• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifon

Mario will be the gift that keeps on giving - that thing will continue to sell well over a long period. Knack is only ahead because people were forced it in bundles etc.

Log4Girlz

Imagine the killing Nintendo would have made if Super Mario 3D World was a PlayStation 4 launch title.

It would kill Sony. No one wants some kiddy system Mario is on.

;)

q4FxbGN.gif

Hasney

As Knack was officially bundled with the console a lot of people were left with the choice of Knack or nada.

Yeah, managed to snag an Argos reservation on Sunday after using a stock checking website. Thought I would just trade in Knack for FIFA today after the reviews, but I am loving it.

So PS4 is above 185K and Xbox One is below it?

XB1 UK launch day sales are confirmed to be 150,000 units

I want to know more, especially how Xbox One exclusives sold this week.

Aren't the sales rankings overall and not specific to any platform?

If so

1. COD Ghosts
2. Fifa 14
3. BF4
4. KZ:SF
5. AC4
6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes
7. GTA 5
8. Need for Speed: Rivals
9. Just Dance 2014
10. Batman: Arkham Origins

13. Knack
14. Super Mario 3D World

That means at best XB1 exclusive debuted at 11th or 12th place this week but I kind of doubt that

Curious to see Forza's poll postion

B.O.O.M

Can't wait to see the numbers

Funny thing is, Knack would have cost a mere fraction of the budget of the mario game too. iirc Cerny said the game had like only 2 people working on it for a while too lol

Honestly Knack looks like a very simplistic brawler with some platforming elements that is family oriented. So a parent who picks up the system might be tempted to get it. This news doesn't surprise me in the least. I am really curious to see the NPD numbers for Knack too

PS4 probably came close to doubling the WiiU's install base in the UK in a day or two, so no surprise that any PS4 game sold more.

Again, the WiiU is long dead in the UK, this kind of stuff is no surprise.

doubtful close to doubling but its100% guaranteed higher ltd

dc89

Knack sold more copies than Mario?

Lloyd-Christmas-Cry-and-Gag-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

I've played the Knack demo in a store and yeah it's a neat little game but 3D World is an incredible game. Nintendo pls, do something about the Wii U.

Withnail

I always thought official manufacturer bundles don't count for UK charts. Retailer 'soft' bundles obviously do. Would be good to get clarification on that.

I'm not? I'm just saying that it is expected that a bundled title for the fastest selling console in the UK is more likely to do better than a game on a console that is flailing

So Mario did badly ok. All I see is a bunch of qualifiers dancing around that.

Hasney

Mario will be the gift that keeps on giving - that thing will continue to sell well over a long period. Knack is only ahead because people were forced it in bundles etc.

I'd agree with that statement if this was US or Japan, but the Wii U is dead over here unfortunately. Unless the hardware picks up steam, the game isn't selling much more than it already has.

boingball

Wow at Knack selling more than Mario. Knack 2 here we come. Nintendo going iOS confirmed. (just kidding)

Congrats to Sony I guess.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Little off topic but the story got me thinking:
For somebody more knowledgeable than me, would KZ and Knack be budgeted by Sony according to the fact that they are launch games? Like would Sony expect to make gang-busters off them, ignoring the fact that they are Knack and KZ and wouldn't do gang busters normally anyway. Or like if X1 launched w/ Halo, would it be given the budget of Halo 4 where they would know it'll sell like 5-10 mill in two weeks or whatever, or would it be given a budget where they know the absolute max they could sell would be a million due to stock issues of the system?

Sorry I know it's worded poorly, but i'm genuinely curious.

Elvick

Banned
What ever it sold it couldve sold more, few people i know have been hunting since friday, always missing out when they come in stock for minutes on places like argos and john lewis. Its crazy they sold like this despite the absolute onslaught from ms ad money that has seen to nearly every ad break carrying xboxone ads. Sony couldve sold double what they did if they had the units and had hit the ads as hard as ms.
I'd like to think that Sony is holding the 'hard ads' for when they have a better stream of units to sell to consumers.

Seems like a waste to do so much advertising right at launch. You're very limited in who can buy it, and the demand is already insanely high coming off a 7-8 year generation.

Just hope that Sony does do some 'hard ad' push sometime next year. Maybe by inFamous they'll be ready for it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Hooray for original IP! Bad news for Nintendo's one trick plumber. Knack is a cool bro.

Salex_

If this was several months after the PS4 launch, then yes it would be shocking. However, as a launch title, a first party one, no it really isn't.

But a new Mario game debuted at 14th place? How is that not bad? If this was a new Halo/Uncharted/LBP//GT/Gears/etc it would be at the top of the charts.
I said launch game
I know! That's why I highlighted the few games to play. Before Wonderland 101 there really wasn't much in the library to play.

JoeM86

So Mario did badly ok. All I see is a bunch of qualifiers dancing around that.

Who says it did badly? We don't have the numbers to make such an assertion.

But a new Mario game debuted at 14th place? How is that not bad? If this was a new Halo/Uncharted/LBP/Gears/etc it would be at the top of the charts.

Not if they were on a console that few had bought...or they were released on the same day as another console which turned out to be the fastest selling.

Alvarez

Banned
Knack sold more than Mario?

Maybe we will see a sequel after all.

(not that Knack will sell more long term, Mario will over take it easily, Mario has nice legs for a short fat plumber)

You never know. Imagine if Knack were to implement Katamari Damacy elements. Imagine multiplayer online platforming Knack. Imagine flying mecha Knack. Imagine Knack reduced to a bunch of spherical pieces that you have to move around ala Marble Madness.

They have (and had) the opportunity to make Knack and interesting series. They just have to do it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That boy Mario Kart is our last hope.

Dat moving goal post.

Well done Sony. Looking forward to seeing world wide sales figures to date. I'm thinking around 2.5 million at this point. Maybe a bit higher.

So PS4 install base is much higher in the Uk than the Wii-U.

Yep. Shows you how dead WiiU is in the UK.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why did Knack bundles sell so well? Because retailers were likely telling customers they only had bundled PS4 systems in stock when they opened for business. Customers had to either buy one of them or walk away empty handed. After KZ/AC bundles ran out it was Knack or bust.

Congratulations to Sony though, they've got their message across to gamers very well since February.

Yep, they did that at Asda where I got my PS4 from. They had 21 PS4s and 21 Knack bundles.

I'm not? I'm just saying that it is expected that a bundled title for the fastest selling console in the UK is more likely to do better than a game on a console that is flailing

1) The Knack bundle Is not a popular bundle

2) Bundles didn't help Wind walker, Or More recently NSMB

3) The fact that Knack outsold Mario is not the conversation, The conversation is that the Wii U install base doesn't buy anything and even 3D Mario is not reviving the consoles fortunes in this territory.

It was pretty much expected PS4 would surpass Wii U given it was set to break the record. People apparently haven't been paying attention to how dead Wii U is in the UK/Europe.

B.O.O.M

Little off topic but the story got me thinking:
For somebody more knowledgeable than me, would KZ and Knack be budgeted by Sony according to the fact that they are launch games? Like would Sony expect to make gang-busters off them, ignoring the fact that they are Knack and KZ and wouldn't do gang busters normally anyway. Or like if X1 launched w/ Halo, would it be given the budget of Halo 4 where they would know it'll sell like 5-10 mill in two weeks or whatever, or would it be given a budget where they know the absolute max they could sell would be a million due to stock issues of the system?

Sorry I know it's worded poorly, but i'm genuinely curious.

Tbh I'm not sure about KZ SF. But Knack seems to be a very low budget title. to the point where Shahid once called it an indie game (long story..basically he was saying if budgets dictated indie titles knack would also be one or something along those lines)

The work they put into the KZ SF engine will come in handy for the rest of the gen too so it's a bit of an investment there as well. Hopefully GG will release more details on the development of the game in the future

madmackem

PS4 probably came close to doubling the WiiU's install base in the UK in a day or two, so no surprise that any PS4 game sold more.

Again, the WiiU is long dead in the UK, this kind of stuff is no surprise.

This, i dont think non uk people get how toast this machine is, amazon were doing it for £150 not long after launch and it didnt blow up. Its a machine that totally lost its wii fad crowd and was too underpowered to tempt the dude bro fifa cod crowd when they knew the new playstation and xbox were around the corner.

The signs were there for sometime as wii was quicker to die here than most other places, the wii fad crowd which was huge also lost interest in it as quickly. Ninty as a brand isnt nearly as popular here as say usa or france.

Rat Salad

Banned
Holy shit at Knack outselling Mario. The fact that it happened is both hilarious and sad.

Indeed. Will be interesting to see which has better legs months after launch. Allot of this is on Nintendo though. The Wii-U has a god awful public perception,its hard to shake things like that once youre branded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom