• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

joebruin

Them being quiet about it is probably doing a better job at marketing than they would. Hardcore people are probably going out and trying to buy this thing to do their unboxing when they aren't the target audience at all 😂

Sony doing youtube takedowns doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

JP

hNpx5Te.png
Damn, that's up there with their Mario Kart per-chart in relation to not making any sense. I wonder if they'll remove this too when they see the stupidity of it?

THE:MILKMAN

Use this chance to hype people up by saying "The Slim is real, release date to be revealed on 9/7 in addition to more hardware reveals."

Do we have ANY confirmation that they are definitely showing Neo on 9/7? I think they are, but aren't we all just making assumptions?

Would be pretty cool of Sony to reveal this asap and hint at 9/7 being all about Neo.

Technically we are making assumptions but then the same could be said for the PlayStation meeting because Sony haven't publicly announced it yet. I do think the event will be Neo-centric and I hope we get a Cerny talk on it like with the PS4.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's ugly imo. The original PS4 looked way nicer than the original xbone, but xbone s is a considerably sleeker design than ps4 slim.

Well, yeah, but the PS4 slim isn't an upgrade. The Xbox One S is. The design of slim doesn't need to look like a lesser system than either PS4 or Xbox One s, but I think they are going for a less sleek design to convey that it isn't even as high end as current PS4 and definitely not as high end as what is to come in the Neo.

Unknown?

Well, yeah, but the PS4 slim isn't an upgrade. The Xbox One S is. The design of slim doesn't need to look like a lesser system than either PS4 or Xbox One s, but I think they are going for a less sleek design to convey that it isn't even as high end as current PS4 and definitely not as high end as what is to come in the Neo.

It doesn't look less sleek it is sleek in a more simplistic manner. It does look less flashy though. Same thing could be said of the PS3 slim, when it leaked everyone thought it was ugly now people seem to like it.

If you're just looking at both systems, and then looking at the features of both on the box, then PS4 Slim looks bad. Keep in mind that people will spend more if they believe they are getting more value. $50 more for UHD is not breaking the bank and the Xbox One S has better aesthetics and a better controller IMO. Like I stated, if you're in the market to buy a game system (actually anything), price should not be the only factor. I didn't buy a launch PS4 just because it's cheaper than an Xbox just like I didn't buy an Xbox 360 just because it was cheaper than a PS3.

Both.

Wow you actually were serious?! Not everyone shares your opinion on the aesthetics. As far as UHD goes it is a nice plus for the S but when most people buy systems they look at games for the systems. Xbox has a terrible tendency to have some games at the end of the year with 7 months of dry spell. Plus PS4 has more games, more variety, and higher rated. When someone is comparing them they're going to look at that primarily. Now those are just statistics and there will be people who like the games Xbox offers over PlayStation but having more variety, quantity, and quality means the average joe is going to pick that over other features.

Darklor01

It doesn't look less sleek it is sleek in a more simplistic manner. It does look less flashy though. Same thing could be said of the PS3 slim, when it leaked everyone thought it was ugly now people seem to like it.

OK, fair points on the look. That said, it still isn't an upgrade and I don't think it should look like one was what I was going for there.

Lady Gaia

You're right it was less! It was May 2002 when they dropped it $100 so about 1.5 years. They were already way in the lead and that wasn't even a slim remodel.

It was an aggressive move at the same time as the Xbox dropped to the same price, so unless the Xbox One S is going to $199 any time soon I don't think it's comparable. I expect Sony will want to keep their price comparable or slightly lower than Microsoft to ensure that they pick up as much revenue as possible at the various pricing tiers. $279 this year still feels right, with $249 holiday sales a distinct possibility.

Next holiday a $229 or $199 promotion might be in the cards, but it feels far too early right now. The 20M unit forecast for the fiscal year also suggests that they're not planning to kick sales into overdrive, just steadily continue to grow their installed base with a more diversified offering.

Unknown?

OK, fair points on the look. That said, it still isn't an upgrade and I don't think it should look like one was what I was going for there.

I agree. It's not an upgrade just like every slim Sony has made before it. It's to lower cost and get it into more houses. I don't see why people think it should be an upgrade.

Lady Gaia

If you're just looking at both systems, and then looking at the features of both on the box, then PS4 Slim looks bad. Keep in mind that people will spend more if they believe they are getting more value.

Nobody was ever expected to look at the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S in a vacuum. Sony will announce Neo before the Slim hits shelves and the choices will be obvious. They're clearly gambling that anyone who buys a 4K display and UHD media has the means to buy a more powerful console to make the most of the experience, and that the budget-conscious aren't going to be UHD obsessed. I think it's a reasonable bet, and once announced pricing will tell even more of the story.

In any case the software library and brand reputation will remain a major drivers for the purchasing decision, and Sony knows they're in a strong position regarding both.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If you're just looking at both systems, and then looking at the features of both on the box, then PS4 Slim looks bad. Keep in mind that people will spend more if they believe they are getting more value. $50 more for UHD is not breaking the bank and the Xbox One S has better aesthetics and a better controller IMO.

This has never been true. It didn't help the PS3 against the 360, despite having Blu-Ray capabilities. Nor did it help the XB1 against the PS4 at launch with the DVR-pass thru features, Kinect, etc.

Zedox

Explain. Why would it be a piece of shit. Doesn't Ps4 outsell X1 now even though it's more expensive? Why would a cheaper Ps4 somehow sell less than a more expensive X1? Why did I take this bait? Why is Jadakiss as real as it gets?

Bruh, I just died at that line. *jada laugh*

I haven't been paying too much attention to the slim but do we know if it supports 4K video and HDR? That's what I'm interested in knowing.

