• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

beast786 said:
Features that support the 3D rendering:
- Features that the system displays such as the system software that is displayed when the PS button is pressed during gameplay(GUI), or notification or error messages displayed on the upper right on the screen
Hah, cool.

Doesn't sound like there's anything beyond that, though - Move support for devs was likely added in an earlier FW update, and this is just doing the same for 3D. Look at this like the 2.70 (or was it 2.80) update that added cross-game voice chat for debugs, but added nothing for retail units.

patsu

missile said:
Just a guess.

You have to consider that there are about 25 million phats out there. Usually a
standard OtherOS user isn't that active in various OtherOS related forums do talk
about all the stuff like a pure gamer does in multiple gaming boards at the same
time. I do believe that there a more OtherOS users out there as one might think
there are.

I am on YDL mailing list and visit ps2dev. They don't seem very active at all. I supposed we will see how many come out of the woods to protest after 1st April. I am one of them, but I don't really use it anymore. Already moved on to iPhone SDK.

That's the reason I wrote undergraduated project, possibly consisting of 6 to 8 people.

:lol The more the merrier. I have a feeling you'll need more experienced PS3 developers to optimize it to match the PS3 browser. It would be a great start for a standalone web browser though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Crisis said:
Actually Fersis brings up a good point (surprised I said that). Do we know if they're adding anything else to the firmware?
Thanks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
B1gg_Randall said:
I wonder if taking the OtherOS will bring us Cross Game Chat and maybe custom soundtracks...Hmm
The Custom Soundtrack feature is already on the SDK and several games support it.
(And i think that Cross Game Chat is also available on the SDK)

Prezhulio

Fersis said:
The Custom Soundtrack feature is already on the SDK and several games support it.

i'd like to know the last game that supported it. killzone 2? every fucking game i buy where i would actually use it, doesn't. even just cause 2, that uses the youtube uploading sdk for christ's sake, doesn't have it. it's a joke of a feature with the "support" it's received.

Fersis

Prezhulio said:
i'd like to know the last game that supported it. killzone 2? every fucking game i buy where i would actually use it, doesn't. even just cause 2, that uses the youtube uploading sdk for christ's sake, doesn't have it. it's a joke of a feature with the "support" it's received.
Bad Company 2 and SFIV supports it.
But yeah if Sony doesnt make it mandatory few games will have it.

Fersis said:
Yeah I know...But I hate seeing this game doesnt support music or whatever lol I just wish Sony release a update that allow all games to support it..

Prezhulio

Fersis said:
Bad Company 2 and SFIV supports it.

was not aware of bad company 2 using it, once i go back to that in my free time i'll definitely be using it.

what are the odds they'll fix soundtracks for online in ssfiv?

Fersis

Prezhulio said:
was not aware of bad company 2 using it, once i go back to that in my free time i'll definitely be using it.

what are the odds they'll fix soundtracks for online in ssfiv?
Oh yeah.. ive been told that theres a bug on Bad Company 2 that disables the Custom Soundtrack ... yeah sorry! V__V
(It works on menues and stuff, it brakes while loading a map)

Dragona Akehi said:
There's a definite difference between digital theft and format shifting or region breaking. The latter is the consumer exercising their rights to control their media. Piracy is a form of theft (though some will argue that it's not the same as physically stealing a physical object, but that's for another argument), plain and simple.

I am not entirely sure what's the status on the encoding/decoding algorithms used on DVD, but if they are not public domain (which I guess they are not? otherwise I am not sure whether it's always a big deal whether to put them on ubuntu/wii)
I am not sure the difference is as definite as you think. People work hard to develop those algorithms, and it costs a lot of money. I am not sure what right you have to use these if you don't buy something that paid a licensing fee for it.

If these are public domain, then the above doesn't apply at all, obviously.

Mudkips said:
Let's say you own X and want to do Y (which is specifically unsupported / prohibited).
Morally, the fact that it's "your" hardware is not important if there is any negative effect due to Y on others.

