• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita System software 3.50 adds 30% more memory for game use.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hot damn this is awesome.

Wish we had a Mercenary sequel to look forward to that could take advantage of this.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
But what does this mean? Better looking games? Faster load times? Both?

Depends on what the devs do with it. As stated before its not some sort of magical silver bullet that will turn the current development of games on its head, but it will help things out depending on how those extra resources are used.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Interesting. I never use any of the social functions of the Vita, so if they're cutting those out to give us more memory, I'm all for it.

Prelude.

Interesting. I never use any of the social functions of the Vita, so if they're cutting those out to give us more memory, I'm all for it.
They aren't cutting anything out, they're just letting devs use some space they reserved for future-proofing.

Parakeetman

They aren't cutting anything out, they're just letting devs use some space they reserved for future-proofing.

They did cut out the maps and near functionality. The youtube stuff was due to something else and that had to be downloaded anyways.

Maps / near feature disablement on PlayStation®Vita
All features of the "Maps" application and some features of the "near" application will be disabled with the PlayStation®Vita system software update planned on March, 2015.

Functionalities of the applications will be removed automatically once users update their PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita).

Q: What do you mean by some features of "near" will be disabled? What will I not be able to do on "near" ?

A: "near" will not be able to obtain location address, or display maps.

Q: Are there any ways to look up maps or location information on PS Vita, after features of "Maps" are disabled?

A: You can use Google Maps via the "Browser" app. on PS Vita. However, search results for point/path search may differ between the "Maps" application and Google Maps displayed on the "Browser" application. Also, search histories will be saved based on the specifications of the "Browser", and the history saved on the "Maps" application will be deleted.

Furthermore, certain features that were available on the "Maps" application may be unavailable on Google Maps.

Q: What happens to the data I achieved while using "Maps" and "near" on PS Vita?

A: "near":
Information that were obtained before the update such as (1) Address information of “Out-and-About History”, “Out-and-About Radar” and “Local Chart”, (2) Address of “Private Zone Settings” will remain saved.
*Please note that (1) will be deleted after 7 days and (2) will be deleted if the private zone setting is cancelled.

"Maps":
Information such as “Bookmark” saved within the application will be deleted simultaneously with the feature disablement.

Q: Can I continue to use "Maps" and "near" if I don’t update my PS Vita system?

A: No, features will be in any case disabled in March 2015, and deleted after updating the system software.

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/a...-near-feature-disablement-on-playstation®vita

Prelude.

They did cut out the maps and near functionality. The youtube stuff was due to something else and that had to be downloaded anyways.
Yes but it's not a consequence of this. They dropped Maps and as a result the location-based stuff in Near doesn't work anymore. I assume that, just like youtube, it's just Sony not wanting to update those apps to more recent API.

Ramune

As a few mentioned, maybe PSO2 Vita can see some improvements from this increase. Maybe better textures or more enemies and what not. That would be nice. And yes as a backer specifically for the Vita version, Cosmic Star Heroine can't come soon enough. Other games that come to mind...maybe Shantae and Mighty No. 9 could benefit as well. And definitely future NIS and Tecmo Koei games. MLB the show '16? Now about those game card sizes....

Parakeetman

Yes but it's not a consequence of this. They dropped Maps and as a result the location-based stuff in Near doesn't work anymore. I assume that, just like youtube, it's just Sony not wanting to update those apps to more recent API.

Its not a consequence, but most def those apps being there fits with resources saved for social media type of applications. So would imagine scrapping them helped recover resources back as they no longer need to keep those active. Of course no idea in regards to how much resources those used and doubt we will ever know either.

autoduelist

Its not a consequence, but most def those apps being there fits with resources saved for social media type of applications. So would imagine scrapping them helped recover resources back as they no longer need to keep those active. Of course no idea in regards to how much resources those used and doubt we will ever know either.

So you're suggesting if you opened Near it required a ton of overhead while open in the background? Maybe? But iirc correctly it didn't seem to be much of a hog -- I mean, you can tell when opening some apps it closes old ones, or if you have too many webpages open it asks you to shut down the game, but Near never really seemed to have a big imprint.

It's possible, certainly -- i never tried to measure it directly (seeing how many webpages you could open while you had it running in the background compared to other apps, etc). I just think they had reserved the space for possible future applications that never materialized.

Parakeetman

So you're suggesting if you opened Near it required a ton of overhead while open in the background? Maybe? But iirc correctly it didn't seem to be much of a hog -- I mean, you can tell when opening some apps it closes old ones, or if you have too many webpages open it asks you to shut down the game, but Near never really seemed to have a big imprint.

