• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 "available soon", SHAREfactory revealed (video editor), preloading confirmed

i think sony needs to employ more people in software update department or something, i have xperia z1 compact and i still havnt got android kitkat update, wtf is wrong with them
and regarding the ps4 seriously how much time does it really take to include dynamic themes? how hard is it

It's harder to design something that's absolutely invulnerable to security flaws. One sniff of a 'hello world' hack via a theme, or similar, and the whole thing can tumble down.

Still only share to facebook? Come on.

Also, where is the resume game feature that was promised way back in Feb of last year? Vita has it, but not PS4...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Any word on if this will fix share recording the wrong moments?

I have missed countless amazing BF4 moments because the share iron recorded something from an hour before I pressed the button.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interesting note, US Blog says pre-downloads will be available several days prior to release. EU blog specifically says 4 days before release. Either way, that's plenty of time.

And yet it still takes until nearly the end of the day to get updates live.

If this means we finally get preorders for Europe that'll be good. So far we only have them for ps3

Tcbys

Banned
I really hope they allow direct upload to youtube that be a nice feature. Also where the fuck is the youtube app..

Take Your Share Anywhere
Once you’re done with your masterpiece, you can easily share your SHAREfactory videos to Facebook, or export them to an external USB storage device to upload them elsewhere, another new feature coming as part of the 1.70 system software update. Other PS4 SHARE enhancements include the ability to change the recording time of your gameplay to shorter increments, the ability to change who you share your clips with on the SHARE screen, and the removal of default saves for screenshots and video clips. In addition to these SHARE enhancements, the 1.70 update will allow you switch off HDCP, enabling you to capture video directly from your HDMI output so you can record and share longer clips of your gameplay sessions — a feature I know many of you have been waiting for. We are excited to see what the PlayStation Nation does with these new social features, and cannot wait to get them into your hands!

does this mean shorter pre-set recording times? 15 minutes is a pain in the ass to go through and edit. i would love to set the time to 10 seconds for the majority of BF4 clips

Does this fix the glitch with the share feature?

i really fucking hope so. the entire app will be pointless if this isn't fixed.

madmackem

Yep i want this to fix the fucking thing, its the only gripe i have with my ps4 ive given up using it because it never works. They also need to let people who dont have facebook attached be able to watch your videos, most of my friends list hasnt linked or has a facebook account so they cant see my videos.

Rosur

Hopefully it's not just the share factory coming in this update. Due to this line in the blog.

We’ll have more information to share about new upcoming features for this major system software update as the release approaches, so stay tuned!

Though the preloading is nice.

So other than capturing footage more easily, does switching HDCP off have any other advantages? I heard somewhere that it reduces input lag

I hope that with the arrival of pre-loading, there will be more games available for pre-order overall on PSN.

Also in general, is Sony responsible for developing third-party apps such as Netflix, HBO and Twitch, or is it done by the actual content providers?

I hope that with the arrival of pre-loading, there will be more games available for pre-order overall on PSN.

Also in general, is Sony responsible for developing third-party apps such as Netflix, HBO and Twitch, or is it done by the actual content providers?

Some apps are done by content provider, some aren't. Twitch support on PS4 is made by Sony themselves, and on Xbox its been done by Twitch's team. I think a lot of the apps are made with help from Sony.

Share Studio looks really good.

Seems to me that there is a lot more in that update than the JP press release. Maybe that's all that's coming to Japan? Hmmm? There's got to be more right?

Pillville

S¡mon;108476910 said:
Ah, it's coming... 'Soon'.

j4Mlyb86Wb3Y4.jpg

Some apps are done by content provider, some aren't. Twitch support on PS4 is made by Sony themselves, and on Xbox its been done by Twitch's team. I think a lot of the apps are made with help from Sony.

Interesting. I really wish Sony would just throw some resources at HBO to get a good app going for US and Scandinavia, but sadly they are probably focusing elsewhere right now.

For the icon, i think it's now a direct access to the Share Menu. Hope it is, it's annoying to have to hold Share to access it even when i'm on the PS4 UI.

Would that possibly mean when streaming viewers can now see your home menu instead of the blue screen? Probably not lol.

The way the camera looks in the video makes me.hope they get rid or the small box for streaming and make it wide-screen.

Carl

Ah finally preloading. A feature PS3 has had for years. Did you yanks ever get that om PS3? Anyway cool, might have to try it out sometime :p

Share Factory looks nice,

jyx

Ps4 need a "souls" game. It would be perfect for this upload and share thing. Thinking about epic invasions and co-op. Would be a epic moment if Demons souls 2 would be revealed at the sony conference. Come on Sony, make it happend

m@cross

Hmm interesting tidbits by the blog admin for Sony

+ Scott McCarthy on April 16th, 2014 at 9:14 pm said:
Thanks for the support – we know you guys love dynamic themes on PS3 and look forward to evolving the idea for PS4… How would YOU evolve dynamic themes given the flow of the PS4 UI? We’re listening… let us know!

+ Scott McCarthy on April 16th, 2014 at 9:56 pm said:
Good question! “If i dont own camera can i still use headset on the videos?”
Answer: YES. Record voice OR video commentary.

+ Scott McCarthy on April 16th, 2014 at 10:20 pm said:
Your hope has it right. Share Factory will not linked to the share button.

On name changes
+ Scott McCarthy on April 16th, 2014 at 10:16 pm said:
Yup. One time use is the norm. We get why it’s important. Gamers change and mature, just like the console!

def sim

I'm glad to hear more talks about username changes. Mistakes were made and I'd love some uniformity between my videogame handles.

nullpoynter

In regards to sharing I would also love to see two more options added. I would like to see an option to upload directly to YouTube and an option to save on a cloud drive such as Google Drive or Dropbox.

AwRy108

I just want them to move the Library icon to a permanent place on the top UI bar, and then make the app itself more useful.

DryvBy

I asked this on Twitter early this morning but I don't think I have real followers.

With them exporting video files, couldn't I just use the browser for YouTube and upload the video directly?

I asked this on Twitter early this morning but I don't think I have real followers.

With them exporting video files, couldn't I just use the browser for YouTube and upload the video directly?

You can. The current Sony response to 'where service X integration!?' is that USB export allows you to take your stuff to any service of your choice.

It's not the ideal approach, but it's true that it's the best approach for power-users atm.

EDIT : If you're asking whether or not it's possible within the console itself, we don't know yet. We don't know if 'USB export' creates an accessible folder compartment within the console that's accessible through browser, etc.

mattp

the lack of youtube upload at this point makes me think the only possible explanation is they cut a deal with facebook for a timed exclusivity type thing
i mean, come on. the youtube upload api is public. they could implement it in 10 minutes if they wanted to. there's no technical reason why it isn't in there. its gotta be money

Guymelef

Any confirmation about image export?
We can see export menu on SHAREfactory video but SHAREfactory is a separated app for video, maybe that is the only way to export, maybe also integrated with Share menu.

Top Bottom