• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

Bleh so bummed Rayman Legends is a Wii U exclusive. Loved origin, would have loved to play legends on my vita :<

Platformers just feels so right on this (Not to mention the bite sized levels for when I play on the go).

Drek

I just don't know what to do...

I think the Vita is an amazing system with so much potential. It looks great and plays even better. The features it offers are exactly what I want in a handheld plus games like Little Big Planet, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed are all wins for me.

What scares me is Sony dropping this thing like a Virtual Boy, and my investment becomes a paperweight by sometime next year. Right now I can at least get $120 trade in credit, but I seriously don't want to sell it.

So much doom and gloom around the net lately has me in the dumps over my Vita :( It seems so little have any optimism for this thing any more.

Really? Play out the worst case life cycle for the Vita.

Sony effectively ends support for it late next year. In that time we'll get AC:L, Gravity Rush, LBP, a Killzone game, already have WipEout and will get the add on content by then, Persona 4 will be out, etc.. Initial PS1 playback will be out. The PSP library will be healthily expanded.

At that point with no Sony overlords to crack down with firmware updates it likely gets hacked, custome FW'ed, and turns into the greatest emulation handheld of all time, with more than enough horsepower to run anything pre-Dreamcast at full speed.

Imagine all those nice bells and whistles you can have with ePSXe on a handheld with THAT screen. Also, PSP game playback would be cracked in a matter of months, not years, with near 100% compatibility.

The system has a very intriguing life simply as a replacement "all in one" emu handheld once Sony walks away form it, whenever that is.

Rootbeer

Banned
Will LEGO Lord of the Rings be for Vita? Early information seems to indicate PSP, but the official site only shows the playstation logo, not the PS3 or PSP logo

Please come to Vita :(

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm sure it will. They put those Lego games on every console in existence.

Well, I've done my part... I've already ordered LEGO Batman 2 on Vita the instant it was available. I hope more people support it so they won't leave the platform behind.

Now I'm crossing my fingers hoping it won't be the lazy game that Harry Potter 4 - 6 was on the Vita

jonno394

The system has a very intriguing life simply as a replacement "all in one" emu handheld once Sony walks away form it, whenever that is.

Yeah that's exactly why i bought a vita....i want new unique experiences not the prospect of a portable emulator.

Bleh so bummed Rayman Legends is a Wii U exclusive. Loved origin, would have loved to play legends on my vita :<

Platformers just feels so right on this (Not to mention the bite sized levels for when I play on the go).

This is the biggest disappointment for me this E3. Rayman Origins was my #1 of 2011. I have it on PS3, PC and Vita and now Legends is only on one platform I have no interest in owning.

panda21

i dont quite get all the vita hate, or at least the predictions of doom.

it has way more games and cool stuff coming than the 3ds had this early on. the 3ds has still basically just the nintendo games. same goes for the psp. sony hardly did anything with at launch from what i remember.

what were you expecting?

looking at what i have on mine right now and what we know is coming this year, the line up is superior to the wii u...

mauaus

This is the biggest disappointment for me this E3. Rayman Origins was my #1 of 2011. I have it on PS3, PC and Vita and now Legends is only on one platform I have no interest in owning.

Ugggh so heartbreaking :(
I too absolutely adored origins i hope its a timed exclusive!

kitch9

Banned
Games were also important for 3DS in addition to the price cut. Mario, Monster Hunter (in Japan) and Mario Kart made people to want a 3DS.

Considering the value of the horsepower and the included services, Vita is less overpriced than 3DS was, but I think that has the same issue that the 3DS had at launch window. It has Uncharted, Wipeout etc (3DS had SFIV or Ocarina) but needs more big IPs.

So I bet that as soon as great selling IPs like CoD and Assasins Creed (we need more of these because they aren't Mario/Mario Kart) are released and when it gets more catalog (unique games like Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Sound Shapes, PS1 and PS Mobile will help even if they aren't big sellers), the Vita sales are going to improve. A small price cut always help though.

Well, they just did it this week for PS3 users with PS+. Let's hope they do something similar when bringing PS+ to Vita.

Vita has plenty of games, especially when you consider its age, and there's some cracking stuff coming that's been announced a while.

The handheld market is clearly price driven, and you can have the best product in the world, but if it's priced too high it won't sell quickly.

i dont quite get all the vita hate, or at least the predictions of doom.

it has way more games and cool stuff coming than the 3ds had this early on. the 3ds has still basically just the nintendo games. same goes for the psp. sony hardly did anything with at launch from what i remember.

what were you expecting?

looking at what i have on mine right now and what we know is coming this year, the line up is superior to the wii u...