It's possible, certainly -- i never tried to measure it directly (seeing how many webpages you could open while you had it running in the background compared to other apps, etc). I just think they had reserved the space for possible future applications that never materialized.

Its as my friend mentioned about Sony having walled off some resources for their "social media" related functionality with the Vita. Seeing how the items removed / disabled in the 3.50 system update along side the unannounced to the general public 30% increase in memory that games will be able to take advantage goes to show that there was at least some impact on that. We have no idea how they coded those apps to work & resource usage, but the current cards on the table are showing us that there appears to be a connection here and this also goes together with the older information.

As mentioned have no way of exactly proving what my friend said before the Vita launch, but he does in fact know his shit when it comes to hardware and has to know them due to the type of work he does. bishoptl should know what Im talking about, which is most likely why he and / or another mod has not contacted me yet about this. And as always they are more than free to do so. Just so happens that what is going on now matches with what was mentioned way back then before the Vita came out.

Do agree with the other notion that people here mention with part of the resources appears to have been walled off just for other "potential" application with the device. As back then there was talk about facebook apps and other things related to popular social media outlets / applications at the time.

Seeing how Smartphones have pretty much taken up that sector could very well be that the folks on the Sony side basically got rid of those along with the applications that were using some of the tied up resources which gives the developers now the 30% increase in this announcement. This decision also fits with the increased cross platform production that companies here in Japan are focusing on. So most def would imagine that constant requests for additional resources from the current hardware were made. Saves Sony the $$$ too of having to even attempt a new hardware revision or a new handheld all together for a little while anyways.

Elios83

Great news but as already pointed out infinite times there are no developers trying to push the system's hardware right now, this might help the few japanese developers still supporting the system getting better performance or making development easier but I don't expect much else.

Parakeetman

Great news but as already pointed out infinite times there are no developers trying to push the system's hardware right now, this might help the few japanese developers still supporting the system getting better performance or making development easier but I don't expect much else.

Exactly. People need to keep their expectations in check and personally its a reason why information like this isnt really let out to the public as people start making up all sorts of unrealistic expectations on what would come out as a result.

Parakeetman

Can't download the update. Could it be related to not having much space left?

No idea. Did the 3.50 come out in the West already? Its been out here in Japan since the end of last month.

Apparently Im famous too for whatever reason with sites quoting the info here in the thread. There are far more knowledgeable folks here in the thread who should be quoted instead of me truthfully. Since unlike myself, they seem to know their shit when it comes to the backend stuff with the Vita.

All I did was find more interesting info from a JP developers tweets from the conference. Still am kicking myself in the ass for missing this. As looked like it would have been a wonderful event to have attended to get caught up on new / current things going on in the industry here for personal knowledge. Its going on today also. Am curious to see what other type of information comes out from this, even if it is not related to the Vita or Sony in general.

UE4 is also another engine that is being pushed fairly hard in Japan too currently. Think SQEX? is the first company to have officially licensed it? Would have to look that up to confirm it.

RootCause

No idea. Did the 3.50 come out in the West already? Its been out here in Japan since the end of last month.

Apparently Im famous too for whatever reason with sites quoting the info here in the thread. There are far more knowledgeable folks here in the thread who should be quoted instead of me truthfully. Since unlike myself, they seem to know their shit when it comes to the backend stuff with the Vita.

All I did was find more interesting info from a JP developers tweets from the conference. Still am kicking myself in the ass for missing this. As looked like it would have been a wonderful event to have attended to get caught up on new / current things going on in the industry here for personal knowledge.
Yep, it's out. It stays loading when I try to download it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If the boost is as significant as they claim; please Falcom, impress us with Ys 8.

Applecot

This is probably the kind of thing that will happen with the XB1 and PS4 later on down the track.

Looking at you new 3DS.

Parakeetman

If the boost is as significant as they claim; please Falcom, impress us with Ys 8.

I would imagine most devs will be using it more for stability
eDchKvu.gif

Helping prevent the game from melting with titles like the musou series / gundam breaker 2 (though actually ran pretty well for the most part)

Instead of trying to do something crazy with it.
FVo92I1.gif

Am sure that Koei / Omega Force would be the most thrilled about this announcement. Also Bandai Namco with their gundam games. lol Or more like they would already be using it for their next title(s) though do wonder if both companies will be updating their current titles to take advantage of this. Since they both have produced games where it would help out with performance. Depending on how early they knew about this information could most def see them including it in the code itself to be activated along side an update for their game(s).

Most def would imagine that DQ Heroes II will be taking advantage of this as others have mentioned.

Top Bottom