• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
RedNumberFive said:
The gaming press will do no such thing. As long as they can regurgitate press releases and keep the companies that give them games and freebies happy, this will never happen.

It probably won't be as bent over as forums. And they don't even get as many free games!

lupinko

railGUN said:
The density in this thread is just crazy. You keep justifying this bullshit and continue to support Sony. I'm going to say enough is enough and try my best to not support it.

FUCK YEAH! FIGHT DAT POWAH!

DeadGzuz

Banned
railGUN said:
Legality aside, I'm just as done with Sony as much as I can be. I'm not going to say I'll never buy another Sony product, but I'm not supporting this company like I once did. I don't, and never did use Linux on my PS3 but thats not the point. I can't stand big corporations nuking my system from space because they didn't have the foresight to see that the OtherOS option might open unwanted doors.

I'm really sad that everyone isn't completely outraged by this, regardless of whether you use the OtherOS feature or not. You don't even need shitty metaphors to describe what Sony is doing. They are fucking their customers plain and simple.

Wow, how do you make it day to day with the Universes sense of injustice? You must live in a basement and shun the outside world, else you would go mad. Do you want to know why most of us don't give a shit, beyond not using the feature? There are much much more important things to worry about. It's that simple.

starving_children-africa.jpg

Want to quietly protest with your wallet, go for it. But save your outrage for something real, be an adult.

patsu

I can understand why some people feel mad, but seriously not everyone needs or wants to follow suit. It's perfectly fine.

We know people have filed complains with the authorities. We should be able to get some answers from Sony one way or another. The press (ahem !) has a window to do some reader service.

Meanwhile I am going to beat some games, get some work done, and chill out. While it is possible that some Sony higher up got freaked out by Geohot. It is also possible that some gamers over-react or over generalize.

AndyD

aka andydumi
RedNumberFive said:
Interesting counter-point. Although I'm on the side of not removing features from my console, your eloquent post has made me see this arguement from another angle.

How would you react to the removal of in game XMB?

jett

D-Member
patsu said:
To be frank, it felt like killing a unicorn.

The press should go ask Sony for more details like now... since the patch is out. They have to tell Sony that people are not happy with the silence.

oh noes!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
DeadGzuz said:
Wow, how do you make it day to day with the Universes sense of injustice? You must live in a basement and shun the outside world, else you would go mad. Do you want to know why most of us don't give a shit, beyond not using the feature? There are much much more important things to worry about. It's that simple.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_giboGqraW...YAMUOtbvrJs/s400/starving_children-africa.jpg
This cheesy point is undermined by the fact you're still posting in this thread.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
DeadGzuz said:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_giboGqraWyM/SEbXNO_ft8I/AAAAAAAAAEU/YAMUOtbvrJs/s400/starving_children-africa.jpg[/MG]

Want to quietly protest with your wallet, go for it. But save your outrage for something real, be an adult.[/QUOTE]

I hate posts like this because not only do posts like these miss the point completely, but they make the poster looks like an idiot as well.

Since I'm complaining about Sony removing a feature from the PS3 that I believe I paid for and as a result they have no right to remove, it must obviously mean that I don't give a shit about poverty in Africa *rolls eyes*

missile

patsu said:
... PS3 open source development has been slow, it won't speed up just because we get Linux back.
But this has nothing to do whether the OtherOS feature is useful or not. I'm not
sitting in front of my PS3Linux waiting until open source brings heaven down to
earth. There are infinetly many things one can do -- independent of the 'speed up'.

Clear said:
... but I can see their logic in discontinuing a feature that is enjoyed by only a small percent of the userbase, especially if it frees up resources to be expended elsewhere.
Does it?

j-wood

Alot of people really need a reality check. Do you really think Sony didn't have a team of lawyers looking over what they were about to do? The company knows full well before they do someone what the legal implications are. Which means that yes, Sony knows that they will have no legal problems removing Linux.

It goes like this. PSN is a service, provided to you by Sony, and you can use it at your discretion. A requirement for using this service is having the latests firmware. Sony believes Linux is a security risk and removed it. If there is a game that requires the PSN, then they are legally justified.

Yes, this means some of you who don't update won't be able to play the newest games, because they require the latest firmware, regardless of PSN access. This is a consequence that later firmwares are going to add new features (cross game chat).

Bottom line is, if you used ps3 for linux, sorry, you're out of luck. You aren't going to be able to take Sony to court. You can't sue. Legally, you're rights have not been violated. Personally, and in your opinion, you probably feel so. Sell the PS3 and get something else.

Mudkips

Banned
j-wood said:
Bottom line is, if you used ps3 for linux, sorry, you're out of luck. You aren't going to be able to take Sony to court. You can't sue. Legally, you're rights have not been violated. Personally, and in your opinion, you probably feel so. Sell the PS3 and get something else.

Bottom line is, you're wrong.
There are lawsuits in the works, duder.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
j-wood said:
Alot of people really need a reality check. Do you really think Sony didn't have a team of lawyers looking over what they were about to do? The company knows full well before they do someone what the legal implications are. Which means that yes, Sony knows that they will have no legal problems removing Linux.

It goes like this. PSN is a service, provided to you by Sony, and you can use it at your discretion. A requirement for using this service is having the latests firmware. Sony believes Linux is a security risk and removed it. If there is a game that requires the PSN, then they are legally justified.

Yes, this means some of you who don't update won't be able to play the newest games, because they require the latest firmware, regardless of PSN access. This is a consequence that later firmwares are going to add new features (cross game chat).

Where were these team of lawyers during the rootkit fiasco? Just because you have a team of highly paid lawyers does not mean that every decision you make is a sound decision from a legal standpoint.

Whether Sony is in the right or not for removing other os support depends on whether the courts will side with the EULA or consumer rights. European courts have already shown that the EULA mean dick all if it's harming the consumer or taking away some of their rights in the long run.

youta

j-wood said:
Alot of people really need a reality check. Do you really think Sony didn't have a team of lawyers looking over what they were about to do? The company knows full well before they do someone what the legal implications are.
Really?

Speevy

Banned
Mudkips said:
Bottom line is, you're wrong.
There are lawsuits in the works, duder.

I hope they win the lawsuit against Sony, so the company can continue not including Linux in any PS3 sold.

beast786

railGUN said:
The density in this thread is just crazy. You keep justifying this bullshit and continue to support Sony. I'm going to say enough is enough and try my best to not support it.

"Enough is Enought" of what. Beside OtherOS what other issues did you had with PS3?

I am not even saying taking OtherOS is OK.

But for some reason you keep forgetting how much PS3 features has improved continuously for past 3 plus years for free.

Yes, this looks like a shitty move, but surely not worth "OMG DEATH TO SONY" especially since we have been getting system improvements for free since launch.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
j-wood said:

*insert Dragona's BBC link here about Sony's rootkit*
*insert numerous court orders about Sony and anti-consumer practices here*

Oh, hi, remember us?

Sony may have a team of lawyers, but I'll be damned if they look through all the laws before doing anything. That rootkit? By law is against the law, dude.

Brofist

DeadGzuz said:

Want to quietly protest with your wallet, go for it. But save your outrage for something real, be an adult.
In the time it took to write your smarmy reply you could have probably gone to your local soup kitchen and served a couple dozen homeless people.

j-wood said:

Professionals can be wrong, professionals can make mistakes, professionals can overlook things, and yes, sometimes professionals can try to pull a fast one. They're human beings and they're prone to flaws like anyone else. It would be fucking amazing if highly-skilled, highly-paid people never screwed up, but they do.

Big-E

CloakedPuppet said:
Canada. Shaw Cable - ultra high speed. Almost always extremely dependable and very fast.

I am on Shaw Cable with the high speed package and I download these updates in less than 2 minutes. Are you on wireless or something?

Cheech

Sarye said:
I don't really care about Linux but it sets a precedent. I don't want SONY to decide down the road to remove BC via a software update because they plan on selling these games on the PSN and holding my multiplayer games hostage essentially forcing me to do it.

The thing is, and I mean this in the least trollish way possible, people actually care about BC.

Installing Linux on a PS3 is a lark, I guess, but ultimately makes as much sense as putting Linux on a charcoal grill. Sony support will get 12 phone calls tonight from dudes who frequent GAF and Ars Technica.

The problem is you guys who are upset are playing the roles of outraged consumers, without really considering the usefulness of this option they're removing.

Massa

TheSeks said:
*insert Dragona's BBC link here about Sony's rootkit*
*insert numerous court orders about Sony and anti-consumer practices here*

Oh, hi, remember us?

Sony may have a team of lawyers, but I'll be damned if they look through all the laws before doing anything. That rootkit? By law is against the law, dude.

Come on, Sony can't be a clueless company! They're doing so well!

Clear said:
But to circumvent that all Sony need do is to amend the EULA for future software products stipulating that to use them the game the user must have an appropriate FW revision installed. (Assuming that a similar clause isn't there already.)

Did you miss the huge amount of discussion in this thread talking about how EULAs at very best range from "inconsistently enforceable" (in the US) to "broadly unenforceable" (most other places)? Sony can't use a contract of adhesion to force users to give up their rights under EU law.

In case you did, let me mention it again: EULAs are contracts of adhesion that are considered partially or fully unenforceable in most jurisdictions. In addition, almost no country in which PS3s are sold allows contracts which void a consumer's law-given rights to be enforceable whether they are adhesion contracts or not. In other words, Sony cannot possibly erase any legal liability this action has created for them simply by rewriting their EULAs.

RedNumberFive said:
The gaming press will do no such thing. As long as they can regurgitate press releases and keep the companies that give them games and freebies happy, this will never happen.

Very true.

j-wood said:
Alot of people really need a reality check. Do you really think Sony didn't have a team of lawyers looking over what they were about to do?

Just like they knew what they were doing when they released the PSP Go? Corporations are not mighty, all-knowing deities; they're imperfect groups of human beings who make decisions in what can often be sub-optimal fashions. The notion that Sony's action here stands by definition as proof that their action is legal is utterly ludicrous.

Cheech said:
The thing is, and I mean this in the least trollish way possible, people actually care about BC.

According to Sony and MS, this is not the case. We might as well get rid of it, so Sony can cover all their bases. Media streaming seems like it could be compromised. I don't think the majority of PS3 users use that either.

TheSeks

Massa said:
Come on, Sony can't be a clueless company! They're doing so well!

Yeah, they're doing so well. They're in third place! :lol

EmCeeGramr said:
how dare you all insult sony ignore the african children

FUCK THE AFRICAN CHILDREN! I've got Linux issues to discuss! </sarcasm>

Cheech

RedNumberFive said:
According to Sony and MS, this is not the case. We might as well get rid of it, so Sony can cover all their bases. Media streaming seems like it could be compromised. I don't think the majority of PS3 users use that either.

Media streaming is a useful feature. So is BC.

What is the use of a home user installing Linux on a PS3? Installing Linux on a PC, ANY PC, is a thousand times more useful of an endeavor.

Massa

You know, I thought I'd seen everything here but the "leave Sony alone, there are African children starving!" defense takes the tops. Sony should give this boy a medal.

Brofist

Cheech said:

What is the use of a home user installing Linux on a PS3? Installing Linux on a PC, ANY PC, is a thousand times more useful of an endeavor.
Well the PC is much better at playing PS2 games through emulation and as a media player as well so might as well drop those features too right? :D

TheSeks

beast786 said:
Wait. 3rd place.

I wonder when they will be shutting down Sony.

Poor Sony :(

Dude, don't you know? PC gaming PS3 gaming is dead! It has been for decades now! :lol

Cheech said:

Well it's useful to you, but not me, so who cares? Let's take it out just in case. We should have feature parity with the slims anyhow.

Cheech said:

What's the use of media streaming and BC? I have devices that do a better job streaming, and a PS2 that does a better job playing BC games.

Cheech

kpop100 said:
Well the PC is much better at playing PS2 games through emulation and as a media player as well so might as well drop those features too right? :D

I wouldn't call the ability to install Linux a "feature". It's more like a "curiosity". A feature implies a measure of usefulness.

I'm going to go home tonight, update the firmware, and then have a wicked time in Battlefield with some friends. Just like most of the OUTRAGED SONY CONSUMERS in this thread. :D

missile

Speevy said:
I think it does. I'd have to look it up.
I bet that the OtherOS feature does not consume a single bit of RAM while the
GameOS is running, whereby the other way around holds true, i.e. the GameOS
has an effect on the memory left for the OtherOS.

j-wood said:
Alot of people really need a reality check. ...
That's usually the way a suspicious post starts to unfold. :lol

Cheech said:
I wouldn't call the ability to install Linux a "feature". It's more like a "curiosity". A feature implies a measure of usefulness.

I'd argue that Folding at Home and Playstation Home aren't inherently useful, but since I personally don't use them, I don't think they're necessary.

Cheech

RedNumberFive said:
What's the use of media streaming and BC? I have devices that do a better job streaming, and a PS2 that does a better job playing BC games.

Media streaming makes sense on a PS3 because most people have them hooked up to devices that contain speakers, and might want to enjoy their video/music in a different room than their PC.

BC makes sense, because the chief function of the PS3 is to play games.

Installing Linux on a PS3 is a waste of time with no appreciable function.

Cheech

RedNumberFive said:
I'd argue that Folding at Home and Playstation Home aren't inherently useful, but since I personally don't use them, I don't think they're necessary.

I don't think you'd hear much complaining if those got nuked either. That said, they are still ostensibly doing SOMETHING, so I guess could be considered more useful than installing Linux on a PS3.

Cheech said:
Media streaming makes sense on a PS3 because most people have them hooked up to devices that contain speakers, and might want to enjoy their video/music in a different room than their PC.

BC makes sense, because the chief function of the PS3 is to play games.

Installing Linux on a PS3 is a waste of time with no appreciable function.

Oh I see, we're only overreacting because it's a feature that YOU don't use. I'll keep note of that.

Speevy

Banned
missile said:
I bet that the OtherOS feature does not consume a single bit of RAM while the
GameOS is runningl

Well I hope so. I'd hate to think it's been even part of the reason for lame ports onto the system.

missile

Cheech said:
... What is the use of a home user installing Linux on a PS3? Installing Linux on a PC, ANY PC, is a thousand times more useful of an endeavor.
Cheech said:
I wouldn't call the ability to install Linux a "feature". It's more like a "curiosity". A feature implies a measure of usefulness. ...
Cheech said:
... Installing Linux on a PS3 is a waste of time with no appreciable function.
godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm.jpg

Rapstah

So does this update install automatically on slims or something? I've checked every possibility and there's no way anyone has touched my console for three days. Unless someone broke into my home during the four hours I was at school today and installed the update without stealing the PS3 afterwards I have no explanation.

Cheech

RedNumberFive said:
Oh I see, we're only overreacting because it's a feature that YOU don't use. I'll keep note of that.

Be realistic. What percentage of the PS3 userbase do you think regularly use their PS3s for Linux? And I don't mean the people who install it once, say "that's neat", and then delete it.

Let's say, for example, you could run Windows on a PS3. That would be neat as well, but who is going to use a machine with 256 megs of RAM for any type of modern app? Like Linux, these people will still just continue to use their laptops/desktops to run Windows on.

I'm not entirely unsympathetic here. If you use your PS3 as even a semi-full time Linux box, I feel for you. But it's just not a feature that makes a whole lot of sense for Sony to keep maintaining.

missile

Rapstah said:
So does this update install automatically on slims or something? I've checked every possibility and there's no way anyone has touched my console for three days. Unless someone broke into my home during the four hours I was at school today and installed the update without stealing the PS3 afterwards I have no explanation.
trap.jpg

Top Bottom