E3 always brings out the forums hyperbolic head slappers.

I just don't know what to do...

I think the Vita is an amazing system with so much potential. It looks great and plays even better. The features it offers are exactly what I want in a handheld plus games like Little Big Planet, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed are all wins for me.

What scares me is Sony dropping this thing like a Virtual Boy, and my investment becomes a paperweight by sometime next year. Right now I can at least get $120 trade in credit, but I seriously don't want to sell it.

So much doom and gloom around the net lately has me in the dumps over my Vita :( It seems so little have any optimism for this thing any more.

They should have had more at the press conference, we can all agree on that. But I don't think they're dropping it at all.

The biggest mistake they made with Vita was the epic launch line-up. While it looked good pre-release, the hype quickly faded. They should have released with Uncharted, and then dropped new games every couple of weeks. That would have given them more time to polish the likes of ModNation Racers too.

I imagine, all of the teams that worked on launch titles have now moved on to new products -- but we're not going to see them for another year. And that's why there's a gap right now.

Massa

SCEA knows two things: big budget cinematic games and poorly copying other successful ideas.

It's a shame they didn't copy Nintendo's or Apple's dedication to the portable market. Here's a depressing example: Apple talked more about games on their iPad 3 conference than Sony talked about the Vita at their E3 press conference.

I just hope that SCEE and SCEJ have a lot to show on Vita. How Sony does not ask PD make a GT for Vita is baffling to me.
Originally Posted by Drek:

Sony does not abandon its systems. The PS3 is the ultimate proof of that.

theBishop

Banned
SCEA knows two things: big budget cinematic games and poorly copying other successful ideas.

It's a shame they didn't copy Nintendo's or Apple's dedication to the portable market. Here's a depressing example: Apple talked more about games on their iPad 3 conference than Sony talked about the Vita at their E3 press conference.

You missed a lot of PSP games. Particularly from Japan Studio.

yurinka

Vita has plenty of games, especially when you consider its age, and there's some cracking stuff coming that's been announced a while.
I agree. Vita has a lot of great stuff released, and a lot of great stuff coming for this year (LBP, MGSHD trilogy, CoD, AC3 liberation, etc).
But I'd like to know more games announced. Who knows, maybe they're saving stuff for Gamescon or TGS because they're too specific market focused.

Sony gets their main revenue from home consoles, and will see a new generation being announced next year. So they have to push it now because next year the other will get all the focus. Portable gaming is secondary to them. Just the opposite than Apple, they biggest products are phone and tablets.

Sinthetic

Just made a list of Vita games I'm going to get, the list is really big.

Definitely way more quality stuff than I thought there was.

yurinka

There was an interview some mins ago to the Unfinished Swan creative director. Has been asked about a PS Vita version of if he was experimenting with it and he said "right now no comments, can't talk about it even for the PS blog". So looks like that Unfinished Swan or a new game from these guys is coming to PSVita.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/05/playstation-e3-live-broadcast-starts-in-minutes/

SCEA publishes their games, Massa. Like they did with others like Journey or Everyday Shooter to name a few.

There was an interview some mins ago to the Unfinished Swan creative director. Has been asked about a PS Vita version of if he was experimenting with it and he said "right now no comments, can't talk about it even for the PS blog". So looks like that Unfinished Swan or a new game from these guys is coming to PSVita.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/05/playstation-e3-live-broadcast-starts-in-minutes/

SCEA publishes their games, Massa. Like they did with others like Journey or Everyday Shooter to name a few.

Was thinking this would pull a reverse sound shapes and cross over to the Vita as well.

VanWinkle

Not necessarily. Rey could have very well just not known if it was coming to Vita or not and was wondering.

Ran rp

If I recall Sony said a couple of years ago that their perception of E3 is that the press conference is for business matters and news they want to go mainstream, conference floor is for the gamer appeal stuff.

The logic was that the major news outlets will potentially pick up a story from E3 if it has both mass market appeal and is shown in a nicely wrapped up conference format.

This is why Wonderbook got plenty of time at the conference. Rowling = network news/morning shows mention. Announcing any number of games for the Vita doesn't do that. Wonderbook needs that mass media bump and the name they've paid to attach to it will help assure that.

Meanwhile the Vita's lifeblood is winning over game journos and actual gamers by giving them Vita games to play on the conference floor.

