• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Wii U in the UK. I don't know what they did (or didn't do) but it's obvious that Nintendo fucked up bad over there, I don't think there's any coming back from that hole they dug themselves into. U owners should rush out to buy 3D World before it becomes a rare collector's item, lol. It's a shame to see a game of that caliber not sell like it should because it's obvious EAD Tokyo put a lot of work into making it something special. No one else but Nintendo can be blamed for these failures though.

Good for Sony though, they know how to market their products. They clearly want to do well.

goomba

Banned
interesting how people ignore the fact that psp's record launch meant nothing in the long term success of the platform

madmackem

Nope. The bubble has burst. WiiU is dead. There is no way that Ninty can at this point revive it.

Maybes an official mario kart bundles early next year for around £179 would help, agree though ninty totally fucked up here. They fucked up here even after they fucked up the 3ds launch with the pricing. They need new people running the show as the ones in place are not doing a very good job and totally misjudged the market here.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It was 44.99 in store. The guy who sold me it had said it had been really popular that day , which I assumed was BS anyway given I stay in a town of 40k people and there are probably only a few hundred U's in the area at best.

It's a shame it sold poorly because it's all kinds of amazing. My 5 year old has spent the weekend walking around humming Mario music, it's such a shame to see the console fail so badly.

I was in a couple a GAME stores (Glasgow) on launch day and it was £49.99. Maybe it was a pricing error. A couple of days later it was £44.99. It should be £39.99 in stores and £29.00 in the eShop.

Isn't UK supposed to be Xbawks land?

For the last 7/8 years, yeah. PS1 and PS2 dominated before that, but with the 360 we proved that we're perfectly willing to flip if the price and quality is right.

Honestly, Nintendo should have looked at Microsoft circa 2005 to see what you can do with a 1 year head start on the competition. What a shame.

Sakura

The morale victory aside, I don't think Sony would (or should) even care if they do at this point. A graying, growth-stagnated population where the console gaming market has already reached (and exceeded) full maturation isn't exactly at the top of anyone's list as far as strategic growth goes.
Japan consists of more console sales than like, any country in Europe. I wouldn't say it is nothing more than a morale victory.

kazining.gif

This is perfect.

Honey Bunny

Fighting sales charts with sales charts? PS4 beat WiiU so Super Mario will beat Knack?

I think it's crazy how Sony obsessed UK is. I'm sure there's some sort of Sony oriented backmasked hypnotic suggestion in God Save The Queen or something.

So Sony obsessed that they were the only major EU territory to favour the Xbox over Playstation last gen

UK is price oriented more than anything else.

For those who will undoubtedly bring up Wii U. That's in an odd place where people are just completely indifferent to it, possibly due to have Nintendo handled the last two years of the Wii and their not being the same multiplt games on U as there are on PS360 and PS4/X1.

The way I see it is PS3/360 style gaming for double the price, it was £299 vs £149 at one point. There is no great advancement with the Wii U in terms of graphics compared to the cheaper and older PS3/360 and the gameplay hook (u-tab) has left people cold.

The Wii U is essentially Nintendo games in HD graphics, there is a very limited market for such a console at the price Nintendo are asking. Better graphics with a £199 price and Nintendo would at least be doing better than the Cube.

madmackem

interesting how people ignore the fact that psp's record launch meant nothing in the long term success of the platform

Psp suffered from lack of software a high price and it didnt have nintendo handheld games, ps4 wont have that issue as it will not only have sonys first party but most every third party big hitter.

Striek

PSP sold 80 million units so . . .

Everyone implicitly understands that the launch isn't the be-all end-all, theres no need to downplay the accomplishments significance nonetheless.

B.O.O.M

Interesting how you are repeating this....if you want to go with some context add also the differences in handheld vs home console sales for sony products, market reception in the past etc to the mix.

cafemomo

Wii U really needs to make a more compelling case in the eyes of the public to get momentum.
Nintendo had a 1 year head start and ruined that.
3D Mario did jack around the world, so what's left?
Donkey Kong? Lel

Mario Kart is probably gonna move a few units and Smash is going to be released on the 3DS which will help hammer the final nail to the WiiUs coffin.

allan-bh

Interesting how you are repeating this....if you want to go with some context add also the differences in handheld vs home console sales for sony products, market reception in the past etc to the mix.

Xbox 360- 70k first week

PS3- 165k first week.

PS4 is starting big on UK, but in the long term doesn't mean much.

RulkezX

I was in a couple a GAME stores (Glasgow) on launch day and it was £49.99. Maybe it was a pricing error. A couple of days later it was £44.99. It should be £39.99 in stores and £29.00 in the eShop.

Dunno then, seems to be the usual story with Game and their weird pricing.

It was 44.99 at Game in Dumfries, I hadn't expected to pay more than 39.99 for a WiiU game. The e Shop price is all kinds of fucked up.

Raide

E3 2014 is going to be awesome! One the install base for Xbox One and PS4 starts to pan out, it will be great to see what games get announced and what Megatons we have coming! Also, maybe Nintendo will actually think about the competition and do something instead of being stuck in their own little world.

Wooooo for games!

Zemm

Did the Metacritic Stans just assume Knack was a bad game even tho most of them didn't play it? I played a bit at GameStop yesterday. It's definitely better than Mario. Also looks better like a Pixar movie.

Rofl this post. How long until @NeogafShitPosts puts it up?

jimbor

Banned
Fighting sales charts with sales charts? PS4 beat WiiU so Super Mario will beat Knack?

I think it's crazy how Sony obsessed UK is. I'm sure there's some sort of Sony oriented backmasked hypnotic suggestion in God Save The Queen or something.

If that was the case, PS3 would've outsold 360, mane.

All I can say is if you are a Nintendo fan and want a WiiU, wait a couple more weeks.

There are going to be some insane january sales on the consoles as retailers dump the last remaining stock and move everything to their warehouses to be sold onlne. Don't be surprised to see flash deals of 150 pound premiums + a game.

noobie

Banned

it manages 80 Million life time sales. which is not low by any means. I wander how much it would have sold if it didnt have this initial boast... This initial boast make sure one thing that the platform will easily cross 50 million.. So i believe Initial sales means a lot.. PS3 never got that initial reception so it struggled to reach 80 Million.. and Wii U will struggle even to cross i think 30 million LT.

I think its a denial if we say that this does not mean anything.. i m sure third parties are looking into these figure closely and making lot of decision based on this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom