• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita System software 3.50 adds 30% more memory for game use.

Finally, about time consoles could download more RAM like PC users.

Bill-Murray-LOL-GIF.gif

On topic: fuck yea!!

Kozuka

I'm curious to know if it improves anything on released games.

Anybody with 2 Vita could make some comparison test ?

OmegaDL50

Prelude.

I'm curious to know if it improves anything on released games.

Anybody with 2 Vita could make some comparison test ?
I think I've read some people claiming games launch faster.

Yes but that's not what I was pointing out. It's not just "because of Cerny" but because of devs requests and fortunate timing on Samsung chips.

antibolo

Banned
Don't quote me on this, but I think any perceived performance improvements that people are seeing with 3.50 are mostly just placebo effect.

Games most likely need to be specifically compiled to the newer version of the SDK with the increased memory in mind. That's how it usually works on such a fixed platform. Some existing games may get this through a patch, but it's probably non-trivial work, especially for a game that's already finished.

LAA

Sounds awesome! Hope existing games can be made to make use of the extra ram. Don't have it, but I imagine BL2 would benefit from it.

Looking forward to PS4 reducing the OS RAM footprint too, though I would think that's further away from happening, espicially with the way OS updates have been so far.

rawd

Still wanted to force me to shutdown Limbo on the weekend when I tried to look up a webpage in the browser.

Limbo of all games too.

I don't know if this is related, but my Vita seems to run noticeably worse since the update. Specifically there's some lag when scrolling through the live area when I have a game open that wasn't there before.

-Horizon-

I don't know if this is related, but my Vita seems to run noticeably worse since the update. Specifically there's some lag when scrolling through the live area when I have a game open that wasn't there before.

The intro video for SK:Bon Appetite ran like crap when I started it up recently :/

Andrefpvs

I'll be very surprised if this has anything to do with Near, because... Near is still there and works in exactly the same way as before.

Near wasn't killed or removed. It's still there. This is a common misconception. Only map/address viewing was removed.

animax

Why the hell were they reserving so much RAM for the OS anyway?!

I'd happily take a UI consisting of a black screen with white text if this is how much potential it was blocking

antibolo

Banned
I'll be very surprised if this has anything to do with Near, because... Near is still there and works in exactly the same way as before.

Near wasn't killed or removed. It's still there. This is a common misconception. Only map/address viewing was removed.

Lies.

Near has never existed. It's only in your mind.

androvsky

On a side note, do we know if this isn't just a memory improvement for games using the Unity engine, given the nature of the event?

Should make crossplatform indies even easier and more stable. I'm thinking specifically something like the Teslagrad port will benefit, since the dev often remarks about how trying to make the physics work on Vita is difficult.

this would be great for a potential FFXII port

This isn't what I came in here to read, but now that I've read it, it is.

Shizuka

I wonder if there'll be any developed that'll go back to an already released game and improve it to take advantage of the additional 30%. It'd be great to see Borderlands 2 take advantage of that, personally.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I am not sure that the game in particular is memory limited to be able to take advantage of this.

I'd imagine for most games, the performance issue is with designing a game around a mobile chip.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Well, at least to somewhat look on the bright side, when something similar happens for PS4 there will still be enough dev/consumer support around to really take advantage of it.

i mean thats cool and all but that doesn't really matter anymore at this point. :( all we get are little indie ports and shit. the "biggest" game Vita got coming out anytime soon is RE:R 2 and thats not even all that.

androvsky

The slide in the OP is clearly a SCE presentation (not Unity), that specifically mentions firmware 3.50.

iirc, Unity games require a C# VM, which on Playstation platforms is handled by a mono VM supplied by Sony. So if there was a change to how the VM operates (like it unloads a chunk of its code after doing the JIT compile), it would be mentioned by SCE and it wouldn't apply until a certain firmware. On the other hand, 30% is a lot of memory for a VM improvement.

Top Bottom