• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yjynx

so basically psp emulator would removed from vita very soon? oh and don't blame the hackers they're the saint that make us able to play pokemon on vita that most people play it only for less an hour.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
so basically psp emulator would removed from vita very soon? oh and don't blame the hackers they're the saint that make us able to play pokemon on vita that most people play it only for less an hour.
Why are you mad?
The PSP emulator isn't going anywhere.

Eusis

lol I know that most likely Sony going to patch it soon. But can you denied that such scenario wouldn't happen?
I think it depends on how badly broken open it is, it WILL be tighter with each exploit found I imagine unless they manage to find some holy grail of hacking, in which case they either have to give up and leave it be, or drop access.

How much could Sony drop the price? The 3DS is still close to $200, and as much I like the 3DS, the Vita is a much more powerful device.

I think $199 with a 4gb card is likely. I think $199 with a 4gb and a game (little deviants?, SSD? Escape Plan?) would be smarter.

Sony knows that the Vita is in trouble. Im not trying to be all doom and gloom, as I still think the Vita is going to be a success in the long run.... but this first year is going to seem dire at times.

PSsuite will help. PSone games will help. First party output will be decent. I think those of us that are happy with our vitas will remain happy - and i don't think it's gonna die prematurely. But, yeah... right now things aren't rosy inside of sony. That's good news though, that means they know they need to do something.

ss_lemonade

nVjto.jpg

awwww shiiiiiiii time for some Pokemon Blue
Never tried this yet (and I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon), but this is basically running off the psp emulator right? That means its running at psp resolution, then upscaled to the vita's res?

Also, has there been any news on psx support? Man, I hope its has like a dedicated emulator to run the games instead of just running off the psp emulator to do the ps1 stuff

TheTowel

I think $199 with a 4gb card is likely. I think $199 with a 4gb and a game (little deviants?, SSD? Escape Plan?) would be smarter.

Sony knows that the Vita is in trouble. Im not trying to be all doom and gloom, as I still think the Vita is going to be a success in the long run.... but this first year is going to seem dire at times.

PSsuite will help. PSone games will help. First party output will be decent. I think those of us that are happy with our vitas will remain happy - and i don't think it's gonna die prematurely. But, yeah... right now things aren't rosy inside of sony. That's good news though, that means they know they need to do something.

Agree. The $199 price point is much more appealing and throwing in a small card and possibly a game should move some units. In the meantime, I think we'll see them milk the $250 price point until further down the road (holidays?)

Bukana

Again:

Also, what's the verdict on Phantasy Star Portable 2, can I buy it from the UK store and transfer it to my Vita!? Also, how is the co-op experience!?Do we share the same exp or loot!?

Again:

Also, what's the verdict on Phantasy Star Portable 2, can I buy it from the UK store and transfer it to my Vita!? Also, how is the co-op experience!?Do we share the same exp or loot!?

I was actually trying this last night (I had the game already but was checking for someone else). I couldn't find the game anywhere on either the Vita or PS3 store and the game couldn't be downloaded to Vita anyway (UK store).

I haven't played it enough to know the technical answers about the game itself though :p

CLEEK

I've asked on the "stupid gaming questions" thread and didn't receive any answer, so maybe this isn't so stupid: Which components stay on in a PS3, when it's turned off and the "Remote Start" setting is activated? Can it cause any wear or damage to those components, with time?

I'd imagine the only difference between the PS3 being off (as it, with the standby light on, not unplugged from the mains) and being in remote start mode is the network components would be on in low power mode. I assume that remote start just uses Wake On LAN to start the console up when it receives the magic packet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Bukana

I was actually trying this last night (I had the game already but was checking for someone else). I couldn't find the game anywhere on either the Vita or PS3 store and the game couldn't be downloaded to Vita anyway (UK store).

I haven't played it enough to know the technical answers about the game itself though :p

Some people said the game is still in the UK store and you can transfer it to Vita. I just want to be sure this is correct before buying.

Thanks anyways.

Again:

Co-op is a lot of fun!

You can drop in for co-op with a team as long as they haven't started a mission. Exp is shared, but you need to hit the enemy at least once. This can be melee, spells, debuff, etc. It all counts. Each player has gets their own loot. If you see a rare item drop on your side, the other player can't see it or grab it. You can trade items with other players, but only low rank stuff.

