• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 "available soon", SHAREfactory revealed (video editor), preloading confirmed

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I personally don't really get what the big deal is with preloading. Maybe it's just that my connection is fast enough that nothing ever takes very long to download (although I've never downloaded a 40+ GB game on my PS4 - still prefer getting big AAA games on disc), or maybe I'm just more patient than some others, but I've just never felt "damn, I need to play this the SECOND it unlocks". The possibility being there is only a good thing, of course, but there are other future features I'm much more eagerly awaiting (standby game suspension, DLNA, MP3 playback, etc). And the current sharing features are mostly fine for my uses (when it works properly), so I'm not terribly excited about that either. So yeah, not really jumping out of my socks over this update. But maybe there will be some nice hidden features.

SeanR1221

Just watched the video. Share factory is badass. Is there going to be a way to have your reaction recorded live as the clip happens? Or can you only add commentary later?

the lack of youtube upload at this point makes me think the only possible explanation is they cut a deal with facebook for a timed exclusivity type thing
i mean, come on. the youtube upload api is public. they could implement it in 10 minutes if they wanted to. there's no technical reason why it isn't in there. its gotta be money

Maybe Facebook wanted a slice of Morpheus, and Sony said 'nah! but you can have exclusivity on this for eight months!'

I personally don't really get what the big deal is with preloading. Maybe it's just that my connection is fast enough that nothing ever takes very long to download (although I've never downloaded a 40+ GB game on my PS4 - still prefer getting big AAA games on disc), or maybe I'm just more patient than some others, but I've just never felt "damn, I need to play this the SECOND it unlocks". The possibility being there is only a good thing, of course, but there are other future features I'm much more eagerly awaiting (standby game suspension, DLNA, MP3 playback, etc). And the current sharing features are mostly fine for my uses (when it works properly), so I'm not terribly excited about that either. So yeah, not really jumping out of my socks over this update. But maybe there will be some nice hidden features.
Well its like expanding play go idea. Being able to play when you want to play.
Just something that was needed for those that want it now yeah. Especially those thread when people get hype and can't wait . you see them in some threads. You also see people complain about slow download or it taking forever day of lol

BibiMaghoo

I can put a custom soundtrack on a video I make on the console...

but I cannot play that music alone on the console...

Dafuq. New features sound great but this is kinda weird.

Z3M0G

New app??

1234.jpg

Fuck the rest of the update, what is this!?!?!

lordxar

I personally don't really get what the big deal is with preloading. Maybe it's just that my connection is fast enough that nothing ever takes very long to download (although I've never downloaded a 40+ GB game on my PS4 - still prefer getting big AAA games on disc), or maybe I'm just more patient than some others, but I've just never felt "damn, I need to play this the SECOND it unlocks".

Try a big game download, you will appreciate preloading. I've got a decent connection too but it still takes a good two or three hours to download something. So if I get home on a launch day after work, half my night is spent downloading. I also tend to forget to leave my PS4 on standby which would help too but the store doesn't usually update until late in the day anyway. Preloading in theory would also alleviate day one congestion.

Stratn

Once they push this patch out, they would be smart to put Destiny up for pre-order. I'm buying the digital version of this game, as I will not foresee trading it in.

Pillville

I personally don't really get what the big deal is with preloading

Even if you're not going to play it the second it comes out, you can be sure that it's ready when you are.

It also help make sure that thousands and thousands of people aren't all trying to download at the exact same time the instant it comes out. It helps spread out the server traffic to try and prevent server overloads.

psychotron

Really liking the pre-loading idea. Now if we could just get discounts on digital games across the board. I just have a really hard time buying digital knowing I have absolutely no resale value at all. I try to get all the latest games, and without being able to trade things in that wouldn't be possible paying full retail.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Then I'm perfectly happy with this. Now I just need M4A/MP3 support and DNLA server support to complete my media center.

But then people exporting to USB are bypassing the 'what's new' page that loads up when you switch on the PS4, so people will see even fewer cool shared videos from their friends.