Claiming "Enabling Y is morally okay because I OWN X and can legally enable Y." is faulty reasoning. "I can legally enable Y because I OWN X." and "Doing Y is morally okay because it has no significant negative impact on others." are sound. The morality of Y is determined by Y itself, not by a legal right to enable it.

Otherwise, "I own it, I'll do what I want" would be as valid a defense for pirates, cheaters, pirate radio, the asshole who modified his router firmware to triple the signal strength, the guy running a cell phone jammer, the idiot who disabled safety features on his appliances and burned the neighborhood down, etc. as it is for legit users.

I'm not nitpicking. It's important for companies and governments to recognize our right to enable Y because we own X, and it's just as important for customers to realize that Y's morality (and legality) must stand on it's own, lest we want to see our rights continually assaulted. I'd love to be able to not care about the shit the assholes and idiots do. But they do it, it affects the industry, and that in turn affects me.

You're approaching it from the wrong angle, as people often do when trying to justify the removal of rights. If you work it backwards like that, assuming that possible immoral actions make all preceding actions also immoral, then every single possible action there is would be immoral. That's ridiculous. That would make, in your example, buying said appliance immoral.

The fact that you can misuse a product does not mean that corporations can dictate what constitutes misuse. All they can do is inform you of their intended use, as I said, and allow you to assume responsibility for using it otherwise.

jett

D-Member
B1gg_Randall said:
Yeah I know...But I hate seeing this game doesnt support music or whatever lol I just wish Sony release a update that allow all games to support it..

What you're asking for is not an update, it's a mandate from Sony to the 3rd party publishers. :p

The support is there, nothing Sony can do about it. Bitch to the developers about it.

JudgeN said:
Both of these are fear terms IMO, I personally don't want to live my life in a constant state of fear that something "going" to happen. I mean hell following these examples I wouldn't buy any Activision games (we know they fucked over people), EA games (shutting down online series for games less then a year old), Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and hell a lot of other companies that screw over customers. I also work IT, Ive seen updates take away features, fix broken ones, add features, break perfectly working functions, and etc. Maybe i'm just to laid back to fight the good fight so to speak.

If there's been so much precedent for this as you say, then these are hardly "fear terms". You defeat your own argument.

Fersis

jett said:
What you're asking for is not an update, it's a mandate from Sony to the 3rd party publishers. :p

The support is there, nothing Sony can do about it. Bitch to the developers about it.
Yeah, make it mandatory. (Make it part of the Technical Requirements)
Kind of late though =/

racerx

Banned
Mudkips said:
Let's say you own X and want to do Y (which is specifically unsupported / prohibited).
Morally, the fact that it's "your" hardware is not important if there is any negative effect due to Y on others.

Claiming "Enabling Y is morally okay because I OWN X and can legally enable Y." is faulty reasoning. "I can legally enable Y because I OWN X." and "Doing Y is morally okay because it has no significant negative impact on others." are sound. The morality of Y is determined by Y itself, not by a legal right to enable it.

Otherwise, "I own it, I'll do what I want" would be as valid a defense for pirates, cheaters, pirate radio, the asshole who modified his router firmware to triple the signal strength, the guy running a cell phone jammer, the idiot who disabled safety features on his appliances and burned the neighborhood down, etc. as it is for legit users.

I'm not nitpicking. It's important for companies and governments to recognize our right to enable Y because we own X, and it's just as important for customers to realize that Y's morality (and legality) must stand on it's own, lest we want to see our rights continually assaulted. I'd love to be able to not care about the shit the assholes and idiots do. But they do it, it affects the industry, and that in turn affects me.

Mudkips, you are truly lame.... As Dragona said, "It's my device, I bought it, I can do what I want with it!"

If I get a hold of enriched uranium, I should be allowed to do what I want with it! In turn, I should be allowed to sell it to anyone I wish. As long as I don't personally kill anyone else with it, I'm in the right. Some people use enriched uranium to make sculptures. If I get a hold of some, that's what I plan to do with them.

And for the record, possession of enriched uranium != making bombs. Mods, anyone who accuses enriched uranium users of making bombs, you should ban them!

Damn the others! No one will over ride my liberty and freedom as a consumer!:p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
racerx said:
Mudkips, you are truly lame.... As Dragona said, "It's my device, I bought it, I can do what I want with it!"

If I get a hold of enriched uranium, I should be allowed to do what I want with it! In turn, I should be allowed to sell it to anyone I wish. As long as I don't personally kill anyone else with it, I'm in the right. Some people use enriched uranium to make sculptures. If I get a hold of some, that's what I plan to do with them.

And for the record, possession of enriched uranium != making bombs. Mods, anyone who accuses enriched uranium users of making bombs, you should ban them!

Damn the others! No one will over ride my liberty and freedom as a consumer!:p
Tell me how that works out for you. That was a really over the top analogy.

I think the main point is that this device was sold with this feature. Some people use it not matter how small the percentage. Removing a feature that was there on purchase date is a rare occurence and should not be the norm. Bad move in my opinion.

racerx

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
There's a definite difference between digital theft and format shifting or region breaking. The latter is the consumer exercising their rights to control their media. Piracy is a form of theft (though some will argue that it's not the same as physically stealing a physical object, but that's for another argument), plain and simple.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Maybe like 70% true, if one could do percentages like that.
If you import media that was meant for regions other than yours, you are bypassing licensing agreements and royalty fees meant for your region. Essentially, you are engaging in "theft".

Of course, if the media version in your region doesn't exist - like for some weird foreign movie, than no "theft" is being done.

Fusebox

Banned
bkfount said:
pretty much a broad generalization, but even if you run with it, the level of technical know how needed to pirate on the DS is pretty low as well. You don't have to keep up with firmware updates or even do anything other than buy a magical flash card and use a very standard microSD card.

Not quite true, I had to update my M3i Zero in order for it to work on 1.4J firmware, and unlike DS you can transfer roms to your psp without even having to remove the memory stick....

...but I digress, back to the topic everyone.

missile

!ATTENTION! ... !ATTENTION! ... !ATTENTION!

At all those who are not going to update their system to fw 3.21;
  • synchronize all your trophies,
  • download any important stuff from PSN
    (you can download games multiple times without installing -- just in case),
  • update your locally saved game records online, and
  • deactivate your PS3 from your PSN account!
Note: If the update is up in a few hours you won't be able execute the steps given
above without updating the system and as such losing the OtherOS feature!

missile

Justin Dailey said:
Huh? Won't that make all your downloadable games permanently unplayable?
Only those who rely necessarily on activation.

Edit:
If your are going to use the OtherOS a lot more, then it makes no sense to lose one
of the five activation slots you have, esp. not if your going to buy a slim afterwards just
for gaming. The thing is, you won't be able to deactivate your PS3 once the update is
up without sacrificing the OtherOS feature.

VegaShinra

missile said:

Note: If the update is up in a few hours you won't be able execute the steps given

We still have another day before the update goes live.

missile said:

So is the update coming tonight or tomorrow

missile

VegaShinra said:
We still have another day before the update goes live.

It depend on where you live!

In Japan it's currently 11:36 AM. So you won't have a day left living in close proximity.

The update is expected to go live on April 1, 2010, 0:00 JST.

Edit:
And who says the update won't come a few hours earlier?

VegaShinra

missile said:

In Japan it's currently 11:36 AM. So you won't have a day left living in close proximity.

Edit:
When has the update ever gone live at exactly 0:00 JST? You can never predict these things.

missile

VegaShinra said:
When has the update ever gone live at exactly 0:00 JST? You can never predict these things.
That's the reason I wrote expected. ;)

TTP said:
which are ALL of them.
Could be true. Well, I just wanted to say that there is still stuff in the PSN
which can be used without activation.

missile said:
Only those who rely necessarily on activation.

