• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Japan Launch Livestream 2/21 - guest creator appearances confirmed

Takao

Banned
There's a fair chance that will happen. Wii U is a flop so no third party will make any Deep Downs or Tales ofs for Wii U and unless Microsoft moneyhats JRPGs again (don't think so, given how badly it ended for them on 360), the remaining smaller and some mid-sized JRPGs will go to 3DS & a few to Vita and the rest of the mid-sized and probably all/most of the bigger console level JRPGs will have to go to PS4 as it will probably be the only viable home console around.

The biggest question mark is... how long will it take for JRPG devs to move to PS4 from PS3? Japanese publishers were really late with PS3, hopefully the same won't repeat on PS4 and we'll start getting the Ar Tonelicos, Final Fantasies and Tales of games no more than 1-2 years into PS4's lifespan.

He's asking for more JRPGs, and nothing in the scenario you presented supports that happening. Under that situation, PS4 is at best (because I don't think Square Enix and SEGA are knocking on Tri-Ace's door for new console projects) just keeping what was released on PS3. PS4 might get genre consolidation, but that could be due to an overall contraction in the amount of games released.

Do you think Platinum considers Wii U a viable userbase domestically?

Platinum is heavily rumored to be working on a XB1 exclusive. Given their place in the world they probably don't have the luxury to choose which platforms they work on.

chrono01

Thanks. Is it perhaps going to be streamed via Youtube too?
I'm not entirely sure, unfortunately.

This was the only one I could find. Thankfully a NicoNico account is free, although if you're not a Premium Member [like I am] they have a tendency to "remove" you from the stream if there are a lot of viewers.

Carl

Will we get a repeat?

PDlhFTS.gif

I hope so!

Never really noticed how hard Jacky T is clapping that gif. Wow.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm not entirely sure, unfortunately.

This was the only one I could find. Thankfully a NicoNico account is free, although if you're not a Premium Member [like I am] they have a tendency to "remove" you from the stream if there are a lot of viewers.

Nothing a refresh can't cure but from what I remember the quality isn't very good either unless you are a premium member.

Probably so, but my comment was referring to MS.

I seriously doubt Platinum considers the Wii U viable in Japan although it could be argued that when the deal was signed they did.

I do not think the same could be said with Platinum and MS if such a deal existed

The 360 has yet to pass 2 million units sold in Japan after 8 years. Xbox does not sell in Japan and Platinum knew that. If they are making a game for XB1, MS wants it for the US market

I-hate-u

The Platinum/MS game is probably true seeing as how that one leaker confirmed it a while back and the recent tweets from Phil regarding TGS announcements. It probably won't matter in the grand scheme of things as Platinum titles don't sell phenomenally unless attached to big IPs.

MGS, FF15, KH3 and MH are the games MS should be after if they want to sell consoles in Japan. And I mean not just have them on their console, but lock them. Impossible task though.

Well, those are different. LO wouldn't have ever been made without MS since they funded it. As far as Tales goes, I still expect Zestiria to go the route of God Eater 2 where they'll release it on the PS3 and PS4.

Yea, I get that and I'm very glad they funded it. I'm just sad that while, yes MS involvement lead to the great Lost Odyssey, it also led to no PS3 Vesperia here and delays on other PS3 JRPGs.

Still, a new Sakaguichi JRPG would push even me to buy an X1.

The Platinum/MS game is probably true seeing as how that one leaker confirmed it a while back and the recent tweets from Phil regarding TGS announcements. It probably won't matter in the grand scheme of things as Platinum titles don't sell phenomenally unless attached to big IPs.

MGS, FF15, KH3 and MH are the games MS should be after if they want to sell consoles in Japan. And I mean not just have them on their console, but lock them. Impossible task though.

I honestly have no idea why MS would fund a Platinum game. I am happy if its true as I like to hear them get work but it seems an odd move.

I guess it's what is termed a "loss-leader" exclusive? Where MS accepts they won't make their money back most likely but it will add to the variety of their exclusive offering.

Again though no way MS wanted the Platinum game to try and break into the Japanese market. MS is done with the Japanese market

Darknight

Isnt Miyamoto and Iwata gonna attend? I think they said they always wait for Sony to say when next gen starts so they got in line to buy a PS4.

Famassu

He's asking for more JRPGs, and nothing in the scenario you presented supports that happening. Under that situation, PS4 is at best (because I don't think Square Enix and SEGA are knocking on Tri-Ace's door for new console projects) just keeping what was released on PS3. PS4 might get genre consolidation, but that could be due to an overall contraction in the amount of games released.
PS4 would get more because Xbone & Wii U would not get a single Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Symphonia 2 or anything of the sort, but every JRPG developer would opt to develop those projects for PS4. If there's just one platform that is clearly more viable than the others, like in the PS2 days, that could encourage a bit more JRPG development because there's no divide in userbase and development should be easier for some projects, doubly so because PS4 isn't as majestically shitty hardware as PS3 to develop for.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man, I remember the insane lines for the PS2 launch. I hope it's every bit as dramatic for the PS4, for nostalgia's sake.

Platinum is at the point where they will take any money they can even if their games do not sell well.

This. I wouldn't be surprised if Platinum's contracts read something along the lines of, "We forfeit all profits from the actual sales of the game in exchange for full funding to make it and a modest stipend for meeting our release targets." Probably not, of course, but I don't think they actually bank on their games to sell - they're just happy to have them fully-funded so they can get them made and not go bankrupt when they don't sell.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Apparently Hiroyuki Ito is a special guest here?

Platinum doesnt have a good future. They will die or start making mobile games soon enough.

I dont think their next game will sell very well

Takao

Banned
PS4 would get more because Xbone & Wii U would not get a single Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Symphonia 2 or anything of the sort, but every JRPG developer would opt to develop those projects for PS4. If there's just one platform that is clearly more viable than the others, like in the PS2 days, that could encourage a bit more JRPG development because there's no divide in userbase and development should be easier for some projects, doubly so because PS4 isn't as majestically shitty hardware as PS3 to develop for.

Outside of Infinite Undiscovery (which I already covered in that Tri-Ace comment), the games listed saw a release on PS3. The kind of companies that made exclusive JRPGs on WIi/360 either no longer exist, are tied to a hardware manufacturer, or will likely focus on handheld/mobile development over the home console space.

Platinum doesnt have a good future. They will die or start making mobile games soon enough.

I dont their next game will sell very well

If you mean Bayonetta 2 on Wii U, that's pretty much guaranteed because of the Wii U's fate

If you mean the game after that well that might be the XB1 exclusive and it could do okay although probably unlikely

Top Bottom