• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 patch notes

Xenus

Very weak update overrall

Like the dim option for led.
preloading is awesome
720p streaming and save recording is great.

No fixed for large patches
Suspend game missing still
streaming game demos
Still no friend notifications

how is this the first update?

There have already been a couple I know of... the last one adding wireless headset support.

It's not a weak update just cause it doesn't necessarily have what you want.

Also as far as the patch fix I'm not even sure it'd be announced if it was in here. As it's more of a dev feature along the lines of freeing up more RAM from the OS on the PS3 that was never officially announced then a consumer feature.

-PXG-

Light bar dimming should melt GAF's servers. That shit is huge. HUUUUUGGGGGGE I tell you. 😱😱😱

icespide

Banned
So we shouldn't get what we paid for? What cho' talking about willis?

you knew what you were getting into, they were very upfront about suspend/resume not making it for launch, and they never gave a solid date for when it would come either

you paid for a PS4 and thats what you got

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet update! For the next one, I really want them to prioritize friend notifications and being able to mark friends as 'favorites'. I really want both of those features in place before the Destiny beta hits. Hmm, I wonder if Destiny will have an active roster like Reach had. That'd really help, regardless.

androvsky

It's not a weak update just cause it doesn't necessarily have what you want.

Also as far as the patch fix I'm not even sure it'd be announced if it was in here. As it's more of a dev feature along the lines of freeing up more RAM from the OS on the PS3 that was never officially announced then a consumer feature.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if the patch size fix isn't in there. It's actually costing Sony money as it's preventing War Thunder from releasing in the U.S., and making a mess of DCUO updates on the system.

As for DLNA and mp3 support, I'd actually expect that to come in the form of an app. All the OS needs to do is provide is network support for the DLNA libraries and probably USB drive reading, which we know 1.7 has thanks to ShareFactory.

Maybe Sony should use that as a slogan instead of "greatness awaits".

I don't see why people are getting on BruiserBear's case. Yeah, no date was stated for suspend/resume, so that makes it perfectly OK for it to be delayed how long exactly? I just want to know exactly what the defining line of reasonable is here.

KalBalboa

Banned
So you think Sony really just doesn't care about having Youtube on the PS4?

Or, is it more likely you see everything about the PS4 OS in an unnecessarily negative light?

Google probably prioritized the Xbox One app based on the media center push it had along with the fact PS4 would have a free browser that could access YouTube leanback without any issues whatsoever on day one, too.

deadpixel

Banned
I'll laugh in the face of anyone who wants flash in the PS4. Just by having flash, you wouldn't be able to open the browser in game. It's a serious CPU and memory hog.

icespide

Banned
Maybe Sony should use that as a slogan instead of "greatness awaits".

I don't see why people are getting on BruiserBear's case. Yeah, no date was stated for suspend/resume, so that makes it perfectly OK for it to be delayed how long exactly? I just want to know exactly what the defining line of reasonable is here.

it's certainly fine to be annoyed with it being delayed, but the whole "getting what we paid for" thing is a bit of a stretch

mf luder

You paid for a 'gaming' console with the extra fruit to come

you knew what you were getting into, they were very upfront about suspend/resume not making it for launch, and they never gave a solid date for when it would come either

Yeah I know its just frustrating when you were looking forward to something and you don't get what you were hoping for. With my up to 8 meg broadband speed its annoying.

Russell

I hate to be that guy since something is better than nothing, but seriously I can't believe these are features that most people were begging for. It's like they didn't listen at all.
Hey, man, you're not the only one. I feel the same way.

Imagine if this update would allow you to play PlayStation 3 discs with improvements in visual fidelity. I think I would faint. (Who wouldn't?) Now, *THAT* would be a (system-selling) update. :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What they really need to do is disable the system music when streaming the Playroom. Shit is annoying on people's streams.

-PXG-

What they really need to do is disable the system music when streaming the Playroom. Shit is annoying on people's streams.

Or how about enabling the menu music that plays when Remote Play or second screen is active. It's much more subtle.

Preloading is a huge plus for Playstation when it comes to multiplats. Unlock the game at midnight(hopefully your local timezone) the day of release? Yes please!

It's a decent update but I hope they are already working on suspend/resume at the absolute least. Isn't this a feature they talked about during the reveal over 14 months ago? Or maybe they didn't say anything about that until later but regardless they have to get that in.

And of course all the other basic features everyone is actually asking for.

I'm interested in the battery life difference between the light bar at high vs low settings. We had the "test" thread that showed it being quite a difference with it on vs off but I think Yosp said it made very little difference. Someone is wrong.

OneUh8

Apparently software development is an easy task. Especially when your previous code base is useless. /s

It's funny because there is actually people that have said it is as easy as copying the PS3 code to PS4... I just don't even know what to say to those people.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I really don't think dimming will make much battery difference so I got myself one of those 1800mAh PS3 batteries and after 5/6 hrs I still have 2 bars out of 3 showing haven't got around to a 8+hrs session yet

Moosehole

Some angry people out there over piddly shit.

Things are being worked on and they're not going to be released until tested and stable. Sony is already proving that they are listening and giving customers what they want. They can't do it all at once.

Apparently software development is an easy task. Especially when your previous code base is useless. /s
As a software developer myself if I was to stand on stage a year ago and sell the world on a feature I sure as hell wouldn't begrudge customers wondering just where the fuck that feature was five and a half months after launch.

Yes, software development isn't easy, and it takes time, but setting the proper expectations isn't some kind of impossible black magic either.

Its reasonable to wonder when this feature will arrive or if we should expect a much longer wait.

Fnord

Not every update (like not every PS+ month) will have what you, specifically, are hoping for. In NO WAY does that make the update bad or worthless. You, personally, may not find value in it, but there are others that will. No one can appease everyone all the time. This whole entitlement mindset is really aggravating. Personally, I'm waiting on the DLNA functionality and a YouTube app. But that's just me. And I fully appreciate that this update will fill the needs of other people. I'm fine with that. And you won't see me complaining at all about it. If there's nothing in this update for you, just be happy that Sony is doing updates that someone else will find useful. All the complaining about this kind of stuff is getting old.

As a software developer myself if I was to stand on stage a year ago and sell the world on a feature I sure as hell wouldn't begrudge customers wondering just where the fuck that feature was five and a half months after launch.

Yes, software development isn't easy, and it takes time, but setting the proper expectations isn't some kind of impossible black magic either.

Its reasonable to wonder when this feature will arrive or if we should expect a much longer wait.

Hey everyone, a common sense post.

Top Bottom