• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

I just want to know what's better for the system. Is it like a computer, where going to shutdown causes more wear and tear on it?

Also, it says not to unplug while in standby. Ok, so what if you lose power? Will that possibly brick my system? That lingering thought makes me not want to leave it like that.

-Digits-

Exactly. I'm not mentally challenged. If the buttons worked like the original PS3 buttons, I would have no problem with them. They are tiny and they don't actually respond to the slightest touch. It wasn't actually clear that they were capacitive from my experience so obviously they aren't that great. I have no problem with the capacitive buttons on the xbox one because there's an immediate response (tone) to the smallest of touches.

I'm a little ashamed to admit I just used the system software to eject my disc because I couldn't find the damn button.

Shin-Ra

The power and eject buttons respond to a light touch for me.

And there's two of them, really not hard to remember which is which. If you're really having difficulty, one curves round to the status light strip (power) and the other curves into the BD drive (eject).

I believe the problem is it only checks for game updates once or twice a day. They are not pushed to the systems automatically. So if you turn your system on a few hours after the update came out it still will not have been downloaded..

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

-Digits-

Why? This is what you should be doing. You use the controller to power the console on, right?

Yeah, I do. But I usually eject the disc through the console itself, I just haven't had to do so until now. It was sort of dark and I couldn't find the buttons because they're so well integrated into the front.

Vitor711

So, stupid question but, how the hell do I put the PS4 in standby mode? I've done a google search and no-one's broken it down for an idiot like me.

I just briefly press the power button to turn it off - is that it? I can turn it back on by pressing the controller button so I assume it's on standby already, right?

Just find it weird that it didn't auto update my copy of NFS the other day if so. I have PS+ and everything.

rCIZZLE

Have been turning it off now since snow storms can randomly knock out the power and I'd rather the system be off when that happens. Come spring I'll probably start standbying.

So, stupid question but, how the hell do I put the PS4 in standby mode? I've done a google search and no-one's broken it down for an idiot like me.

I just briefly press the power button to turn it off - is that it? I can turn it back on by pressing the controller button so I assume it's on standby already, right?

Just find it weird that it didn't auto update my copy of NFS the other day if so. I have PS+ and everything.

As far as I know it's in standby when the orangish light is on the ps4. Standby seems to be the default if you press the button on the front of the ps4. To turn mine off I've been holding the PS button -> power off.

kmg90

[Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode] > [Supply Power from USB Ports] = OFF.

You can leave the other two options ON and the fan still shuts off completely.

I can confirm this is true for my PS4.

If I disable [Supply Power from USB Ports], after the light turns orange, it hums for 10 or 15 more seconds and then stops completely.

If I keep that option, it still stays in some weird limbo mode. Not doing anything in background, but making that barely audible noise.

This is how I discovered that turning off USB Power silences the fan. I keep a USB memory stick plugged in for local save backups and the activity light stayed on in standby. I have the DS4 charging dock so don't need USB Power anyway.

I've bought the 16GB model of this so everything's neat and tidy but I'm not so confident it'll fit. If only PS4 had an SD card slot like the launch PS3!

The fans do NOT run when USB Power is on while in standby... I've used this feature extensively (it's basically become my charging device for my PS3 and PS4 controllers and headset)

The only time I've ever noticed the fan actually running in standby mode was when it was downloading updates and going to standby.

Sounds like it could be a lack of sufficient ventilation or poor current control (I have my consoles hooked into an UPS)

-Digits-

If the light on the console is lit up in orange then it is in standby. You can set a couple of functions it's able to perform while standby in the options somewhere. If those are all unticked it'll actually shut off instead of go on standby.
Off is actually what standby was on ps3.

Bishop89

Does power down actually shut the system completely? Coz I can turn it on via controller (which is what I wanted anyways) whats the difference between powered down on ps4 vs red light on ps3?

kmg90

see5harp

I've never had a game get updated on standby. I think that last system update downloaded while I was at work but the updates to games didn't start until I actually turned on. To be fair, they start downloading automatically which is still miles better than having to run the game like last gen.

kmg90

I'm surprised that people are powering the system down. I always go into standby when done.

Same here... The only time I have powered down the system was when I brought it over to friends and when the system isn't operating optimally in some way as shutting it down completely flushes the system of any stale network information and other cobwebs...

So I get automatic updates while in standby mode but the other day I bought the assassins creed DLC from my computer and selected the option "download to PS4" and when I got home nothing had downloaded...wat wrong?

Sony extensive write ups on the power modes and status of the system including how to turn it off or switch it to standby from the power button on the console.
Turning the System on and off and into standby mode
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5050

What each color and mode of the PS4 system light means...
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5051

What is standby mode
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5038

no mention of any flashing orange light. just the standard orange glow

Ellite25

My PS3 downloads my patches all the time in the middle of the night and my PS4 never downloads my patches for me. They always start downloading when I turn on my system. Pretty annoying this doesn't work properly.

Edit: And yes, I am leaving it in standby mode.

Zalusithix

The fans do NOT run when USB Power is on while in standby... I've used this feature extensively (it's basically become my charging device for my PS3 and PS4 controllers and headset)

The only time I've ever noticed the fan actually running in standby mode was when it was downloading updates and going to standby.

Sounds like it could be a lack of sufficient ventilation or poor current control (I have my consoles hooked into an UPS)

Perhaps you simply can't hear the fan running as it's quite quiet? My console is in an environment that's under 70* F with plenty of ventilation. It's also hooked up to a UPS. With USB charging enabled the fan runs very slowly in standby. When I disable the option, the fan is stopped.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm surprised that people are powering the system down. I always go into standby when done.

I can't handle the faint noise the PS4 makes when in standby (a sort of electrical humming, or it might be the fan running at a very low speed - you need to get pretty close to it to hear it), feels much better to turn it off completely.

Vashetti

Banned
[Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode] > [Supply Power from USB Ports] = OFF.

If I disable [Supply Power from USB Ports], after the light turns orange, it hums for 10 or 15 more seconds and then stops completely.

If I keep that option, it still stays in some weird limbo mode. Not doing anything in background, but making that barely audible noise.

Wow, doing this as soon as I have access to my PS4. Sending power to the USB ports shouldn't make the fans kick in surely?

Alpende

I can't handle the faint noise the PS4 makes when in standby (a sort of electrical humming, or it might be the fan running at a very low speed - you need to get pretty close to it to hear it), feels much better to turn it off completely.

I hear it too but it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm not too sure myself if my PS4 downloads patches and stuff while in standby. Is there a way to check it?

angrygnat

After using the PS4 since launch, I now feel like I can give an informed opinion on this subject. I say power down. While I have found Standby to be a helpful feature, when my PS4 is not in use, for the most part, it's shut down. It's nice to be able to download files while the console is idle, but everything downloads so fast, and so seamless, you hardly notice it's updating. For someone who wants stuff right now, and has zero tolerance for even the shortest amounts of waiting, standby might be the way to go. I choose to save electricity, and wear and tear by shutting down.

Alpende

Just did this and it works. The fans stopped spinning.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Cool, I can confirm this. With USB power turned off my PS4 does indeed go completely slient a few seconds after entering standby mode. No more humming! Thanks, now I feel a lot more comfortable leaving the console on standby rather than turning it off completely. Will just have to charge my controllers while the console is on, or just do it with my PC or something.

No need to turn power supply off.

My standby is with everything setted on, and still the fans shuts off. What may be happening with him, is what happened with me... maybe he thinks the download have completed, but it is still downloading (and he can only see the progress inside the game app).

This is definitely not true in my experience. With USB power turned on the PS4 always makes some very slight noise in standby, even when it's not doing anything at all (this noise is not at all as noticeable as when the console is actively downloading something). I'm not sure if it's the fan running very slowly or just some electrical humming, but it never goes completely silent. With that option turned off it does.

I don't hear anything. I actually went up to it the other day to see if I could hear any noise when in standby.

::shrugs::

SToRM

Interesting to read that the PS4 is completely silent with USB power turned off. Going to try this soon.
I always power down the PS4 because of the running fan in standby.

Kssio_Aug

Cool, I can confirm this. With USB power turned off my PS4 does indeed go completely slient a few seconds after entering standby mode. No more humming! Thanks, now I feel a lot more comfortable leaving the console on standby rather than turning it off completely. Will just have to charge my controllers while the console is on, or just do it with my PC or something.

This is definitely not true in my experience. With USB power turned on the PS4 always makes some very slight noise in standby, even when it's not doing anything at all (this noise is not at all as noticeable as when the console is actively downloading something). I'm not sure if it's the fan running very slowly or just some electrical humming, but it never goes completely silent. With that option turned off it does.

=o
Are you sure? Sorry then for the mistaken info, I will double check it tonight! :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't hear anything. I actually went up to it the other day to see if I could hear any noise when in standby.

::shrugs::

Do you have standby USB power activated? As noted above, turning that feature off makes my PS4 completely silent in standby, so maybe you don't have it on?

=o
Are you sure? Sorry then for the mistaken info, I will double check it tonight! :)

Yes, I'm 100% sure that this is at least how my PS4 (and many others', it seems) behaves. With USB power activated it never, ever goes completely silent in standby, there's always a faint humming coming from it.

Do you have standby USB power activated? As noted above, turning that feature off makes my PS4 completely silent in standby, so maybe you don't have it on?

I have no idea. Does that mean you can't charge the controller b/c the USB is powered down? If so, then no, b/c I def. charge my controller in standby.

jcm

Do I turn my console off.

First world problems the thread.

Actually, excessive standby power usage really is a first world problem. People in the developing world use very little energy on a per-capita basis, total, let alone in standby. Leaving a PS4 in standby uses more power by itself than the average person in something like 25 countries.

That's what you meant, right?

Vitor711

If the light on the console is lit up in orange then it is in standby. You can set a couple of functions it's able to perform while standby in the options somewhere. If those are all unticked it'll actually shut off instead of go on standby.
Off is actually what standby was on ps3.

Thanks! Never seen the orange light so I'll be sure to dig in the options and see if I can turn that on. I always just tap the button off too, haven't been holding it,so the option must just not be enabled.

SkylineRKR

Its fan does continue on, or, it did. When I first got the console the fan was certainly going on. But now I don't really hear it anymore unless I got used to it. Maybe it was doing updates at the time.

Hi there everyone. So I accidentally discovered something while I did this:

Turned on the PS4, had to re-install BF4 and redownload all the DLC's through Premium since a glitch in the game made Dragon's Teeth DLC disappear from the game's multiplayer menu screen. So I put them all on download and immediately put my PS4 on standby. I normally cover the system with a neat cloth if I'm not next to it( in this case it was a "Red Sony 'unused' Shirt" over it. When I returned home later that evening, I found PS4 fan noise loud and clear even though it's in Standby. I quickly turned on the system by hitting the PS button on the DS4. In less than 4sec(tested it again with a stopwatch) it took me straight to the login screen. I quickly put the system to standby and tried it immediately after, and baam I am at the login screen within 2-3 sec. Wasn't this the whole purpose of standby mode, wherein users can quickly get into the game's OS when turn on the machine?

I tried the steps again today, grabbed a few ps+ full games, put it on download, covered the system with a cloth, which forces the fan to run loud, and when I tried to turn on the machine, the system resumed within 3-4sec. Have you guys noticed this before? I remember PS4 standby-resume times to be this fast back during the system's launch.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Turned on the PS4, had to re-install BF4 and redownload all the DLC's through Premium since a glitch in the game made Dragon's Teeth DLC disappear from the game's multiplayer menu screen. So I put them all on download and immediately put my PS4 on standby. I normally cover the system with a neat cloth if I'm not next to it( in this case it was a "Red Sony 'unused' Shirt" over it. When I returned home later that evening, I found PS4 fan noise loud and clear even though it's in Standby. I quickly turned on the system by hitting the PS button on the DS4. In less than 4sec(tested it again with a stopwatch) it took me straight to the login screen. I quickly put the system to standby and tried it immediately after, and baam I am at the login screen within 2-3 sec. Wasn't this the whole purpose of standby mode, wherein users can quickly get into the game's OS when turn on the machine?

I tried the steps again today, grabbed a few ps+ full games, put it on download, covered the system with a cloth, which forces the fan to run loud, and when I tried to turn on the machine, the system resumed within 3-4sec. Have you guys noticed this before? I remember PS4 standby-resume times to be this fast back during the system's launch.
Why would you cover the PS4 with cloth?
Even in standby it has some ventilation running, blocking the vents will definitely not be good.

Gotta agree with the fellow gaffer above... Really really shouldn't cover/insulate the console in any manner. Bad things are bound to happen here, and sound like they already are to some extent with the fans running in standby?

more OT... I only standby when I know a title is going to be coming out that I want to download immediately. I don't play often enough recently to warrant the power usage of standby.

Why would you cover the PS4 with cloth?
Even in standby it has some ventilation running, blocking the vents will definitely not be good.

Gotta agree with the fellow gaffer above... Really really shouldn't cover/insulate the console in any manner. Bad things are bound to happen here, and sound like they already are to some extent with the fans running in standby?

more OT... I only standby when I know a title is going to be coming out that I want to download immediately. I don't play often enough recently to warrant the power usage of standby.

As the other gaffer below you guys mentioned, yup to protect the dear beloved from dust! Won't be doing it hence forth unless the system's completely powered down.

Top Bottom