• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 shipments surpass 70 million, PSMove surpasses 15 million

Oersted

Several people have already said that both companies are using shipped numbers.

According to his link:
Sony's PlayStation 3 has shipped 70 million units worldwide, the platform holder has revealed, putting it close to the 360's figure of 70 million sold to customers, which was announced earlier this year.

So gameindustry.biz got even that wrong?

According to his link:

So gameindustry.biz got even that wrong?

Yes. They have a remarkable knack for being wrong, unfortunately. The 360 figures come from Microsoft's most recent financial reports. Those detail shipments, they don't break down sell through.

Trevelyon

Shipment @ 4 nov, should already include all the units for the black friday so the difference between X360 @ 70mil on 30sept and a ps3 around 68-69mil @30sept ( considering we don't know how many ps2 were sold during Q2) should be still the same as before 1.5 to 2.5 million ( maybe more, because of H4 bundle shipped within october)

Yeh, this seems like an opportune time to pump the numbers while Microsoft isn't. The figures will adjust and the 2mil+ 360 lead will return after the holiday 360 shipments are known.

jaosobno

That is some crazy sell-trough rate for Move or some weird math or a missleading headline. I will go for the latter.

Also that "still a hair's breadth ahead" oint is a little bit stretched. They are comparing shipment figures to sales numbers. Of course, PS3 can reach sooner or later the XBOX sales, but the 360 sale won´t really stop in the same time. With other words: Sony can play catching up, the competitors can keep leading.

Didn't Major Nelson accidentally let us know that Microsoft uses shipped numbers too?

Oh yeah he did:

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/10/29/major-nelson-xbox-360-actually-sold-42-million-units/

PS3 is constantly outselling X360 worldwide, how else could they close 10 million units gap caused by 1 year delay?

And when PS3 hits China, it will receive incredible boost in sales.

I prophercise that PS3 leads worldwide by Q1 2013 if not sooner.

EGM1966

I'm obviously being a tiny bit sarcastic, but I just don't understand how they've sold so many. I guess just bundling it with everything under the sun.

MS has sold over 15 million Kinects due to being dominant in certain markets with a weak assortment of games and limited hybrid support and around 70 million shipped consoles and you're questioning Sony selling around 15 million Move due to being dominant in certain markets with a weak assortment of games and average hybrid support and around 70 million shipped consoles?

bakedpony

Didn't Major Nelson accidentally let us know that Microsoft uses shipped numbers too?

Oh yeah he did:

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/10/29/major-nelson-xbox-360-actually-sold-42-million-units/

PS3 is constantly outselling X360 worldwide, how else could they close 10 million units gap caused by 1 year delay?

And when PS3 hits China, it will receive incredible boost in sales.

I prophercise that PS3 leads worldwide by Q1 2013 if not sooner.

That's right. A lot of Gaf forget that the PS3 is just about to be unleashed on China.

Oersted

Yes. They have a remarkable knack for being wrong, unfortunately. The 360 figures come from Microsoft's most recent financial reports. Those detail shipments, they don't break down sell through.

Thank you. Found something:

Microsoft announced during its last quarterly report that Xbox 360 shipments had reached 70 million as of September 30.

So the question for the catch up is: Are in those XBOX 360 shipment figures christmas and black friday included like in those by Sony?

Withnail

The figures are not that surprising really. The advantage 360 has in US sales is more than made up by the advantage PS3 has in Japan, and rest of the planet barring a few places seems to favour the PS3.

English language web forums are not at all representative of the global videogames market.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Minus RROD's does that mean PS3 userbase is bigger?

You're onto something mate, it's true!
PS3 has already surpassed RROD 360.

Oersted

Don't see what being a junior has to do with giving an opinion? If you disagree just disagree, bringing junior status into the equation looks pathetic imo.

They both are juniors, both of them, and only them, made that soon in China-statement. It was just laziness on my part, looking for a easy way to adress to both of them. Sorry if it came along the wrong way, it wasn´t meant to put into the equation.

jaosobno

Here you go beloved and admired senior (I stand in awe of your membership length)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-sony-ps3-china-idUSBRE8A60RH20121107

P.s. Your link refuses to open.

EDIT: finally opened, tell me, exactly, what part of this article says "PS3 is not coming to China"? It's not explicitly mentioned anywhere. This is nothing more than a glorified opinion piece.

Nice milestone, but the impression of catching up with 360 is false.

Exactly how is catching up false? it started almost a year behind, and shipped the same amount as the 360 did a month ago. I'm not exactly sure how anyone cane feasibly not consider that catching up.

It will pass the 360 world wide before the end of the gen.

Is it an accomplishment? No.

From #1 with absolutely no real competitor for two generations to fighting over second after colossal losses doesn't seem like an accomplishment to me, but they still did a lot to turn the PS3 around considering its launch.

DBT85

They both are juniors, both of them, and only them, made that soon in China-statement. It was just laziness on my part, looking for a easy way to adress to both of them. Sorry if it came along the wrong way, it wasn´t meant to put into the equation.

It was also mentioned by someone on the last page, though he's only been here 5 years.

And yes, bringing Junior into it always always looks stupid regardless of intentions. Even more so when one of them has been here longer than you.

Here you go beloved and admired senior (I stand in awe of your membership length)

Well played lol.

Oersted

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-sony-ps3-china-idUSBRE8A60RH20121107

P.s. Your link refuses to open.

EDIT: finally opened, tell me, exactly, what part of this article says "PS3 is not coming to China"? It's not explicitly mentioned anywhere. This is nothing more than a glorified opinion piece.

Paywall, mayhaps.
Your link doesn´t really confirm any kind of end for the ban on home game consoles. Yes, there are hints. But they can also easily apply to Wii/WiiU, X360 and those from China.

Regardless, thanks for your find/link.

It was also mentioned by someone on the last page, though he's only been here 5 years.

And yes, bringing Junior into it always always looks stupid regardless of intentions. Even more so when one of them has been here longer than you.

Well played lol.

Should someone really care for what you are saying, if you don´t care for intentions?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Well, the PS3 is the best selling console worldwide, it was only a matter of time.

I think you're a Junior, so maybe I can't trust you. But I wanna trust you, I believe in you, but ehhh, I like you.

Have a cigar.

DBT85

Should someone really care for what you are saying, if you don´t care for intentions?

Unless you state your intentions in the use of the word Junior in the same post as you use the word Junior to address someone, you instantly appear to be trying to look superior because you have been granted member status. That on its own looks dickish. First impressions and all that.

szaromir

Banned
Exactly how is catching up false? it started almost a year behind, and shipped the same amount as the 360 did a month ago. I'm not exactly sure how anyone cane feasibly not consider that catching up.

It will pass the 360 world wide before the end of the gen.
It will pass 360 before the end of 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 the end of the generation.

The point is that majority of consoles are shipped in October-November, so the gap might be rather big for all we know despite the mere 5 week difference in reaching the milestone.

Oersted

Unless you state your intentions in the use of the word Junior in the same post as you use the word Junior to address someone, you instantly appear to be trying to look superior because you have been granted member status. That on its own looks dickish. First impressions and all that.

So first impressions leaded to jumping to conclusions, before asking. Understandable.

No problem, I'm just glad we are friends again. All this confrontation business is not good for my soul.

We never stopped. Somehow.

Limanima

Is it me, or is this thread starging to become a PS3 vs Xbox fight?

Who the hell owns a Move? anyone here?
How the heck did they sell 15 million of those things?
I do. They sold millions of those things, because they work remarkably well.

I think Sony made a good job getting out of the hole they dig for themselfs at the beginning of the generation. I think that if the Playstation brand wasn't so strong, especially in Europe it would have been a major failure.

Could they sell more consoles with a price cut? Sure they could. But they are still selling consoles at this moment, so no need for that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Good thing on turning around the PS3 business... and the console still has quite a lot of price cuts to go before its sales can be done and counted for... look at PS2 still selling more than decent numbers worldwide each year in 2012!

Also, add to the tally two Move controllers and a Navigation controller ;). Really like them too in Heavy Rain for example.

Great numbers for the PS3 but isn't the way Sony count sales for the Move really nebulous? I think I remember hearing that they count every piece involved as a sale so if you own move and a navigation controller, that counts as multiple Moves sold. Not sure if it's or 3 cause I'm not sure if they include the eye with that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Great numbers for the PS3 but isn't the way Sony count sales for the Move really nebulous? I think I remember hearing that they count every piece involved as a sale so if you own move and a navigation controller, that counts as multiple Moves sold. Not sure if it's or 3 cause I'm not sure if they include the eye with that.

I think last time they reported these numbers they qualified them as counting move and navigation controllers, but not pseyes. I might be wrong on that but I think it was the case. That kind of does make it nebulous enough though, sure.

I think last time they reported these numbers they qualified them as counting move and navigation controllers, but not pseyes. I might be wrong on that but I think it was the case. That kind of does make it nebulous enough though, sure.

Yeah, I'd assume they leave out the eye. Even still, it's pretty hard to guess how many people out there own could potentially play a move game.

Bazza

Good to see the Move doing OK, it certainly made our drinking Tiger Woods sessions more deadly, basically every shot your over par is a shot of booze you have to down, an eagle or better and you nominate a friend for a shot. It used to be fun just using the DS3 the Move makes it hilarious.

These numbers would imply 1:5 PS3 owners own move... or that for at least every 5 PS3's on shelves there is at least 1 move... Can't say I've seen either of those things in the wild.

Almost everyone that has Move has 2 controllers, so its probably more like a 1:10 ratio.

Cheech

Even if this gets them second place, it's a pyrrhic victory at best.

LOL, that may be understating things a bit. I don't think anyone but the most brainless of fanboys would call it any type of "victory". Listing the reasons why is like kicking a corpse. It may feel good initially, then you just walk away with regret.

If it wasn't for Sony's insurance business, they would be in Panasonic's market position right now, and we most assuredly would not be getting a PS4.

Pistolero

What a turnaround for the console division...
Kudos to them, in a sense, they've been much more agressive for the last 3 years (not that they had a choice, mind you). They'll probably end up selling another ten million before the PS4 arrives, and matching the first PS in two or three years. More reasons to believe that this particular sector will drain much of the company resources from now on -to our delight-.

Top Bottom