• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

Does anyone know if the Vita has a "screen wipe" function similar to plasma televisions? I know AMOLED screens on phones can be prone to image retention and burn-in similar to plasma tvs (something I face with my Kuro plasma - though it's really not much of an issue on those sets), and I was wondering if there's a built-in wiping utility on the unit.

My main concern is playing "retro" stuff like the PSP Sega Genesis Collection which, unless you want to stretch the image, has a 4:3 image in the center with black bars on the side - with no option to fill the bars with art or change them from black. I'd hate to play a bunch of stuff like that and end up with image retention on the Vita with no way to combat it.

Carl

Oh my

kfz36.jpg

Ami Nakajima. She's hot. https://twitter.com/#!/aminakajima

I've got Rayman ans HSG downloaded from the PSN, 32GB, screen protector and copy of FIFA waiting. Amazon shipment confirmed..... dear god is tomorrow going to be the longest day of work ever.

I got it on crooked, lol. I've tried fixing it but I can't get it right.

I've put so many of them on over the years, got fantastic at that part, always failed at the dust part. Now that I've conquered it, nothing can stop my screens from being protected.

God, I remember how I returned 8 DSlites to the same futureshop over a 2 week period because I fucked up with screen protectors and couldn't get them off.

Coins

Banned
Yeah on the Giantbomb live stream they talked about it. Seems useless though considering you can't respond back. Plus it's a very specific number assigned to your Vita and 3G gets turned off when your system is off so you would only ever get them while the system is on.

Theoretically, though, couldn't a game send you a text message on it? If they could expand on that feature it could be a cool aspect of the system. What was that PC game that sent you emails and instant messages? Majestic?

Well, I guess they wouldnt utilize this feature due to most people buying the wifi version.

I've put so many of them on over the years, got fantastic at that part, always failed at the dust part. Now that I've conquered it, nothing can stop my screens from being protected.

God, I remember how I returned 8 DSlites to the same futureshop over a 2 week period because I fucked up with screen protectors and couldn't get them off.

The only one I've used before this was on a DS Lite so I don't have much experience in putting them on. Even with the guide on the Sony protectors I still managed to screw it up, haha.

MarkusRJR

My local game shop sold me a vita early cause I'm a regular there. I bought with it a 32gb card, a case, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, and Rayman Origins (never played it before). Time for an awesome night of gaming. :D

Ricky_R

I don't think Uncharted being $50 will set the precedent for Sony first party prices. It will at first, but I'm sure people won't go nuts paying $50 for Resistance or Killzone for example.

I just think Uncharted is in a good place right now when it comes to market awareness, so it will do good at that high price. I don't see other Sony first party games having that strength to get away with that price on a handheld IMO, barring GOW maybe.

Dommel

My local game shop sold me a vita early cause I'm a regular there. I bought with it a 32gb card, a case, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048, and Rayman Origins (never played it before). Time for an awesome night of gaming. :D

I bought Rayman this afternoon on a whim and my god it's an awesome game. Beautiful, funny and a great platformer.

Comet

Wait, wait, wait. So we can't use MediaGo to buy Vita games and manage my PSP games for my Vita?? So will I have to use my PS3 for all of this?

I am excited about the vita but would rather much play with her. That's just me.

Vita can wait

You should have cropped the guy out of the pic. JK

Ha Ha

The last time i was that excited was on the PS2 launch in US.(yes PS2)

That beautiful blue box was Amazing and i am sure i had a bigger smile.

Massa

I'm such an idiot, bought the 3G Launch Bundle. Not a single import-friendly US retailer has the WiFi version in stock (for $250 at least).

Hawk269

So Uncharted is the best selling game so far.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219162p1.html

And is anyone suprised that Sony would say anything different? I mean, even when they have shitty NPD numbers, they still say it was great...so dont put too much weight into what they are saying. In a month, let's see where things are at. Remember this is a "launch" and early adopters and avid gamers are going to buy them up...in a month when it comes to regular consumer sales will be more telling on how the Vita is doing....and I hope it does well cause 3rd parties will be more willing to make games for it.

Hawk269

I don't think Uncharted being $50 will set the precedent for Sony first party prices. It will at first, but I'm sure people won't go nuts paying $50 for Resistance or Killzone for example.

I just think Uncharted is in a good place right now when it comes to market awareness, so it will do good at that high price. I don't see other Sony first party games having that strength to get away with that price on a handheld IMO, barring GOW maybe.

You also have to take into consideration that places like Toys R Us has Uncharted advertised for $39.99, Target online also has it for $39.99. I personally, don't think portable games should be more that $39.99 and fanboy or not, you and everyone else has to admit that the pricing on some games are outrageous being that you can get the same game on other devices for half the price.

Well my Vita that was shipped from Amazon is still saying 24th for delivery, it tracked as been sent at 00.01am on the 21st :( It's being sent by Yodel so I have lost all faith I will get it today. /sadface

daoster

It shippped!!!!

Thank goodness I work in a company that basically has a UPS shipping center in it...it's going straight to work!

You also have to take into consideration that places like Toys R Us has Uncharted advertised for $39.99, Target online also has it for $39.99. I personally, don't think portable games should be more that $39.99 and fanboy or not, you and everyone else has to admit that the pricing on some games are outrageous being that you can get the same game on other devices for half the price.

It's so true, But I was part of the problem. I picked it up at 49.99 on the 5th before any deals were listed.

What's up with the fanboy comments all the time? Am I missing something?

Hawk269

What's up with the fanboy comments all the time? Am I missing something?

The fact that some people are justifying the price of the games that you can get on other devices for half the price or less, yet Sony is charging as much as they are for some of the games. Usually, people that say stuff like that are "fanboys" and see Sony doing no wrong whatsoever, but reality is that some of these games are way overpriced, hence my comment...fanboy or not, you have to admit that some of them are overpriced.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The fact that some people are justifying the price of the games that you can get on other devices for half the price or less, yet Sony is charging as much as they are for some of the games. Usually, people that say stuff like that are "fanboys" and see Sony doing no wrong whatsoever, but reality is that some of these games are way overpriced, hence my comment...fanboy or not, you have to admit that some of them are overpriced.

Outside of Dungeon Hunter, the prices seem fine and not too bad. Many of these are simply far beyond of what is on iOS as it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom