• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

hNpx5Te.png

Ooh... This is awkward...

Did Polygon not get invited to the upcoming Sony event? I mean surely they would assume that Sony plans on talking about it then, and not, you know, throwing out their whole PR plan because of a leak. Surely Poylgon wouldn't think that's sensible.

Unknown?

How many years in to the lifecycle of the ps2 did sony lower the price to $100? i doubt it was 3 years

You're right it was less! It was May 2002 when they dropped it $100 so about 1.5 years. They were already way in the lead and that wasn't even a slim remodel.

How can people be expecting them to sell this thing for $299 without a UHD optical drive or a game bundled with it? Sony would be making themselves look like absolutely mugs if they did that. $249 or go home.

Welfare

PS3 Slim was a relaunch, that's why they cut the price so much after only 3 years. The PS4 slim doesn't look to be that, but rather a cheaper alternative to Neo. At the very most there will either be a $299 bundle or a $249 standalone with $299 game bundles.

Audioboxer

I mean, that is one way to do it and get some clicks... Be outraged about something you can't really talk about yet because it leaked and the event already has a date set in stone. Or maybe the talk bit is wrong, but can't take all your own pretty pictures and make pretty videos as they'd get removed?

So really, what we should be saying is well played Polygon for getting some site visits over an article moaning about the console they are not able to make an article about.

Chill guys, Neo is what will really bring the site clicks anyway.

Unknown?

PS3 Slim was a relaunch, that's why they cut the price so much after only 3 years. The PS4 slim doesn't look to be that, but rather a cheaper alternative to Neo. At the very most there will either be a $299 bundle or a $249 standalone with $299 game bundles.
That's what I expect.

Boke1879

I mean should MS have talked about the S even though everyone knew about it before their conference?

Should Apple just say "fuck it" and announce the Iphone 7 now as opposed to their conference?

farmerboy

I'm still going with it being a $199 console

They was able to sell the OG PS4 at $299 last year with a game bundled in for a few weeks & this console will be a lot cheaper to make.

If it's not $199 it will be for the holidays.

PS3 went from $599 for a 60gb model in 2006 to $299 for the 120gb slim in 2009 so PS4 should be able to get down to $199 keeping the same size HDD in 2016.

If you're going to have 2 consoles out, then there needs to be some differentiation between the two. Seems like the feature set will be, ie UHD drive, maybe optical, power etc. But there needs to be a decent price difference so you actually capture the 2 markets you're trying to get.

I agree with you, if it's not $199 at launch, it will be by the holidays.

Rudiano

Banned
Announcing things ahead of schedule just because they leak is stupid. Should they have announced Neo six months ago in a press release, then? You're being stupid, Polygon.

I think the difference is that the PS4 Neo was leaked to exist and some details, but we havent seen no actual console etc whereas the PS4 Slim has been "fully" leaked to the point where people actually have it. They should go and officially reveal it now as everyone is looking forward to the Neo next month. Its not as if the slim has big new features like a 4k blu ray player or anything

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I think the difference is that the PS4 Neo was leaked to exist and some details, but we havent seen no actual console etc whereas the PS4 Slim has been "fully" leaked to the point where people actually have it. They should go and officially reveal it now as everyone is looking forward to the Neo next month. Its not as if the slim has big new features like a 4k blu ray player or anything

Can't wait for the part where they "announce" it to see what they do there.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sony doesn't need to announce it.
They do need to consider having their lawyers stand down and let the industry talk about it.

So then all the more reason to say, who cares if they announce it or not? Sony could come out and say, "Yes, this exists, and we'll talk about it at the event we told everyone we were having, remember?" But what would be the point? We'd be in the exact same position we are now.

Gradly

The USB ports feel odd being spread out like this but for me the one near the corner would be beneficial, as I have a big fan sitting on my PS4 and connected to USB, so here the cable will be less distracting than the case with OG PS4. Still I wish they included one port on the side too

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So then all the more reason to say, who cares if they announce it or not? Sony could come out and say, "Yes, this exists, and we'll talk about it at the event we told everyone we were having, remember?" But what would be the point? We'd be in the exact same position we are now.

I guess they could always just come out on stage at the event and jokingly say "So, does everyone have their PS4 Slim yet?" to small pockets of laughter.

Audioboxer

This is an actual quote from that article ?

Geez.

Have a seat, there is a fair bit of butthurt

The fact that Sony still refuses to admit that it exists is deeply, deeply silly.

It’s understandable that there was a plan in place to announce the system and its features, and Sony would love to pretend that this plan is still relevant in some dim way. It’s possible the PlayStation 4 Slim has some unknown features that still need to be poured in via firmware, but the company’s lack of willingness to talk about the system we know so much about in any terms is ridiculous.

I've been doing this for a long time, and I can't think of another "leak" that was this extensive. The amount of images and video that have been published by the press and fans before the manufacturer has even hinted the system existed is unprecedented.

I agree, and Sony could humanize themselves by saying that yes, this system exists and yes, it has more surprises in store for us at the upcoming reveal event.

You can see more at the link, but you probably won't think it's the best written article to get you to visit Polygon.

Boke1879

No doubt Sony will come out and make a joke about it. They aren't shy about doing so.

That said they aren't obligated or silly to not say anything now. I think every company has the right to market their product the way they see fit. I mean at the Playstation meeting pricing and launch details imo are bigger than the console itself and officially revealing it now may not mesh well with their plans.

Of course we know Neo is what we're all wanting info on.

Audioboxer

The One and Done™;214882266 said:
Really not sure how this is laughable or odd. We knew this was coming and also know when they're announcing it officially.

Well, it is a little bit funny how early it has leaked. Although if the initial leaks were due to things being stolen, not so funny.

However sites getting bratty because they can't run their articles with videos and pictures (other than the leaked pictures they don't own) is itself far "funnier" than the leak. Get a grip sites, you have a few weeks to wait and Neo is the real star of the show, not a Slim PS4. Having taken down requests against you for unannounced hardware you've got your hands on is part and parcel. Yeah curse those small independent sites and social media for getting away with it, but suck that up, you're a big site, get free shit from Sony and are most likely getting to attend an event everyday people can't, and also can't profit off of via liveblogs/site clicks/etc.

No one is saying you can't discuss the leak and/or use the leaked pictures, you just have to deal with not being able to do your own pics and coverage. Is that really that upsetting? Sony, pls be humanizing.

vpance

You can build a Neo with 2 or more slims connected to each other..

Scrawnton

Announcing things ahead of schedule just because they leak is stupid. Should they have announced Neo six months ago in a press release, then? You're being stupid, Polygon.

I personally think it's ridiculous Sony just didn't say "yeah it's real, look forward to this an MORE in 9/7."

It would be pretty sad if they ignored all of this and tried announcing it on stage on 9/7.

By announcing the slim now, it would give me hope that the 9/7 conference really is about the NEO; but by keeping their mouths shut on this, it makes me think their 9/7 conference is all about this slim and VR and nothing about NEO.

Boke1879

I personally think it's ridiculous Sony just didn't say "yeah it's real, look forward to this an MORE in 9/7."

It would be pretty sad if they ignored all of this and tried announcing it on stage on 9/7.

They know it's real and they'll most likely make a joke about it.

Audioboxer

It probably is just down to company pride and having set a date for something and not wanting to give in to an unfortunate leak.

However without knowing the ins and outs of the business and marketing side, I'd be ignorant not to consider the potentials around that side of the business. I mean if retail have to keep their mouths shut and wait to sell/put out in-store marketing how happy do you think they would be if Sony caved to journalists and gaming sites and allowed "unauthorized" purchases of the Slim to be torn down/reviewed? As let us face it we know not of where these Slims are being obtained, or how, or if they are even being paid for (other than '2nd hand' sales such as gumtree to buyers for cash).

I mean you'd then have people going into stores and saying I want to buy/pre-order the Slim and stores still being embargoed. Unless they lift the curtain on everything but then again who knows what leg work is needed internally to do that rather than just remain on the status quo and shrug off journalists having a tantrum.

Scrawnton

They already have a whole venue and event planned, including media presence. Why the hell would they just officially jump the ship. Them confirming it does nothing. Polygon just wants Sony to bow to their whim. This journo is whack as shit.

Like I said above. If the Neo is real and that's what this conference is for, how much of that time is really set aside for the slim? You could announce that thing in one minute and move on to Neo. If Neo is the main attraction, there's no reason to not just announce this thing now; especially considering the leak is so big the ship is sinking.

This is nothing like those Neo slides leaking; this system is out there and every day more people seek to be getting them. Two weeks is a very long long time for this to be in the wild and for Sony to remain quiet about.

THE:MILKMAN

I think they will eventually. They are probably rejigging what they'll be doing on the 7th right now given the leak. They may even pull the slim from the meeting and do it separately?

They have announced two PCs for after the PlayStation Meeting yet still haven't publicly announced it with just two weeks to go....doesn't add up!

Scrawnton

I think they will eventually. They are probably rejigging what they'll be doing on the 7th right now given the leak. They may even pull the slim from the meeting and do it separately?

They have announced two PCs for after the PlayStation Meeting yet still haven't publicly announced it with just two weeks to go....doesn't add up!

Use this chance to hype people up by saying "The Slim is real, release date to be revealed on 9/7 in addition to more hardware reveals."

Do we have ANY confirmation that they are definitely showing Neo on 9/7? I think they are, but aren't we all just making assumptions?

Would be pretty cool of Sony to reveal this asap and hint at 9/7 being all about Neo.

vpance

This is nothing like those Neo slides leaking; this system is out there and every day more people seek to be getting them. Two weeks is a very long long time for this to be in the wild and for Sony to remain quiet about.

Until it's on TV and in commercials, 90% of the people who'll buy it don't know about it. Really not that big of a deal.

Explain. Why would it be a piece of shit. Doesn't Ps4 outsell X1 now even though it's more expensive? Why would a cheaper Ps4 somehow sell less than a more expensive X1? Why did I take this bait? Why is Jadakiss as real as it gets?

If you're just looking at both systems, and then looking at the features of both on the box, then PS4 Slim looks bad. Keep in mind that people will spend more if they believe they are getting more value. $50 more for UHD is not breaking the bank and the Xbox One S has better aesthetics and a better controller IMO. Like I stated, if you're in the market to buy a game system (actually anything), price should not be the only factor. I didn't buy a launch PS4 just because it's cheaper than an Xbox just like I didn't buy an Xbox 360 just because it was cheaper than a PS3.

you mean it just aesthetically looks bad or because of UHD 4K stuff?

Both.

Top Bottom