• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Japan Launch Livestream 2/21 - guest creator appearances confirmed

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
500k - HOLY F**K
400k - outstanding
350k - good
300k - average
250k - mediocre
200k - bad
150k - extremely worrying
<150k - RIP

300k for just two days, with a shipment of 350k, is just average? :\
Ok, PS4 is "set" to be a beast among home consoles in Japan, but I think that for just 2 days it could be great to sell 300k, not average...

Zok310

Banned
500k - HOLY F**K
400k - outstanding
350k - good
300k - average
250k - mediocre
200k - bad
<150k - RIP

We need shipment figures before we can grade. If they sold out even if the only shipped 200k then they hit their target and the launch should be considered a success.
If they shipped 500k and only sold 150k then they have an issue, a major issue.

Namikaze

I need to see the monthly sales going forward before jumping to the conclusion that mobile is taking over, next gen is cancelled, ios getting all the Japanese support in the future. Should be exciting to get some numbers soon.

Jigorath

Banned
I need to see the monthly sales going forward before jumping to the conclusion that mobile is taking over, next gen is cancelled, ios getting all the Japanese support in the future. Should be exciting to get some numbers soon.

Too much logic in this post. It needs more doom and gloom.

AllenShrz

Just picked up mine at the Bic Camera Shinjuku.

Mine was preordered but other people where just walking in and buying it with no problems of shortages.

And it was made in China, not in Japan, kind of a bummer :(

PS4 Finally Selling Out at Japan’s Major Retailers, Second Shipment Already Coming Tomorrow

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...lers-second-shipment-already-coming-tomorrow/

SD_200000015000048481510B1.jpg

Tratorn

I'll be disappointed if it's below 500k, satisfied if it's well over that, and amazed if it gets near 1m.

Lol, start getting disappointed then. ;)
They shipped max. 350k and you can find it easily in many stores.
And 500k without holiday boost and this lineup would be massive.

Sid

500k - HOLY F**K
400k - outstanding
350k - good
300k - average
250k - mediocre
200k - bad
<150k - RIP
IMO it's more like this:-
500k - HOLY F**K
400k - outstanding
350k - very good
300k - good
250k - average
200k - bad
<150k - RIP

I finally got and setup my JP launch PS4! It is heavier than I expected. And the vertical stand is kind of wobbly :(

But otherwise, it is a thing of beauty

It's from Chris1964 OP of media create. He's the one usually giving the shipments numbers of hardware/software in Japanese sales thread. That's why a lot of people were saying 350k shipments.

Is he mod approved like the spoiler guys? Or does he just have a long history of posting correct data?

noobie

Banned
It's from Chris1964 OP of media create. He's the one usually giving the shipments numbers of hardware/software in Japanese sales thread. That's why a lot of people were saying 350k shipments.

But where is he now to give us the numbers.?
Where are Famitsu and MediaCreate guys.. they slept through the whole day. :)

UberTag

Why can't we just be patient and wait until Wednesday like usual?

If Sony had something to crow about, they're release a press release beforehand.
As that hasn't happened, waiting until Wednesday doesn't seem so bad.

Lexxism

Because there's no data yet? This is what he said from the other thread.

350K initial shipment is not a speculation from me. It's the number given from the guy that is a Famitsu or Media Create subscriber and gives first day sellthrough info.

Hopefully we will get the numbers by the end of this day. The suspense is killing me :)

FiggyCal

Banned
500k - HOLY F**K
400k - outstanding
350k - good
300k - average
250k - mediocre
200k - bad
<150k - RIP

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)
2014.02.22 [Sony PlayStation 4] (¥41.979 / ¥46.179)- xxx.xxx (2 days)

These numbers are all over the place, but 300k is still very good. 130k-100k is mediocre and anything below it is bad.

Skeff

Because there's no data yet? This is what he said from the other thread.

Hopefully we will get the numbers by the end of this day. The suspense is killing me :)

The Japanese day is already over now, Probably won't get anything in the next 10 hours until people start going to work and we may get an early morning press release.

ethomaz

Banned
The Japanese day is already over now, Probably won't get anything in the next 10 hours until people start going to work and we may get an early morning press release.
I agree.... today we won't have numbers... tomorrow or Wednesday with MC/Famitsu.

Bundy

Banned
300k for just two days, with a shipment of 350k, is just average? :\
Ok, PS4 is "set" to be a beast among home consoles in Japan, but I think that for just 2 days it could be great to sell 300k, not average...
2 days?
I thought it launched on saturday. So just for one day?
Were it two days? Help!

If the number is bad, SCEJA is forced to show their new game. PS4 heaven event likely

Except that Sony doesn't really own any IPs that can wow the Japanese audience, unfortunately. They have no Monster Hunter, FF, DQ or Pokemon equivalents in their bank, not even close.

And even if their new IP has the potential to be Japan's next-big-thing... franchises in Japan take a while to become big. One game will not do anything, it'll take multiple iterations of a successful formula to be that hit.

Except that Sony doesn't really own any IPs that can wow the Japanese audience, unfortunately. They have no Monster Hunter, FF, DQ or Pokemon equivalents in their bank, not even close.

And even if their new IP has the potential to be Japan's next-big-thing... franchises in Japan take a while to become big. One game will not do anything, it'll take multiple iterations of a successful formula to be that hit.
That's what games like FFXV and Kingdom Hearts are for.

FiggyCal

Banned

Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy are third party titles that have and will make future iterations on PlayStation. I'm not sure what you mean that they don't have those equivalents considering they already have the originals. And they also have a ton of exclusives because Japanese publishers have no other platform to develop those games for.

Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy are third party titles that have and will make future iterations on PlayStation. I'm not sure what you mean that they don't have those equivalents considering they already have the originals. And they also have a ton of exclusives because Japanese publishers have no other platform to develop those games for.

Kenji said SCEJA needs to show something, which I took as it referring to Japan Studio unveiling their first-party title.

ethomaz

Banned
More 4 hours and the market opens in Japan again (25th)... I'm feeling we will have some preview of the numbers today (25th in Japan).

Top Bottom