• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.92 is up.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Great, this bullshit froze my system. It's stuck on the "Press the PS button" screen, and it's just completely frozen. Even if I completely power it down and unplug it, then restart it, it just comes up to the same frozen screen. What the fuck.

bricked maybe? I know someone had an interupted update that bricked their system too :/

I`d assumed PS3 has some sort of protection against firmware issues - like a second bios mem space or something?

Raist said:
Did you try to reset your controller ?
I don't think so; I'll have to look that up. Right now I have it powered down for a bit, I'll let it cool off just in case that's the problem.

And Greg, yeah I did the power button thing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully it's an easy fix. I've already had one totally bricked system that I had to send in (wouldn't even turn on) so I wouldn't relish doing that again.

Chris Remo said:
I don't think so; I'll have to look that up. Right now I have it powered down for a bit, I'll let it cool off just in case that's the problem.

And Greg, yeah I did the power button thing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully it's an easy fix. I've already had one totally bricked system that I had to send in (wouldn't even turn on) so I wouldn't relish doing that again.

Connect controller via USB?

Sho Nuff

Banned
That sounds...odd. If you brick a PS3 it shouldn't even turn -on-. I bricked a PAL unit a while back (system inexplicably shut off at 50% in the update) and you'd might as well had set off an EMP next to it.

Sho Nuff said:
That sounds...odd. If you brick a PS3 it shouldn't even turn -on-. I bricked a PAL unit a while back (system inexplicably shut off at 50% in the update) and you'd might as well had set off an EMP next to it.

WTF. A fake banned tag, a la the old Drinky?

Sho Nuff said:
Yeah, I've had an actual bricked PS3 before. This one clearly isn't.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, we know the "official" updates, but here we go with the hunt for the stealth updates.

For starters they have skipped 1.91 so we know that there should be a couple stealth updates just in THAT version :D.

M3wThr33

Banned
From the sound of it, they optimized a lot of stuff.
Like they're trying to get the RAM usage down for 2.0 and just make things smoother overall. I wouldn't expect any new features until 2.0.

fronn

Anyone notice an auto shut-off with idle controllers now?

I started watching a movie and found my controller was off after a while (had been about 55 minutes), usually the controller just stays on until you turn it off or the system off.

Could be a fluke controller malfunction, but it may be something to keep an eye out for...

Otherwise I haven't noticed anything different.

Kinan

fronn said:
Anyone notice an auto shut-off with idle controllers now?

I started watching a movie and found my controller was off after a while (had been about 55 minutes), usually the controller just stays on until you turn it off or the system off.

Could be a fluke controller malfunction, but it may be something to keep an eye out for...

Otherwise I haven't noticed anything different.

Wow, auto shut-off is huge if true! Most needed feature.

SantaC said:
wtf sho nuff is banned? why, he always riled me up. More so than anihawk.

It's unknown whether or not he is banned. The post he made on this page was made after he was supposely banned (he was banned at the start of this thread). Believe.

Kinan

Vyse The Legend said:
It's unknown whether or not he is banned. The post he made on this page was made after he was supposely banned (he was banned at the start of this thread). Believe.

He was banned at the start of this thread but was promptly unbanned few pages later. The tag sticked though.

Odrion

Banned
Uh yeah, this patch screwed up my PS3's OS too. I can go into the menus, but certain things (such as network settings or play PS2 games) won't work and will just freeze my PS3. Anyway to reset the OS?

RiotPelaaja said:
I did the update with my PS3 BD remote, which had the same problem.I just activated another regular controller with the PS button and that worked.

You can't use the PS button on the BD remote to activate the PS3 after an update, because the BD remote is programmed in such a way where it will never sync itself as "Controller 1" on the PS3. It always syncs as a much higher number.

f@luS

More than a member.
Hum almost never had any BT controller issue , 2hours warhawk = 3 issues

nice update

fronn

Kinan said:
Wow, auto shut-off is huge if true! Most needed feature.

It happened again (around 30 min mark this time)... I can't rule out coincidence and funky controller (I have had controller turn off on me while playing Resistance last year, so I'm wary of it).

Anyone else notice an auto shut-off of controller after 30+ min of idle?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
my console froze on me after downloading the update too.

But I just switched it off, then back on, and it went directly to the installation screen, installed the update and now its all cool.

fronn said:
It happened again (around 30 min mark this time)... I can't rule out coincidence and funky controller (I have had controller turn off on me while playing Resistance last year, so I'm wary of it).

Anyone else notice an auto shut-off of controller after 30+ min of idle?

