• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Camera already out, unboxing videos inside

ckohler

To be honest I don't understand why would you need camera on launch. Isn't the only game supporting it is PlayRoom? Unless you are twitch streamer, I don't see any way to use the camera until something else comes out that uses it.

You can also use it to log you in using facial recognition and it will accept voice commands on the Dynamic Menu.

RayMaker

Banned
The cam looks nice and I really like the stand it comes with.

but so far sony has shown nothing that makes this camera needed, and its unclear how exactly it will work with games (will move or a nunchuck be needed to play some games etc).

I find the idea of multiple controllers needed to make sure your PS4 is compatible with all games absolutely disgusting.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i see through your plan sony. you releasing these peripherals early so that curious people buy them and then go...damn i have a ds4 and camera already...i guess i should get the ps4 instead of xbone. sneaky!

in all seriousness though...i wonder if games are gonna be on the shelves early too. my best buy pre-order for KZ:SF lists Nov. 8 as release date.

Derpcrawler

You can also use it to log you in using facial recognition and it will accept voice commands on the Dynamic Menu.

Why would I use it when it's faster to press a button? But I guess some people might like it.

P.S.
Lol, damn it, I scanned your barcode on my Nexus 4 because I was curious. You bastard.

Calibus

A "Kinect-like shape" being a rectangle? We're going level accusations of copying solely on the basis of basic geometric patterns now?

In any case it's more likely a case of function determining form more than any intent to copy. Stereoscopic cameras and mic arrays need to be laid out in certain ways to actually be effective.

I can see your point about the stereoscopics being more the determinant than anything. I just would have liked to have seen something a bit different from the long strip shape that we've seen in the Kinect, but if they are going for dual cameras, the only other option would be a dual unit setup. No way that's happening.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify my intentions: I am not trying to imply that Sony was intentionally copying MS's design. It's just that at first glance, the similarity to the general shape of the Kinect is the impression I got.

Kitoro

I have one pre-ordered for 20% off on Amazon, but do I even want one?

I've never owned, and never plan to own PS Move controllers of any kind; will they be needed to get the most out of the camera? Or do the light bars in the DS4 fill the void?

I'd rather spend the money on a game if I'd have to invest in PS Move controllers to enjoy the best of the camera.

kaiyo

Opened the box just now. The stand has three hinges that bend to hook onto the TV.
On the part where the stand holds the camera, it has some prongs that snap the camera into place.

How does it hook onto the TV? Since my monitor has a slight curve at the back, not sure if it would work? And none of the video in OP shows how it clips on to the TV =/.

I can see your point about the stereoscopics being more the determinant than anything. I just would have liked to have seen something a bit different from the long strip shape that we've seen in the Kinect, but if they are going for dual cameras, the only other option would be a dual unit setup. No way that's happening.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify my intentions: I am not trying to imply that Sony was intentionally copy MS's design. It's just that at first glance, the similarity to the general shape of the Kinect is the impression I got.

Yeah, Sony sucks, where's my frustum shaped camera?

Moozo

Can someone with it please enlighten us as to whether the manual has any information on what it might do?

Marc

Hmm, so no hard power switch on the camera itself.

Very disappointing, I don't want that thing turned on all the time. Which means I would have to pull the cable out every time, which will of course be at the back, in other words a huge pain in the arse.

Had been thinking of getting it for my daughter to use the playroom, but that's a big turn off... ha!

Barsinister

Banned
How does it hook onto the TV? Since my monitor has a slight curve at the back, not sure if it would work? And none of the video in OP shows how it clips on to the TV =/.

The hinges are there as a sort of rest so the thing doesn't fall off of the TV. Like a clothes hanger that rests on the doorframe. The way the cables are, it seems that if it were to fall it would be behind the TV. I game on a PS 3D TV and set it up in seconds.

Barsinister

Banned
What about how the stand attaches to a TV? Is there a magnet or what?

I tried to explain in my above post. The weight of the camera is displaced between the stand and the end of the hinge. I'm not savvy enough to post pictures, but the closest analogy is a clothes hanger that rests on a doorframe. Or, a pull-up bar, only in reverse. The hinges allow for just about any TV to hold the camera in place.

I tried to explain in my above post. The weight of the camera is displaced between the stand and the end of the hinge. I'm not savvy enough to post pictures, but the closest analogy is a clothes hanger that rests on a doorframe. Or, a pull-up bar, only in reverse. The hinges allow for just about any TV to hold the camera in place.
Thanks. I wasn't planning on it but I'm considering the camera. Sony needs to announce something besides Playroom for it. Anything.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not regretting my purchase. Need something to chat with and use as I have no camera. Especially if I can use this on PC.

kaiyo

The hinges are there as a sort of rest so the thing doesn't fall off of the TV. Like a clothes hanger that rests on the doorframe. The way the cables are, it seems that if it were to fall it would be behind the TV. I game on a PS 3D TV and set it up in seconds.

Thanks for the explanation. You already set it up? No point of doing it now as there's nothing to use it with, lol

Goldrusher

What about how the stand attaches to a TV? Is there a magnet or what?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWo05f0_yUo#t=4m

Start watching at 4 mins.

camstx30.gif

Dart

Just Dance 2014, does it use the PS Camera like it would the Kinect or would one still need the PS Move?

Gusto

I walked in to a local LameStop and asked if they had the DS4's out yet and the employee had no clue what I was asking for. After I asked for the PS4 controller, he walked to the back and got me one. Now to find the camera and games! It's making it easier to swallow in bits rather than all on launch.

Haha, that second video is amazing. "Oh it plugs into the back! ALL your questions have been answered! TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT"

Cartman86

Banned
Why would I use it when it's faster to press a button? But I guess some people might like it.

P.S.
Lol, damn it, I scanned your barcode on my Nexus 4 because I was curious. You bastard.

If you are the only person on the box you will auto sign in anyways without a camera so it's probably useless for that, but if there are multiple profiles and it signs in the second it sees one person in frame or one person with a controller then it would be faster. That's a specific use case though.

VanWinkle

Just Dance 2014, does it use the PS Camera like it would the Kinect or would one still need the PS Move?

We do not know. Considering it can track bodies, it SHOULD be able to be played without Move.

I got the camera. It's VERY sleek. The stand is also surprisingly nice. I didn't even know it would come with one, lol.

ibvlIC0N3PmuQM.jpg

Top Bottom