• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PC/Mac Remote Play client available now

Kysen

I've installed the app but It doesn't look like a DS4 driver was installed. So i'm guessing that it only works on the app.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yup, it works. :)
2016-04-0610_59_59-ps1opzb.jpg

There are keyboard controls also. Arrow keys, Enter [X] and Escape [/\] work in main console screen, I did not look for other buttons or try it ingame.

Fliesen

i bought my vita almost exclusively for in-home-remote play (and playing luftrausers on long plane flights, #no_ragrets), but i can't wait to be using a controller with PROPER analog sticks.

So this feature is, ideally, for people away from home? Or just when your main screen isn't available? Somehow I still don't really see the application if not for those.

mrobbo

Neo Member
Well done Sony. This is awesome. Just had a quick ten minute Dark Souls 2 session whilst the daughter watched tv. No issues so far so i'm more than impressed.

Baleoce

Installing it now, but just wondering. Does it have an optimized setup to take advantage of ethernet cables? Both my PS4 and PC are cabled. I'm basically wanting to use this as a means of dumping footage onto the PC without requiring a capture card.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
A bit of an odd question, I do not have a spare PS4 controller at work but I have plenty Xbox controllers, anyone know if they work? I doubt it :(

DS4 only and only via USB.

I have audio piped through my Mac because I'm partially deaf I use headphones to hear the TV so I don't have to keep switching headphones between TV and PC.

With the remote app open I can hear double the sound if my TV is on and there is a little bit of latency but it is very small. Not tried any games yet.

Fliesen

So this feature is, ideally, for people away from home? Or just when your main screen isn't available? Somehow I still don't really see the application if not for those.

yes, this feature is for playing on your PS4 when you don't want to hog (due to sharing a household with somebody and being a considerate person) or simply do not have physical access (due to being at work, in bed, on the toilet) the TV your PS4 is hooked up to.

off-TV play is the WiiU's single greatest feature.

Vuze

A bit of an odd question, I do not have a spare PS4 controller at work but I have plenty Xbox controllers, anyone know if they work? I doubt it :(
Yeah, I hope somebody mods in XInput controller support, this would be rad.

Think I might have it working on Windows 7, this is how:

- Copy RemotePlayInstaller.exe to C:\Temp\RemotePlay
- Run CMD (command prompt)
- Enter the following
C:\Temp\RemotePlay\remoteplayinstaller.exe /extract

Now look in the RemotePlay folder and run RemotePlay.exe, it will be in a subfolder (mine was called E424768 but it may be different for you.

It goes through the connect process but I get Connection Lost at the end but I think this might be our corporate firewall blocking it. Also, I have the latest beta update on my PS4.

Let me know if anyone gets it to work.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wonder if this app is enough for me to get my Persona 5 on when i'm in Boston for three months early next year. Sure the'll be lag, but my PS4 is hardwired to a fiber connection and it's not like Persona 5 is a twitch based game anyway.

Cautiously excited. I'm updating my PS4 right now.

Has anyone been able to download firmware 3.50 on their PS4?

Yup, almost done.

Kazdane

It can also be useful if you use your PC frequently (like in my case). I play my PS4 in my computer monitor and use an HDMI switch to jump from PS4 to computer. For the most part, that's fine, except if I'm using Skype or I want to watch something on my computer/listen to the radio while I'm playing, as I can't get sound from both devices at the same time. In that scenario, for instance, Remote Play can be quite useful.

If you do have a main screen which is not shared by another device, then you don't definitely need it.

Nuszka

Macbook late 2010 model with intel core2 duo 2 ghz , works great with 720 60 fps option , around 3 frames delay, its weird this app doesn't use a direct connection only internet.

It can also be useful if you use your PC frequently (like in my case). I play my PS4 in my computer monitor and use an HDMI switch to jump from PS4 to computer. For the most part, that's fine, except if I'm using Skype or I want to watch something on my computer/listen to the radio while I'm playing, as I can't get sound from both devices at the same time. In that scenario, for instance, Remote Play can be quite useful.

If you do have a main screen which is not shared by another device, then you don't definitely need it.

Great example there, I think I'll do the same with listening to other things while gaming. Cheers :)

goonergaz

Think I might have it working on Windows 7, this is how:

- Copy RemotePlayInstaller.exe to C:\Temp\RemotePlay
- Run CMD (command prompt)
- Enter the following
C:\Temp\RemotePlay\remoteplayinstaller.exe /extract

Now look in the RemotePlay folder and run RemotePlay.exe, it will be in a subfolder (mine was called E424768 but it may be different for you.

It goes through the connect process but I get Connection Lost at the end but I think this might be our corporate firewall blocking it. Also, I have the latest beta update on my PS4.

Let me know if anyone gets it to work.

looks interesting, thanks for the info...can't try it myself until the weekend

Dio

Banned

360p @ 'standard' frame rate is the best I can get.

It's not like I have a HORRIBLE connection. Is it because I'm running remote play through my wireless connection from my PS4 to my wireless connection to my laptop?

Will it work on my shitty little tablet laptop... Probably not, but worth a try anyway. Don't understand how people say they play through entire PS4 games on their Vita, such an awful experience whenever I've tried it.

It's not like I have a HORRIBLE connection. Is it because I'm running remote play through my wireless connection from my PS4 to my wireless connection to my laptop?

Yes. The PS4's Wifi is terrible. Plug in your PS4 and try again, most laptop wifis shouldn't be as bad as the PS4's

Anyone who is finding its not connecting either automatically or manually restart your ps4. It seemed to do the trick for me, might be something to do with me having it in rest mode just before.

360p @ 'standard' frame rate is the best I can get.

Where can you change these settings?

Yes. The PS4's Wifi is terrible. Plug in your PS4 and try again, most laptop wifis shouldn't be as bad as the PS4's

It is, can't believe how bad it is and no 5G support.

For Android phones/tablets it's still Xperia-only I assume? :/

You can do it on other phones. I was playing Trackmania on my S6 a week ago. No controller support unless rooted though. Just Google it and you'll find the unofficial workaround.

Sickbean

Will try this when I get home but is my 2014 MBPr likely to have good enough WiFi to not bother worth a Thunderbolt to Ethernet cable? My PS4 is wired in.

Edit - I've got a 5GHz router

Top Bottom