• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 shipments surpass 70 million, PSMove surpasses 15 million

Is this the biggest generation yet?

PS3 and 360 will probably finish up at around 75 million each and the Wii will surely break 100 million.

That gives us 250 million total.

Last gen would've been around 211 million I think (PS2 154, Xbox 24, GCN 22, DC 11)...

PS3 will end with more than 75 million for certain when Sony bring out in smaller markets .
360 should also pass 75 million but i don't think going to sell as long as PS3.

I doubt either conole will see 100 million. Both are winding down heavily despite Sony and MS' best efforts. The market is tapped out.

Don't see how the market is tap out for Sony the have much better distribution chain compare MS or Nintendo for other markets .

Joni

Who the hell owns a Move? anyone here? How the heck did they sell 15 million of those things?
I own one. Don't underestimate EU and casual things.

PS3 and 360 will probably finish up at around 75 million each and the Wii will surely break 100 million.

Last gen would've been around 211 million I think (PS2 154, Xbox 24, GCN 22, DC 11)...

Yes, even more if you consider handhelds. But 75 is nothing, they will do that before E3.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Wouldn't matter though. Still pretty much equal to its direct competitor.

So now that it's going tie and surpass its competitor, ''it doesn't matter''.
lol the bitterness.

lockload

The PS2 had a 70%+ market share last gen along with a ton of exclusives, the comeback of nintendo and the continuing rise of the xbox brand has been remarkable

Basicly what 70% market share to 30%?

falconzss

Not going to happen unless both cease production in a few months.
There are still enough consoles to sell and money to make.

Takao

Banned
I don't believe it, SONY is doomed, am I right?
(lol)
images

ps4 has been canceled

Don't see how the market is tap out for Sony the have much better distribution chain compare MS or Nintendo for other markets .

What the hell does the supply chain have to do with anything? When I say the market is tapped out I mean most of the people interested in one of these consoles likely already has one.

Not going to happen unless both cease production in a few months.
There are still enough consoles to sell and money to make.
Don't think so. The 360 is already 7 years into its life cycle. We're already seeing a rapid decline in MoM returns. The market has reached its limit and is waiting for replenishment.

onQ123

75 Million? they are at 70 Million now & Black Friday & Christmas shopping is the biggest sells time of the year they will be above 75 million in the next few months they will both end close to 100 million.

Who the hell owns a Move? anyone here?

How the heck did they sell 15 million of those things?

PlayStation Move is the best console controller made so far.

Looking back at last gen. HOLY FUCK.

GC and Xbox didn't break 25 million consoles?!

O_O

And that was considered...good? (relatively of course, but still!)

Jesus. Any of the big three did those numbers at the end of the gen they'd be in major trouble.

Takao

Banned
What the hell does the supply chain have to do with anything? When I say the market is tapped out I mean most of the people interested in one of these consoles likely already has one.

Not really, PS2 sold an additional 50 million units after the HD gen began largely because Sony moved into additional markets (South America, India, etc.) with a lower cost platform. The same will likely be true for the PS3. The effect won't be as pronounced as the PS3 is not the PS2 but I doubt we've seen the last of big numbers for PS3.

His point is there are other parts of the world that would still have an appetite for "outdated" console systems. Sony is better equipped to reach these markets than either Nintendo or MS. there is still good business to be done in South America, China, India, etc.

adelante

I thought for sure MS would have sold more than 70mill but apparently they're tied right now. and the fact that sony started a year late just makes you realize how hard they worked to get to this point. this has to be one of the greatest comebacks in gaming history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360
True... but again:

Let's not forget how Playstation was the bigger brand and MS had to work harder to gain, or rather steal, mind share... especially coming from a generation where they had a far smaller user base.

Sony had a huge marketshare gained in previous generations that they could rely on to thrust them forward.. or at least sustain their viability. My point is, we shouldn't diminish or ignore the hardships that each company faced.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Really curious to know how they are counting Move compatible games. I've been updating my list pretty regularly and I'm at about 200. I doubt I'm missing as many as 200.

falconzss

Not really, PS2 sold an additional 50 million units after the HD gen began largely because Sony moved into additional markets with a lower cost platform. The same will likely be the same for the PS3. The effect won't be as pronounced as the PS3 is not the PS2 but I doubt we've seen the last of big numbers for PS3.

I see 100 million as a realistic possibility. Depending on the release of the PS4, PS3 numbers could be already at 80+ million when that happens. Didn't Sony get permission to sell PS3's in China only recently?

