• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

squall211 said:
I don't get this either. Yeah, it sucked that you couldn't use for PS3 for a day. Get over it lol.

Probably because they see it as being the same as (or worse than) the Xbox 360 outages of holiday of 2007. MS gave everyone Undertow for free as "compensation".

corrosivefrost said:
Probably because they see it as being the same as (or worse than) the Xbox 360 outages of holiday of 2007. MS gave everyone Undertow for free as "compensation".

24 hours is worse than weeks? :lol

Sony's compensation was towards us superior Slim owners, we chuckled at our peasant fat brothers.
Who we do love really

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Audioboxer87 said:
24 hours is worse than weeks? :lol

Sony's compensation was towards us superior Slim owners, we chuckled at our peasant fat brothers.
Who we do love really
if you own a slim, than you've only owned a ps3 for a few month and thats not worth bragging about, infact its rather casual of you.

Pandaman said:
if you own a slim, than you've only owned a ps3 for a few month and thats not worth bragging about, infact its rather casual of you.

Bought a PS3 in 2007 which is now sitting downstairs for parents usage for Blu Ray and streaming.

I upgraded to a Slim, I'm even more elite :lol

Shurs

Audioboxer87 said:
Bought a PS3 in 2007 which is now sitting downstairs for parents usage for Blu Ray and streaming.

I upgraded to a Slim, I'm even more elite :lol

But you live with your parents.

Chromax

I rarely get compensation when Blizzard messes a WoW server up for 1-2 days, and I have to pay for that every month!. :lol

Cornbread78

corrosivefrost said:

Yeah, but wasn't Live down for almost a solid week vs. PS3's 24 hours?

BradleyUK

Sony claims it has fixed a bug in the PlayStation 3 which crashed millions of consoles for 24 hours.

In a statement, the games manufacturer admitted the fault had been caused by "a bug in the clock functionality".

The internal clock on the console was programmed to recognise 2010 as a leap year, when it's not.

Gamers who booted-up their consoles on March 1, 2010, recieved the following message: "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)" - or the date of their PS3 systems were re-set to January 1, 2000.

When users tried to re-set the date and time via the internet, their consoles informed them: "The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)"

Users were also not able to play back certain rental videos downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

Sony had stressed the bug was only affecting older, "fatter" consoles, not the new slim ones.

"If you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data."

Then within a few hours the company apologised for the inconvenience and revealed service had been restored.

It said: "We have verified the symptoms are now resolved and users are able to use their PS3 normally."

Users around the world have been cautiously tweeting their joy at the news:

mumblemiler: "So, Mr Sony. Yesterday was the 29th Feb 2010 was it? And today it's magically the 2nd March? Hmmm"

jonchoo: "So same leap year bug as Zune? And I thought computer engineers were supposed to be clever..."

martyrmane: "Cant tell ya how good it feels to log on to #PSN...Thankx #Sony....#MW2..i maight just play sum #NBALive"

Other gamers called for Sony to be sued after they lost years of precious "trophies" and saved games overnight:

"Everything is lost THANKS ALOTI hope sony get sued and have to pay millions!!"

The PS3 is the third home video game console released by Sony. There are estimated to be three million PS3 consoles in the UK.

Source

:lol

K' Dash

v3lmop.jpg

2mg8rc3.jpg

2010-03-01-ps3crash.png

14av908.jpg

apocalyps31.jpg

4398703857_7c5e56632c_o.png

nothing.gif

xl9pqq.jpg

mj4mev.jpg

9999.jpg

homerps3.jpg

Pandaman said:
why do people expect a free game? :lol

sony pr did too good a job for that to happen.

And by doing a good job you mean reading GAF and telling public what we know? Yeah, thanks Sony!

What sucks is that Sony is getting all the credibility for it whereas we did all the fine work of figuring out WTF is happening by asking various questions of who is fucked up, who isn't, what were they last doing, when did they last signed in, etc etc.

It was GAF that narrowed down the problem to internal battery and clock issue, and it was GAF that decided that we should wait 24 hours before we decide to panic.

"Sony claims it has fixed a bug in the PlayStation 3 which crashed millions of consoles for 24 hours"... pssh yeah right!!

LM4sure

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I guess Im still shocked that some news sites ever reported it, (CNN was a surprising choice as well), lol.

It was major news. Thousands, if not millions of people were affected.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
you're famous gaf

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190539/the_ps3_problem_how_sony_got_scooped_by_its_own_users.html

You know things are bad when Sony tells Playstation 3 owners not to turn on their consoles for fear of data loss, but they're even worse when the warning comes 16 hours, and an entire night, after the company first acknowledged problems with the Playstation Network.

Yesterday, Sony announced that PS3 consoles, with the exception of the new PS3 Slim, were unable to connect with the Playstation Network because of a bug in the system's clock. What's worse is that simply turning on the consoles can cause "errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data." As such, Sony advised staying away from the PS3 -- unless you've got a Slim -- until they can fix the problem, hopefully within 24 hours.

As with any tech service outage, it's appropriate to look at whether the official response was adequate. In this case, Sony's clearly was not.

Information moves astoundingly fast in the gaming world. I first got wind of the problem at around 4 p.m. PST, reading a Twitter update from Game Informer's Philip Kollar. His PS3 Trophy information was gone, and he couldn't play any games. That was two hours before Sony itself acknowledged the problem and said it was looking into it.

Before long, Sony's customers blew the story open. Reports of internal clock issues were everywhere, mainly stemming from the popular gaming forum NeoGAF. By midnight, one user had posted a detailed FAQ on who was affected, what to do and what's at risk by turning on your console.

That's exactly what Sony should've done. Instead, the company sat on the issue until Monday morning, when spokesman Patrick Seybold posted a sterile message explaining the errors. The warning to PS3 Fat owners was buried in his blog post. That was the last we heard from Sony. Among the perfectly valid questions that were unanswered: How will a fix will be delivered to people who can't go online? What other data is at risk of being lost? Will people get their trophies back?

Kotaku's reporting that consoles are now coming back to life (but no word from Sony, mind you). Sony still has some explaining to do, and gamers deserve an apology not just for the outage itself, but for being kept in the dark.

Update: Sony's made it official that service is back, that a non-existent leap year was to blame, and that the problem resolved itself once system clocks hit March 1.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
shagg_187 said:
What sucks is that Sony is getting all the credibility for it whereas we did all the fine work

It was GAF that narrowed down the problem to internal battery and clock issue, and it was GAF that decided that we should wait 24 hours before we decide to panic.

Man, if only all major global consumer electronics and engineering companies were as smrt as GAF!!!

stawnkald

shagg_187 said:

Dude, GAF ain't the only place on the 'net. I know at least a few people who are not GAF members and don't even visit but they figured out it was a clock issue. Sometimes you guys sound like you've cured cancer or something.

SmokyDave

Second said:
Yeah, I know. It was internal.
But what if your console isn't connected to the internet? Do you have to establish an internet connection to fix the bug?
I don't know how it can fix itself otherwise.
Might be a bit late but I noticed no-one had answered you. The problem stemmed from the internal clock that keeps its time because it is powered by a CR2032 battery inside the console. It's this battery-powered internal clock that fixed itself, no internet needed.

scoobs

I gotta say... people completely overreacted lol. The service was down for what? a day and a half or something? Guess people really love their ps3's.

Salaadin

scoobs said:
I gotta say... people completely overreacted lol. The service was down for what? a day and a half or something? Guess people really love their ps3's.

It was a full 24 hours at the most. Im not even sure it was down that long.

scoobs said:
It was never about PSN. Nobody knew what was going on for the first couple hours. You couldn't even play a disc-based game OFFLINE. That scared people, and rightfully so. I remember getting on that night to play some Dragon Age. I just assumed there was PSN maintenance. I was so pissed that it wouldn't let me play OFFLINE. I almost got on GAF to write a Bioware-hate thread! :lol

Haunted

CrayzeeCarl said:
It was never about PSN. Nobody knew what was going on for the first couple hours. You couldn't even play a disc-based game OFFLINE. That scared people, and rightfully so. I remember getting on that night to play some Dragon Age. I just assumed there was PSN maintenance. I was so pissed that it wouldn't let me play OFFLINE. I almost got on GAF to write a Bioware-hate thread! :lol
Yup.

And then Sony's statement saying that you shouldn't use your PS3... well, that crtainly didn't help things calm down. :lol

SmokyDave

scoobs said:
Not at all. For me the crux of the matter is that I was unable to play my legally purchased software on my legally purchased hardware due to their fuckup. I raged just as hard at MS the first time I had a 360 replaced and couldn't play XBLA games offline. I don't slap down money to rent this shit, I buy it. My copy of Heavy Rain didn't have a disclaimer that said "Caution, this game may become randomly unplayable" and so when that turned out to be the case, I was pissed off.

Cruzader

Banned
Amazing how Chubs made a FAQ and Sony indeed sat on its ass for 2 days. They really need to get their shit together. They have a twitter feed/facebook....why cant the douches use that shit? Obviously they did but only to post the obvious.."oh hey guys there is an error, peace".

corrosivefrost said:
It was only out for a day for some user's compared to a week or more of the xbox live outage that happened. Xbox live costs 50 dollars a year so they had to compensate for the downtime because people pay for the service and couldn't play.

DeadGzuz

Banned
corrosivefrost said:

That was for weeks of outages and I never got my copy because they gave it out for a short window. So I never got my copy (not that I want it).

LM4sure

Banned
scoobs said:

People did NOT overreact. People reacted the way they did due to Sony's lackadaisical response to the situation. They had no idea what the problem was, when or IF it could be fixed, and they offered no apologies. People reacted appropriately given the circumstances.

ymmv

Banned
Haunted said:
Yup.

And then Sony's statement saying that you shouldn't use your PS3... well, that crtainly didn't help things calm down. :lol

From Sony's blog postings and tweets you didn't exactly get the impression that they _really_ knew what was going on and that the problem would resolve itself around midnight GMT. All PS3 users was that there'd be some sort of fix within the next 24 hours but you could lose data if you used your PS3. That's a classic case of spreading FUD. It's a bad move it concerns your own product.

