• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 patch notes

Cudder

How significant do people think the remote play patch will be? Does it take a while to get remote play running at the moment?

It takes maybe 20 seconds to get up and running once you launch the Vita app. I have no problem with how long it is now, but if they make it quicker, I'm game.

Insert Veruca Salt * but i want what i want noowwwwwww * rant

Awesome update. cant wait to just throw my pics/videos up on my flash drive, throw them on my PC and upload them direct.

Finally can share video again

As a practical matter, why? Just curious. I've tried using DLNA in the past and the quality is usually poor, the connection drops frequently, devices never seem to be able to "find" each other, and it seems to require a whole mess of software to get it up and running.
What I'm really after is custom soundtrack support. DLNA is only a means to that end, though I also appreciated the PS3 as a music player with its nifty visualizer.

So now we can export our MP3s to the PS4, reproduce them in sharefactory and add them to our shared videos.
Even though it is said nowhere, given the information in my previous sentence, I suppose that should mean that we can play the MP3s stored in our PS4. And I hope that it won't be too much to ask to be able to do show while playing games...

I just want MP3 to happen so much... please Soony

As a practical matter, why? Just curious. I've tried using DLNA in the past and the quality is usually poor, the connection drops frequently, devices never seem to be able to "find" each other, and it seems to require a whole mess of software to get it up and running.

I've never had any of those issues with DLNA. The quality has always been great, and the experience smooth. I'd take DLNA over any of these new features as well.

Knoxcore

PS3 media server and a router that supports 500mb works flawlessly for me. Stable 1080p, 5.1 DTS streaming. Never a problem. Its your equipment.

Absolutely disagree with that. But, it should be an option—so that we can have it either way, and we're both happy.

If they added sign-out notifications I would be fine with the separate lists.

Still "All" list should be organized by last online.
Hate having to scroll past 20+ people that haven't been on in days, weeks, months just to message someone that signed out 5 minutes ago.

Why can't dim be off?
Why can't we upload straight to youtube?
Where the fuck is the resume game feature promised since before release?

Hdcp probably affects 1% of users...

The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.

J5SEWwr.gif

Why can't dim be off?
Why can't we upload straight to youtube?
Where the fuck is the resume game feature promised since before release?

Hdcp probably affects 1% of users...

Now you can just throw your video onto a usb drive, plug into your PC, then upload that direct to Youtube. I know thats like ... a minute longer then just a direct upload but it is getting close.

hohoXD123

So now we can export our MP3s to the PS4, reproduce them in sharefactory and add them to our shared videos.
Even though it is said nowhere, given the information in my previous sentence, I suppose that should mean that we can play the MP3s stored in our PS4. And I hope that it won't be too much to ask to be able to do show while playing games...

I just want MP3 to happen so much... please Soony

Well there was that MP3 player leak a few days ago. Stealth feature?

Raptor

My PS3 still have more media functionality than my PS4. That is utterly unacceptable in my book. If 5.1 over optical has not been fixed I would have a fit.

We had animated backgrounds in the PS3 and in the PS4 we can't even change the damn background color :(

Shin-Ra

Why isn't dimming the light bar good enough? I don't remember anyone complaining you can't turn off the DUALSHOCK 3 LEDs and the light bar set dim probably reflects less brightly than other things in the room.

Jomjom

Banned
The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.

This is pretty useless without them implementing a Swype like solution for typing. I can do this with my android phone linked to my PS4, why can't I just do it on the DS4 touchpad?!?!

Without this I'm pretty sure I can type just as fast clicking R3 and using the gyro typing.

AwRy108

The Library area still needs a ton of updates, especially in terms of sorting. Dat PS4 UI is going to be absurdly cluttered as time goes on.

Bradf50

Nope. It's a pretty good update IMO.

Yeah I think it's a solid update. People will like it if their into the social aspects and some will find it useless if they don't bother using them features. I guess they will release another update around E3.

Elios83

Honestly I'm amazed some people think this is a poor update. I'd rather have this stuff than DLNA. Sharefactory in particular looks really impressive. Biggest feature the PS4 is missing now IMO is suspend/resume, but I have a feeling they're saving that for 2.0 and a big E3 announcement (complete guess though).

The update is big and there's no doubt about that. Far from poor.
It's just that,for some people,other missing features like games folder, custom wallpapers, mp3 and video playback from USB, DLNA, suspend/resume, full Youtube support are more important and should take the precedence.
I hope that they can make an other big update around E3 time with Playstation Now support, most of the missing features stated above and possibly the rumored emulators for PS1/PS2 games on the store.