I've noticed this at work on the devkits but I thought I might have been mistaken. I think you are seeing an auto-shut off then because I swear I've seen this at work.

Lince

Banned
I just updated to 1.92 and see nothing new but SoulCalibur III still runs like crap (EE-less PS3 model), I guess Sony just gave up on this one :'(

Elios83

Nothing major as you would expect considering the number of this firmware.
They have improved loading times a bit (browser, store) a few PS2 games runs better (FFXII is much smoother now) but my Onimusha1&2 are still not compatible and they have removed compatibility with Tekken Tag (it was compatible with 1.9 but it was unplayable since it run at 10fps).

S. L.

KurowaSan said:
sh3_0921_6.jpg

did it work before on PAL ps3s? because it does now :D
nope it didnt
it was my only ps2 game that didnt work
yay !

the_id

was hoping 1.92 would update the B/C of PS1 and PS2 games for PAL systems. seems not. my FFVIII still isn't working (SLES-2080). fix this sony!

What I really want is the original PS3 background, the moving lines, but without this stupid "turn black in the evening" thing. And to be able to choose the colour.

TerryLee81 said:
What I really want is the original PS3 background, the moving lines, but without this stupid "turn black in the evening" thing. And to be able to choose the colour.

yep...even in the end, with the addition of custom backgrounds, I still prefer the default XMB overlay and still hope they add custom colors in future FW updates....hell the PSP has had it since day one =/

jonabbey said:
There's also a new menu item when you hit triangle on your logged in profile under the friends list. You can now select 'Auto Sign-In Off'. I'm not sure quite what it does yet.

Edit: Oh well, ask a silly question. If you select that, it doesn't automatically log you into PSN when you turn on the system and log into your local account.

Maybe it wasn't a new feature? I thought there was some way to do that before.
not new.

tanod

when is my burrito
I was experiencing a bug with F@H after the F@H v1.2 update where the PS3 would lock when I tried to quit out. I turned off the F@H screensaver and it hasn't locked up again in the last few days but maybe they fixed that as well.

Automatic shutoff of controllers and faster XMB loading is sweet!

I swear that Sony intentionally doesn't release change lists because every update thread has a couple of "Is this new?", followed by a lot of "No" and then a reply of "Cool, I didn't know that. :D". Sony just want people to get to know their PS3s better, methinks. :)

One thing for people to try:
Check for XMB response time when looking through
1)the XMB in Video Chat
2)the XMB in Remote Play and
3)the XMB in Resistance
See if you can tell if it's improved or not. I have always found that it was much more sluggish in these situations before the update. I can't check this myself right now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
AgentOtaku said:
yep...even in the end, with the addition of custom backgrounds, I still prefer the default XMB overlay and still hope they add custom colors in future FW updates....hell the PSP has had it since day one =/
What would be even better is offer a color pallette with gradiants that you can select so you can set it to go from like green to red during the cycle of the day like it goes from one color to black now.

patsu

Chris Remo said:
Yeah, I've had an actual bricked PS3 before. This one clearly isn't.

Is the system still unresponsive ? If so, check your L2, R2 buttons. If they are stucked halfway (it happened to me), the controller will not repond. Just depress them all the way to free them and the system will be back to normal.

Yama

I believe the controller does automatically turn off now, very good. I was getting used to turning them off manually when friends were done, but sometimes would forget.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
so... i had to play around in a warhawk map on my own... no online at all.

golf clap?

tanod said:
I was experiencing a bug with F@H after the F@H v1.2 update where the PS3 would lock when I tried to quit out. I turned off the F@H screensaver and it hasn't locked up again in the last few days but maybe they fixed that as well.

Automatic shutoff and faster XMB loading of controllers if sweet!

I swear that Sony intentionally doesn't release change lists because every update thread has a couple of "Is this new?", followed by a lot of "No" and then a reply of "Cool, I didn't know that. :D". Sony just want people to get to know their PS3s better, methinks. :)

One thing for people to try:
Check for XMB response time when looking through
1)the XMB in Video Chat
2)the XMB in Remote Play and
3)the XMB in Resistance
See if you can tell if it's improved or not. I have always found that it was much more sluggish in these situations before the update. I can't check this myself right now.

Yea...I tposted abut this on page 5. The XMB in resistance is a whole lot faster.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
tanod said:
Automatic shutoff and faster XMB loading of controllers if sweet!
Can you explain a bit more on these two? Where's the auto shutoff, and what does "XMB loading of controllers" mean?

Top Bottom