• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

Some of the sky scrappers look pretty bad in KZ4:
iO2fXQwqTPP5c.png
Typical launch game and very similar to Resistance in terms of graphical fidelity relative to last gen.

i-Lo

Atm two things I wonder about:

• How did GG manage to be adept at using SSAO without abusing it like in BF3/MoH:W?
  • How has Sucker Punch managed to outdo Guerilla Games in terms of skin shader (both would be pre-alpha/alpha builds)?

Some of the sky scrappers look pretty bad in KZ4:

Typical launch game and very similar to Resistance in terms of graphical fidelity relative to last gen.

More to the point, you were suppose to see them in passing only from that bird's eye view.

I am going to assume this a joke.

What? Some of the skybox textures are pretty sub par, just look at the park and the stuff around it. Or did you misunderstand what his second line meant? He was saying it looks like a launch title and is comparable to Resistance in those terms, not that it looks like that game but that it looks like a game from current gen on steroids.
More to the point, you were suppose to see them in passing only from that bird's eye view.
And it is perfectly excusable because of that, I just hope that before the game launches they put some more detail into the stuff directly under the player in that scene because it is much easier to see it.

apana

It looked better in motion, these don't look that great. You know I think it is possible to have a leap in technology without it registering the same way psychologically. When I watch the Killzone demo I certainly notice how much cleaner the image looks, how sleek it is, how the fire and explosions are much more realistic, but I need to focus more in order for it really to register. That being said I am not really judging until a couple of years into the generation. I am waiting for God of War! I think Deep Down can be done on consoles, I think the camera angles perhaps make it look more CG than it really is. It doesn't look that much beyond what we have seen in Unreal Engine 4 at ideal conditions. Once we have a real demo with someone playing it in real time I think you will see what I am talking about with respect to that game.

Perkel

Banned
I am going to assume this a joke.

He is partially right some of skyscrappers have rather dull roof texture. Though as i said something like that can be changed.

Remember how Killzone textures looked like in first Killzone gameplay and then in release version ? It was massive difference. We are looking at same thing here.

Also rumor goes that recent devkits had split memory pool with 1,5GB of GDDR5 ram and DDR3 ram. Textures are not something you want to have in slow DDR3 memory so they could cut stuff a bit to fit 1,5GB of faster memory.

Draper

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

^ Is the only thing that really impressed me visually, and I am almost certain its CG. =/

Killzone looks nice though, don't get me wrong. It just looks like a natural evolution of what we have now.. the gif above illustrated a huge leap giving an actual new visual experience.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but there's actually clipping with the fabric and his armor when he swings at the dragon there.

i-Lo

And it is perfectly excusable because of that, I just hope that before the game launches they put some more detail into the stuff directly under the player in that scene because it is much easier to see it.

I think it comes to down prioritizing assets based on their actual usage in the game. If you are only going to see it from that perspective once, there is no point adding to it. I do expect changes, but minor ones.

In the latter part of the trailer where he hangs on to the rope and is flown through the city, if you were to pause at frame, finding something that looks low resolution would be inevitable. But while in the game, we play it in motion and as such, assets have to be divided and polished accordingly.

orioto

Good Art™
In 1 or 2 years from now it will be fun to look back at those thread filled with non believers.
It's pretty obvious with what we saw that this gen will bring a graphical quality we cannot even imagine right now.

Let's remember in 4 years, when people will tell us "PS4 debut was crappy, games looked like PS3 and people weren't impressed", that nobody wanted to believe the Capcom demo was real. It's a good illustration of how big the leap was.

Kill Zone graphics will be ridiculous in 2 years, and yet his demo destroys anything current gen.

Now, of course, the fact that people cannot see the difference between a high poly model and a low poly piece of shit with ultra compressed normal maps.. it won't help!

I think it comes to down prioritizing assets based on their actual usage in the game. If you are only going to see it from that perspective once, there is no point adding to it. I do expect changes, but minor ones.

In the latter part of the trailer where he hangs on to the rope and is flown through the city, if you were to pause at frame, finding something that looks low resolution would be inevitable. But while in the game, we play it in motion and as such, assets have to be divided and polished accordingly.

Yeah, like I said it is perfectly excusable. I just personally think they should have put some more detail into it because you go slower at that section, but it doesn't make the game look bad. Hell all they would really have to do is make a completely new texture at the same resolution, just try to make it a bit more convincing because the one they are using looks a bit stretched and like they tried to put to much detail into a really low res texture.

i-Lo

Yeah, like I said it is perfectly excusable. I just personally think they should have put some more detail into it, but it doesn't make the game look bad. Hell all they would really have to do is make a completely new texture at the same resolution, just try to make it a bit more convincing because the one they are using looks a bit stretched and like they tried to put to much detail into a really low res texture.

Let's hope so. Personally, I was taken by the spate of real time reflecting mirrors most of the towers were coated with. I think there will be more flybys with low res stuff in the game when you actually play it. Right now, we are inclined to think about the inadequacies of some texture work of buildings at the bottom(which is objectively true) primarily because of the scrutiny the screens have come under due to the fact it is the first proper playable next gen demo.

But yea, I am with you in hoping for more polish to that section.

Let's hope so. Personally, I was taken by the spate of real time reflecting mirrors most of the towers were coated with. I think there will be more flybys with low res stuff in the game when you actually play it. Right now, we are inclined to think about the inadequacies of some texture work of buildings at the bottom(which is objectively true) primarily because of the scrutiny the screens have come under due to the fact it is the first proper playable next gen demo.

Yeah, that was one of the parts of the demo that really impressed me. This game is definitely a good start for the platform but should in no way be used in an attempt to measure the power of the system simply because it is a launch title. Give it a year or two and we will have titles on the platform that completely blow this game away.

Perkel

Banned

Honestly if that rumor about 1,5GB is true they would need to cut a lot stuff to fit 1,5GB. I am playing currently F New Vegas with 1,5 GB texture pack and it is not even looking close to that textures in trailer (size i mean not quality). Soldiers and some building have really high textures.

i-Lo

Yeah, that was one of the parts of the demo that really impressed me. This game is definitely a good start for the platform but should in no way be used in an attempt to measure the power of the system simply because it is a launch title. Give it a year or two and we will have titles on the platform that completely blow this game away.

Pretty much given how constricted the specs were the game was being developed. In an ever capricious development of machine specs, it's really hard to program to exact specs. And while I know it's not the most popular thing to say, some even consider it a taboo, but in time when the resolution is brought down to say, 1280x1080/dynamic/720p, by then devs would have achieved things that would melt our eye balls.

Those are bullshots downsampled from higher resolutions than 1080p, they don't represent AA/IQ of the final game.

They're not, there's tonnes of aliasing, especially shader aliasing. I play downsampled games all the time and those shots are most certainly not downsampled in the slightest.

Honestly if that rumor about 1,5GB is true they would need to cut a lot stuff to fit 1,5GB. I am playing currently F New Vegas with 1,5 GB texture pack and it is not even looking close to that textures in trailer (size i mean not quality). Soldiers and some building have really high textures.

Games running on a PC=/=Games optimized for a single set of hardware.

Yeah. And let's not kid ourselves. It's not like they are low res because the PS4 is maxed out or anything. If anybody really believes this he probably never heard how game development usually works.

One thing I have really enjoyed this gen and what looks like next gen too is how nice capcom are with the motion blur, some hate it but I love their treatment with it ever since lost planet was released.

Cwarrior

The gameplay segments of the killzone SF looks underwhelming,one the reason why I think it was underwhelming for lot people was just how familiar it looked, it looks like generic shooter #698 with a visual upgrade to look like shooter we've been seeing on pc for few years now.

Games like watchdog really blew people away as it really looked like a leap for open world games.

iboR0k5Aj6ppLK.gif

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

ibsL8hhImV1BWO.gif

Xun

Killzone looks nice though, don't get me wrong. It just looks like a natural evolution of what we have now.. the gif above illustrated a huge leap giving an actual new visual experience.
Pretty much.

I'm still not sure why people find it that impressive, personally. To me it looks like a current-gen game at 1080p, with some added fancy effects. It looks very nice, sure, but not as mind blowing as people are claiming.

If Killzone SF is all it takes to impress people this gen, I think people will be in shock at what's in store for us.

MooseKing

Banned
PS4 looks great, but I am fucking tired of people posting tiny little gif's that are 1/8th the resolution the game is going to have to run on your TV.

It makes anything you do look 100 times better. Go watch the 1080p version if the Killzone trailer on gametrailers. The scene where he fly's to the launch pad and you see the city is mind blowing. However when he starts playing it looks a bit worse than Crysis 3.

orioto

Good Art™
Anyone else feel like Watch Dogs took a significant hit graphically compared to the reveal?

I wondered about that. Difficult to say. The compression was awful in the stream, and the setting was less "cool" by daylight.

It's the same for Killzone, and what Cwarrior said.
The setting, what's happening, is as important as the tech in a demo, to impress people.
I still think Kill Zone was not a good demo at all cause it used all those shiny techs into something so classical and boring that you've got everyone thinking it was the same. Kill Zone has always been about crazy light, shadows, futuristic dark mood etc.. Here it's not putting a lot of effort into that, which cancels somewhat the progress. The demo is way more appealing at the near end, by night, with the mechs.

I'm pretty confident the E3 demo will be 10 times more impressive.

PS4 looks great, but I am fucking tired of people posting tiny little gif's that are 1/8th the resolution the game is going to have to run on your TV.

It makes anything you do look 100 times better. Go watch the 1080p version if the Killzone trailer on gametrailers. The scene where he fly's to the launch pad and you see the city is mind blowing. However when he starts playing it looks a bit worse than Crysis 3.

Honestly at this level of detail and IQ, tiny gifs will be less impressive than the full thing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Even the blue strips coming off the skyscraper look like that are from wipeout :(
such a tease :(

A launch day Wipeout would have me on day one.

Killzone? Could care less.

Shoyz

Does that mean it'll look that good when you're playing it on your Vita? :)

MooseKing

Banned
You want people to start posting native res gifs all over the forum, that sounds painful.

No. I just don't want people showing them and acting as if the game will look like that when it comes out. They are in for a massive let down. They are essentially downsampling by over 4 times. Go read the downsampling thread to see how that makes things look.

I wondered about that. Difficult to say. The compression was awful in the stream, and the setting was less "cool" by daylight.

It's the same for Killzone, and what Cwarrior said.
The setting, what's happening, is as important as the tech in a demo, to impress people.
I still think Kill Zone was not a good demo at all cause it used all those shiny techs into something so classical and boring that you've got everyone thinking it was the same. Kill Zone has always been about crazy light, shadows, futuristic dark mood etc.. Here it's not putting a lot of effort into that, which cancels somewhat the progress. The demo is way more appealing at the near end, by night, with the mechs.

I'm pretty confident the E3 demo will be 10 times more impressive.

Definitely.

MooseKing

Banned
Does that mean it'll look that good when you're playing it on your Vita? :)

You are confusing screen size with resolution. The VITA won't be taking a 1080p image and downsampling it. It is not that powerful. It will just be running it at it's own native resolution.

No. I just don't want people showing them and acting as if the game will look like that when it comes out. They are in for a massive let down. They are essentially downsampling by over 4 times. Go read the downsampling thread to see how that makes things look.

There are native res gifs by suhni that also look amazing. Small gifs are more convenient and less browser crashy in my opinion.

Shayan

Banned
Source for this claim?

yes it is true

actually i refuted that comment first but the poster is claiming 1.5g for graphics which is very true
Guerilla convinced SONY for the 8gig RAM which was changed like 2.5 months ago

EDIT: i clarified a few of my claims with Kagari about the nextbox/ps4 and upcoming betrayaltons at e3

Games like watchdog really blowed people away at it really looked like a leap for open world games.

KZ is the only game that blew people away at e3. did you see how many things were happening on screen . It looked familiar but you havent senn all of KZ. Evolution also blew people away and the realtime Capcom demo too

Perkel

Banned
Anyone else feel like Watch Dogs took a significant hit graphically compared to the reveal?

Hard to say. First was sunset + night, second was broad day which can make things look bad (often 12h lighting make things look shitty).

Obviously screen tear was noticeable, framerate was solid and when car hit barrier it behaved with fantastic physic model.

Also it was not on PS4. It was still PC speced to meet PS4 like capability. From rumors we know that devkits weren't with 4GB of GDDR5 only 1,5GB. Final devkit will have 8GB so quality of textures effects etc can be a lot better.

In summary to early to say something to little was shown (like particle effects)

yes it is true

actually i refuted that comment first but the poster is claiming 1.5g for graphics which is very true
Guerilla convinced SONY for the 8gig RAM which was changed like 2.5 months ago

source ?

Top Bottom