• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meredith Molinari with David Cage, Jack Tretton, and new Pulse Headset – 11:30am -12:00pm
The Last of Us – 12:00pm – 12:30pm
Sports Champions 2 – 12:30pm – 1:00pm
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale – 1:00pm -1:30pm
Unfinished Swan – 1:30pm – 2:00pm
DUST 514 – 2:00pm – 2:30pm
LittleBigPlanet Karting – 2:30pm – 3:00pm
Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation – 3:00pm – 3:15pm
When Vikings Attack – 3:15pm – 3:30pm
Soul Sacrifice – 3:30pm – 4:00pm
God of War: Ascension – 4:00pm – 4:30pm
LittleBigPlanet PS Vita – 4:30pm – 5:00pm
Far Cry 3 – 5:00pm – 5:30pm
PULSE LIVE: Day 1 Highlights – 5:30pm – 6:00pm

Drek

apparently they made a tactical decision to not show the vita stuff at the conference but on the show floor.

WAT

If I recall Sony said a couple of years ago that their perception of E3 is that the press conference is for business matters and news they want to go mainstream, conference floor is for the gamer appeal stuff.

The logic was that the major news outlets will potentially pick up a story from E3 if it has both mass market appeal and is shown in a nicely wrapped up conference format.

This is why Wonderbook got plenty of time at the conference. Rowling = network news/morning shows mention. Announcing any number of games for the Vita doesn't do that. Wonderbook needs that mass media bump and the name they've paid to attach to it will help assure that.

Meanwhile the Vita's lifeblood is winning over game journos and actual gamers by giving them Vita games to play on the conference floor.

Its stupid as fuck that they didn't slip a Vita montage in during the conference with a teaser like "here's a taste of the games you will all get to play or watch extended trailers of on the show floor!" But that is their outlook on E3. The main conference is to talk about how retail is going and/or announce new mainstream appeal shit.

guise srsly the press conferences are NOT SHOWING EVERY GAME EVER. All you are soooooooooooooooo crazy E3 has just started. I cannot believe what blind babies most of you are saying there is no games just because They didnt have enought time to show in a conference. Sheeeesh

Heysoos

guise srsly the press conferences are NOT SHOWING EVERY GAME EVER. All you are soooooooooooooooo crazy E3 has just started. I cannot believe what blind babies most of you are saying there is no games just because They didnt have enought time to show in a conference. Sheeeesh

They sure as hell had enough time to show that book shit. I really don't understand this post. People have every right to be mad/disappointed when they're making a 250+ dollar investment to support a platform, yet the ones who made the platform don't seem all that interested in supporting it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, fuck. Vita + tile floor =;

GXuAo.jpg

And it's imported from HK - any idea if Sony UK will even take it? Or how much they might charge to repair it?

They sure as hell had enough time to show that book shit. I really don't understand this post. People have every right to be mad/disappointed when they're making a 250+ dollar investment to support a platform, yet the ones who made the platform don't seem all that interested in supporting it.

so one press conference that is time restrained shows that they have no interest in the vita? Ok.

If I recall Sony said a couple of years ago that their perception of E3 is that the press conference is for business matters and news they want to go mainstream, conference floor is for the gamer appeal stuff.

The logic was that the major news outlets will potentially pick up a story from E3 if it has both mass market appeal and is shown in a nicely wrapped up conference format.

This is why Wonderbook got plenty of time at the conference. Rowling = network news/morning shows mention. Announcing any number of games for the Vita doesn't do that. Wonderbook needs that mass media bump and the name they've paid to attach to it will help assure that.

Meanwhile the Vita's lifeblood is winning over game journos and actual gamers by giving them Vita games to play on the conference floor.

Its stupid as fuck that they didn't slip a Vita montage in during the conference with a teaser like "here's a taste of the games you will all get to play or watch extended trailers of on the show floor!" But that is their outlook on E3. The main conference is to talk about how retail is going and/or announce new mainstream appeal shit.

Well thought out and reasonable post. I wish more people would read this.

VanWinkle

So you think it wasn't strange at all that Move got about 15 minutes of coverage, PS3 got about 95% of coverage, and their BRAND NEW system that need announcements more than anybody got about FIVE minutes?

They didn't have time to show it in a conference? They should have made time. My goodness, talk about a blind baby. That's what these conferences are for.

IMACOMPUTA

Its stupid as fuck that they didn't slip a Vita montage in during the conference with a teaser like "here's a taste of the games you will all get to play or watch extended trailers of on the show floor!" But that is their outlook on E3. The main conference is to talk about how retail is going and/or announce new mainstream appeal
shit.
Know what else makes news? Not supporting your new console and it appearing to be dead.

KalBalboa

Banned
So you think it wasn't strange at all that Move got about 15 minutes of coverage, PS3 got about 95% of coverage, and their BRAND NEW system that need announcements more than anybody got about FIVE minutes?

They didn't have time to show it in a conference? They should have made time. My goodness, talk about a blind baby. That's what these conferences are for.

E3 is basically a marketing presentation, so it's in their best interests to show each boxed product rather then just hordes of software, which is unfortunate to us. Move, Vita, Wonderbook, and PS3 were more important then individual Vita game for a 90 minute showcase.

VanWinkle

E3 is basically a marketing presentation, so it's in their best interests to show each boxed product rather then just hordes of software, which is unfortunate to us. Move, Vita, Wonderbook, and PS3 were more important then individual Vita game for a 90 minute showcase.

It seems to me that, if it's a marketing presentation, it would be in their best interest to hype up their new system that's not doing well, right?

Ummm at the Sony Blog Meredith is interviewing David cage and in the background is a TV showing different logos of companies and other things and a logo that looks like a new TriAce logo- just came across. PLEASE be a Vita RPG!

I'm a blind baby? Ok I bought the system. I know what games are coming. They announced a brand new Assassins creed, Call of Duty, Sly Cooper, Allstars, Metal Gear 2and3, Persona 4,Little Big Planet and so many more PSN + . But because they didn't show it in their press conference which they can't show everything means they hate it and dont care. WOW is all I can say to all of you. People hype up press conferences so much and then always get disappointed I wonder why. Trade in all your vitas I really don't care it doesn't effect me in the slightest. But to say there are no games coming and Sony doesnt care based off a media PRESS conference is just juvenile.

GXuAo.jpg

And it's imported from HK - any idea if Sony UK will even take it? Or how much they might charge to repair it?

I dunno, man. I mean, they should take it no problem, but it might be pricey to fix. I'm thinking in the $150 range. (~100 British pounds)

Tarin02543

GXuAo.jpg

That sucks dude. At least you got a very cool background now, albeit permanent.

DSGamer

Neo Member
I'm a blind baby? Ok I bought the system. I know what games are coming. They announced a brand new Assassins creed, Call of Duty, Sly Cooper, Allstars, Metal Gear 2and3, Persona 4,Little Big Planet and so many more PSN + . But because they didn't show it in their press conference which they can't show everything means they hate it and dont care. WOW is all I can say to all of you. People hype up press conferences so much and then always get disappointed I wonder why. Trade in all your vitas I really don't care it doesn't effect me in the slightest. But to say there are no games coming and Sony doesnt care based off a media PRESS conference is just juvenile.

*sigh*

Not everyone likes the same games. If you like those specific games then you're happy. If you're not into them then there was nothing for you. Simple as that. What they showed, very little, did nothing for me.

maybe they don't want a camera over the shoulder while someone is playing the Vita coverage

Lets say that they don't (which is fair since it looks weird as hell imo) but would it have killed them to show a sizzle reel/montage at least?. They usually do it anyways so why not this time especially when it seems the product itself is gathering a storm cloud over it.

This is one of the problems though with a decision like this. Fair enough they want get mass market,etc but at least show the owners of a new product jjust launched that its is still getting some love rather than it looks like they are dropping the thing cold turkey.

VanWinkle

You threw the "blind babies" thing out and it seemed to me that you were being more blind. They announced Assassins Creed for Vita, yes, a third-party title by a dev with a bad track record (not saying anything about the quality of this game, of course), they showed off the logo and subtitle of a game that we have known will be coming for a year and a half. They announced a Vita version of Sly Cooper weeks ago. All-stars - yes, I agree with that one, but didn't even show it. Metal Gear HD Collection was announced a long time ago, maybe even last E3. Persona 4 - cool that it was announced, but it was before E3 and not by Sony. Little Big Planet was announced a long time ago, well before LAST E3. I don't know what you mean by PSN +, but if you're talking about PS Plus that's still not a Vita feature.