Its stupid as fuck that they didn't slip a Vita montage in during the conference with a teaser like "here's a taste of the games you will all get to play or watch extended trailers of on the show floor!" But that is their outlook on E3. The main conference is to talk about how retail is going and/or announce new mainstream appeal shit.

This post, the Vita trailers, and info about tons of Vita's on the showroom floor have restored my faith in the Vita. But a quick Vita montage would've been nice.

Shouldn't have let all that GAF-DOOM get to me.

Drek

Yeah that's exactly why i bought a vita....i want new unique experiences not the prospect of a portable emulator.

Which is what it is currently getting, and will for the healthy life span Sony will keep it alive.

Sony does not abandon its systems. The PS3 is the ultimate proof of that.
I agree. But whenever Sony does stop with regular system updates and/or it is hacked for custom firmware it will become the single best handheld emulator system we've ever seen. That's probably 6+ years out, I'm just pointing it out now because people act like if Sony folds up their support and goes home the system becomes useless, when instead it could very possibly become a a whole new kind of platform at that point, very worthwhile for any gamer to have around.

dc89

When PSOne titles come to Vita, they aren't going to make us double dip are they, like someone suggested in another thread.

They better not, cause I will seriously consider selling my Vita.

GQman2121

Banned
When PSOne titles come to Vita, they aren't going to make us double dip are they, like someone suggested in another thread.

They better not, cause I will seriously consider selling my Vita.

Not a chance. Any games you already have downloaded to your account you'll be able to transfer over. It'll be just like the PSP games, including - I'm sure - compatibility issues and all!

So Gravity Rush launches next week
We're definitely getting an OT, right?

It seems like the perfect game to relax and enjoy to after the E3 Vita meltdown

Mr.Fresh

Did you guys see that Hatsune Miku Vita is coming to NA?

In Japan, Hatsune Miku Project Diva F is a big enough game to command its own Vita hardware bundle, featuring a special-edition console and everything. In North America, it's something I randomly happened upon in Sony's E3 2012 booth, completely unheralded and unexplained. This difference in status makes sense, given that it's a music game about, starring, and featuring music by a virtual anime idol with a synthesized voice. In Japanese.

Called simply "Hatsune Miku" in its demo station, the game has you hit X and O in response to on-screen prompts (X and O icons flying into them), along with timed touchscreen swipes and directional presses, while Miku dances around on the screen. You're graded on the timing of each hit, and if you miss, it pops up as "WORST" which hurts pretty bad, guys.

The song I played was called "Catfood." Did I mention that I was surprised to see this in North America? There was no release info, or really anything. Just a demo unit sitting there.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/hatsune-miku-bringing-synthesized-vocal-music-gaming-to-north/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JKARP8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone see this? Just hopped on amazon and noticed it

41CJmuKxLGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

never knew it existed

Haliela

Really? Play out the worst case life cycle for the Vita.

Sony effectively ends support for it late next year. In that time we'll get AC:L, Gravity Rush, LBP, a Killzone game, already have WipEout and will get the add on content by then, Persona 4 will be out, etc.. Initial PS1 playback will be out. The PSP library will be healthily expanded.

At that point with no Sony overlords to crack down with firmware updates it likely gets hacked, custome FW'ed, and turns into the greatest emulation handheld of all time, with more than enough horsepower to run anything pre-Dreamcast at full speed.

Imagine all those nice bells and whistles you can have with ePSXe on a handheld with THAT screen. Also, PSP game playback would be cracked in a matter of months, not years, with near 100% compatibility.

Excellent point. I never thought about the emu possibilities.

emu.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Girlfriend is in the other room, cheering at getting a bunch of free PS3 games through PS+. While I'm sitting here, wishing I had something new to spend my money on.

Profound sadness.

hertog

Just for the fact that I don't have a tablet and I'm already able to watch youtube on my vita, I'm never selling it.

Already I love my extended PSP collection, resistance, uncharted, disgaea, mutant blob, super stardust and after that Persona and gravity rush.
It's my most beloved handheld since the gamegear
I'm always on the losing team :(

patsu

Not a bad idea. Been meaning to give Mutant Blobs a try.

Yeah, I skipped on quite a few PSP titles.

Bought Persona 3 2 months ago. After 123+ play hours, I'm still not done yet (Trying to complete as many sidequests as I can). I think the great PSP games are worthwhile investment too since the quality is known, and some are cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom