• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita System software 3.50 adds 30% more memory for game use.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can feel the power resonating inside the vita growing stronger!

Damn it's powerful, almost feels more goldy as I pick it up now.

Argh, thought that might be a bit too good to be true for automatic improvements across the board.

Perhaps some more patches for Borderlands 2 or something.

Hopefully the next gravity rush can run at native resolution if it comes to Vita.

I don't think that an additional 30% of RAM improves graphics performance, especially in already released games.

More ram could mean better assets(more detailed textures and polygons for example) and/or more assets(more different enemies for example) in upcoming games, but for example if the Vita graphics card can render at max X polygons per frame then that X is still the limit no matter how much ram Vita has.

Gurish

It's obvious that the PS4 is next, Sony always does that. question is when? I hope they sort out all the PS4 OS stuff soon so they can free up the memory for the devs.

Accoun

Maybe borderlands 2 will be more playable m/

According to someone in this thread, they have just announced that they aren't going to support that port anymore so I guess no.

I find it funny and kinda sad that when I checked Wikipedia to see how much RAM does Vita have overall, the last edit was by someone called "Trut-h-urts man".

KDR_11k

I guess that's why Borderlands 2 took longer until it crashed. On the other hand it hard-locked the system instead of simply crashing to the "desktop".

Eolz

No, there is still a 0.0% chance of PS2 emulation on the Vita. The main problem was never RAM, but CPU power and memory bandwidth. The PS2's architecture is very 'weird' in handles things like NaNs (not-a-number) or floating point. Unless the Vita's CPU was designed to handle them in the same way (it's not) it has to do emulation of it in pure software which is one of the primary reasons why the PS2 is so much harder to emulate on modern hardware than more powerful systems like the Gamecube and Wii.

This. Quoted so we don't get new questions about this.
Emulation isn't about RAM.

Great news for Vita! If only this console could have ever reached its full potential...

Which full potential are you talking about exactly?

Vashetti

Banned
Called it! I said back in the 3.50 threads that it felt like they unlocked something.

The OS is noticeably smoother since 3.50.

Circinus

Neat. Always a positive for the developers to have a bit more breathing space in terms of memory. 30% seems like a pretty significant increase as well.

It's obvious that the PS4 is next, Sony always does that. question is when? I hope they sort out all the PS4 OS stuff soon so they can free up the memory for the devs.

They already know how much Morpheus uses with Move, so it shouldn't take them too much guesswork to work out how much can be freed. And could do it in two parts, so they'll have a safety-net.

EGM1966

Makes you wonder how much of PS4 and XB1 remains tied up for non-gaming purposes no? I mean I guess XB1 has tried to carve out some of the reserves but I suspect both still have either reserves locked away for future use or are now committed to supporting non-gaming functions. For example how much gaming oomph was scarified to have Snap on XB1?

As someone who buys a console really only to game these days I do wish the social and non-gaming stuff was kept minimal and majority of resources went purely to running games at best performance.

Which Vita now does confirming its still this gens best worst loved device.

Vashetti

Banned
I really hope Spelunky gets patched. If they could eliminate the slowdown in Ice Caves, and certain other areas, it'd be one of, if not the best version of the game.

Such a shame Borderlands 2 won't be patched further.

Maybe they have finalised that there will not be any further major updates to the firmware and released some of the reserved ram.

Pretty much.
That is a pretty big increase though, kinda hard to believe they have that much ram to release, I didn't know they had that much reserved for the OS.

Ugh.

On the one hand, I'm happy. I'd imagine this'll mean things like Atelier Shallie Plus might run better than Escha & Logy Plus; Disgaea D2 Plus will run better than Disgaea 4 Plus etc. (just using those as two examples since I'm pretty certain they'll both come).

But on the negative side, existing games like Jak & Daxter; God of War; Borderlands 2 won't be patched because they're by Sony. And while the tech side of Sony are showing that they've clearly still got more to do with Vita, the gaming side won't touch any of this stuff with a barge pole, sadly.

And it's a shame, because all of those games could really do with a nice meaty patch.

Oh well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ugh.

On the one hand, I'm happy. I'd imagine this'll mean things like Atelier Shallie Plus might run better than Escha & Logy Plus; Disgaea D2 Plus will run better than Disgaea 4 Plus etc. (just using those as two examples since I'm pretty certain they'll both come).

But on the negative side, existing games like Jak & Daxter; God of War; Borderlands 2 won't be patched because they're by Sony. And while the tech side of Sony are showing that they've clearly still got more to do with Vita, the gaming side won't touch any of this stuff with a barge pole, sadly.

And it's a shame, because all of those games could really do with a nice meaty patch.

Oh well.

Seriously just live with it. As there are far more positives than being mopey about stuff that came out before.

Like with all games, this would depend on the game itself.

Pure ram isn't likely to help... memory bandwidth is probably a larger limiting factor and PSTV is never going to be the focus of HD updates to any games... A niche of a niche is a terrible place to spend resources on.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Pure ram isn't likely to help... memory bandwidth is probably a larger limiting factor and PSTV is never going to be the focus of HD updates to any games... A niche of a niche is a terrible place to spend resources on.

Pretty much, since the only real purpose of the PSVTV is to provide the player the ability to play their Vita games on a big screen when they are at home. It never is / was marketed as a device that is supposed to make games look or perform better.

_Ryo_

Hmm. could they improve the psp player now and allow it to rerender up to 3x. That would be amazing.

Also maybe Gravity Rush 2 is PS4 / Vita now and they freed up the power to let the game look and run amazing as a sort of showcase.

Redhood

Hmm. could they improve the psp player now and allow it to rerender up to 3x. That would be amazing.

I think that may never happen until vita gets hacked. If Sony wanted this feature then it could had been implemented even before this. Same reason PS1 games run at original PS1 resolution.

Will wait for that day and be thankful for fan translation of Type-0

Excellent, I can finally play Marvel vs Street Fighter and Xmen Vs Street fighter...

No...wait...

I mean Perfect Dark and Donkey Kong64

BibiMaghoo

Maybe Vita telltale games will run better than 15fps now. Maybe I can play them without wondering what occurred in the bit that the game just chugged and skipped through. That would be great.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PSP and PS3 did this also. PSP also introduced higher CPU clocks.

PSP's clocks were already designed to be higher, the PSP was just artificially limited to help with battery life at launch. Later on when Vita 2000 was introduced, there was no point to keep it locked.

With these kinds of things, its kind of important to make the distinction that they arent just upclocking stuff willy nilly so people don't get the wrong impression, they had locked off RAM away from games to start with, they are just giving it back from OS.

On PS3 it happened and PS4 will probably happen as well eventually too, once they decide there is no more need to fully reserve more RAM for OS than they need.

Klossen

Banned
Makes you wonder how much of PS4 and XB1 remains tied up for non-gaming purposes no? I mean I guess XB1 has tried to carve out some of the reserves but I suspect both still have either reserves locked away for future use or are now committed to supporting non-gaming functions. For example how much gaming oomph was scarified to have Snap on XB1?

As someone who buys a console really only to game these days I do wish the social and non-gaming stuff was kept minimal and majority of resources went purely to running games at best performance.

Which Vita now does confirming its still this gens best worst loved device.

I believe PS4 has 3,5GB VRAM taken up by everything that isn't the actual game. I don't really understand the neccessity for it personally, but I guess 4,5GB VRAM is still more than enough for most games at 1080p.

PSP's clocks were already designed to be higher, the PSP was just artificially limited to help with battery life at launch. Later on when Vita 2000 was introduced, there was no point to keep it locked.

With these kinds of things, its kind of important to make the distinction that they arent just upclocking stuff willy nilly so people don't get the wrong impression, they had locked off RAM away from games to start with, they are just giving it back from OS.

On PS3 it happened and PS4 will probably happen as well eventually too, once they decide there is no more need to fully reserve more RAM for OS than they need.

When they unlocked the CPU, did anyone complain their battery life was now lower? Of course this would only happen on newer games at the time that actually were programmed for the higher clock speed.

I never noticed it since by then I was using custom firmware to rip my games off UMD's onto my memory card and had an extended battery installed. The power saving from no disc drive and bigger battery easily offset the overclock I had manually set to 333mhz for everything.

Top Bottom