I'm not trading in my Vita. I love my Vita. I know there are some good games coming. The problem is that Sony doesn't cover their struggling brand new console at their premier conference. That doesn't instill confidence in their faith in the product. It doesn't make sense to me. It upsets me as someone who loves the Vita. If they cover Move more than Vita, that's disheartening to me.

patsu

I have no idea why people are outraged at the E3 conference. ^_^
Sony sunk in a sh*t millions of $$$ on Vita, pre and post production. They will be MUCH more concerned than us over the $300 Vita's success.

Sony need to conserve $$$ for other ventures, and rainy days. So they won't able to splurge on Vita just because they want instant sales result. Profit is more important for a business. As long as Vita h/w and s/w income run positive, they will grow it at their "comfortable but careful" pace.

Haliela

I just don't know what to do...

I think the Vita is an amazing system with so much potential. It looks great and plays even better. The features it offers are exactly what I want in a handheld plus games like Little Big Planet, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed are all wins for me.

What scares me is Sony dropping this thing like a Virtual Boy, and my investment becomes a paperweight by sometime next year. Right now I can at least get $120 trade in credit, but I seriously don't want to sell it.

So much doom and gloom around the net lately has me in the dumps over my Vita :( It seems so little have any optimism for this thing any more.

I think the Vita is an amazing system with so much potential. It looks great and plays even better. The features it offers are exactly what I want in a handheld plus games like Little Big Planet, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed are all wins for me.

What scares me is Sony dropping this thing like a Virtual Boy, and my investment becomes a paperweight by sometime next year. Right now I can at least get $120 trade in credit, but I seriously don't want to sell it.

So much doom and gloom around the net lately has me in the dumps over my Vita :( It seems so little have any optimism for this thing any more.

They're not dropping it at all. Lots of doomsayers out there. There are quite a few games being shown on the E3 floor. Granted, they really should have shown more about it at their conference, but the support is there.

Apath

E3 generally represents the direction the company is going in and what their big pushes are going to be. Relegating the Vita to a side show does nothing to instill confidence in the device. Especially when the Vita is both struggling and in desperate need of positive press. Being ignored at Sony's E3 press conference is going to make people question Sony's confidence and commitment to the Vita.

Some people's reactions are a little hyperbolic or over dramatic, but the overall idea of being disappointed or even angry at Sony doesn't make anyone a "blind baby".

spats

Wait til gamescom, which is a few months away. SCEE gods will bring the goods, I can feel it in my bones.

Vita is going to be a very ironic name for this handheld unless they start showing it some support. I won't sell mine but I'm quite underwhelmed so far.

darkwing

wait until you have played Gravity Rush, then LBP, perhaps Persona 4, then of course Soul Sacrifice , maybe a little of Sound Shapes , if you can wait for a bit, AC:Liberation then decide if you want to sell it

VanWinkle

Wait til gamescom, which is a few months away. SCEE gods will bring the goods, I can feel it in my bones.

Well, we would have called someone absolutely insane if they had said Sony would have only spent about 5 minutes on Vita at their E3 conference. So, yeah, I don't have much faith in Gamescom to say the least.

Haliela

wait until you have played Gravity Rush, then LBP, perhaps Persona 4, then of course Soul Sacrifice , maybe a little of Sound Shapes , if you can wait for a bit, AC:Liberation then decide if you want to sell it

I do want all of those except maybe Sound Shapes (don't know anything about it). Gravity Rush drops next week, and I'm pretty excited for it. I didn't own a PSP, so there's lots of titles to keep me busy there if I ever need them...

denshuu

I've been trying to decide when to pick one of these up, and Ubisoft just forced the hell out of my hand. That all white AC3: Beyonce Edition bundle is mine. I just wish there were more Vita exclusive titles on it.. I don't really want the same games I played on my PS3 on my handheld when I can just play those games on my console in the first place.

I get the appeal of having my console titles with me when I'm on the go, but when if I'm not at home, that usually means I'm out with friends, at work, or driving somewhere. In any of those cases I'm not playing handheld games. In those brief moments where I'm waiting in an elevator or standing in line, I'm playing cell phone games for a few minutes. Dodonpachi Maximum is perfect for that.

I've been trying to decide when to pick one of these up, and Ubisoft just forced the hell out of my hand. That all white AC3: Beyonce Edition bundle is mine. I just wish there were more Vita exclusive titles on it.. I don't really want the same games I played on my PS3 on my handheld when I can just play those games on my console in the first place.

I get the appeal of having my console titles with me when I'm on the go, but when if I'm not at home, that usually means I'm out with friends, at work, or driving somewhere. In any of those cases I'm not playing handheld games. In those brief moments where I'm waiting in an elevator or standing in line, I'm playing cell phone games for a few minutes. Dodonpachi Maximum is perfect for that.

Ubisoft amazed people left and right this year. Seriously, they were the winner of E3 (followed very closely by The Last of Us)

kitch9

Banned
*sigh*

Not everyone likes the same games. If you like those specific games then you're happy. If you're not into them then there was nothing for you. Simple as that. What they showed, very little, did nothing for me.

Should Sony ring you and ask you what you want? Maybe they should ring all their customers yes?

My guess is a price drop is imminent, and they will bring the hype at the time of the price drop. I'm guessing around the time of that minor event called Christmas.

Why don't you ask 3ds owners what it was like in the early months, and how it is now? The 3ds proves there's a substantial market for handhelds, albeit one that is clearly price driven.

Should Sony ring you and ask you what you want? Maybe they should ring all their customers yes?

My guess is a price drop is imminent, and they will bring the hype at the time of the price drop. I'm guessing around the time of that minor event called Christmas.

Why don't you ask 3ds owners what it was like in the early months, and how it is now? The 3ds proves there's a substantial market for handhelds, albeit one that is clearly price driven.

I really hope Sony does some sort of ambassador program if they drop the price.

yurinka

Games were also important for 3DS in addition to the price cut. Mario, Monster Hunter (in Japan) and Mario Kart made people to want a 3DS.

Considering the value of the horsepower and the included services, Vita is less overpriced than 3DS was, but I think that has the same issue that the 3DS had at launch window. It has Uncharted, Wipeout etc (3DS had SFIV or Ocarina) but needs more big IPs.

So I bet that as soon as great selling IPs like CoD and Assasins Creed (we need more of these because they aren't Mario/Mario Kart) are released and when it gets more catalog (unique games like Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Sound Shapes, PS1 and PS Mobile will help even if they aren't big sellers), the Vita sales are going to improve. A small price cut always help though.
I really hope Sony does some sort of ambassador program if they drop the price.
Well, they just did it this week for PS3 users with PS+. Let's hope they do something similar when bringing PS+ to Vita.

Also there is another Vita Gaming Heaven event this month. So new games will be announced there too. They were taking a lot of criticism from the last one, so hopefully this next one is much better.

Drek

Know what else makes news? Not supporting your new console and it appearing to be dead.

And if Sony + 3rd parties combined have two dozen unreleased titles playable on the show floor most will quickly forget about the conference.

This is one of the problems though with a decision like this. Fair enough they want get mass market,etc but at least show the owners of a new product jjust launched that its is still getting some love rather than it looks like they are dropping the thing cold turkey.
The problem is the short news cycle where yesterday and today the Vita could be dead, then the rest of the week we hear glowing stories about all the playable Vita games on the show floor and everyone will do a complete 180.

Do I think a 10 minute window for an intro, extended sizzle reel, and teaser line at the end for show goers to get them hyped for what they'll get to play in the coming days would make a ton of sense? Sure. But Sony isn't thinking about how this E3 will be perceived on an hour by hour basis. They look at it as "well we'll focus on the Vita on-floor, that is a strong commitment, people will see that".

It is a matter of managing perception. If Sony had simply added a 5 minute teaser reel, thrown out a hard date for PS1 roll out of mid-July, confirmed that the existing PS3/PSP lineup will play on it, and then had even ONE Vita related handout for PS+ members in the new PS+ "library" package the perception would have been dramatically different. Everyone would be saying "I can't wait to see what's on the show floor!" and we'd have all these threads stretching on with people bitching about "when we getting floor reports!" instead of "Vita is dead, Sony don't care!"

Poor image management on Sony's part. As a company they still have failed to wrap their mind around the instant gratification consumers now demand and the 24 hour news cycle that has emerged to support their demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom