• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striek

We don't normally get figures from official sources outside Japan apart from Nintendo.

Knack will quickly fall behind SMW3D in overall sales too, but its funny and sad for now.

Why did Knack bundles sell so well? Because retailers were likely telling customers they only had bundled PS4 systems in stock when they opened for business. Customers had to either buy one of them or walk away empty handed. After KZ/AC bundles ran out it was Knack or bust.

Congratulations to Sony though, they've got their message across to gamers very well since February.

Hasney

sold more and is a better game

It really isn't. I was someone who was disappointed that I could only get the Knack bundle, but ended up loving it instead of trading it straight in. It's a lovely throwback to PS1 games like Spyro, even if the "story" is a bit terrible (thanks for letting us skip those cutscenes).

But it's not even close to being in 3D World's league. It's not the same sport even.

Anyway, I'm to blame for this. Bundles are counted, but digital sales aren't if I'm right? Got the Knack bundle, got 3D World off the eShop.

Majine

Banned
kazining.gif

Long-haired Reggie seems terrifying.

JoeM86

Wait, so you mean a console launch title on a console launch (when they sell the most), which was also in a bundle, sold more than a new title on a console that has not done well in the country?

I am shocked. SHOCKED. </sarcasm>

DieH@rd

Banned
1. COD Ghosts
2. Fifa 14
3. BF4
4. KZ:SF
5. AC4
6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes
7. GTA 5
8. Need for Speed: Rivals
9. Just Dance 2014
10. Batman: Arkham Origins

13. Knack
14. Super Mario 3D World

Rat Salad

Banned

LOL. Oh Christ this is good stuff. I so wish I knew how to make gifs like this,nice job. So then....what are the actual sell through numbers for the PS4 in the UK? Did they just surpass the X1 numbers or obliterate them? Gaf always says the Europe is Sony Land. Wanna see the data baby.

Knack got bundled with the machine yes? Otherwise it'd never beat Mario in straight up units sold outside of bundles. Sorta a pseudo way to celebrate the game selling more than Mario,bleh.

Nice to know Ukers have the Bone and Greatness Awaits in their homes now. Next gen finally here atlast(took long enough.)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Knack had the bundle, and those are counted IIRC, but that's still...surprising, at least. XD

I guess that it has more to do with the Wii U's install base in the UK being smaller than the PS4's at this point.

madmackem

Wait, so you mean a console launch title on a console launch (when they sell the most), which was also in a bundle, sold more than a new title on a console that has not done well in the country?

Mario land has seen bundles too, wii u is toast here thats why it got outsold.

Sakura

Not looking too good for MS... Weren't the US and UK the two places that were strong MS territory? Looks to be going Sony... As for Knack, it shouldn't be surprising it sold more than 3D World when you consider the bundles and Wii U install base.

Salex_

How is this surprising? Even crap games sell at launch(I'm not saying Knach is crap, haven't played it) because there's nothing else to play.

Is that why Wonderland 101 sold so well?
Welp. The fallout from NintyGAF will destroy us all.

Now, where are the exact sales numbers?

Well, there's already a few meltdowns...more will come. I think the numbers are coming within a few hours.
Whoa, didn't expect PS4 to beat X1 in the UK considering this generation!
I think it's pretty interesting that from the evidence we have so far that the PS4 is winning in both the US/UK. The 2 areas where MS clearly won last gen and everyone assumed that the "brand power" would carry them to victory for the Xbox One. I want to see what happens in the next few months because MS had the advantage in launch exclusives. What will they have in the next few months besides Titanfall (also on 360/PC)?

madmackem

LOL. Oh Christ this is good stuff. So then....what are the actual sell through numbers for the PS4 in the UK? Did they just surpass the X1 numbers or obliterate them? Gaf always says the Europe is Sony Land. Wanna see the data baby.

Knack got bundled with the machine yes? Otherwise it'd never beat Mario in straight up units sold outside of bumndles. Sorta a pseudo way to celebrate the game selling more than Mario,bleh.

Not really only in a few select bundles non official i dont think, the official bundles were mostly kz.

Zalman

Knack was bundled, can't say I'm surprised. The big news here is that UK is apparently joining Sony land with the rest of Europe.

Hasney

No, we have to wait until at least the third holiday to have a good indicator on whether or not it's the next Dreamcast.

To be fair, considering the PSP was the previous record holder, it's probably prudent to not count the chickens before they've hatched. That said, more consistent software support should stand the PS4 in better stead.

The king is back.

No numbers yet? I think it did at least 250k.

Wasn't there a story that said numbers shipped was around 350k? I might be imagining it though. Considering how scarce they've been, it may have sold 300k of them. Things like Argos stocking system being weird will stop a 100% sell-through.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Whoa, didn't expect PS4 to beat X1 in the UK considering this generation!

The Xbox 360 was released a year ahead of the Playstation 3. And was also considerably cheaper.
The Playstation 2 was the king the generation before that, and no doubt a lot of 360 owners had a PS2 and jumped to 360 because of the above two facts. Those people care more about price point. Couple the PS4's price with PS legacy in the UK, and its no surprise.
The Xbox One doing better in the UK would have surprised me more.

Nintendo fans didnt buy 3D world because of the heatwave.

Wasn't there a story that said numbers shipped was around 350k? I might be imagining it though. Considering how scarce they've been, it may have sold 300k of them. Things like Argos stocking system being weird will stop a 100% sell-through.

Another Eurogamer article claimed they heard Sony shipped 300K units to the UK

I think it's sold out completely so shipped = sold through likely?

Kyon

Banned
Did the Metacritic Stans just assume Knack was a bad game even tho most of them didn't play it? I played a bit at GameStop yesterday. It's definitely better than Mario. Also looks better like a Pixar movie.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Mediocre games selling better than great games is awesome now?

Mediocre is putting it lightly. But who cares as long as it's an exclusive on your favorite console!

But it's expected, the Wii U is dead in the UK, and in most of Europe as well. Software sales will be shit regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom