• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 patch notes

Phlebas

Banned
Still no notifications for friends signing on/off? How can it be almost 6 months from launch and not have that available...

You can dim the light bar?

That's HUGE.

Someone needs to immediately test the battery life now.

New DUALSHOCK 4 Options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
That's not the same thing...especially considering his example was "Tidux is Online"

can't recall exactly but there were some features he mentioned that he said might end up slipping.

You can dim the light bar?

That's HUGE.

Someone needs to immediately test the battery life now.

Pretty sure someone did and said it didn't make much of a difference if at all. If the DS4 battery bothers you can buy a larger one and do a swap.

What's your issue with the friends list? It works fine for me

1. You have to go into a separate menu from the hub bar unlike PS3's
From the hub you can only see 3 friends. It should just be a drop down list like PS3's or the "Whats new" section of PS4.
2. Online and all friends are separated it should be 1 cohesive list.
3. Offline friends should be organized by their last sign in and not alphabetically.

So basically bring back the exact PS3 friends list, PS4's is so tedious to work with.

Cerny made such a big deal about suspend/resume at the reveal. Talked about it as if it was already to go at launch. Well tell him to get the fuck out of the TUB and get to programming in the same vein he talked about it with that shit eating grin. The damn feature was day 1 for PSP and Vita, and he help design the vita.

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
I'm very curious to see the quality of the videos from USB Export; the compression, bitrate, etc.

Here's hoping for at least 10mbps mp4's.

Boke1879

Still no notifications for friends signing on/off? How can it be almost 6 months from launch and not have that available...

Gotta admit. This is should be priority 1. Especially with the social aspects you've been pushing with this system. I shouldn't have to leave my game just to check and see if someone got online.

Primeau31

Decent update.

Seeing people start hyping up an e3 fw update going on absolutely zero info is just smh territory.

This is why every update becomes a "disappointment". People convince themselves that the feature(s) they want are coming even though theres nothing indicating that they're close yet.

Not saying I don't want Mp3 playback/DLNA. But man. Like, for example people just convince themselves they'll announce it at e3, with zero proof of that being a thing, and when they don't the conference becomes a disappointment for them.

We know it's on the way. I hate being patient but I'm not going to get my hopes up for nothing either. It'll all be ready when it's ready.

CREMSteve

1. You have to go into a separate menu from the hub bar unlike PS3's
From the hub you can only see 3 friends.
3. Ofline friends should be organized by their last sign in and not alphabetically.

So basically bring back the exact PS3 friends list, PS4's is so tedious to work with.
That's funny I much preferred the new friends list versus the old one but I wouldn't mind more options options are always a good thing

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Cool update! But I wonder- why is disabling/enabling HDCP an option? Is there a scenario where anything is better with it on?
Doesn't matter to most people to have it on. Only people looking to stream and people with weird monitors really would want it off.

The Llama

Honestly I'm amazed some people think this is a poor update. I'd rather have this stuff than DLNA. Sharefactory in particular looks really impressive. Biggest feature the PS4 is missing now IMO is suspend/resume, but I have a feeling they're saving that for 2.0 and a big E3 announcement (complete guess though).

I'm happy I can dim the controller light. Happy with the streaming and video improvements.

Not happy that friends notifications are still missing, and I find it unbelievable I can't change the background of the main UI six months after the launch of this console (although I guess it's possible this could be a strealth feature, but I doubt it).

RedAssedApe

Banned
This just increases the quality of twitch not your recorded gameplay right?

twitch/ustream quality update is separate.

they don't mention anything about share button video quality. but i think you might be able to get higher quality videos than what you're getting when you import to facebook via usb? not sure about this though. assuming facebook compresses your videos just like it compresses screenshots.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't get how they couldn't make some sort of folder system for organizing my games. My horizontal list of crap is HUGE now.

mollipen

Absolutely disagree with that. But, it should be an option—so that we can have it either way, and we're both happy.

And folders. :(

I don't get how they couldn't make some sort of folder system for organizing my games. My horizontal list of crap is HUGE now.

I have come to the conclusion that Sony loves to punish people for buying content. It's why folders take so long to get, aren't always logical (no alphabetical sorting of content in folders on PS3), and the download lists always suck huge ass.

Oh, and why Vita memory cards cost so much.

Honestly I'm amazed some people think this is a poor update. I'd rather have this stuff than DLNA.
And I'd rather have DLNA than any of that stuff, though the automatic pre-loading is nice.

And suspend/resume is still a big MIA which sucks since I've grown attached to it on the Xbone, and its a pretty amazing little feature.

I'd probably have a brighter outlook on this update if we knew when to expect the next one.

I am so glad that HDCP will finally be gone for games. While I like the instant screenshot capability of the Share Button the video capture never seemed to fully work for me.

That's funny I much preferred the new friends list versus the old one but I wouldn't mind more options options are always a good thing

Its just annoying at times.
If I want to send a friend a message while in a game, I have to hurry into the FL menu look for him, ...opps he signed off.
back out of the Online list, go into the other list scroll past a hundred other offline players now I can send him a message.

On PS3 it was basically
1. PS button
2. Scroll right
3. Scroll down to said friend
4. triangle on their name -Message

Pachimari

I'm glad about the lightbar dimming, touchpad keyboard, easier pairing with Vita, voice commands for apps (hopefully) and HD streams.

Next I would like 3D Bluray support, friend login notifications, folders, PS Home and suspend/resume.

hohoXD123

How significant do people think the remote play patch will be? Does it take a while to get remote play running at the moment?

The Llama

And I'd rather have DLNA than any of that stuff, though the automatic pre-loading is nice.

And suspend/resume is still a big MIA which sucks since I've grown attached to it on the Xbone, and its a pretty amazing little feature.

I'd probably have a brighter outlook on this update if we knew when to expect the next one.

As a practical matter, why? Just curious. I've tried using DLNA in the past and the quality is usually poor, the connection drops frequently, devices never seem to be able to "find" each other, and it seems to require a whole mess of software to get it up and running.

Darksol

How significant do people think the remote play patch will be? Does it take a while to get remote play running at the moment?

It's easy to get remote play running, after the initial pairing of the devices. I think the patch just makes the initial pairing process easier.

Top Bottom