Knoxcore

Meh

I need DLNA, MP3 Playback, Youtube and HBOGO.

Same for my Vita, where is Amazon Prime on vita?

I'm really disappointed. Not interested in any of this social stuff. Really, if I want to see game videos, I'll visit one of the multitude of YouTube channels that are devoted to sharing gameplay. This update is for them, not me.

Namikaze

Archiving+720p streams via Twitch, light bar dimming, launching more apps (I'm assuming netflix etc) via the PS camera.

Seems like a pretty good update to me.

Cudder

Ah yes, the amount of effort that went into making that happen was absolutely MASSIVE!

If they have the time to include minor things like that, they should have included things like pausing/prioritizing downloads and friend online notifications.

westman

Cool update! But I wonder- why is disabling/enabling HDCP an option? Is there a scenario where anything is better with it on?

Yes. HDCP is mandatory for DVD/Blu-Ray playback, so having it disabled for games means that it will need to be enabled/disabled when switching between activities. This will most likely be done automatically by the PS4, but will still cause an extra delay with blanked screen when the display is reinitialized for the changed HDCP mode.

mollipen

I use PlayStation Media Server on my MacBook Pro (which works via DLNA) to stream video content to my PS3, and it's great. It'll sometimes have issues when I get file types that need major transcoding or that are big, but for the most part, it works very well.

Did you try media streaming over a wireless network? If so, that might be the issue. I run everything via ethernet, so it's got a far more stable connection.

Yay!
- USB Export Option for Captured Gameplay (though I was hoping they would let us save uncompressed PNGs like on PS3...)

Good to have I guess...
- SHAREfactory
- Automatic Pre-download
- allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad (have to use it first though, it would need top be a sort of swype thing to be useful)
- PayPal support.
- launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice.

I don't care:
- The rest.

Overall usability has not increased much with this update, it's kinda full of gimmicks.
but maybe... STEALTH UPDATES...
(they left out the jp stuff btw, so this is not a complete list technically ;) )
edit: no mention of custom avatars via the PSapp either and we know that's in, too

The mp3 app can be released anytime I guess, it will just hook into the existing ingame music thing. Don't really care though, at the moment I just make a new free Music Unlimited sub every month :p

I hope Suspense Resume won't have a year delay like DriveClub... have they even mentioned it recently?

Else my main wanted feature is DLNA, as I still have to use the PS3 for that. I guess it can be forgiven if it's really that new yet to be finished DLNA thing.
No local media support so far is weak though, especially if all codecs are there.

Oh and no update to the Blu-ray player is kinda shitty, too. I don't have a 3DTV, but I would at least want them to make the player not stop completely when going to the OS...

New DUALSHOCK 4 Options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.
This is awesome, if will make typing a lot easier... I hope!

Archiving+720p streams via Twitch, light bar dimming, launching more apps (I'm assuming netflix etc) via the PS camera.

Seems like a pretty good update to me.
You can already do this with any mic right? Or are they adding capabilities only for the camera's mic?

RedAssedApe

Banned
If they added sign-out notifications I would be fine with the separate lists.

i can understand why you want this since it sounds like you have large friends list. however i respectfully disagree with this. what if i want to just send a random message to someone who is offline. for example now that mobile app supports push i want to message someone to sign on and play. i don't care when they were last online. i can argue that having it sorted out of order for me makes it harder for me to eyeball and find someone quickly.

so yeah...more sorting options are ideal.

Sami+

Good update, though I was silently hoping for MP3 support as an extra surprise. Oh well, hopefully next time.

Jomjom

Banned
You probably won't ever see that. Amazon Prime is exclusive to Amazon's Fire devices in the portable space.

Amazon prime is on iOS devices.

It's just not on Android devices for whatever reason. Although you can install flash and use a browser like Dolphin to just access it from the website directly.

mollipen

Hate having to scroll past 20+ people that haven't been on in days, weeks, months just to message someone that signed out 5 minutes ago.

I'm an alphabetical person. I cannot stand Sony's love for "sort by use", and sorting my friends list by last online would drive me up a wall.

But, the one thing I always go back to is this: More options > Less options

You should be able to go to that list, hit Option, and select how you want it sorted.

Why isn't dimming the light bar good enough? I don't remember anyone complaining you can't turn off the DUALSHOCK 3 LEDs and the light bar set dim probably reflects less brightly than other things in the room.

Um, have you ever compared the size of the lights on the two controllers. Unsurprisingly, the one that is 100x bigger seems to be the one getting the complaints.

Top Bottom