• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 shipments surpass 70 million, PSMove surpasses 15 million

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Try to get one on Black Friday...if you can get it cheaper I'd say the amounts of exclusive games definitely justify the purchase. If you can't just wait until Sony inevitably cuts the price on the new PS3. You have waited until now, I guess you can wait a little more.

And if you end up buying one I'd suggest you to sign PSN Plus.

For people who buy a lot of games like me Plus is not that good. I already own most games they're giving away. But for people on a limited budget, or that just don't buy that much stuff Plus is a Godsend.

Since I became a member I've actually bought less games. I really don't know for how long Sony will be able to keep up the service like that. It's just that good.

Yeah, Black Friday would be the time that I would strike. If I can find one at a Target before I go into work that would be really great, 15% discount on top of the actual sale.

Xbox 360 - 70 million
Wii - 97.18 million

Great news for Sony, but I'm having a hard time believing Sony caught up to Microsoft already. I know Microsoft is irrelevant in Japan, but hasn't Microsoft been outselling Sony for a long time in the US and they had similar numbers in Europe as well as other parts of the world?

Takao

Banned
I will own a Move if Until Dawn is Move exclusive.

Until Dawn can use a DS3 IIRC. It actually runs on the Killzone engine actually...

Great news for Sony, but I'm having a hard time believing Sony caught up to Microsoft already. I know Microsoft is irrelevant in Japan, but hasn't Microsoft been outselling Sony for a long time in the US and they had similar numbers in Europe as well as other parts of the world?

No. Sony has been outselling Microsoft in Europe, and additional markets.

Do you own killzone 3? Try it with your move. It can really enhance the experience if you give it a fair shake and get used to it.

I do own Killzone 3. Might wait for my next holiday and start it again with the Move. Is it okay with the Move acopella, or will it be pointless without the Sharpshooter (is that what its called?)

Will Beyond: Two Souls work with a Move?

fixuis

Great numbers. I own 2 moves plus the navi controller. Table tennis from sports champions is still my fav experience. Have yet to try it with a shooter or the likes of infamous which I've heard is great as well. Isn't sony pretty close to xbox in uk as well..Anybody got the recent numbers? and yes sony recently got permission to sell in china…combine that with their other markets supply chain and they will do 100 million easily, which like someone said earlier is ps1 numbers..so pretty good. So No, not everybody who wants the console already has one.

meta4

Brilliant Sales. Looks like it will be the best selling HD console of this gen before the next gen Xbox and PS are out. Great comeback after the idiotic screw ups for first few years.

The 360's advantage in the UK is well known. PlayStation is bigger in Mainland Europe where PS3s handily outsell the 360 in places like France, Germany, Spain and Italy.

This. I think Germany is more pc-centric than console-centric though.

But yeah, overall, mainland Europe and most of the Easter European countries do have a preference for the playstation brand. Free PSN and gimped Live Gold in countries like mine (Cyprus) is also a big factor in their choice on console.

M.D

Here we go...

70 million PS3 units shipped worldwide
15 million Move controllers also in customers' hands
Sony

Sony's PlayStation 3 has shipped 70 million units worldwide, the platform holder has revealed, putting it close to the 360's figure of 70 million sold to customers, which was announced earlier this year.

The distinction, between numbers sent to retailers and numbers in homes, means that Microsoft's machine is still a hair's breadth ahead in terms of userbase. However, that machine has been publicly available for an extra year - seven to Sony's six.

15 million Move controllers had also been sent to retail outlets across the globe as of November 11, Sony reports.

I own a Move. So do a lot of more people in this thread as they already stated.

Just because you or your friends don't, doesn't mean much. :p

I'm obviously being a tiny bit sarcastic, but I just don't understand how they've sold so many. I guess just bundling it with everything under the sun.

Yeah, they are both shipped numbers so we can fairly compare them directly. The only difference is Sony hit the milestone one month and four days later than MS.

I wonder how much units will they move before the end of the production.
I would say ~90k
They still have a good price drops that can move units.

No, and it is a little late considering next gen will start in some days.
Next gen starts when Sony says so!

But honestly: Only becuase the WiiU is launching soon, doesn't mean the "counting" is over.
The race for 2nd place will be over when both Sony&MS have released their systems.

Shipment @ 4 nov, should already include all the units for the black friday so the difference between X360 @ 70mil on 30sept and a ps3 around 68-69mil @30sept ( considering we don't know how many ps2 were sold during Q2) should be still the same as before 1.5 to 2.5 million ( maybe more, because of H4 bundle shipped within october)

bakedpony

Microsoft is big only in the US and UK. For the rest of Europe, Japan and Asia, Microsoft is nothing.

With the recent news the Sony will now be able to sell PS3's in China, expect the gap with the 360 to shrink even more.

I do own Killzone 3. Might wait for my next holiday and start it again with the Move. Is it okay with the Move acopella, or will it be pointless without the Sharpshooter (is that what its called?)

Will Beyond: Two Souls work with a Move?

Never played it with the sharpshooter but it plays more then fine just holding and aiming with the move.

No idea about Beyond: Two Souls though, sorry.

DBT85

Congrats to Sony on reaching 70m with the most expensive console and coming out a year late. I'm sure many many people never expected this day would happen 5.5 years ago.

And on the Move front, both my brother and I own 2 controllers each, both were bought retail and not in a bundle.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well deserved, and even greater kudos for continuing to support the platform with awesome 1st party games and new IPs that are announced for 2013. Next year will be great one for Sony, especially because they are rumored to be 1st out with nextgen console.

BlazinAm

There is some sort of conspiracy with those Move numbers. I'm not calling Sony liars, but that's gotta be a lie.

They are count the main move controller, why is that so hard to believe?

Anyway the move sales kinda make the sales of the Kinect look bad because if I am not mistaken Kinect sold only 25 million.

Oersted

That is some crazy sell-trough rate for Move or some weird math or a missleading headline. I will go for the latter.

Also that "still a hair's breadth ahead" oint is a little bit stretched. They are comparing shipment figures to sales numbers. Of course, PS3 can reach sooner or later the XBOX sales, but the 360 sale won´t really stop in the same time. With other words: Sony can play catching up, the competitors can keep leading.

Top Bottom