Not really, PS2 sold an additional 50 million units after the HD gen began largely because Sony moved into additional markets (South America, India, etc.) with a lower cost platform. The same will likely be true for the PS3. The effect won't be as pronounced as the PS3 is not the PS2 but I doubt we've seen the last of big numbers for PS3.

Your last sentence is the rub. Neither of these systems is the PS2.

I didn't say either system would stop selling; I said the market for them is tapped out.

In order to penetrate tertiary markets both platforms are going to have to drop drastically in price. The PS2 easily transitioned into that space because it was at the end of its natural lifecycle by that time. Both of these systems have artificially kept the price high, which will yield higher returns per console but lower total sales across the board. Sony themselves have expressed more than once that they prefer to recieve more per console than to lower the price and move kit, presumably because of the increased cost in rolling out into those markets.
By the time these consoles are ready for that we'll be well into the next generation and their viability in the major markets will have well died off.

Also, I really don't think these tertiary markets sold 50 million PS2 kits. PS2 was at 120 million at the start of this generation.

Massive success in a bubble, pretty big failure relative to its predecessor.

Is that a fair comment?

Also, the fact that its so close to the 360 despite its later launch, higher price and advertising/killer app problems is constantly surprising to me

Cyborg

People are so negative about Sony....I think N-fanboys have forgotten the Gamecube! A console that did worse than PS3. No right to trash Sony at te moment.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

Is that a fair comment?

Also, the fact that its so close to the 360 despite its later launch, higher price and advertising/killer app problems is constantly surprising to me

It sounds like you described WiiU, this isn't the right thread, there's other threads to discuss that console.

Your last sentence is the rub. Neither of these systems is the PS2.

I didn't say either system would stop selling; I said the market for them is tapped out.

In order to penetrate tertiary markets both platforms are going to have to drop drastically in price. The PS2 easily transitioned into that space because it was at the end of its natural lifecycle by that time. Both of these systems have artificially kept the price high, which will yield higher returns per console but lower total sales across the board. Sony themselves have expressed more than once that they prefer to recieve more per console than to lower the price and move kit, oresumably because of the increased cost in rolling out into those markets.
By the time these consoles are ready for that we'll be well into the next generation and their viability in the major markets will have well died off.

PS1 had the same lasting power in tertiary markets. ps3 will probably do similar numbers to that system.

Well certainly see a price drop to 179-199 in the next year, which is the new 129.

pants

Is that a fair comment?

Playstation is a big brand in Europe and Asia (where people really couldn't care less about Xbox in relative terms) The 360 also has the biggest barrier to overcome in order to sell namely - Paid subs to play multiplayer. Xbox Live Gold is useless outside of the states for all but that due to none of the VAS traveling between regions.

Takao

Banned
PS1 had the same lasting power in tertiary markets. ps3 will probably do similar numbers to that system.

Well certainly see a price drop to 179-199 in the next year, which is the new 129.

Yep, and in those teritary markets the software that sells tends to be sports stuff that'll continue to be made long after PS3 is out of favour in the major markets. After all, EA is still releasing FIFA, and Konami is still releasing PES on PS2.

Playstation is a big brand in Europe and Asia (where people really couldn't care less about Xbox in relative terms) The 360 also has the biggest barrier to overcome in order to sell namely - Paid subs to play multiplayer. Xbox Live Gold is useless outside of the states for all but that due to none of the VAS traveling between regions.

I'm not sure how it is in mainland Europe, but the 360 has a larger retail presence than the PS3 in my experience in the UK at the moment. Bigger ad campaigns, more shelf space.

In terms of audience mindshare and popularity its still behind I think, but I can see it being level by the time the next gen rolls out

pants

I'm not sure how it is in mainland Europe, but the 360 has a larger retail presence than the PS3 in my experience in the UK at the moment. Bigger ad campaigns, more shelf space.

In terms of audience mindshare and popularity its still behind I think, but I can see it being level by the time the next gen rolls out

UK is an exception in a sea of Sonyland.

I wonder how many buyers bought a PS3 and a 360.

I probably won't buy both HD twins next gen.

I did. I bought a 360, PS3, Wii, PSP this gen.
I already have a Vita in terms of "next gen". I suppose I will buy most consoles again this time round.

The 360's advantage in the UK is well known. PlayStation is bigger in Mainland Europe where PS3s handily outsell the 360 in places like France, Germany, Spain and Italy.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I wonder how many buyers bought a PS3 and a 360.