Sony needs a way to share videos that show up in that view without needing Facebook

TimFL

The only thing that has me remotely interested is the pre-loading feature.

BUT what about non-US users? Last time I checked european PS stores don't even have fricking PS4 pre-orders? The games show up on release day whereas they show up weeks/months in advance as pre-orders in the US store.
No point in a pre-load feature if there are no pre-orders? The fact that the german PS Blog entry specifically mentions pre-loads is nice too, maybe that marks the introduction of PS4 pre-orders in EU PS stores. I sure hope so.

Now if ONLY that update could hit before may so I'm able to switch to a digital pre-order for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game, I want to go all digital but I also don't want to risk waiting for the game to show up in the evening and then download 20-30GB of content.

Nice, USB export could make me push that share button for the first time since launch!

And soon yet again, Sony should trademark that word somehow.

MadFuzzy

Whilst I assume it's not a full changelist, it looks like there are a few extra details and screenshots for 1.7 on the SCE Asia website (including Remote Play via Vita TV and archiving broadcasted videos).

I'm really looking forward to this update. I hope it has my most wanted additions though. Change background color, and notifications when friends come online.

Of course PSN ID change is my biggest request, but I kinda know that isn't happening now.

The Llama

The only thing that has me remotely interested is the pre-loading feature.

BUT what about non-US users? Last time I checked european PS stores don't even have fricking PS4 pre-orders? The games show up on release day whereas they show up weeks/months in advance as pre-orders in the US store.
No point in a pre-load feature if there are no pre-orders? The fact that the german PS Blog entry specifically mentions pre-loads is nice too, maybe that marks the introduction of PS4 pre-orders in EU PS stores. I sure hope so.

Now if ONLY that update could hit before may so I'm able to switch to a digital pre-order for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game, I want to go all digital but I also don't want to risk waiting for the game to show up in the evening and then download 20-30GB of content.

My HOPE is that they're gonna be changing (and modernizing) the pre-order system for everyone, not just on the front-end but on the back-end as well. Who knows though.

OneUh8

This is an amazing update. Can't wait to see what else they get in there. The next significant update will probably come right after E3. I can see them showing/announcing the next one during their conference possibly.

Jesb

Happy Preloading is coming. If anything should be added to sharing screenshots it should be that we don't need to use an app like Facebook or Twitter. It's ridiculous we can't just send a friend(s) a saved screenshot.

Danlord

Those sly dogs, I would guess they aren't really pushing it yet because you cant play it over games yet.

or maybe they're being sly in that they know we'll pick apart every frame of the video to see if there's a sneak preview of what else is in. If it plays locally stored audio tracks imported from USB I would be very surprised if they don't have a separate app to play your music without the SHAREfactory app.
I just hope that I can run both music app and a game at the same time, would be nice to have it functioning when you hold the PS button, displays the track information and buttons there as there's plenty of screen space to hold it without getting cluttered.

rjcc

doesn't matter how fast your connection is, it took me three hours to download titanfall when it launched, everyone hitting the server at the same time is not good, preloading is a better way to achieve the same thing.

is it the end all be all? no, but no one wants to sit around guessing when they'll be able to play their new game.

sangreal

No chance of that happening since you can play Blu-ray movies.

As others have hinted, the problem lies with content that does require HDCP. There are two options:

a) Keep HDCP on all the time (the default)
b) Turn HDCP off when possible, and switch it only when required such as when playing BluRay content (the new option)

The problem with the new option is that receivers and televisions can't gracefully switch from one mode to another. Chances are you'll get a few seconds with no signal every time you switch, which is why it isn't preferable to the default for most people.

These excuses really don't fly when xbox has managed to turn it on and off as needed automatically since the introduction of the hdmi port on the 360

It doesn't bother me since I have an HDCP stripper and I imagine anyone else who cares does as well, but the notion that it must be a manual switch for technical reasons does not pass muster. Even if switching back and forth did introduce handshaking issues, making it a manual switch does not change that.

Top Bottom