Lady Gaia

The fact that Sony wants to lay out a clear message about the Slim and Neo at the same time never really occurred to Ben, did it? Perhaps that's why he's not in charge of deciding what to announce and when.

New design looks fine to me. I like that it looks like a plain slab when set up horizontally, though I wonder how stable it is without a stand (and if it's not very stable, if a stand is in the works). I can actually see myself saving a little bit of a room in my setup with this design without it popping out inoffensively. EDIT: that Dualshock 4 light bar revision sucks, though... And I hope the cooling on this runs a lot quieter.

Shin-Ra

I personally think it's ridiculous Sony just didn't say "yeah it's real, look forward to this an MORE in 9/7."

It would be pretty sad if they ignored all of this and tried announcing it on stage on 9/7.

By announcing the slim now, it would give me hope that the 9/7 conference really is about the NEO; but by keeping their mouths shut on this, it makes me think their 9/7 conference is all about this slim and VR and nothing about NEO.
This is a joke post, right.

Polygon.

Boke1879

The fact that Sony wants to lay out a clear message about the Slim and Neo at the same time never really occurred to Ben, did it? Perhaps that's why he's not in charge of deciding what to announce and when.

A lot of the articles I've noticed that he's written the last couple of years just seems odd. Like ramblings of a person throwing a tantrum.

Like really "Sony could humanize themselves by announcing this." What does that even mean?

Woodchipper

It's ugly imo. The original PS4 looked way nicer than the original xbone, but xbone s is a considerably sleeker design than ps4 slim.
You gotta be kidding. The Xbox One S is just a rectangular box, which by the way is not even smaller than the original PS4. At least PS4 Slim HAS a design, and it is thin as fuck!

Sony hardware leaks weeks in advance all the time, thought not as severe as this.

Why would anyway expected Sony "We don't comment on rumor and speculation" Computer Entertainment to say anything about it

If I remember right the PS3 slim leaked almost a month in advance. Though you're right, we only got a couple leaked photos instead of an entire unboxing video.

timlot

Banned

That may be the case for Sony, but some folks didn't give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt when the XBox One S leak just "ONE Day" before E3.

HOLY SHIT.
The leaks are fucking crazy, now we have a full console image, MS gonna be pissed.

A 3,000 post thread ensued.
http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=1232191

...So Sony making the console look worse was actually a smart move? Wow.

Darklor01

...So Sony making the console look worse was actually a smart move? Wow.

This was discussed before. I am not saying whether I like it or not or whether I feel it is smart or not. It is a marketing technique to choose a less flashy design to give a visual cue that this is a less expensive item. This is a form of technique called The Contrast Effect. The Neo will look premium, and the Slim will look value based on appearance.

Also, whether someone thinks it looks worse is subjective. Some here actually prefer the new look.

CompC

I will probably buy one of those new controllers. I hate having to turn the controller around to see which player it is…

If the shells are compatible, I might switch the shell from my nice gray 20th anniversary controller to use the internals from the new controller with the light bar on the touchpad.

Norse

I wish they had gone back to the ps2 slim design. Those were sweet. The xbone S on its stand has that cool ps2 look to it. You'd think Sony would shoot for that as well since it's in their blood.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
How is it laughable? Just wait for the conference. Shit people have no patience!

Exactly. Apple iphones pics get leaked but Apple wont say anything until the conference and the sony conference isnt that far in the future. Publications are just mad they dont get the scoop and clicks to their website.

You gotta be kidding. The Xbox One S is just a rectangular box, which by the way is not even smaller than the original PS4. At least PS4 Slim HAS a design, and it is thin as fuck!

So true.

Chuck

Still without luck
Can anyone tell me in what legal capacity would Sony have any way of threatening legal action against ZRZ's youtube channel or Eurogamer for these videos?

Aside from being absolutely disgusting and pathetic on Sony's part, I just don't understand how this is allowed.

Lady Gaia

Can anyone tell me in what legal capacity would Sony have any way of threatening legal action against ZRZ's youtube channel or Eurogamer for these videos?

Aside from being absolutely disgusting and pathetic on Sony's part, I just don't understand how this is allowed.

If it's stolen property then there's a reasonable case to be made that profiting from illegally obtained property is something YouTube and the like want nothing to do with. Even if the product was in the distribution channel it's possible the retailer reported that it was stolen rather than admitting to breaking their distribution contract with Sony.

malfcn

I'm not saying the optical port makes or breaks a console, but for enthusiasts with headsets or those with sound systems built for this aux they will be disappointed.

I thought you removed features during the end of life process to gain remaining profitable sales from those on the fence. The Xbox 360 E dropped this because they thought anyone that would use optical probably already had a system.

It seems like a strange choice.

I'm not saying the optical port makes or breaks a console, but for enthusiasts with headsets or those with sound systems built for this aux they will be disappointed.

I thought you removed features during the end of life process to gain remaining profitable sales from those on the fence. The Xbox 360 E dropped this because they thought anyone that would use optical probably already had a system.

It seems like a strange choice.

Without an optical port it literally won't work in my setup, so I'll never be able to purchase one. Strange choice on Sony's part tbh.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

maybe someone stole the unit and sold it.

Elios83

Oh Polygon not making sense and writing random bs, what a surprise!
Someone doesn't understand that a company has a strategy to follow involving launch logistics like shipping, marketing, giving time to retailers to make inventory of the new item and getting rid of the old one, not to mention financial aspects like price cut timing.
We're talking about less than two weeks, in the meantime nothing has stopped them to talk about the Slim anyway even without Sony having announced the product officially :p

Top Bottom