I probably won't buy both HD twins next gen.

I only have a 360, but I am constantly on the fence about a PS3. One time I almost bought one out of pure impulse, no sale or nothing.

The $200 bundle is so tempting, doubly so since I need a blu-ray player.

watership

Europe. My neighbours had a bunch of family from Spain here to Toronto for a wedding, and the 22 year old cousin of the groom noticed I had an 360 and he actually laughed at it. Was surprised I would bother with it when I had a PS3 right beside it. Hardly anyone he knows in Barcelona owns one. UK might be big on 360 but the rest of Europe is hard core Sonyland.

Also I think that Sony's slow software start and 11 month gap behind the 360 was helped by the fact that many people bought it because it was hands down the best Blu-ray player for years.

Ravage

So now that it's going tie and surpass its competitor, ''it doesn't matter''.
lol the bitterness.

I guess the thought of a last-placed 360 has never occurred to them :D

On a serious note, i think all 3 platforms did pretty well this gen. Nintendo is the most successful of the three, for obvious reasons. MS did well to establish their brand. Sony managed to reverse their horrendous launch blunder. The PS3 will probably end up selling close to PS1 numbers (>100m) before production is terminated.

Few in 2005 would have predicted Nintendo leading the gen.
Few in 2008 would have predicted Sony catching up with MS.
Fast forward a few years, all 3 platforms have sold >70m units.

Next gen should be equally unpredictable imo.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Getting close to the PSP (which apparently has sold 71.4 million as of last year), guess it will pass it this year.

But still, according to that article that mentioned the PSP sales last year

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-14-ps3-worldwide-sales-reach-51-8-million

The PS3 had only sold 52 million by Sept 2011. 18 million in a year and 2 months seems a lot.
That 51.8M figure was through June 2011. They talked about it in September at TGS, but it was from the end of their latest fiscal quarter in June.

At the end of their last fiscal year (March '12) Sony announced that the had shipped 63.9M PS3 worldwide. However, since then they've stopped announcing individual system and have taken up the trick of combining systems together. So we no longer know how many PS3s they've been shipping each quarter. As of the end of September, Sony claims to have shipped 6.3M consoles (PS3 & PS2 combined) from since April... which was down 22% y-o-y.

We know this 70M figure uses part of the 3rd quarter, hence the Nov. 4 date, but how much of those total shipments?

JJD

UK is an exception in a sea of Sonyland.

I did. I bought a 360, PS3, Wii, PSP this gen.
I already have a Vita in terms of "next gen". I suppose I will buy most consoles again this time round.

I bought all current gen consoles except the PSP. Got a Vita a few months ago and I've been enjoying mostly a couple of PSP games since then. Still I'm not a protable gamer so I'm on the fence about the 3DS. I'm a huge sucker for strategy games so I might get it just because of Fire Emblem.

Frankly if content wise next gen is the same as this one, I'll probably not get a 720. There's not many MS exclusives that I enjoy and I've been thinking a long time about building a kick ass gaming PC. Gaming PC and a PS3/4 is the most logical combo.

On the other hand MS seems to be getting back on track with first party support. Depending on what they bring to the table next gen I really don't think I will be able to resist! Lol!

I really like this 3 consoles world. I hope MS, Sony and Nintendo stay healthy. Competition is good. I don't really understand fanboys and all the hate the big 3 get.

I only have a 360, but I am constantly on the fence about a PS3. One time I almost bought one out of pure impulse, no sale or nothing.

The $200 bundle is so tempting, doubly so since I need a blu-ray player.

Try to get one on Black Friday...if you can get it cheaper I'd say the amounts of exclusive games definitely justify the purchase. If you can't just wait until Sony inevitably cuts the price on the new PS3. You have waited until now, I guess you can wait a little more.

And if you end up buying one I'd suggest you to sign PSN Plus.

For people who buy a lot of games like me Plus is not that good. I already own most games they're giving away. But for people on a limited budget, or that just don't buy that much stuff Plus is a Godsend.

Since I became a member I've actually bought less games. I really don't know for how long Sony will be able to keep up the service like that. It's just that good.

Edit: Man if you need a blu player just grab one. Until some time ago (not very long) the PS3 was the best blu ray player on the market. As of now I'm sure there are better ones, but the benefit/cost is just too good to pass.

Be warned though that you will want to buy a lot of blu rays and waste a lot of money! Lol!

Top Bottom