Edit:
If your are going to use the OtherOS a lot more, then it makes no sense to lose one
of the five activation slots you have, esp. not if your going to buy a slim afterwards just
for gaming. The thing is, you won't be able to deactivate your PS3 once the update is
up without sacrificing the OtherOS feature.
This is a terribly flawed argument.

jett said:

So what your saying is that every first party game should have it right since it's Sony's decision at that point? What is the excuse when Sony is the developer?

coopolon

racerx said:
Actually, that's not entirely true. Maybe like 70% true, if one could do percentages like that.
If you import media that was meant for regions other than yours, you are bypassing licensing agreements and royalty fees meant for your region. Essentially, you are engaging in "theft".

Of course, if the media version in your region doesn't exist - like for some weird foreign movie, than no "theft" is being done.

What? Theft means to illegally take another person's property without that person's consent.

If I go to Japan, buy a Bluray that has also been released in the US, and then bring it back to the US with me, please tell me how I have committed theft. Or 70% of theft if you prefer (whatever that means.)

And I'd also love to understand how in your view of theft, how it's only theft when the product has also been released in your own region. But if the product hasn't been released in your region, even though the exact same laws apply, all of a sudden it is not theft to import it.

missile

Megadragon15 said:
This is a terribly flawed argument.
Can you elaborate?

You can't deactivate your PS3 without being signed-in into the PSN.
But once the update is up you can't sign-in any longer without updating since
the new firmware is mandatory. And if you update, your OtherOS feature is
gone.

missile said:
Can you elaborate?

You can't deactivate your PS3 without being signed-in into the PSN.
But once the update is up you can't sign-in any longer without updating since
the new firmware is mandatory. And if you update, your OtherOS feature is
gone.
Why would you deactivate a fully working PS3? It still can be used for games (that don't require the update). You are treating it like it is defective.

Massa

Megadragon15 said:
Why would you deactivate a fully working PS3? It still can be used for games (that don't require the update). You are treating it like it is defective.

The choice is between losing that activation on your PSN account and not being able to play those games anymore.

missile

Megadragon15 said:
Well, you can still play all your retail games (offline). Deactivation does only effect
PSN content, content you won't never access again without updating the system.
And if one decides to update, then (s)he can activate the PS3 again. No problem.

Edit:
My current PS3 won't never see the PSN again. So I'm not going to update. Well, I'm
going to buy a fukkin Slim. And since I'm on my 3rd PS3 (lost a 60GB and a 40GB due
to the YLOD) I don't wanna waste an additional activation slot.

Lain

Not updating means also not being able to copy over and play downloaded PSP games, right? Since one has to log in to be able to copy a downloaded game onto the PSP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lain said:
Not updating means also not being able to copy over and play downloaded PSP games, right? Since one has to log in to be able to copy a downloaded game onto the PSP.

No. As long as the systems have been paired/activated and all, you can move stuff around even if offline.

Withnail

missile said:

Edit:

The updates usually go live around 12.00 JST.

missile

Withnail said:
The updates usually go live around 12.00 JST.
Possible.

But the expected time is 0.00 JST, no matter what, because this the time
when the condition -- update on 1. April, 2010 (JST) -- is met for the first time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Marty Chinn said:
The irony here is that XBMC on Linux is ahead of the Windows version because of DirectX holding it back. So I totally don't buy that now given that the Linux version is perfectly viable without DirectX.

Oh really? I guess a lot must have changed in the last 4 or 5 years. Back then, anyway, the excuse was all the DX/Windows stuff it used.

I guess the next hurdle in a port to PS3 Linux with GPU access would be X86 vs PPC/Cell.

jorma

is now taking requests
racerx said:

No theft, "theft" or "70% theft" has been commited unless you went to the foreign supermarket and stole a physical copy in a shop and took it home. Why is it so difficult to use the correct terminology?

Also, licensing agreements are b2b, they do not affect the consumer. The copyright infringement is potentially done by the company that sells the product in regions they have no license to distribute in, but never by the buyer. If i buy a legal copy from a legal retailer i can very much assume that the retailer had the right to do so.

Why does 90% of GAF hate consumer rights so much? It is unseemly :X

Top Bottom