• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 shipments surpass 70 million, PSMove surpasses 15 million

The longer this generation lasts, the better it is for Sony. They made some aggressive moves early on that probably haven't started paying off until recently (cell, bluray). I also wonder how they kept such a strong hold on Europe-- what is their marketing like over there compared to US/UK?

the difference is that while microsoft has always focused on their services (and most of that stuff is only available in the US, some in the UK) and they can't promote that over here, sony actually dubs big games in a lot of different european languages, and launches singstar/buzz/etc. specific games in some countries (here in portugal we even had a singstar tied to a popular tv show), they cater to the different markets (actually started doing that with ps2). if i remember correctly, uncharted 2 had really bad quality cutscenes because they had to cut back on the bitrate for all the extra languages they had on the disc (to fit in a 25gb bluray, they could have just picked a 50gb one i guess).
i've also seen a lot of ps3 ads over here in portugal (nintendo has some too), but i don't remember seeing a single one for xbox 360 (but they might have run some).

Satchel

Banned
So amazing that the second and third best selling consoles of the gen have both managed 70 million (despite a bit of fluffing from both of them).

Great news and a great sign for next gen.

incredible how no one mentions this as a "success" though, two people mention it as a relative success in the entire thread.
then people come to thread and say stupid things.
thisisneogafdude.gif

We're you in the 360 70 mill thread? "Lol RROD" the whole way.

Haven't heard any "lol YLOD" in here at least. Be thankful for that.

the wiiU will take sales from ps3, that is certain, but if anything, that launch will just squeeze the 360 out of the market completely, it's barely alive as it is. the ps3 will hang in there.

The 360 has been a non factor for years in Japan and is the reason Sony has been able to close the gap worldwide because Sony sells in three regions where as MS sells in two.

As an American, I would rather give my money to Japan (Sony) than China (Xbox 360)

LOL, turn your PS3 around and tell us where its made at.

Wow, can't believe how much the PS3 and 360 caught up with Wii sales. Based earlier on in the gen, I thought the Wii would sustain a formidable lead. That lead has largely diminished.

In the US the 360 will more than likely outsell the Wii when everything is done.

Raonak

Banned
That's pretty surprising considering the head start MS got and the insane launch price of the PS3.

god, the ps3 launch was horrible. sony really fucked up at the start of this gen.
PS3 started off in one of the worst case scenerios. supremely overpriced. competetion came out a year before, another competetor came out same month. slim pickings for games in it's early days. bad ports. shit online. shit store. no ingame-xmb. and other os stupidities.

sony really did a massive 180. fixed their OS to some degree, fixed their store, ingamexmb, trophies, etc, games started coming, started pumping out amazing first party titles, dropped the price, got the slim model.
They really pulled it around. It's pretty much neck and neck at this point with the 360.

EagleEyes

god, the ps3 launch was horrible. sony really fucked up at the start of this gen.
PS3 started off in one of the worst case scenerios. supremely overpriced. competetion came out a year before, another competetor came out same month. slim pickings for games in it's early days. bad ports. shit online. shit store. no ingame-xmb. and other os stupidities.

sony really did a massive 180. fixed their OS to some degree, fixed their store, ingamexmb, trophies, etc, games started coming, started pumping out amazing first party titles, dropped the price, got the slim model.
They really pulled it around. It's pretty much neck and neck at this point with the 360.
People act like the 360 set the world on fire when it launched. I think Microsoft had the much bigger hill to climb this gen then Sony did. How would you gage the performance of the 360 then coming off a predecessor that only sold 24 million worldwide then had to go through the whole RROD fiasco? I think both companies are lucky to be in the position they are at the moment.

Banned
But what actually matters is that it's currently printing money for Sony (gaming division was able to post profits last quarter despite Vita flopping hard and having R&D for PS4).

They are not printing money at all. They lost $16 Million in the last 2 Quarters. Before that they lost billions.

You forgot to mention no rumble (Sony: "'Rumble is a last generation feature"; Truth: they didn`t want to pay the fees).

You forgot to mention no rumble (Sony: "'Rumble is a last generation feature"; Truth: they didn`t wont to pay the fees).

Yeesh. Everything that could have went wrong with the PS3 launch went wrong. It was a worse case scenario being realized.

BOTH the PS3 and 360 selling over a 100 million a piece? At that rate they might even overtake the Wii...
Doing another~ 50% of their ltd sales from here on out is a pretty tall order. The only consoles to do that after their sixth years (and with successors on shelves) were PS1 and PS2 iirc. It's definitely possible yet, but I wouldn't money on it.

"Japan and is the reason Sony has been able to close the gap worldwide"
It is the reason. If it was down to just Europe, Sony would be siginificantly behind since the largest gap by far is in North America (which is also the largest HD console market).

Sony being competitive in 3 markets is why they've closed the gap, Microsoft is hurt by being competitive in just two. Looking at how Vita's doing though, maybe this will change next gen?

It is the reason. If it was down to just Europe, Sony would be siginificantly behind since the largest gap by far is in North America (which is also the largest HD console market).

Sony being competitive in 3 markets is why they've closed the gap, Microsoft is hurt by being competitive in just two. Looking at how Vita's doing though, maybe this will change next gen?

What does the vita have to do with anything? Seriously...

I don't think you realize how big the gap is in Europe. The PS3 sold more units over the 360 in Europe then it did in Japan, so if you want to main a reason for the gap closing then Europe is it, not Japan.

What does the vita have to do with anything? Seriously...

I don't think you realize how big the gap is in Europe. The PS3 sold more units over the 360 in Europe then it did in Japan, so if you want to main a reason for the gap closing then Europe is it, not Japan.
Vita just gives an indication for how wrong a platform can go, that's all. And it's the successor to a hugely successful system in Japan... Sony's poor planning is doing major damage in their home region, at this point I don't think PS4 doing well in Japan is an automatic given.

I get your point, but you're missing the larger issue. Sony closed the gap by being competitive in 3 regions, if Microsoft was also competitive in 3 regions or Sony was just competitive in 2 regions then that wouldn't have happened.

Japan takes a huge chunk out of it. If you take Japan out of the equation then Sony would be 15 million or more behind 360 which there is no way Europe makes up those numbers unless you have a link showing otherwise. It's pretty obvious that Sony is most popular in EUR region as the vast majority of current and past (permabanned) SonyGAF is from PAL territories.

MS selling in only two regions where Sony sells in three is how the catch up is able to happen as the gap is huge in the US for MS and slightly higher in the EUR for Sony. That's why I asked if we had a regional breakdown as it would be interesting to see what units are selling to what countries. The math doesn't add up for the European numbers that you are talking about but again, if you have sources for the numbers then we can see a bigger picture.

B.O.O.M

Lol why are we arguing but if we take 'x' out or if we ignore 'x' or if things change etc? It's just the reality, PS3 is way over 360 in both EU and JP and the opposite is true for 360 in the US.

Fewer consoles sold than the Wii, but likely making a lot more money off software sold at this point.
Not with Nintendo's 1st party ratio and centralized R&D. And even with PS3's slightly higher attach rate, Wii has still sold quite a bit more software (about 200m units) iirc.

Lol why are we arguing but if we take 'x' out or if we ignore 'x' or if things change etc? It's just the reality, PS3 is way over 360 in both EU and JP and the opposite is true for 360 in the US.

MetalMurphy said the gap is closing not because of Japan but because of Europe so my post was trying to figure out the math where Japan is not a factor in the Worldwide catch up numbers. But, if you have reliable regional breakdown numbers, please post them.

Not with Nintendo's 1st party ratio and centralized R&D. And even with PS3's slightly higher attach rate, Wii has still sold quite a bit more software (about 200m units) iirc.

True but we need to start factoring in the revenue that these consoles generate from digital content.

They are not printing money at all. They lost $16 Million in the last 2 Quarters. Before that they lost billions.

Yes they lost billions during early years of the gen but considering that they ''only'' lost 16 million during last two quarters (Nintendo lost 350 million...) despite Vita failure and ramping R&D expenses for PS4 tells us that PS3 is highly profitable nowadays. It's not making back those billions but it's making money for them.

thuway

Japan takes a huge chunk out of it. If you take Japan out of the equation then Sony would be 15 million or more behind 360 which there is no way Europe makes up those numbers unless you have a link showing otherwise. It's pretty obvious that Sony is most popular in EUR region as the vast majority of current and past (permabanned) SonyGAF is from PAL territories.

MS selling in only two regions where Sony sells in three is how the catch up is able to happen as the gap is huge in the US for MS and slightly higher in the EUR for Sony. That's why I asked if we had a regional breakdown as it would be interesting to see what units are selling to what countries. The math doesn't add up for the European numbers that you are talking about but again, if you have sources for the numbers then we can see a bigger picture.

You are trying really hard with this.

And what happens if you take Europe out of the equation?....

It's pretty simple, the ps3 has a bigger gap over the 360 in Europe then it does in Japan, therefore Europe is the bigger contributor in closing that gap. Not Japan.

You are trying really hard with this.

The mention of permabanned SonyGAF really was out of the blue lol

MetalMurphy said the gap is closing not because of Japan but because of Europe so my post was trying to figure out the math where Japan is not a factor in the Worldwide catch up numbers. But, if you have reliable regional breakdown numbers, please post them.

That's not what I said, I said it was the main contributor. In fact if you look at recent European numbers provided by Nintendo even if you dismiss Japan completely it wwould still be closing the gap.

evolution

PS3 was a financial disaster for Sony, yet they still managed to ship 70 million units. Now we learn that sony's disaster is neck and neck with the 360. Funny way of looking at it, but true nonetheless. I think MS just did ok this generation while Sony lost the most. Nintendo clearly won this generation, but I think the next is open to anyone.

It seems that you have not visited media create threads for a while. PS3/X360 gap in Japan is 7 million which is nowhere near 15 million.

B.O.O.M

haha my comment was aimed at all of you and not just you. Who cares what the break down is. And to be fair I don't think he excluded Japan..more like pointing out that EU is the biggest reason why the gap is closing. Looking at MC numbers for ps3 hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if he was right.

ps: I stand by my notion that taking 'x' out of the equation arguments are pretty useless. What next? Take US out and bam 360 is doing horrible compared to ps3 or something?

omonimo

Banned
incredible how no one mentions this as a "success" though, two people mention it as a relative success in the entire thread.
then people come to thread and say stupid things.
thisisneogafdude.gif

Ah xbot fanboy. They accuse ps3 fanboy to claim 'success' because they simply say console is neck to neck to 360 WW; maybe because for them 70m of userbase is a matter of incredible success, I suppose.

So amazing that the second and third best selling consoles of the gen have both managed 70 million (despite a bit of fluffing from both of them).

Great news and a great sign for next gen.

We're you in the 360 70 mill thread? "Lol RROD" the whole way.

Haven't heard any "lol YLOD" in here at least. Be thankful for that.

It's weird. You'd think people would be positive that the console industry is incredibly healthy as a whole right now, but all we're getting is "NUNUNUNU IT'S LOSSES GAIZ SHUT UP NO U SHUT UP"

Pistolero

MS selling in only two regions where Sony sells in three is how the catch up is able to happen as the gap is huge in the US for MS and slightly higher in the EUR for Sony.

Am I the only one surprised by this recurring meme, the one consisting of galvanizing Microsoft for conquering north America while lamenting Japan's refusal to play fair (that is the message underneath). If the 360 doesn't sell in Japan, it's Microsoft's problem, not some inherently rooted handicap, some divine fatality that' struck the American firm and blocked its road to total domination. Microsoft's simply not been able to crack that market. So advancing the argument : 2 vs 3 regions is nonsensical.

Top Bottom