• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I've played a bit with my Vita, one question though, what's the best screen protector to get for it?

The screen is nice but the whole front is just laid bare waiting for nasty things to accidentally happen to it, and nobody likes ugly scratches and an abundance of smudges.

So I've played a bit with my Vita, one question though, what's the best screen protector to get for it?

The screen is nice but the whole front is just laid bare waiting for nasty things to accidentally happen to it, and nobody likes ugly scratches and an abundance of smudges.

Hori screen/body protector. Thank me later.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hori screen/body protector. Thank me later.

Ordered.

Though TheHut have it listed as "Usually dispatched within a month" with the estimated dispatch date being June 6th, anyone know where I could get it for around the same price of £7 but without the month+ wait?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Just noticed a box at the bottom of the box the Vita came in, boxes for everyone!

Ahem.. says it was some pre-order bonus with headphones and £5 off voucher for either Little Deviants, Super Stardust Delta, Hustle kings or Escape Plan, can't remember it saying this was coming with the vita, pretty nice extra.

Number45

Picked up Escape Plan a couple of days ago and have been putting some time into it. It's really difficult to quantify how I feel about the game - it looks great, and has some lovely charming touches (and the music is great), but the game is really hard in places. Not "oh, I can't work out how to do this" hard, but "wow, I really could use an extra hand" hard. :/

There are sections you need to multi touch the front, and to lay the Vita down is the best way to deal with it, and then the game requires you to use the back touch as well.

dyergram

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I wouldn't say crappy, but they are definitely a noticeable step down from the console versions (those looked absolutely incredible).

Still, 60 fps and the gameplay seems to be exactly the same. I quit MK because I didn't have time to practice and it frustrated me to lose online, but I'm getting back into it since now I can carry the Vita version to train around.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just noticed a box at the bottom of the box the Vita came in, boxes for everyone!

Ahem.., says it was some pre-order bonus with headphones and £5 off voucher for certain games, can't remember it saying this was coming with the vita, pretty sweet extra.

Ah, thanks for the reminder, I never got around to digging my AR cards out of the box. I'll probably never use them, but at least they didn't end up getting tossed out.

Anyways, I'm buying a couple PSP games to hold me over until Gravity Rush, starting with Trails in the Sky. It may not even be Vita compatible, but I'm trying to remember the name of a game...it was Japanese, and it featured a character that had to do all sorts of different jobs. It came out a couple years ago. Kind of vague, but it's name is escaping me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Ah, thanks for the reminder, I never got around to digging my AR cards out of the box. I'll probably never use them, but at least they didn't end up getting tossed out.

Anyways, I'm buying a couple PSP games to hold me over until Gravity Rush, starting with Trails in the Sky. It may not even be Vita compatible, but I'm trying to remember the name of a game...it was Japanese, and it featured a character that had to do all sorts of different jobs. It came out a couple years ago. Kind of vague, but it's name is escaping me.

Is there anything the AR Cards do out of the box on the system without having to buy anything? I can't say I saw anything pop out at me when flicking through, but I did come across them in the Vita box and was wondering.

Can't say I can help you with the game name, I didn't touch the PSP myself and was hoping to catch up on a few titles on the Vita at some point, speaking of which the prices for some PSP games are a joke, I really don't know why publishers haven't just slashed all the prices down to try and get Vita owners to pick them up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is there anything the AR Cards do out of the box on the system without having to buy anything? I can't say I saw anything pop out at me when flicking through, but I did come across them in the Vita box and was wondering.

Not out of the box, but there are a few free AR games on the Vita store. I'm sure they're free for a reason, but I might check 'em out now that I found my cards. I downloaded the fireworks one awhile back.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
After playing more PSO2 with this fan made english patch I'm definitely digging the game. I could easily see myself playing this on the Vita as much as the PC too.

Give me a good deal on the system and memory cards by time PSO2 is launching in North America, and I'd buy a Vita to play PSO2 anywhere and everywhere I could with wifi.

It may not even be Vita compatible, but I'm trying to remember the name of a game...it was Japanese, and it featured a character that had to do all sorts of different jobs. It came out a couple years ago. Kind of vague, but it's name is escaping me.
Was it Hammerin' Hero?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Was it Hammerin' Hero?

It was!

UZRH0.jpg

That was driving me crazy. Looks like it's compatible, I'll check the price when I can get on my PS3. After checking it out on Youtube, it doesn't look like a particularly great game but the Japanese zaniness is appealing.

jiggle

after allll this time i finally got to try out a vita
first thing i did was to jump in gravity daze of course
really love how it felt in my hands
from the weight to the button layouts and analog sticks
couldn't bump up the brightness on the screen
so i wasn't as wowed by it as i thought i would be
very very impressed
too bad it has no games (yet)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I've been thinking after playing Rayman Origins that Vita could be THE place for HD sidescroller goodness. The mixture of that beautiful display with HD art ... mmm!

