• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 shipments surpass 70 million, PSMove surpasses 15 million

Getting close to the PSP (which apparently has sold 71.4 million as of last year), guess it will pass it this year.

But still, according to that article that mentioned the PSP sales last year

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-14-ps3-worldwide-sales-reach-51-8-million

The PS3 had only sold 52 million by Sept 2011. 18 million in a year and 2 months seems a lot.

According to last fiscal year they sold 63 million.

Despite the confusion that they have now created by combing PS3 and PS2 numbers, the trend seems to have continued for the ebbing sales of the PS2 and the growing sales of PS3. This period is normally the biggest FQ anyways so it is not surprising they hit this number. What will be interesting is their performance next FQ and if they can finally hit 15 million in one FY.

Shahed

I'm still shocked Sony turned it around after their disastrous start. If you judge their performance based on where they were when the gen started, it's still a failure. But considering where they could have been, they've done really well to get neck and neck with Microsoft, even if it is rather meaningless at this point. They deserved it though with their exclusive library.

As for Move, it's weird in that if I look at all 3 pieces of motion tech, Move seems like the most appealing to me. It's not compulsory, but it's there to add to the experience if desired. However out of Wiimotes (including Motion +), Kinect and Move, Move is the only one I don't own

Joni

oh didn't know it was that many. ms haven't actually boasted kinect numbers lately.

Because they sell/ship mainly around Christmas. Expect an update of them at the start of 2013.

I'm still shocked Sony turned it around after their disastrous start. If you judge their performance based on where they were when the gen started, it's still a failure. But considering where they could have been, they've done really well to get neck and neck with Microsoft, even if it is rather meaningless at this point. They deserved it though with their exclusive library.

Next gen they should try to do good in US again though. SCEE is really saving the PS3 worldwide, it is responsible for 3,5 continents compared to SCEJ and SCEA with each half a continent. (SCEE does Oceania, Europe, Africa, and the Middle-Eastern/Russian/Indian part of Asia. Compared to North America for US and South-East Asia for SCEJ)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

As for Move, it's weird in that if I look at all 3 pieces of motion tech, Move seems like the most appealing to me. It's not compulsory, but it's there to add to the experience if desired. However out of Wiimotes (including Motion +), Kinect and Move, Move is the only one I don't own

It is because there is a distinct lack of third party support. Not surprising, considering that third party support for the Wii mite is on the downturn as well by the time move is released, which is too bad, because it really works as advertised.

According to last fiscal year they sold 63 million.

Despite the confusion that they have now created by combing PS3 and PS2 numbers, the trend seems to have continued for the ebbing sales of the PS2 and the growing sales of PS3. This period is normally the biggest FQ anyways so it is not surprising they hit this number. What will be interesting is their performance next FQ and if they can finally hit 15 million in one FY.
They're only at 7m and already over halfway though the FY (this Nov 4 figure would also include Black Friday allotments btw) and with the benefit of a redesign launched in Q2, 15m FY seems well out of reach realistically.

They're only at 7m and already over halfway though the FY (this Nov 4 figure would also include Black Friday allotments btw) and with the benefit of a redesign launched in Q2, 15m FY seems well out of reach realistically.

I'll take your word for it. I guess we will find out either at next fiscal report/milestone or at E3.

Mario007

Because they sell/ship mainly around Christmas. Expect an update of them at the start of 2013.

Next gen they should try to do good in US again though. SCEE is really saving the PS3 worldwide, it is responsible for 3,5 continents compared to SCEJ and SCEA with each half a continent. (SCEE does Oceania, Europe, Africa, and the Middle-Eastern/Russian/Indian part of Asia. Compared to North America for US and South-East Asia for SCEJ)

Well with House rising through the ranks and basically being in charge of the SCE, let's hope he manage to get SCEJ and SCEA to get their shit together.

imho seems about right and perfectly normal shipment process..

63 million @ 31st march

70 million @ 4 november

last year they shipped

1.8 + 3.7 mil = 5.5m from 1st april to 30 sept ( and they are below YoY so probably around 5 mil this year)

then last year sony shipped 6.5 mil ( 1st oct to 31 dec )

i believe the shipment would be splitted like 30% from 1st oct to 1st week of november then 70% for BF, christmas and holiday) or something very near such figure..
it's an easy 1.8/2.2 million if they are on track with last year

that's the 7 million needed to reach 70million from 1st april to 4 nov.

even more, this year Sony must have been shipped many console in october due to the new Sku ( 12 GB model for europe, launched in october, and as well the AC bundle out at the end of the month )

the same situation applies also to Microsoft, they don't have a new sku, but there are Halo4 Edition of X360, and COD bundle pack, so in october Microsoft should have shipped a lot of X360.
I believe this quarter will end something around 7+ mil for X360 and something around 6 mil for ps3, that would leave with the usual 2+ mill of difference at the end of the year

Miles X

Why would you see any of these in the wild? They would be in people's homes.

In any case, Microsoft announced that they reached 70 million near the end of last month, and now Sony did the same. They must be on pretty much equal footing now.

No, holiday shipments, MS is probably around 72m by now.

And when PS3 hits China, it will receive incredible boost in sales.

I prophercise that PS3 leads worldwide by Q1 2013 if not sooner.

Getting a little ahead of yourself there. Wasn't the China thing prooven wrong?

PS3 won't ship more than X360 over the holiday, there is no rhyme or reason to it, so the gap will either stay the same or grow in 360's favour. And PS3 isn't erasing a 2m+ gap in Q1, heck it won't even sell that much in Q1.

If this holiday is close then PS3 will likely outsell 360 in Q3 next year.

MS overshipped last xmas but not by the vast amounts people like to make out, the US becoming more dominant in terms of sales over the holidays really helps 360. Last year was 8.2m vs 6.5m, expect something like 7m vs. 6m this year. Meaning the shipment gap closed 1m~ for 2013 and the gap 2.8m down from 3.8m.

No, not at all. Kinect was at 18m shipped at the beginning of the year.

That and you only need one Kinect per household. Most people have at least two Moves. When you think of it this way the number isn't far fetched at all.

Not to say Move hasn't been a success for Sony. All those peripherals sold = $$$.

Verendus

Banned
I've said this before, but I think PS3 will eventually pass 100 million. So, I'm not surprised at this news at all. I suspected around 80 million for both 360/PS3 before their sequel consoles launched and that seems very realistic now too.

Mario007

PS3 won't ship more than X360 over the holiday, there is no rhyme or reason to it, so the gap will either stay the same or grow in 360's favour. And PS3 isn't erasing a 2m+ gap in Q1, heck it won't even sell that much in Q1.

MS overshipped last xmas but not by the vast amounts people like to make out, the US becoming more dominant in terms of sales over the holidays really helps 360. Last year was 8.2m vs 6.5m, expect something like 7m vs. 6m this year. Meaning the shipment gap closed 1m~ for 2013 and the gap 2.8m down from 3.8m.

When you look at the decrease of shipments for the quarter after Christmas this year you'll notice just how much MS overshipped last christmas and there is no way the retailers won't be vary of not doing the same thing year.

Remember when companies used to brag about the number of consoles or games sold instead of using the number of units shipped to retailers, just to inflate those numbers ?

Yeah, those were the days.

Ranger X

Is this the biggest generation yet?

PS3 and 360 will probably finish up at around 75 million each and the Wii will surely break 100 million.

That gives us 250 million total.

Last gen would've been around 211 million I think (PS2 154, Xbox 24, GCN 22, DC 11)...

Yet some publishers are crying doom and gloom and that consoles are done. LOL.
The business never been this good. I wonder how far publishers can go in matter of damage control for hiding their mistakes towards their investors and shareholders.

Miles X

When you look at the decrease of shipments for the quarter after Christmas this year you'll notice just how much MS overshipped last christmas and there is no way the retailers won't be vary of not doing the same thing year.

IGN called. Forever telling people but they won't listen.

Q1 2011 was 2.7 because of the previous christmas and undershipping (actual reports on this rather than just forum titter tatter). Comparing it to that will lead you nowhere. What you want to do is compare it to what 360 has done in previous Q1's.

07: 1.5
08: 1.3
09: 1.7
10: 1.5
11: 2.7
12: 1.4

This year is down for sure but for a combined two reasons, minor overshipping but also the market declining (for the first time for 360 in such a way.)

Mario007

IGN called. Forveer telling people but they won't listen.

Q1 2011 was 2.7 because of the previous christmas and undershipping (actual reports on this rather than just forum titter tatter). Comparing it to that will lead you nowhere. What you want to do is compare it to what 360 has done in previous Q1's.

07: 1.5
08: 1.3
09: 1.7
10: 1.5
11: 2.7
12: 1.4

This year is down for sure but for a combined two reasons, minor overshipping but also the market declining (for the first time for 360 in such a way.)

Sorry I actually meant you should compare it previous Q1s. And when you do, as you have done, you see that there was a decline of 1.3 million. Now the market hasn't collapsed enough to warrant this sort of a drop, so I would definitely see overshipping as a primary reason for it.

Miles X

Sorry I actually meant you should compare it previous Q1s. And when you do, as you have done, you see that there was a decline of 1.3 million. Now the market hasn't collapsed enough to warrant this sort of a drop, so I would definitely see overshipping as a primary reason for it.

You just ignored my reasoning for why it declined YOY 1.3m. Because that Q they had to refill the channel, it was an anomoly and you can see that compared to all other Q1's. If you want to keep ignoring that then don't bother quoting me again.

Fact of the matter is if MS actually had supply 2010 holiday, Q1 would have been something like 1.9m, then nobody would be reaching for the 'overshipping' excuse.

imho seems about right and perfectly normal shipment process..

63 million @ 31st march

70 million @ 4 november

last year they shipped

1.8 + 3.7 mil = 5.5m from 1st april to 30 sept ( and they are below YoY so probably around 5 mil this year)

then last year sony shipped 6.5 mil ( 1st oct to 31 dec )

i believe the shipment would be splitted like 30% from 1st oct to 1st week of november then 70% for BF, christmas and holiday) or something very near such figure..
it's an easy 1.8/2.2 million if they are on track with last year

that's the 7 million needed to reach 70million from 1st april to 4 nov.

even more, this year Sony must have been shipped many console in october due to the new Sku ( 12 GB model for europe, launched in october, and as well the AC bundle out at the end of the month )

the same situation applies also to Microsoft, they don't have a new sku, but there are Halo4 Edition of X360, and COD bundle pack, so in october Microsoft should have shipped a lot of X360.
I believe this quarter will end something around 7+ mil for X360 and something around 6 mil for ps3, that would leave with the usual 2+ mill of difference at the end of the year
If I'm following your rough numbers, 5m (H1) + 6m (Q3) + 2m (Q4) would only bring PS3 to 13m FY. And given how far down YOY PS3 seems to be for 1H, I think those 2H estimates of yours are already on the higher end of the spectrum. Around 12m is probably more realistic really.

shipment on 2013 will be VERY different imho

for 2 reason

1) new console ( for both ) planned and announced
2) price cut for current gen console

i believe that Q1 2013 ( not fiscal ) and first part of Q2 would be strong for both ( Gta, gears and gow will help)

second part of Q2 and Q3 will be VERY below usual standard (due to next gen hardware)
then Q4 would be very good thanks a strong price reduction of X360 and probably ps3 as "entry level hardware" for the market

Miles X

If I'm following your rough numbers, 5m (H1) + 6m (Q3) + 2m (Q4) would only bring PS3 to 13m FY. And given how far down YOY PS3 seems to be for 1H, I think those 2H estimates of yours are already on the higher end of the spectrum. Around 12m is probably more realistic really.

The whole post is an awful mash of maths lol.

PS3 has not shipped 5m for the first 2 Q's this FY, that would require PS2 only shipped 300k last Q. It's likely around 4.3 - 4.5m. Holiday will be down obviously, 6m~ (heck maybe more, WiiU is going to demolish PS3 sales in Japan), Q1 next year could be flat with all the SW they have, 1.8m~?

12.3m for the FY, somewhere between 12 - 13m is to be expected, but then this is no surprise as early this year Sony forecast 13m anyway.

pestul

Great numbers all around this generation. Despite all the bickering, it was sure a good one for every type of gamer.

The whole post is an awful mash of maths lol.

PS3 has not shipped 5m for the first 2 Q's this FY, that would require PS2 only shipped 300k last Q. It's likely around 4.3 - 4.5m. Holiday will be down obviously, 6m~ (heck maybe more, WiiU is going to demolish PS3 sales in Japan), Q1 next year could be flat with all the SW they have, 1.8m~?

12.3m for the FY, somewhere between 12 - 13m is to be expected, but then this is no surprise as early this year Sony forecast 13m anyway.

well with 4.3/4.5 mill @ 30sept and so 67.3/67.5 million total

then you would ship 2.5 / 2.7 mil in just one single month (and 4 days)
imho it's a little too much for this quarter it's more likely ps2 got very low shipment during Q3 because the production has been stopped ( if confirmed) or would be stopped very very soon

but without any real additonal data we could only speculate

Miles X

well with 4.3/4.5 mill @ 30sept and so 67.3/67.5 million total

then you would ship 2.5 / 2.7 mil in just one single month (and 4 days)
imho it's a little too much for this quarter

but without any real additonal data we could only speculate

Unless you're really in the know, none of us have any idea what the said amount is for shipping in time for Black friday/holidays. 'Seeming' a little too much in your opinion means nothing I'm afraid. And it doesn't mean they had to ship 2.5/2.7m.

With 1.8m and 2.5m this FY (my rough figures, feel free to disagree) that puts them at 68.2m end of September. Meaning 1.8m from October 1st to Nov 4th.

FYI they were at 63.9 end of March.

BasilZero

But Xbox and GC was nothing compared to PS2. Doubling Xbox and GC is can't compare to PS2 numbers.

That is true but you have to remember, even though there are solid number figures you have to admit this generation has seen A LOT of units being sold for the big 3. I'm glad it didnt end up like the last gen where the PS2 was like in a monopoly lol.

I'm surprised the Move sold 15 million in general.

Takuan

Move numbers are surprising. PS3 numbers, not really; took 'em long enough, considering Microsoft's major disadvantage in Japan.

BadWolf

Very surprised by Move, guess Sony was right to throw it out there just in case as an option for the consumer.

Too bad they didn't support it better in terms of games, can't see myself ever picking one up.

Loudninja

Very surprised by Move, guess Sony was right to throw it out there just in case as an option for the consumer.

Too bad they didn't support it better in terms of games, can't see myself ever picking one up.
The Move has been getting plenty of support from Sony.

Wonderbook just release this week.

The PS3 has shipped more than the 360 for the past few years now. Whether it is fiscal year or calendar year the gap has been shrinking for quite some time. You are right about the 360 outshipping during the holiday times but the performance for the rest of the year is normally just underneath what the PS3 does. Considering the deals going around each year , such as the 360 being as low as $99 in the adverts it makes sense that they receive such boosts around holiday time.

Seventy5

MS overshipped last xmas but not by the vast amounts people like to make out, the US becoming more dominant in terms of sales over the holidays really helps 360. Last year was 8.2m vs 6.5m, expect something like 7m vs. 6m this year. Meaning the shipment gap closed 1m~ for 2013 and the gap 2.8m down from 3.8m
I managed a Gamestop last year over the holidays. MS WAY overshipped. I had several stores in my immediate area with nearly a hundred on hand after the holidays.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Really good numbers considering the disastrous launch.

Miles X

The PS3 has shipped more than the 360 for the past few years now. Whether it is fiscal year or calendar year the gap has been shrinking for quite some time. You are right about the 360 outshipping during the holiday times but the performance for the rest of the year is normally just underneath what the PS3 does. Considering the deals going around each year , such as the 360 being as low as $99 in the adverts it makes sense that they receive such boosts around holiday time.

Are we talking FY? Because calendar 2011 360 outshipped PS3. 14.9 vs 14.1. The gap was bigger going into 2012, than it was going into 2011.

And yeah I'm not debating the gap is closing and PS3 will eventually overtake 360, just saying it's gonna take longer than some people think at the current rate.

I managed a Gamestop last year over the holidays. MS WAY overshipped. I had several stores in my immediate area with nearly a hundred on hand after the holidays.

That's funny, I know a guy high up at Gamestop that said the opposite, I guess anecdotal data means nothing ^^

onQ123

Really curious to know how they are counting Move compatible games. I've been updating my list pretty regularly and I'm at about 200. I doubt I'm missing as many as 200.

I think they are counting the same games over & over again for the US, Japan ,UK & so on.

Top Bottom