• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 slim leaked?

This is possible. The Cell was new and only used on the PS3 so it was harder to make cheaper and smaller. The PS4 has off the shelf tech. This is most probably fake, but Sony will try to make the hardware cheap as soon as possible. Expect an announcement by E3. When they introduce a cheaper PS4 they will drop the price. They might even introduce a premium PS4 with the same form factor.

Till then they will try to ride on the 400$ price tag along with unofficial 350$ price tags.

How hilarious would it be if out of nowhere this ended up being legit.

Like here we all are at GAF making fun of this and its like a legit ass leak.

Its still fake though

20cent

Banned
Not this soon.

Shocking news: they start to develop a slim version more than 2 weeks before releasing it. Even if these pictures are real, they are just mock-up illustrating what they plan to do at the moment they produced the documents.

McHuj

Every tech company that I have worked had some sort of variant of "confidential proprietary " on all docs and power points.

Dang it, things like this get get me scared. I'm about to buy a PS4, and if a slim version was announced, like, a week after I bought one I'd be pissed.

def sim

How hilarious would it be if out of nowhere this ended up being legit.

Like here we all are at GAF making fun of this and its like a legit ass leak.

Its still fake though

It would be a great thing and I would be very impressed if they can pull it off. What they have to do to get the PS4 hardware to that size and still keep the price the same or lower would be an absolute feat.

Donrule01

Banned
Way to small to have a proper power supply and cooling. Even if they reduce the chip size it still needs a a good power supply and it would still put off some decent watts under load.

Now if they move the power supply to an external brick then I can see it being shrunk and still having a good heatsink and fan footprint.

isn't that what happened with the first PS3 revision?

gaming_ps3_super_slim_hands_on_5.jpg

still looks lake a fake console

Also just out of curiosity, lets say this thing was announced this year. Has there ever been a Slim console launched within 2 years of the OG model? Seems really quick no?

That's pretty slick, kind of looks like an external drive for a PC or something, wonder if they will drop the price or just rid out the profits of cutting the cost?

McHuj

This could be a legit prototype/mockup. I doubt it's hitting any time soon as process tech isn't mature enough for a APU shrink yet.

But my guess is that they are planning what the reduced power draw is and what kind of form factor can accommodate that, even if it won't show up for another year or two in the market.

When it does hot, I hope it comes with better WIFI.

This is possible. The Cell was new and only used on the PS3 so it was harder to make cheaper and smaller. The PS4 has off the shelf tech. This is most probably fake, but Sony will try to make the hardware cheap as soon as possible. Expect an announcement by E3. When they introduce a cheaper PS4 they will drop the price. They might even introduce a premium PS4 with the same form factor.

Till then they will try to ride on the 400$ price tag along with unofficial 350$ price tags.

Die shrinks during the PS4 lifetime will be a problem as AMD doesn't have the best track record when it comes to them.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Every tech company that I have worked had some sort of variant of "confidential proprietary " on all docs and power points.
Yep, back when I worked at Nokia, every employee had to learn the security policy, and one of things mentioned there was that all confidential documents have to have a statement of which confidentiality level applies to the document. The levels could be, for example, "Company Confidential", "Confidential" or "Secret".

It is actually quite important to have this marking on the papers, because it tells you what you are allowed to do with the document: who you can give it to, are you allowed to give it electronically or only as hard copies, are you allowed to make further copies and how you have to store the documents.

It's funny how some people fail to grasp that this is in fact the case.

Dang it, things like this get get me scared. I'm about to buy a PS4, and if a slim version was announced, like, a week after I bought one I'd be pissed.
This is also the primary reason I believe for so many to immediately say that this design is ugly, people trying to reaffirm themselves that their original ps4 is better. It always sucks when a new version of hardware you just bought is suddenly announced, and it's always hilarious to see owners of the previous hardware versions to claim that the newer version is ugly when it obviously isn't. Of course it's all opinion and subjective but when the newer version is basically nothing but a smaller and sleeker version of the original it's funny for people to claim it being ugly. Though of course this isn't always true, ps3 slim is undeniably better than the super slim in pretty much every way imo and in that case those people would actually be correct.

Donrule01

Banned
why does Sony opt for internal PS when MS and Nintendo go external?

SONY has always been like that. They have never liked bricks with their consoles. Perhaps it roots itself from Japan and they don't like unsightly bricks or its done like that to save on room around the console. SONY seems to be able to make small elegant power supplies internal for most of their other gear also. Power bricks only seem acceptable to them when they have shrunk down the console to the smallest possible footprint.

Rafterman

Banned

The problem with this idea is that Sony doesn't make the parts and the AMD chip in the PS4 is not only not "off the shelf" but it isn't getting any smaller any time soon. Even the AMD chips being released in the middle to later part of this year will still be 28nm, which means no shrinkage at all. You also can't exactly shrink the blu ray drive or power supply and you certainly can get any smaller with the fans. That mock up isn't even big enough to hold the parts much less cool them.

zychi

Banned
I'd honestly buy a ps4 that didn't have a disc drive. Just a giant hard drive. The games I do buy on Sony consoles, I tend to keep forever anyways.

Orayn

What about the removal of the internal power supply for an external one?

Well, the current PSU mostly fits within the footprint of the PS4 motherboard, so you don't really reclaim much space by removing it from the case.

95186b93d0.jpg

You might save a little on thickness, but you still need a large enough fan and heatsink to actually cool everything.

RedAssedApe

Banned
don't believe it. cd loading on the side would be stupid design and irritate people because it restricts some people in turns of where you can put the ps4 in your setup

Yep lol.

Everyone is gonna eat crow again.
Unless Sony plans on releasing a console that can only lay flat or has a slanted disc drive on the top of the console when it stands vertical (like a toaster, as previously mentioned), I'm pretty sure crow is off the menu. Just look at the angles. It doesn't. Make. Sense.

Sweep14

In all honestly its WAY too small. I mean that thing would be far smaller than both the slim PS3 and Slim 360.

Hell it looks Wii sized. No chance they could have shrunk production down so much already in my opinion.

Could be as small, if the PSU is external

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Likely fake. I certainly hope so, at least, as side loading is a terrible idea. It wouldn't work at all in a normal entertainment setup unless you turned the system sideways.

Ridiculous if true... The console is already super slim and loud as shit. Plus it's still selling like hotcakes? You never know though, maybe this is planned to come in a few years time. Looks pretty good though, size looks almost wii-level.

Exactly

Apathy

Just seems fake. Also, Monolith as a code name for a slimmer model? I don't think the Sony design department is going to make such an ironic name

leroidys

Ridiculous if true... The console is already super slim and loud as shit. Plus it's still selling like hotcakes? You never know though, maybe this is planned to come in a few years time. Looks pretty good though, size looks almost wii-level.

Two things: it's actually selling like shit in Sony's home region, and shrinking the console would make it cheaper to make, thus increasing margins.

Top Bottom