Imagine...
Braid
Limbo
Another World
Abe's Odyssey

Also
Rochard
Feist
Glid
Waking Mars
Spyder: The Secret of Brice Manor

Seems like a no brainer to get these types of games on PSN, and good fodder for PS3 cross play / cloud saves, and would help foster Indie development becoming attracted to the Vita.

Also, Binding of Isaac, for the love.

Bukana

I've been thinking after playing Rayman Origins that Vita could be THE place for HD sidescroller goodness. The mixture of that beautiful display with HD art ... mmm!

Imagine...
Braid
Limbo
Another World
Abe's Odyssey

Also
Rochard
Feist
Glid
Waking Mars
Spyder: The Secret of Brice Manor

Seems like a no brainer to get these types of games on PSN, and good fodder for PS3 cross play / cloud saves, and would help foster Indie development becoming attracted to the Vita.

Also, Binding of Isaac, for the love.

Actually, Abe's Odyssey HD and Stranger's Wrath HD are coming to Vita.

Bukana

Abe's Oddyssey, or Munch? I mean, I'd buy any Oddworld game that came to the system, but I thought it was only Munch and Stranger at this stage. Cool if it's the case.

They are porting Munch and Stranger, but they said they will start on Abe after they are done with them.

Apath

Man, why can't they just let you choose a free game? I don't have even the slightest interest in Unit 13. I'd be all over that deal if I could get Uncharted or Disgaea or Rayman or Katamari.
Take the Unit 13 and head over to Walmart. Tell them you just got it as a gift but don't have a receipt. They'll take the game and give you a gift card for the value of the game + tax -- use that to buy whatever you want.

ReaperXL7

test_account

XP-39C²
I tried Skype yesterday on Vita. It works pretty well, but it really surprised me that it isnt possible to add contacts directly in the app. You need to import a list from your PC i think. Other than that, it was nice :)

VanWinkle

no problems. It does take forever to navigate stuff and the interface is super clunky.

Yeah, they really need to update it. I want the speed in interface that the PS3 has, and it shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. Very very slow. I will say the video quality on it is fantastic, though.

Man, I tell ya guys. E3 can't come soon enough. I want to hear many game announcements. I want to know that Sony is going to stay serious with this thing.

BHK3

Banned
Basically, if you want top-notch emulation by M2 and a huge amount of options for setting your game up how you want it, go for the Neo Geo Station versions. You can display the games in Dot-By-Dot mode which looks beautiful on the OLED screen. You can change the region to enable blood effects. You are limited to 4 credits. However, you can enable memory card save in options so you can pick up at the stage you died in. No loading once the game starts.

The anthology version is cool if you don't care about the emulation being perfect. There is even an art gallery included. But be warned, there is loading time in these versions of the games.
Thanks, good to know.
This. The NGS releases are about as pure as it gets, but the release schedule seems to have dried up, so if you want the entire series you might want to go with the big collection.

This is my main issue though. I don't want to wait for a once a year metal slug title. This is just like the whole import ps1 games thing on psn, cool idea, no god damn support....

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is gold pass the 'online pass' for it?

Was thinking of picking it up for cheap at target, but if user reviews are averaging 2 stars ON PSN shit does make you pause.
Nah, Gold Pass is like a set of DLC (cars, tracks) they were offering to early adopters.

I find it hard to believe I got a game from the "second shipment".

I bought it from Target because of that crazy trade in deal they have so it was only $10.
I think the 2 star reviews come from the "demo" they put up.

snap0212

Could someone with an US account please take a look at the store and tell me if the newer releases (Disgea, for example) have screenshots in the description? Would like to know if it's only SCEE who stopped caring. :)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well poo, it looks like the post man came and went and didn't deliver my memory card, which means no playing games till monday most likely.
Damn, lol.

My new copy of Ridge Racer has no Gold Pass code.
Wario said his copy from earlier today didn't either.

Ridge Racer should have shipped with the Silver Pass, not the Gold pass. And I believe that was only for launch week.

The gold pass just came out. Thus far there's only 1 of the 3 tracks even available for download.

I made a video of the new track with the Gold Pass, if anyone cares. The video is not that great of quality - it was a sort of proof of concept that i could record video, record audio, edit and post it from my new asus transformer prime. The answer is yes - I can do that - but it's nowhere near the quality (especially the audio) as on desktop. Not that I expected it would be... but i figured i'd give a heads up on why the sound sucks.
http://foryourvitahype.com/2012/04/25/five-more-minutes-with-ridge-racer-new-dlc-track/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom