• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 GAF: How often do you use Spotify?

adin75

Honestly I have never used it. Not sure that will ever change.

My daughter did once though, she was stuffing around on her iPad while I was playing Destiny then all of a sudden music started playing through the PS4, I had no idea what the hell was happening. Needless to say she was quite amused.

RPS37

I'll say this. I would use it sooooo much if Xbox ONE had it.
Better answer: I was planning on using it while I played Driveclub VR but I haven't play that very much lately.

JimiNutz

Banned
I use it sometimes but am unsure of how to play it in the background while I game. Do I simply play the music I want through Spotify and then load up the game?

Greddleok

I use it to play music when I'm doing chores, but never while I'm playing games. The game sound track is there for a reason...

Whenever I play Rocket League which is everyday

Same here. I usually listen to the Retrowave/Synthwave playlist. Great playlist for anything with chill action like racing and of course Rocket League. Otherwise I'll listen to the Night Rider playlist or deep house type of stuff.

As an FYI for those that don't own Rocket League (how could you not, though?), there's no music during games unless you use Spotify or other external music. The soundtrack (on the menu) is pretty great though, and is also in Spotify.

Only ever used it to collect Smugglers Cache in The Witcher 3, because it was so long and monotonous.

Would never use it to take away the games original soundtrack in 99% of circumstances.

I'd use it all the time if it's a game I play with friends online like Destiny or The Division.

Hate it when companies (TECMO!) block it with their games.

How does it work?
Is it game specific, do I need to select something in a menu or does it simply play in the background when I load up a game?
it plays in the background when you load up a game. if you have the app on your phone, you can pick the song with that.
When I'm just chilling. It won't work with Toukiden 2 unfortunately.

for some games you have to turn in the in game music volume to 0 for it to work.

I use it sometimes but am unsure of how to play it in the background while I game. Do I simply play the music I want through Spotify and then load up the game?
You can start playing music before you launch the game, and it will just continue in game. Or you can launch the game first, and then start it at any time when you're already playing: just hold down the PlayStation button on the controller to bring up the Quick Menu, and the Music side menu lets you control Spotify.

You can use any of the recommended playlists, or make your own playlists. If you are going to make your own playlists, I recommend doing that from a Mac/PC, it's just way faster and easier than on other devices. The beauty of Spotify is that it's available on Mac/PC/iOS/Android/PlayStation, so you can make playlists and have them available pretty much anywhere.

In terms of the in-game music controls, you can use the Quick Menu "Music" sub menu to do all of that stuff: play, pause, skip forward/backward through tracks, set shuffle, repeat, adjust Spotify volume (independent of game volume).

Once we got the ability to customise the Quick Menu, the first thing I did was put the Music item at the top :)

Rainer70

it plays in the background when you load up a game. if you have the app on your phone, you can pick the song with that.

for some games you have to turn in the in game music volume to 0 for it to work.

Some games straight up disable the function, it's stupid. Dragon Quest Heroes is one and I stopped playing after 3-4 hours because the music was horrible and disabled custom background music (including Spotify).

Some games straight up disable the function, it's stupid. Dragon Quest Heroes is one and I stopped playing after 3-4 hours because the music was horrible and disabled custom background music (including Spotify).
how can a game disable that? yeah, that is stupid. no game should give you restrictions on how you enjoy it. same goes for how persona 5 doesn't let you share anything

I almost never use it when playing games. Only when I'm done with the story and just trophy hunting.

But sometimes I will turn my PS4 justi to use Spotify, so I still use it a lot. Best deal Sony made regarding the PS4's functionalities.

I actually have never used it except for the initial download, and this tread got me to try it out the other night when i played persona5... it was amazing. I dunno if its cause the music went well with the game but im gonna do it more now

Depends on the game, but I use it very frequently. It is definitely one of my favorite PS4 features, I wish I could use it on my Xbox as well.

Top Bottom