• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PC/Mac Remote Play client available now

Mung

Will it work on my shitty little tablet laptop... Probably not, but worth a try anyway. Don't understand how people say they play through entire PS4 games on their Vita, such an awful experience whenever I've tried it.

I've had great experiences on Vita. Even won an online game in Destiny! Got it to work well from 200 miles away too.

mephixto

Banned
Just tried at max settings (my net is all wired) works great, blurry but serviceable. I haven't noticed any input lag.

Gonna use it mostly if I want to watch something on my tv while playing the game on my PC.

Good job sony

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's not like I have a HORRIBLE connection. Is it because I'm running remote play through my wireless connection from my PS4 to my wireless connection to my laptop?

Actually that is a horrible connection.

DieH@rd

Banned
Works great on Mac - used a certain game to test out the input lag (haha)

gqbFffj.png

181c3dd532c320245ba983019b12d831.360x270x36.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm trying this feature on a PS4 that's literally 3 feet away from my laptop, and it's fucking up because the PS4 is still registering the inputs from the controller wirelessly instead of the OSX app just using the wired inputs. So as soon as i'm starting to navigate the UI it thinks there's a second controller connected and soon thereafter it just thinks i'm playing locally and the connection breaks up.

Anyone else have a fix for this? What am I doing wrong? How can I stop my DS4 from wirelessly communicating with the PS4?

DieH@rd

Banned
So does it not work via bluetooth on OSX? Seems odd that I'll have to plug in my DS4 when I wanna use this.

They probably don't want to bother with supporting/testing hundreds of BTdongles. They started with USB connection, maybe they will extend support to BT later down the line.

i bought my vita almost exclusively for in-home-remote play (and playing luftrausers on long plane flights, #no_ragrets), but i can't wait to be using a controller with PROPER analog sticks.

Yup pretty much same for my wife and I, if this works out good on our surfaces the Vitas are going to be vendor trash lol

Lingitiz

I'm trying this feature on a PS4 that's literally 3 feet away from my laptop, and it's fucking up because the PS4 is still registering the inputs from the controller wirelessly instead of the OSX app just using the wired inputs. So as soon as i'm starting to navigate the UI it thinks there's a second controller connected and soon thereafter it just thinks i'm playing locally and the connection breaks up.

Anyone else have a fix for this? What am I doing wrong? How can I stop my DS4 from wirelessly communicating with the PS4?

Having the same issue...

DieH@rd

Banned

I never had that issue.

Try to wake up PS4 from standby mode [enable waking up option for RP]. DS4 turns off when you press PS button for 10 secs.

Is there any benefit to using 60fps mode when playing 30fps games? (Input lag maybe?)
60fps is a must. It really reduces lag for all games.

Baleoce

Does this support 1080p60fps if both the PC and PS4 are wired? I want to be able to basically play as normal on my PS4, but also be able to dump high quality footage on the PC through shadow play.

DieH@rd

Banned
Does this support 1080p60fps if both the PC and PS4 are wired? I want to be able to basically play as normal on my PS4, but also be able to dump high quality footage on the PC through shadow play.

PS4 encoding module is limited at 720p60@10mbit. It can physically go up to 1080p60@50mbit, but Sony limited it so that it would not strain console resources.

You want to re-record Remote Play stream on PC? :D That's not going to give you really high quality footage. If you want perfect quality, you need something like Elgato.

crimilde

Banned

Maybe you can try turning off the controller from the PS4 menu?

Resident Evil 6 has a stable framerate and minimal input lag at 720p/60 to my 2015 13-inch rMBP, but I'm getting some pretty bad audio stuttering. Anyone else experiencing a similar situation? My PS4 is hardwired, laptop connecting via WiFi.

only one issue, for some reasons "Preferences" is not available on my Mac

Preferences can be selected before you start the remote play.

Trying it on my 2010 Macbook Pro. PS4 is on ethernet; laptop is on wi-fi...
I'm not overly impressed. Set to 720/60, it looks awful (comparable to a Twitch stream on medium quality, I'd say), very choppy, noticeable input lag. Connection dropped four times in about as many minutes. Doesn't seem to be using too much of the CPU (10-50%, usually around 20%) and hardly any RAM (less than 90 MB), though.

I'd been expecting this to use the local network, but from the performance, it must be sending the stream across the web.

I only have a Start button on that pop up.

I'm on a Mac.....

When you're on the screen with the start button, press command + comma

I'm not overly impressed. Looks awful (comparable to a Twitch stream on medium quality, I'd say), very choppy, noticeable input lag. Connection dropped four times in about as many minutes. Doesn't seem to be using too much of the CPU (about 30%) and hardly any RAM (less than 90 MB), though.

I'd been expecting this to use the local network, but from the performance, it must be sending the stream across the web.

Make sure your preferences are set to 720p/60.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I never had that issue.

Try to wake up PS4 from standby mode [enable waking up option for RP]. DS4 turns off when you press PS button for 10 secs.

I did. But once the physical PS4 notices the inputs from the DS4 even while USB connected, it sends control over wireless to the PS4 and the remote-play connection ends.

It thinks I have two controllers connected or something. It basically renders the app useless because the connection is terminated once the controls switch.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm not overly impressed. Looks awful (comparable to a Twitch stream on medium quality, I'd say), very choppy, noticeable input lag. Connection dropped four times in about as many minutes. Doesn't seem to be using too much of the CPU (about 30%) and hardly any RAM (less than 90 MB), though.

When you're on the screen with the start button, press command + comma

Try "direct connection" in PS4 RP setting. That will try to connect Laptop and PS4 directly, without using router.

Word of notice, it is HIGHLY reccomended that PS4 is connected to internet via LAN cable. If PS4 has to share its WiFi module for both internet and RP, things get bad.

If you HAVE to connect PS4 to net via WiFi, just try a test. Turn off PS4 internet connection, and then try PS4>Laptop via direct connection. See if that makes things better. Also, your macbook is maybe below min sys req, check that also.

Okay, so how do I check out my laptop specs? I am wondering if I can get this running on my work computer for cheeky sessions when I'm in the office alone. Unless it needs to be on the same wifi network as the PS4 is? I assume not, as that's not necessary for Remote Play on the Vita.

Shari

Sony offers the same solution an independent developper did months ago. Not even 1080p when both ends are wired.

Dissapointing.

They probably don't want to bother with supporting/testing hundreds of BTdongles. They started with USB connection, maybe they will extend support to BT later down the line.
Yes. But the ds4 already works via Bt on OS X, seems odd that they'd force sub connection just for this app

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony offers the same solution an independent developper did months ago. Not even 1080p when both ends are wired.

Dissapointing.

Both RP apps take the feed that was made by encoding module inside PS4 APU. Sony limited it to 720p60.
Yes. But the ds4 already works via Bt on OS X, seems odd that they'd force sub connection just for this app
As a generic gamepad yes. This driver that Sony uses in RP app also makes touchpad/sensors functional.

Fliesen

i think they want to, for now, keep users from pairing / re-pairing / unpairing their DS4 from their PS4.

If you plug it in via USB, there's no pairing needed and your console won't know it was 'gone'.

joesploggs2

Neo Member
Very impressed - running at 720p high frame rate via wireless on my laptop (PS4 is wired).
Had a quick blast on Gravity Rush and it was very responsive. I have a Vita and PSTV but definitely prefer this for ease of use/setup.

Jas

Think I might have it working on Windows 7, this is how:

- Copy RemotePlayInstaller.exe to C:\Temp\RemotePlay
- Run CMD (command prompt)
- Enter the following
C:\Temp\RemotePlay\remoteplayinstaller.exe /extract

Now look in the RemotePlay folder and run RemotePlay.exe, it will be in a subfolder (mine was called E424768 but it may be different for you.

It goes through the connect process but I get Connection Lost at the end but I think this might be our corporate firewall blocking it. Also, I have the latest beta update on my PS4.

Let me know if anyone gets it to work.

Getting the same thing and I'm not behind a firewall.

It connects to the PS4 (get a notification on the PS4 that I connected to it) but when the share, playstation button, and options buttons pop up on screen on my PC it loses connection.

JillSandwich

Neo Member
Just a heads up for anyone that is worried if their computer is up to the task of remote play at 720P 60, ive been testing the windows version on a laptop with an i5 540m, which is below the listed specs.

Even when i lock the app to only run on a single core i get very stable performance. The lowest framerate i saw while using fraps was 48fps while very quickly switching between several games and apps, otherwise there was very little noticeable stutter

I cant vouch for how it performs in every game, but the specs listed are definitely very conservative...

if you're on the fence it wouldn't hurt to try it at the very least

Hoo-doo

Banned

Anyone? It's driving me up the fucking wall here.

I connect to my PS4 through Remote Play, it shows my dash and proceeds to show me the switch user menu saying 'a wireless controller was detected', and once I click my own PSN ID the controller switches to the PS4 wirelessly and the connection is terminated.

Top Bottom