• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

Krabardaf

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The main character has 400,000 polygons alone in addition to 60,000 hair strands. I'm not sure if anything at the PS4 event came close (especially with the hair).
Maybe so, but her face looked more artificial and animated worse than that old guy shown by David Cage. Shaders and techniques have come a long way even if brute force hasn't been matched. Less said about that old guy's hair the better (for my argument) though :p However, they've got pretty impressive hair going on in their new PS3 game so I'm not too worried.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
High-end CG effects houses are producing REAL TIME visuals? :-O :D

Better and more accurate real-time preview has long been something that's been worked on at these facilities and are constantly improving. Faster to iterate on a shot when you don't need to wait overnight for the final render.

I could see in a couple years it may get to the point where the real-time stuff is good enough to be considered final render quality for cheaper television animation productions.

StevieP

Banned
yeah no i think you're wrong. It's probably that long for a frame on a single CPU.
If not the film would have to be rendered for years.
ps : 100hours still seems massive even for top notch CG. I believe Pixar's movie frames "only" takes a few hours to render.

Some of the original transformers took 48 hours per FRAME, so no, I don't doubt that some of Avatar's sequences took 100 hours per frame.

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

this is garbage to me. Fuck developers who put graphics over gameplay, you can't even see the enemies. fuck the people who like this type of crap, this is why gaming is in a massive decline.

uhhh...so the smoke and fire is obstructing your view similar to how it would in a real life. I thought that's what we all wanted was more realism. So I guess you'll be sticking with your 360 then...

-SD-

Banned
Better and more accurate real-time preview has long been something that's been worked on at these facilities and are constantly improving. Faster to iterate on a shot when you don't need to wait overnight for the final render.
OK, I've not seen it all, then. Got any footage of those real-time previews?

Jaroof

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

This GIF really does look in-game to me.
The reason I say this is because of the way the dragon reacts to being hit. CAPCOM has a way of conveying when you hit an enemy that always sticks out.
In Resident Evil, they'll twitch where you shot them.
In Dragon's Dogma, wherever you hit the enemy, that part will shake.
In this, if you look at the way the knight swings the sword at the dragon, it doesn't really even make contact.
Despite that lack of contact, it still reacts in a way that's convincing and looks to be satisfying.

HooYaH

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

This GIF really does look in-game to me.
The reason I say this is because of the way the dragon reacts to being hit. CAPCOM has a way of conveying when you hit an enemy that always sticks out.
In Resident Evil, they'll twitch where you shot them.
In Dragon's Dogma, wherever you hit the enemy, that part will shake.
In this, if you look at the way the knight swings the sword at the dragon, it doesn't really even make contact.
Despite that lack of contact, it still reacts in a way that's convincing and looks to be satisfying.

Sigh, why doesn't Capcom make a Next-gen Monster Hunter? They always go for the lowest common hardware. And it's also a good time to bring it to a new audience with the new consoles.

Sigh, why doesn't Capcom make a Next-gen Monster Hunter? They always go for the lowest common hardware. And it's also a good time to bring it to a new audience with the new consoles.

They are cheap or don't have the balls to make one for current gen, there. Well it would be pretty expensive.

Takuan

Won't be fooled again. I will be pleasantly surprised if the launch titles manage to consistently look like this.

Nothing about that Capcom game is realtime. Period.
It's plausible that it's a real-time cutscene, which is still complete fuckery.

Darknight

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

this is garbage to me. Fuck developers who put graphics over gameplay, you can't even see the enemies. fuck the people who like this type of crap, this is why gaming is in a massive decline.

No offence but in real life, when you are getting shot, a magical circle wont appear on the enemy or see where their position is unless you see where the fire muzzle or bullets are coming from.

Now this is a game but still, it's meant to be a graphical showcase. Killzone always has since PS2 days. If you don't like that then dont enter KZ threads? Also immersion goes along with realism in that the developer wont hold your hand on the whereabouts of your enemies. Actually GG does kinda help you in that the Helghast's eyes glow red, even from a distance.

squidyj

ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

....no, you. But seriously does this mean you're going to shift your targets from crytek to GG? It'd be a refreshing change of pace.

Deep Down is clearly not CG, if it is, it's pretty shitty.

Examples

When the elf looking dude gets tossed the torch, the DOF that's applied to him as he's turning his back to the camera is pretty shitty.

When the knight attacks the dragon with the sword his chainmail clips through the armor.

On Infamous Second Son, when the character is holding the helmet before it goes to the cam view, light clips through his hair at the back.

Stop looking at small ass gifs and analysis the actual 1080p videos, you'll see obvious flaws.

RooMHM

uhhh...so the smoke and fire is obstructing your view similar to how it would in a real life. I thought that's what we all wanted was more realism. So I guess you'll be sticking with your 360 then...
Who wants more realism? In a Killzone game to top it all! That's absolutely crazy. People want games to look better but it must play at least as well.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Who wants more realism? In a Killzone game to top it all! That's absolutely crazy. People want games to look better but it must play at least as well.

A fucking sci-fi shooter still needs to look believable. Things like fire, smoke, lighting, reflections, animations, models and shadows all add to the realism.

Why do people keep posting all these gifs when only one of them shows actual gameplay and it didn't even look that great. Watchdogs was the best demo and that was running on a pc. Killzone looks like the same fucking game. How can anyone be excited to play what looks like the same exact style of game that we've been drowning in since last gen. I really don't get it. /rant

Why do people keep posting GIFS in this GIF thread.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I thought that Dragon game looked pretty impressive, but thinking about it, it looks about as good as Lair did.

gkryhewy

Now this is a game but still, it's meant to be a graphical showcase. Killzone always has since PS2 days. If you don't like that then dont enter KZ threads?

Indeed. All flash (assuming you like brown and orange) and no substance for nearly 10 years running, an impressive record.

Demon Ice

Banned
ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif

"Fuck the people that like things I don't like!"

You sound like a lot of fun. Go back to Mario if you want brightly colored enemies with brightly colored weak points. Killzone is portraying firefights in an urban setting, guess what, it's not always easy to see where you're getting shot from.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If anything, I've always wanted to have a FF game and a Deus Ex game with the graphics of their trailers.

I know it's just graphics, but developers can now dream big! And I think that the KZSF demo is proof of that. It's all up to the devs to make it better.

Zeal

Banned
I've heard the opposite.

If that is actually running in-game without any sort of trickery, I am absolutely blown away.

The only thing that makes me doubt is that it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything else shown, even Shadow Fall. The animation alone is mindblowing.

NBtoaster

If that is actually running in-game without any sort of trickery, I am absolutely blown away.

The only thing that makes me doubt is that it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything else shown, even Shadow Fall. The animation alone is mindblowing.

Of all the games it's in the most confined enviornments, has the least characters on screen, has obvious flaws in post processing..doesn't seem too out there. Facial animation looks a bit awkward too.

Portugeezer

There is always trickery involved.

Of all the games it's in the most confined enviornments, has the least characters on screen, has obvious flaws in post processing..doesn't seem too out there. Facial animation looks a bit awkward too.
That is also true, but still a huge leap over the smallest most linear games of 360/PS3.

Capcom MT Framework engine produced some amazing moments this gen, next gen engines from them don't look like they will disappoint.

I thought it all looked great. Shouldn't we all be thankful at the very least that with one console we are sure now we'll still have a controllers in our hands next gen. the rumors about the next xbox are a little concerning, with necessary kinect etc. etc. who knows if any of it is true. The social media integration sony is pushing is annoying but it's seems to be an added rather than integral feature so hopefully there's not too much to be concerned about.

Page 6(100posts) for me and people still question whether or not DD is realtime?

Also: DD = monikers to =
dragons dogma?

yeah, Knack not getting enough love - I would make gifs if I knew how to. lol THe amount of particles on display is cool but the artstyle takes away a lot of the "OMFG, love" that might have gone its way

Top Bottom