• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Sadly though it does seem that they have a good deal of problems and delays. That makes me nervous.

The only problem they had was Bulldozer with inmature 32nm process. That issue is long gone, Trinity APU/Vishera(based on Piledriver) won't face yield/powerconsumption problems.

Right now Trinity for notebooks brings better powerefficiency than Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge.

28nm is just a half-node(a highly optimized 32nm process).

Glorified G
No, they're are saying that is the same gpu you find on a desktop 7970 wich is false

HD7970 2048SP / 3.78Tflops.

The answer is already on the OP or my post above, gpu with 1152SP

HD7850 1024SP / 1152SP PS4 APU gpu / HD7870 1280SP

KageMaru

I would love it, but a 7970 isn't going to happen. The cost would be insane.

it will have a maximum output of 1080 and not the aforementioned 2048p.

I'm sure Jeff Rigby shed a few tears reading this part. =p

RAM is pretty cheap, even GDDR5. However, with current tech, you would need 16 chips for 4GB, which increases board complexity. On the other hand, since the consoles are expected to be out in late 2013, 4 GB should be doable by then with 8 chips.

I thought the schedule for GDDR5 density was still kind of up in the air. Would be surprised, and happy, if we can get 4GB of GDDR5 with 8 chips next year.

Karak

The only problem they had was Bulldozer with inmature 32nm process. That issue is long gone, Trinity APU/Vishera(based on Piledriver) won't face yield/powerconsumption problems.

Oh thanks. There were some articles in the hardware news today that hinted at more delays from AMD. Thats good news.

StevieP

Banned
Good on bg for correcting the article.

Wrong GPU (Pitcairn "lite" would be more appropriate, not 7970 lol - 7790 if you want a model number to judge by) but otherwise they nailed it.
The reason 2GB is mentioned is because it is of a pool of faster, unified memory rather than the other way of doing it to get a bigger number (i.e. MS console).

MercuryLS

Banned
As long as Sony makes a machine that is on par with Xbox and is easy to dev for with good dev tools, I will be happy. I want to at least see multi-plat games be at parity next-gen.

i-Lo

If the release is still over a year away, why can't Sony put in the next iteration of Pitcairn equivalent and yield greater performance per watt? Or is this spec set in stone (beside RAM)?

USC-fan

Banned
I should have blamed it on the Google translation. But the GPU is in the APU/SoC.

Then these numbers just be wrong. Going by amd research.

"Testing performed by AMD Performance Labs. Calculated compute performance or Theoretical Maximum GFLOPS score for

2013 Kaveri (4C, 8CU) 100w APU, use

standard formula of (CPU Cores xfreq x 8 FLOPS) + (GPU Cores x freq x 2 FLOPS). The calculated GFLOPS for the 2013 Kaveri

(4C, 8CU) 100w APUwas 1050.

GFLOPs scores for 2011 A-Series “Llano” was 580 and the 2013 A-Series “Trinity” was 819. Scores rounded to the nearest

whole number."

Seeing the big thing in kaveri is HSA. Stupid move if the don't match this apu with a gpu.

what about the FPGA & other stuff that have been talked about was any of that in the info that you have?

That didn't seem to be mentioned in the target specs. It's probably one of those things devs gain access to later if Sony follows through with including the extras. Though I would expect them to.

If the release is still over a year away, why can't Sony put in the next iteration of Pitcairn equivalent and yield greater performance per watt? Or is this spec set in stone (beside RAM)?

These are the early target specs so I wouldn't say they are set in stone. More recently someone was saying they changed from Steamroller cores to Jaguar cores.

Then these numbers just be wrong. Going by amd research.

"Testing performed by AMD Performance Labs. Calculated compute performance or Theoretical Maximum GFLOPS score for

2013 Kaveri (4C, 8CU) 100w APU, use

standard formula of (CPU Cores xfreq x 8 FLOPS) + (GPU Cores x freq x 2 FLOPS). The calculated GFLOPS for the 2013 Kaveri

(4C, 8CU) 100w APUwas 1050.

GFLOPs scores for 2011 A-Series “Llano” was 580 and the 2013 A-Series “Trinity” was 819. Scores rounded to the nearest

whole number."

Seeing the big thing in kaveri is HSA. Stupid move if the don't match this apu with a gpu.

Console customizations reduce the importance of something like this. It's a custom APU.

i-Lo

One thing I do have to commend Sony if true: Finally! all the RAM can be dedicated to game development and the OS can sit on a separate memory cache. I remember asking whether it was a possibility and I was told it was an unrealistic and perhaps very expensive proposition. Looks like not all that is heard by some through the great vine come true.

onQ123

Wrong GPU (Pitcairn "lite" would be more appropriate, not 7970 lol) but otherwise they nailed it.

but what if the info you & BG have is before the change that delayed the PS4 to 2014?

they have info from the end of 2011 up to recently so things could have changed.

& how true is the 16GB of flash?

Pistolero

Allow me to pose my question again, gaf :

Are the components already set in stones for both next-gen console, or is there still a chance for either of them to modify its design? I am not talking of frequency bumps or RAM increase, but rather a change of heart regarding the GPU for exemple?

StevieP

Banned
Microsoft is considering 2GB as well, developers like Epic and Crytek are trying to convince them to up the quantity to 4GB.

Consider them doubly more than convinced lol

how true is the 16GB of flash?

No idea. Somebody at Sony must really hate platter-based hard drives?

Pistolero said:
Are the components already set in stones for both next-gen console, or is there still a chance for either of them to modify its design? I am not talking of frequency bumps or RAM increase, but rather a change of heart regarding the GPU for exemple?

Well, these are the (much like the recent Wii U leak) early target specs. Thing is, once the kits are out there it's a very difficult proposition. And the kits are out there. You're better off asking a dev who's currently doing next gen titles whether there have been any drastic changes. I doubt there is anything large, though. Something like ram and clock frequencies of the base hardware could be in flux up until "crunch time", but the fact that there was that recent "more than 2GB" twitter campaign from devs I'd say nobody's convinced Sony yet.

What devs are expecting out of GDDR5 just isn't feasible at the moment.

Allow me to pose my question again, gaf :

See my post above.

Pistolero

So it's 2 GB for Sony vs 8 GB for Microsoft...WOW! That is a huge difference! I wonder how that will translate into ports and multi games...

Just read your post, bgassassin...it's clearer.

StevieP

Banned
Not all memory types are equal, right?
There were devs commenting on slower memory inside the Wii U for instance, even though they upped the quantity.

herod

FPGA can only be written to a limited number of times. It looks a lot more like a patch-able hardware DRM solution than anything to do with game processing. Occam's razor and all that.

StevieP

Banned
FPGA can only be written to a limited number of times. It looks a lot more like a patch-able hardware DRM solution than anything to do with game processing. Occam's razor and all that.

Well, the anti-used/Steam-like game locking is certainly in the cards

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well, the anti-used/Steam-like game locking is certainly in the cards

Only if Nintendo does it first. Otherwise it's suicide.

StevieP

Banned
Only if Nintendo does it first. Otherwise it's suicide.

Nintendo (yes, "what's online?" Nintendo) will have an NFC reader built into the controller and will offer *all* retail games day-and-date on their digital download service. What do you think that means if you step back and think about it?

BlackJace

Nintendo (yes, "what's online?" Nintendo) will have an NFC reader built into the controller and will offer *all* retail games day-and-date on their digital download service. What do you think that means if you step back and think about it?

I'm stumped. Do tell :p

StevieP

Banned
I'm stumped. Do tell :p

Keep in mind that for this particular point this is only my personal speculation, but:

If bass-ackwards online Nintendo will have all games available day-and-date on their digital download service it tells me that there is an infrastructure being put in place that allows retail titles to be registered to the console account, be it via download or retail purchase. Retailers are also allowed to sell download codes (in place of discs) to you at a cost of their choosing, and this download code I'm sure will be similar in the sense that it will lock the content to your account. You know - the same way Steam/Origin/etc work.

Lastly, each disc could have a tiny translucent NFC tag on it for easy registration. They cost in the pennies and would make registering your game MUCH easier than creating accounts and entering keycodes. Right?
I'd say that there's an industry-wide push into this direction, and if I were to speculate some more I would expect it to happen during the 8th gen.

BlackJace

Keep in mind that for this particular point this is only my personal speculation, but:

If bass-ackwards online Nintendo will have all games available day-and-date on their digital download service it tells me that there is an infrastructure being put in place that allows retail titles to be registered to the console account, be it via download or retail purchase. Retailers are also allowed to sell download codes (in place of discs) to you at a cost of their choosing, and this download code I'm sure will be similar in the sense that it will lock the content to your account. You know - the same way Steam/Origin/etc work.

Lastly, each disc could have a tiny translucent NFC tag on it for easy registration. They cost in the pennies and would make registering your game MUCH easier than creating accounts and entering keycodes. Right?
I'd say that there's an industry-wide push into this direction, and if I were to speculate some more I would expect it to happen during the 8th gen.

Hmm. I didn't think they would use the NFC for microtransactions like that. Seems convoluted. Interesting speculation :)

Chris_C

Folks need to relax a bit with specs. I mean the PS3 is built on 6-7 year old tech and it can still give us humans like those in Beyond, above the quality of anything else we've seen, even in the high-end PC space (I'm not stating that a game developed exclusively for high-end PC's could produce better looking humans).

USC-fan

Banned
Console customizations reduce the importance of something like this. It's a custom APU.

Sure it custom but to match these specs it would have to have 18 cu which is just crazy in a soc. Everything I have read has said apu plus gpu which makes perfect sense with hsa.

With just an apu this system would be super cheap.

onQ123

this would also be a good reason for Sony & MS to want to have their cameras as pack-ins with the new consoles. or at least have NFC readers on the controllers.

also is the Liverpool code-name something that's new to you? just wondering how real the rest of this info is.

kevm3

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft and Sony will release systems that are only marginally more or less powerful than each other in different ways.

Folks need to relax a bit with specs. I mean the PS3 is built on 6-7 year old tech and it can still give us humans like those in Beyond, above the quality of anything else we've seen, even in the high-end PC space (I'm not stating that a game developed exclusively for high-end PC's could produce better looking humans).

This is the only stance I've ever taken on any of it. Part of the reason I'm not harsh on the WiiU in a technical sense. I think that is enough power to represent just about any vision.

The most exciting thing I've seen about more power is really on the development side. The push for purely real-time lighting. Instead of the long standard of pre-baking lightmaps.

Though I'm sure they'll find some convoluted way to push further that costs $. So it will probably be a wash.

Wrong GPU (Pitcairn "lite" would be more appropriate, not 7970 lol - 7790 if you want a model number to judge by) but otherwise they nailed it.
The reason 2GB is mentioned is because it is of a pool of faster, unified memory rather than the other way of doing it to get a bigger number (i.e. MS console).

Multiplat title like Madden. What advantage would having 4GB of slower ram make opposed to having 2GB of faster RAM?

I want visually impressive graphics. Does faster ram ensure that?

I just hope more Ram gets us out of the moribund tunnel-shooter rut. Realistic faces are not gameplay.

Agreed.

i-Lo

Multiplat title like Madden. What advantage would having 4GB of slower ram make opposed to having 2GB of faster RAM?

This. There has been lot beating around the bush with this. I want to know which would be more favourable when choosing between 4GB GDDR3 and 2GB GDDR5.

Of course, if the devs are complaining about 2GB GDDR5 now, it would mean they want more. Will GDDR3 satiate that condition?

StevieP

Banned
I just hope more Ram gets us out of the moribund tunnel-shooter rut. Realistic faces are not gameplay.

That's less on ram, more on publisher risk aversion. That won't get any better with costs going up.

Agreed.

Different approaches, but slower ram can lead to system bottlenecks ... That's why edram is in the Wii u for instance.

This. There has been lot beating around the bush with this. I want to know which would be more favourable when choosing between 4GB GDDR3 and 2GB GDDR5.

Of course, if the devs are complaining about 2GB GDDR5 now, it would mean they want more. Will GDDR3 satiate that condition?

No. Lol. Gddr3 is on the way out now though. Ddr3 is in

More TF than 7850, less than 7870. Not exactly 'lite'.

clocked lower than both

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is in line with info that was floating around earlier in the year, but with some more specifics. Specifically the gpu clock speed, the manufacturing process and the fact it's a single die config.

The gpu thing is confusing people, though, I think based on a wonky translation. It is a Tahiti based gpu, same architecture as the 7970 (i.e carries some of its architectural improvements in tesselation etc. iirc?) but closer to a Pitcairn configuration. Simple as that.

Now I'm not saying I know the info is correct, but it is on the button with things that were being said a few months ago. And it seems believable/realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom