in Castlevainia Dracula X, it's not that it's really what i'd call "bad", but it really is very ugly. I would have preffered they either gone fully 2d, or bit style because this 2.5d thing that they did just is not doing it for me.

I also hate that I bought this partially to play the original Rondo of Blood, and Symphony of the Night, only to find out that they are not even full screen. i really dislike that small screen effect, especially on a handheld, so i'm hoping that when PS1 classics are enabled that you can make them fit the Vitas screen.

Why would you want to stretch a 4:3 image to 16:9? o_O

I agree about the 3D remake, though. It was especially horrible on the PSP with the terribad ghosting.

ReaperXL7

Why would you want to stretch a 4:3 image to 16:9? o_O

I agree about the 3D remake, though. It was especially horrible on the PSP with the terribad ghosting.

Honestly it's because on a handheld the screen is already kind of small, so having the screen within a screen thing bothers me somewhat. It does really bother me when i'm on my tv so much, but it does on handhelds for some reason.

I guess I also don't really understand how the aspect ratios work really, because if a PS1 game does not fit my Vitas screen it would not make much sense to me seeing as a TV screen is bigger then the Vitas.

Ein Bear

I guess I also don't really understand how the aspect ratios work really, because if a PS1 game does not fit my Vitas screen it would not make much sense to me seeing as a TV screen is bigger then the Vitas.

Think of it this way: a PS1 game is outputting a square image, whilst the Vita's screen is a rectangle. Doesn't matter how big the screen is, you can't fit make a square image fill up a rectangle without stretching it out horizontally.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

That's a shame, I really wanted to pick it up but it isn't on the EU store for whatever stupid reason.

snap0212

Am I the only one who thinks that Sony may have huge problems with the PSOne emulator? I mean, the emu was announced back when the device was still named NGP and we've heard absolutely nothing substantial about it since then.

All we got to hear was:
a) It won't be ready for the launch in Japan.
b) It won't be ready for the US/PAL launch.
c) Keep waiting, we're working on it.

The Japan launch was about 6 months ago, the original announcement was made last year (in Janary). What's taking them so long?

I get this feeling that they just cannot get it to run. My prediction is that they'll announce the release of the emu during E3 but that only select titles will work.

Am I the only one who thinks that Sony may have huge problems with the PSOne emulator? I mean, the emu was announced back when the device was still named NGP and we've heard absolutely nothing substantial about it since then.

All we got to hear was:

The Japan launch was about 6 months ago, the original announcement was made last year (in Janary). What's taking them so long?

I get this feeling that they just cannot get it to run. My prediction is that they'll announce the release of the emu during E3 but that only select titles will work.

I think all titles will work flawlessly, and they will release it at E3. The only reason it's not out yet yet is because they want to give selling time to their Vita games imo.

impact

Banned

All we got to hear was:

doesn't make sense considering the PSP had flawless PS1 emulation

the real reason it's not out: Sony are inept

androvsky

All we got to hear was:

I doubt they're having any real trouble getting an emulator running, the PS1 is a lot easier to emulate than the PSP. The main problem would be QA of the hundreds of PS1 titles currently on PSN across Japan, Europe, and the U.S. Most of Sony's emulation expertise is probably still busy with the PSP emulator which apparently still needs work (or at least, more QA).

If we're lucky, they might be throwing in something nice like optional texture filtering, or remote play where instead of sending compressed video, the wifi connection acts as the cd-rom drive (zero lag remote play).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom