• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The cgi in Lair you mean? Cause if you mean the game, you might be the person with the worst case of clouded memory on graphics here on the forum.

Lair had CGI?

edit:

lair.jpg

lair-20070403022957280.jpg

lair-20050916042717444.jpg

Is that CGI?

Drencrom

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

This GIF really does look in-game to me.
The reason I say this is because of the way the dragon reacts to being hit. CAPCOM has a way of conveying when you hit an enemy that always sticks out.
In Resident Evil, they'll twitch where you shot them.
In Dragon's Dogma, wherever you hit the enemy, that part will shake.
In this, if you look at the way the knight swings the sword at the dragon, it doesn't really even make contact.
Despite that lack of contact, it still reacts in a way that's convincing and looks to be satisfying.

Really looking forward to see more of this game, love everything about it!

Loving the PS4 ad. Great music especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7QhUL8NUK4

Two Steps From Hell - Blackheart (SkyWorld)

Shtof

The thing people are forgetting about Deep Down is that it's set in a dark room, with the only moving objects the dragon and the player. I think those graphics should be very much possible, somewhere down the road. But you obviously can't put the dragon in the fighting scene from Killzone SF with a lot of enemies, NPC, smoke and particles.

Chris_C

The problem I have with Knack is that the art style looks like cheap Astro Boy-esque CG. It also looks like it was designed by an Anime influenced team trying to mimic western CG, and not quite getting it right. If the designs were more unique, they'd do a much better job of highlighting the wonderful rendering quality.

That said, I have no doubt the gameplay and design will be aces.

Lair's come up a lot in the last few days since PS meeting and I'm thinking maybe I should try to score a copy cheap as I've never played it.

orioto

Good Art™
The problem I have with Knack is that the art style looks like cheap Astro Boy-esque CG. It also looks like it was designed by an Anime influenced team trying to mimic western CG, and not quite getting it right. If the designs were more unique, they'd do a much better job of highlighting the wonderful rendering quality.

That said, I have no doubt the gameplay and design will be aces.

I don't agree actually. Cause those cg movies you speak of are really clean and sterile. Knack has something more rough or old school. It makes me think more of some clay or stop motion like cg like monster house or norman

Lair's come up a lot in the last few days since PS meeting and I'm thinking maybe I should try to score a copy cheap as I've never played it.

Just know what you're getting into with any Factor5 title.

Fairly impressive tech with... sometimes iffy art direction unless directly tied to an existing franchise. Which is why their Star Wars stuff was always so impressive.

Haven't played Lair aside from at a PS3 owning friends. Didn't play it enough to really say either way how competent the game is.

noah111

Still Alive
yeah, Knack not getting enough love - I would make gifs if I knew how to. lol THe amount of particles on display is cool but the artstyle takes away a lot of the "OMFG, love" that might have gone its way
Couldn't find an HD video download anywhere. :\ The explosions looked amazing from what I could tell on YT.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Would you have believed GOW: Ascension and Beyond: Two Souls were possible back in 2005?

It also took us years to achieve what GoW and Beyond are doing. There were years of transition and evolution. It didn't just happen when we jumped to a new generation of hardware.

I love that it's come to the point of showing heavily, heavily downsampled gifs as representation of a platform's power.

I mean, 480x270? Really now? Halo 4, hell even Super Mario Galaxy 2, look CGI at that resolution. The games look great, but you should use gifs at the original resolution to be realistic.

PS: Next-gen isn't just getting here, it's been here for a while now--> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506297

It also took us years to achieve what GoW and Beyond are doing. There were years of transition and evolution. It didn't just happen when we jumped to a new generation of hardware.

And Beyond is pretty much only running the visuals, it really isn't that impressive when you take that into account.

RiverBed

Banned
Why do the gifs always look better than the trailers and games?

Gifs contain less detail, and so you get an effect akin to the blur tool in image editing software. That hides edges and artifacts in a game and so it makes it look nicer.
However, if your game looks amazing, a gif would actually have an opposite effect on it and make will make it look worse/less due to the same effect (masking of detail), e.g. The new Killzone gif of the city. Buildings in the gif look like their windows are made of cloudy plastic, while in the direct feed footage windows look like the are made with clear high quality crystals. Gran Torismo gifs go both ways depending on the visual style presented in the source.

All I can think of is the fucking ridiculously enormous budgets and development periods these games will require.

A lot of developers already build assets in a higher level of detail then what the game actually does, so it won't effect them that much. Plus moving to completely real time lighting will actually cut a significant amount of dev time.

PS4, the console is stacked with 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM.
Now what that means to me, is that games on PS4 are now not as limited to amount of textures that the game will have or the detail. SO what seen from Killzone SF, Deep down, Knack, infamous 3 is entirely possible. Watch dogs, it will run on PS4 with no problems, if it doesn't, then the developers will have to answer for it. Seriously, look at Sleeping dogs, Watch dogs older brother.

My point being, is that when playing these games, I do hope, that level of quality that they have shown will be what the gameplay will be. What shown is what what the developers goal in what type of game they are presented should be like when finished.

However, this is my opinion, and it is not final, because we do not know the whole specification of hardware that PS4 uses. Also, P$4, it going to be expensive, unless Sony want to sell it at a loss.

VariantX

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

This GIF really does look in-game to me.
The reason I say this is because of the way the dragon reacts to being hit. CAPCOM has a way of conveying when you hit an enemy that always sticks out.
In Resident Evil, they'll twitch where you shot them.
In Dragon's Dogma, wherever you hit the enemy, that part will shake.
In this, if you look at the way the knight swings the sword at the dragon, it doesn't really even make contact.
Despite that lack of contact, it still reacts in a way that's convincing and looks to be satisfying.

Well, that aside, there's one obvious flaw in the visuals that pretty much dictates to me that its in game. When the guy swings his sword, his underclothes clip through his armor. Even with all that power they still haven't gotten rid of clipping yet.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Calling it now...
At least half of the people claiming that Deep Down is CGI (It's not.) will later say that they are disappointed by the leap from PS360 and the new gen.
Some will even claim that they are not impressed by Deep Down if it actually ships as a game.

Well, that aside, there's one obvious flaw in the visuals that pretty much dictates to me that its in game. When the guy swings his sword, his underclothes clip through his armor. Even with all that power they still haven't gotten rid of clipping yet.

Why would they? The computational power required to do that is immense and certainly not worth it to avoid a 1 frame occurrence that no one will notice.

Binabik15

The Souls games and Lair and next gen reminds me of what I've been whining for for years:

I want a dragon game, I want a dragon game, I want a dragon game *I yell until I turn blue*

Why did Lair have to bomb and destroy all chances for another dragon game?

Mlatador

Banned
I love that it's come to the point of showing heavily, heavily downsampled gifs as representation of a platform's power.

I mean, 480x270? Really now? Halo 4, hell even Super Mario Galaxy 2, look CGI at that resolution. The games look great, but you should use gifs at the original resolution to be realistic.

PS: Next-gen isn't just getting here, it's been here for a while now--> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506297

Good post.

when you shrink them down to gif size, a lot of ps3 games already look like "movie cgi".
looking at that killzone's trailer, 1990's cgi maybe, and it looks like a ps3 game with better(?) lighting and more objects on screen.

Finally we can experience something never before seen by man... CGI.

Seeing as how impressive visual effects have never once taken precedent over a quality script or original story in hollywood, i think gaming is quite safe from a slow erosion of quality.

Doesn't look bad at all. Anti-aliasing is superb, image quality is very high, textures and lighting is a little shitty though.

Wait so everyone defends Killzone: Shadow Fall, saying it looks like a huge leap from last gen, but as soon as someone post some shots that don't look all that great people start pulling the "It isn't done yet" card.
It's like your trying to find a contradiction but I don't see it. It can still be a big jump, as proven by the image quality, but it's not finished yet.

Perkel

Banned
Wait so everyone defends Killzone: Shadow Fall, saying it looks like a huge leap from last gen, but as soon as someone post some shots that don't look all that great people start pulling the "It isn't done yet" card.

Because quality of picture meaning AA, certain effects etc are handled mostly in last stage of developement. Right now what is awesome and what should give you idea is scale, art, characters models etc.

For example janky animation at start. That will be probably patched by game release. There is still 7-8 months till release of game and game is still not yet completed.

Other example. Demo of GoW3 had way worse AA in few months they added MLAA and game looked superb.

I saw 1080p version of trailer and i can say even with those small problems game looks fucking amazing. A fucking big step from shitty 720p with terrible AF terrible AA and lot of low resolution texture and effects.

KillGore

Are you saying that it isn't true? The game looks impressive and it still isn't done. It seems the PS3 got a bump with the RAM recently, so it is possible that it'll look even better now. We'll just have to wait closer to launch.

Even if it still looks the same (which I doubt), it is impressive for a launch title, especially when you look at PS3s launch title, like Resistance.

Because quality of picture meaning AA, certain effects etc are handled mostly in last stage of developement. Right now what is awesome and what should give you idea is scale, art, characters models etc.

For example janky animation at start. That will be probably patched by game release. There is still 7-8 months till release of game and game is still not yet completed.

Other example. Demo of GoW3 had way worse AA in few months they added MLAA and game looked superb.

I saw 1080p version of trailer and i can say even with those small problems game looks fucking amazing. A fucking big step from shitty 720p with terrible AF terrible AA and lot of low resolution texture and effects.

Wasn't talking about AA, was talking about the textures in the skybox looking like ass. I honestly don't know why everyone thinks this game looks so good. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, better than current gen, but not a huge leap. It looks more like a current gen game on steroids. The other games shown looked much better.

Top Bottom