If Sony did kwow, they could (and should) have announced their findings before the clock struck 12 in the UK. It would have assuaged fears among PS3 owners they'd lose saves and trophies and it would have shown that Sony was in control of the situation. The whole thing was handled pretty badly by Sony.

ymmv said:
From Sony's blog postings and tweets you didn't exactly get the impression that they _really_ knew what was going on and that the problem would resolve itself around midnight GMT. All PS3 users was that there'd be some sort of fix within the next 24 hours but you could lose data if you used your PS3. That's a classic case of spreading FUD. It's a bad move it concerns your own product.

If Sony did kwow, they could (and should) have announced their findings before the clock struck 12 in the UK. It would have assuaged fears among PS3 owners they'd lose saves and trophies and it would have shown that Sony was in control of the situation. The whole thing was handled pretty badly by Sony.

Thing is, Sony MUST have known this would happen, since the problem was not present on the slims and the last batch of 80 Gigs out there. So someone found out and fixed that shit. But they just couldn't bother with a firmware update that would 'secretely' fix this too. Or with an honest 'Hey guys, just chill this shit will sort itself out in the next 24 hours'

None the less, I'm just happy my ps3 is back to working condition and I can get back on my God Of War marathon till GoW III comes out!! :D

ElFly

pslayer666 said:
Thing is, Sony MUST have known this would happen, since the problem was not present on the slims and the last batch of 80 Gigs out there. So someone found out and fixed that shit. But they just couldn't bother with a firmware update that would 'secretely' fix this too. Or with an honest 'Hey guys, just chill this shit will sort itself out in the next 24 hours'

None the less, I'm just happy my ps3 is back to working condition and I can get back on my God Of War marathon till GoW III comes out!! :D

If they had know about that, they'd would have fixed it in the latest firmware patch.

I think it's much more probable that they changed the internal clock they were using in one of the many hardware revisions.

pslayer666 said:

It was posted in another forum that they were simply using an updated clock chip on the newer models. That doesn't mean they knew about the problem. The faulty clock chip might no longer have been available so Sony went with the newer one.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
shagg_187 said:
And by doing a good job you mean reading GAF and telling public what we know? Yeah, thanks Sony!

What sucks is that Sony is getting all the credibility for it whereas we did all the fine work of figuring out WTF is happening by asking various questions of who is fucked up, who isn't, what were they last doing, when did they last signed in, etc etc.

"Sony claims it has fixed a bug in the PlayStation 3 which crashed millions of consoles for 24 hours"... pssh yeah right!!
yes, they did a good job by ignoring and discrediting gaf and then taking credit for 'fixing' the 'psn issue' in a timely and decisive manner.

thats pretty amazing work in terms of PR, GAF certainly wasn't doing them any favours worthy of reward.

Saumpson

Neo Member
This has been shitty but kind of entertaining at the same to see the amount of internet posting that goes on when gamers can't play.

This kind of crap is the reason I downloaded FFVII and FFVIII dont need to update something that is over ten years old.

stawnkald said:
Dude, GAF ain't the only place on the 'net. I know at least a few people who are not GAF members and don't even visit but they figured out it was a clock issue. Sometimes you guys sound like you've cured cancer or something.

And who might that be, because websites like Kotaku and whatnot linked to this thread while the rest linked to Kotaku and so on. Google "NeoGAF" and this thread is the first one to show up right after wikipedia and frontpage. I am not saying that we should be credited for it (I love the anonymity), but all I am saying is that Sony should admit the fact that there is a major problem in PS3 and they should start working on resolving the problem by patching it, and by not telling people that it has been "resolved". I'm sure they are already working on a patch. By lying and saying that the problem is "resolved", they're being dubbed fucking heroes for magically fixing PS3 without any physical connection or patch. Now THAT IS JESUS PS3 RIGHT THERE! Oh and "we" guys don't sound like we've cured cancer or something; it's me along trying to voice the fact that GAF's panic mode was the reason why the news got elevated to the point where it is right now. Yes, there are millions of PS3 users who had this problem and they were all throwing tantrum, but their answer to this was that "OMG PSN ISN'T WORKING! FUCK YOU SONY, FIX YOUR SERVERS!".

Whatever... doesn't matter. All is well that ends well!

Pandaman said:
yes, they did a good job by ignoring and discrediting gaf and then taking credit for 'fixing' the 'psn issue' in a timely and decisive manner.

thats pretty amazing work in terms of PR, GAF certainly wasn't doing them any favours worthy of reward.

My sarcasm detector is dead...

Saumpson said:
This has been shitty but kind of entertaining at the same to see the amount of internet posting that goes on when gamers can't play.

This kind of crap is the reason I downloaded FFVII and FFVIII dont need to update something that is over ten years old.

Downloaded games were rendered unplayable due to this bug (yes, including PSOne games like FFVII and FFVIII).

Top Bottom