• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 shipments surpass 70 million, PSMove surpasses 15 million

Pachinko

Of course they will never catch up in the US. I think the lead is like 14 million behind or something but I'm interested to see Japanese numbers and most important PAL numbers as it seems SCEE pushes the system more than any other region so was interested to see how big a piece of the pie SCEE takes out of the 70.

Ps3 isn't even at 10 million in japan so it must be doing well in other parts of asia and neck and neck in europe. Also for console war purposes it's worth pointing out that the 360 has sold only about 1 million in japan. I'm kind of wondering where the 70 million figure comes from myself because it puts the ps3 neck and neck with 360 worldwide despite an astronomical lead by MS in the states, a lead which is more then double sonys lead over them in japan.

Ps3 isn't even at 10 million in japan so it must be doing well in other parts of asia and neck and neck in europe. Also for console war purposes it's worth pointing out that the 360 has sold only about 1 million in japan. I'm kind of wondering where the 70 million figure comes from myself because it puts the ps3 neck and neck with 360 worldwide despite an astronomical lead by MS in the states, a lead which is more then double sonys lead over them in japan.

Do you mind linking some US LTD numbers for the three consoles?

Mario007

Europe and other regions? Except for the UK the PS3 is leading pretty much in all SCEE markets.

Mario007

Of course they will never catch up in the US. I think the lead is like 14 million behind or something but I'm interested to see Japanese numbers and most important PAL numbers as it seems SCEE pushes the system more than any other region so was interested to see how big a piece of the pie SCEE takes out of the 70.

Last year at Gamescon they said ps3 sold 22.5 million units in Europe, so I think it could be around 28-30 now. Having said that SCEE administers more than just Europe, it pretty much takes care of any other market that isn't North America or East Asia.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Are we talking FY? Because calendar 2011 360 outshipped PS3. 14.9 vs 14.1. The gap was bigger going into 2012, than it was going into 2011.

And yeah I'm not debating the gap is closing and PS3 will eventually overtake 360, just saying it's gonna take longer than some people think at the current rate.

You are correct I did my math wrong.

It matters insofar as it informs developers on how big their potential market is for a title to have Move support or be Move exclusive. Kinect figures are clear - every sale means one potential consumer. But for Move, you do need to factor in how many would have one or two Move controllers. One consumer could have up to four, or just one.

I do think however that the Move figures Sony is giving are Move controllers exclusively. So based on that, I'd say that if 1 in 5 Move owners has two Move controllers (which I think is probably a realistic figure), then that would mean 12,5 PS3s have a Move attached. Which isn't bad at all for a peripheral.

200 titles support the Move to some extent though, so that's not bad either.

I think it really isn't as difficult. Just to be on the safe side, since people have only to hands, they would take that number and cut it in half for an estimated base. It's unlikely everyone is double wielding the wands but it doesn't matter. Cutting the number in half gives a good starting point for expectations.

JJD

Move numbers are surprising. PS3 numbers, not really; took 'em long enough, considering Microsoft's major disadvantage in Japan.

Doesn't MS advantage in the US more than make up for that? Seems the japanese market only cares about portables and mobiles nowadays.

It was probably Europe and the rest of the world that brought Sony where they are today. The Playstation brand is almost as strong on my country now as it was on the PS2 days.

bakedpony

I think it's safe to say that astde from the US and UK, PS3 beats the 360. This not only includes Europe and Japan, but the rest of Asia, South America and maybe Australia as well.

the fact that ps3 actually caught up to 360 and both consoles still have at least a year really isn't that surprising. we already knew for years how the gap kept shrinking, japan,europe and everywhere else (except us and uk) did the job, it was only a matter of time. ps3 2013 lineup with a price drop will give them a nice boost.

onQ123

So with this new number, what is the current breakdown by region?

Not sure but according to some of the post in this thread there is a large warehouse in the Desert filled with millions of PlayStation Move controllers because I haven't seen anyone walking around with a PlayStation Move in their hands.

so 7.5 Million in the Desert 7.5 Million in homes divided by everyone who has the Move has 2 of them = 3.75 million homes with PlayStation Move now take away again because they count each part as a PlayStation Move sold

so 3.75 take away 33% for the PlayStation Eye & another 33% for the Navigation Controller & we have

1.275 Million Homes with PlayStation Moves & 7.5 Million in the Desert.

Japan PS3 numbers can't be too high as the newly released 3DS will pass PS3 LTD by the end of the year. It really is stunning just how much weight SCEE bares of the total sales. If Japan is 9 million ahead and at last count the 360 is ahead by 14 million in the US that still gives MS a 5 million lead when counting both JPN and US regions. Which in turn means SCEE is picking up a ton of slack.

So what is the LTD of Kinect sales vs the Move at this point?

It is not a good measure as Move wands are hard to count. 1 Kinect = 1 customer because even games that support 5 or more players only need one Kinect. Where as 4 Moves can equal 1 customer. Many games support 2 wands and there are some that even require two wands to play making a two player game need 4 wands so the real consumer number can never be truely known.

omonimo

Banned
Japan PS3 numbers can't be too high as the newly released 3DS will pass PS3 LTD by the end of the year. It really is stunning just how much weight SCEE bares of the total sales.

It is not a good measure as Move wands are hard to count. 1 Kinect = 1 customer because even games that support 5 or more players only need one Kinect. Where as 4 Moves can equal 1 customer. Many games support 2 wands and there are some that even require two wands to play making a two player game need 4 wands so the real consumer number can never be truely known.

Sony learn less if a single person buy more Move?

Sony learn less if a single person buy more Move?

Not at all and not what I said. Reread the post.

the fact that ps3 actually caught up to 360 and both consoles still have at least a year really isn't that surprising. we already knew for years how the gap kept shrinking, japan,europe and everywhere else (except us and uk) did the job, it was only a matter of time. ps3 2013 lineup with a price drop will give them a nice boost.

Two factors are unknowns. How the PS3 competes with the WiiU in Japan and how it will effect thier sales in Japan, and a 360 price cut if it happens.

Crazy after all what happened earlier this gen the PS3 might end up matching PS1 numbers, especially when they eventually expand thier production to different territories like they did with ps1/ps2.

Neck and neck in Europe? What makes you say that? Cause it's not even close, the PS3 has a huge lead in Europe.

B.O.O.M

yeah just checked the financials, and I was right.

They had an operating profit of $29 mil in the gaming division. And take into consideration this is most likely reduced thanks to R&D for the upcoming home console as well.

Retrocide

yeah just checked the financials, and I was right.

They had an operating profit of $29 mil in the gaming division. And take into consideration this is most likely reduced thanks to R&D for the upcoming home console as well.

Doesn't the gaming division also have things like the Vaio PC line?

Two factors are unknowns. How the PS3 competes with the WiiU in Japan and how it will effect thier sales in Japan, and a 360 price cut if it happens.

the wiiU will take sales from ps3, that is certain, but if anything, that launch will just squeeze the 360 out of the market completely, it's barely alive as it is. the ps3 will hang in there.

sony won't stand still if microsoft does a price cut, there's a reason why they made the super slim (which is clearly cheaper to make) and upped the price, so they can gain some cash from that until the inevitable price drop to fight both 360 and wiiU next year (i thought it was coming this year next to the holidays, but perhaps not). they're on solid ground to reach ps1 numbers when all is said and done (perhaps a bit more, depends if they really sell it in china) and as i said earlier, the world in general will help sony achieve that. it's really not that surprising, we've seen it happen before with sony consoles, ps3 will be no different.

offshore

In Baconsammy's defence, the game division posted a $45m loss in Q1, so while it made a $29m profit in Q2, it's still an aggregate loss over two quarters this F/Y.

I see what you are trying to say here.

That SCE is covering for other small division loses and still posted a profit?

In Baconsammy's defence, the game division posted a $45m loss in Q1, so while it made a $29m profit in Q2, it's still an aggregate loss over two quarters this F/Y.

And it was posting profits before they merged a bunch of stuff into that new division. Also, a there was a little thing called Vita R&D/launch. I see no reason for them to post losses again until they go into PS4 production.

omonimo

Banned

And it was posting profits before they merged a bunch of stuff into that new division. Also, a there was a little thing called Vita R&D/launch. I see no reason for them to post losses again until they go into PS4 production.

Ah, sony a genius devil. In any case, isn't it illegal what you are trying to claim?

offtopic but: Where's your Hitomi avatar?

Gaming is on it's own now, nothing else is in it's division.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm not the biggest Xbox fan (I really liked the original Xbox, didn't care too much for the 360, but I owned one, until it RROD'd on me), but I'm really impressed by how well it's done this console cycle.

What I like about this generation, is that it feels like there is a balance finally. Sure, the Wii sold almost 100 million units, but the 360 and PS3 have sold 70 million +. Nothing feels overwhelmingly unbalanced like it did last generation with the PS2 clearly and supremely throttling the competition.

This generation has shown me that there truly is a sustainable market for 3 hardware giants, each doing their own thing, and offering something unique to the gaming landscape. The Wii's motion controls. Xbox 360's streamlined and quality online. The PS3's diversity of content (and PS + is really killing it as far as bringing Steam like deals to consoles on a monthly basis).

This has been a great generation of consoles for me. Glad to see the PS3 doing it's thing, and hopefully the Vita will pick up as they push their Vita PS+ stuff, and eventually cut the price. It deserves more success than it's getting, especially considering how much of an improvement over the PSP it is.

The longer this generation lasts, the better it is for Sony. They made some aggressive moves early on that probably haven't started paying off until recently (cell, bluray). I also wonder how they kept such a strong hold on Europe-- what is their marketing like over there compared to US/UK?

FireCloud

Wow, can't believe how much the PS3 and 360 caught up with Wii sales. Based earlier on in the gen, I thought the Wii would sustain a formidable lead. That lead has largely diminished.

It's a good think the Wii-U is releasing now. Another year (or so) and the Wii could have ended the generation in last place.

Top Bottom