Again:

If you didn't buy it already you can't get it I'm pretty sure. But if you can, gotta buy on ps3 and transfer. Only works for eu version of the game so you should be in the clear.

Bukana

If you didn't buy it already you can't get it I'm pretty sure. But if you can, gotta buy on ps3 and transfer. Only works for eu version of the game so you should be in the clear.

Oh, damn it!!, I wanted to play it so bad!!!!, I don't know anybody bought it :( .

Anyone else having problems connecting the vita to the internet? My 3ds connects fine, and I have full bars on my wi-fi spot, but the vita will just give up every time I try to connect to any wi-fi. I've reset the system countless times, which normally fixes it, but no luck. Searching the error code does nothing. Also, it's a different error than normal, going by the error log, anyways. Any help?

Syn23

I'd imagine the only difference between the PS3 being off (as it, with the standby light on, not unplugged from the mains) and being in remote start mode is the network components would be on in low power mode. I assume that remote start just uses Wake On LAN to start the console up when it receives the magic packet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
Thanks.
So, basically, there isn't any risk for the compnents in the long run. Good to know, I'll try to use it.

edit: Ok, I'm sorry to be OCD, but the PS3 actually makes a little noise when it's turned off and the remote startup option is activated. If the only component working would be the network card, shouldn't it be completely quiet?

People are still using some April Fool's cover magazine as source.
http://www.play-mag.co.uk/magazine-issues/play-217-assassins-creed-iii-secrets-exposed/

The cover was real btw, no April Fool joke. You can download the issue from Zinio or buy it and see for yourself

The actual cover is misleading as hell though. Article mentioning something about inside sources and how GTA SHOULD be on the Vita, not that it's actually coming out on the device.

It's sensationalistic press hoping people will buy the mag.

On topic, I'm seriously interested in CoD and how they are approaching the handheld.

Anyone else think PlayStation All Stars, God of War: Ascension and Little Big Planet Karting should've been Vita exclusives, or at least be crossplatform?

I don't understand why Sony would reveal so many PS3 exclusives while their brand new handheld is failing and isn't getting anything.

SmokyDave

Anyone else think PlayStation All Stars, God of War: Ascension and Little Big Planet Karting should've been Vita exclusives, or at least be crossplatform?

I don't understand why Sony would reveal so many PS3 exclusives while their brand new handheld is failing and isn't getting anything.

Fantasy reason: The Vita needs a lot of breathing room at E3.

Real reason: Sony fucking suck. The PSP succeeded in spite of them, not because of them.

DiscoJer

I think we all know that Sony is dysfunctional when it comes to working together. My guess is there is a serious disconnect between the people who came up with the Vita (the hardware side) and the software divisions.

That even extends to SOE - when the PSP launched, it had an Untold Legends game, which was a decent (if unremarkable) loot RPG and they actually followed it up with a couple decent retail games in the couple years past launch until they (like the rest of Sony) seemed to forget about the PSP. By contrast, the Vita's support from SOE was limited to a very overpriced port of a PopCap game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So the first of my Vita stuff arrived, and by first I mean just Uncharted, lol, these game cases are tiny.

Now just the Vita, Memory Card and Case.
I have a feeling the Vita is going to come before the Memory Card leaving me with nothing to play with, lol.

So after seeing the Rayman Legends trailer I was thinking about going back to Origins on my Vita and collect the remaining trophies. Turns out that my saves are gone. Now it seems like that my save data was actually stored in that bubble on the home screen and removing that bubble means deleting my save data. Now I'm not particularly mad about losing my Rayman save, but that is still a really dumb solution. How about storing something like that in a separate place and have an OCD-friendly solution that allows me to keep the home screen tidy?

Or maybe I'm just missing something. Can I restore my save somewhere? When I delete a PSN game do I lose my saves, too?

scottzorus

Neo Member
So after seeing the Rayman Legends trailer I was thinking about going back to Origins on my Vita and collect the remaining trophies. Turns out that my saves are gone. Now it seems like that my save data was actually stored in that bubble on the home screen and removing that bubble means deleting my save data. Now I'm not particularly mad about losing my Rayman save, but that is still a really dumb solution. How about storing something like that in a separate place and have an OCD-friendly solution that allows me to keep the home screen tidy?

Or maybe I'm just missing something. Can I restore my save somewhere? When I delete a PSN game do I lose my saves, too?

Yep, saves are tied to the bubble. You can backup your whole vita game (including saves) to your pc/ps3 with the content manager. You could then delete your bubble (along with the save) and then restore your game/bubble/save with content manager again when you want to play the game again.

Ermm yes that's how it works - you delete bubble - everything is gone.

As far as solution - I made additional "graveyard" tab where i drop games I don't play.

Koroviev

So the first of my Vita stuff arrived, and by first I mean just Uncharted, lol, these game cases are tiny.

Not just the Vita, Memory Card and Case.
I have a feeling the Vita is going to come before the Memory Card leaving with to play with, lol.

If you think the game cartridges are small, wait until you see the memory card. Size of a fingernail at most!

daoster

I think we all know that Sony is dysfunctional when it comes to working together. My guess is there is a serious disconnect between the people who came up with the Vita (the hardware side) and the software divisions.

That even extends to SOE - when the PSP launched, it had an Untold Legends game, which was a decent (if unremarkable) loot RPG and they actually followed it up with a couple decent retail games in the couple years past launch until they (like the rest of Sony) seemed to forget about the PSP. By contrast, the Vita's support from SOE was limited to a very overpriced port of a PopCap game.

I mean, this is infuriating. If, as Sony claim, it's fairly easy to port over a PS3 game to the Vita, then lead by example with your damn games.

PS Allstars and LBP racing would have been a great game for cross platform gameplay.

laika09

SOE just had 3 studio closures and employs about half the people they did in 2006.

Their position in SCE WWS has always been a bit weird since they have virtually no interaction or relation with anyone else. They just kinda focus on EQ/EQ2 and a couple other MMOs.

Just got 50 euro credit and I'm looking for some good PSN or PSP games to play on my Vita, I'm mostly interested in RPGs I was thinking of TitS or Persona 2 but I'd rather get a bunch of cheaper games. The only PSP RPGs I've played have been Persona 3 Portable, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics

Massa

All Stars and LBP Karting should to be on the PS3 first. They're launching these franchises to hopefully have an iteration on each of their consoles and the PS3 is a stronger platform to debut on. Then they can drive Vita sales in a couple of years and PS4 in 4-5 years.

God of War is a core game on the PS3. The PS3 has absolutely nothing this year except for maybe The Last of Us, while the Vita will have many more with at least 3 big hitters (Uncharted, Killzone, LBP), plus other first party games like Wipeout, Hot Shots, Unit 13, Resistance, Gravity Daze. I think it's a bit myopic to complain about the PS3 having that game, they shouldn't completely drop either of their platforms. E3 is right around the corner and we'll have a better outlook on their plans then, not before.

The PSP Emulator will not be moved from the Vita just because of homebrew. It's a money maker, especially with the limited amount of games on Vita right now.

Spiegel

All Stars and LBP Karting should to be on the PS3 first. They're launching these franchises to hopefully have an iteration on each of their consoles and the PS3 is a stronger platform to debut on. Then they can drive Vita sales in a couple of years and PS4 in 4-5 years.

No, they should be released on both consoles at the same time. These games live by their multiplayer and with Sony pushing crossplatform play hard it really is mindblowing that Vita versions are not announced or maybe even in development.

GoW:A for Vita doesn't make sense.

No, they should be released on both consoles at the same time. These games live by their multiplayer and with Sony pushing crossplatform play hard it really is mindblowing that Vita versions are not announced or maybe even in development.

GoW:A for Vita doesn't make sense.

No reason not to release games day and date with their PS3 counterparts IMO. Might as well drive sales now when the IP is hot and the price of the console is higher. Get people on board early.

There's a way to get the browser and a game running at the same time on the Vita, it's a bug within Livetweet.

While a game is running open Livetweet and tap on any link that is of a picture hosted on twitter's own servers (pics.twitter.com) and it should open the browser without asking to close the game.

You're free to browse whatever website you want.

FKGG0.jpg

I didnt know this, thats horrible, Im the same way, dont like having bubbles on screen if Im not using, ugh, oh well, least I found this out.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If you think the game cartridges are small, wait until you see the memory card. Size of a fingernail at most!

Heh, just waiting for my memory card now, I was leaving to go to ikea and just as I closed the front door a guy pulled up and gave me a box with my Vita stuff.

So now I am waiting to get home an play with it a little, even if I can't play Uncharted yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom