• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpassed Wii U in Japan

How is it stuggling when the PS4 beat its main competitor in Japan who had more than a year head start in sales? Last week PS4 sold nearly 100K (well persona did help) units while the Wii U sold around 3K.

Wii U is probably the last system anyone would consider to be PS4's main competitor. People would consider picking up a PS Vita first before even considering a Wii U, and before that, Splatoon, and before that, a 3DS, and before that, their phone on the commute.

Mory Dunz

Splatoon is an anomaly and perfect storm of aesthetic and appeal and marketing brilliance. I don't think Garage is going to have much luck following that up with another major success, lol. That's a rather impossible bar to follow.

I doubt any new IPs will hit splatoon's numbers, for like a decade lol.(unless NX has some launch game that's given away)

so maybe he's just saying he wonders if their next game will be a success.

Akhe

Live camera of the home console race in Japan:

PS4
Downloadd0709.gif

WiiU
wiiu.gif

XBO
tumblr_inline_o3hn8qk56R1ri065t_500.gif

93ec8668190b9820700120b3c1002e0d.gif

On the one hand, two and a half years to overtake it seems pretty long given each console's WW momentum, but on the other, it just materializes how lukewarm PS4's performance has been in Japan.

Tyaren

Wow, just 3,2 million sold PS4s and WiiUs sounds abysmal for a country like Japan. O: Did they give up console gaming after the PS3 and Wii?
Isn't Japan basically irrelevant by now what current gen consoles is concerned? 3,2 million out of 44 million sold PS4s world wide is a huge gap.

MacTag

Banned
Yeah, it's bigger than PS4 games outside of like FF, DQ and probably something I'm forgetting

It's just not big enough to keep a dead system afloat in japan.

Hm, related to your other comment, if it was Wii U exclusive and came....say Nov 2015 or even 2016, do you think it would've beaten Skyward Sword?
Had it released holiday 2015 I think it would have. Skyward Sword released when Wii was practically dead and buried and was the most restrictive console Zelda yet in terms of design and progression. It didn't have a really great response.

As is being multiplatform on NX I won't be surprised if we see another performance like Twilight Princess though. Waiting was definitely the better plan longterm.

Thraktor

"Is there any reason why the Wii U won't dominate Japan?????" V2

From what we know NX is basically a handheld with the ability to dock and play games on a TV. It'll be the direct successor to both the 3DS and Wii U, and in the absence of a new Sony handheld it's the effective successor to the Vita as well. Those three devices accounted for 73% of all gaming hardware sold in Japan last year, and 90% of the install base of current gen hardware in the country. Unless PS4 sales start to deviate massively from their "just about beating Wii U" trajectory, NX is basically guaranteed to be the dominant dedicated gaming device in Japan over the next few years. Now how big a market dedicated gaming devices will actually be is a different question, but regardless of how big the pie is, you'd be crazy to bet against Nintendo taking the biggest slice of it.

MacTag

Banned
This is why I still believe FFXV will be ported to NX.
It won't. The engine already has issues on higher spec consoles and the target demographic isn't a perfect match.

I think KH3 has a shot though, for the opposite reasons basically.

Eolz

Question since people are bringing up Persona 5 did I miss the sales data for how it did in Japan in relation to total PS4 Sales?

And are games like Yakuza, shenmue 3 going to impact Japanese sales?

Lolno for shenmue and yakuza isn't doing as much as it did before, no impact on hardware anyway.
P5 did the best debut of the series if you count PS3+PS4. It's at around 400k combined this week.

Edit: 400 not 450, sorry.

jjonez18

Still, Sony needs to do something. Vita is getting long in the tooth for releasing handheld versions of bigger budget games (World of Final Fantasy may be one of the last), and if PS4 Pro and PS VR don't reignite PS4 sales I don't know what will. I wonder if SIE intend to relaunch PS4 in the region along with the Slim and some compelling software.

Don't know if you've been following the charts since around MGSV/pricecut but the PS4 has made great strides in 2016. It does need something to continue this upswing for another year, but that's what PS Slim, pricecut, Persona, FFXV, Yakuza, Pro, and PSVR are. Those can only build on the momentum that's already there.

By the way, the slim is already out. It was accompanied by a pricecut and Persona 5. That's why this thread was able to be made this week as opposed to months later.

Interesting post. It's amazing that it even took this long to outsell the Wii U to begin with, and Splatoon is one of the best selling console games in Japan released in the past decade which certainly says something (I'm just not sure what exactly).

It simply speaks to the powerhouse status of Nintendo as a content creator and publisher in Japan. While PlayStation lives or dies based on the strength of the 3rd parties, Nintendo has a staple of high-value ip they manage to keep relevant for decades while successfully adding new names every now and then.

If it ever does.

Nintendo is consolidating both of their handheld and console efforts into one console. Splatoon, Mario, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, {Insert Level 5 Million Seller Here} etc... All on one device. You're dreaming if you don't think it will at least do better than the Vita or whatever PS4 ends up at.

the

With a Splatoon followup, NX is guaranteed to sell at least as well as Wii U in Japan, but it's also absorbing the entirety of the handheld market that came before it. Though I suspect if publishers release upcoming games as cross-gen 3DS/NX (like Monster Hunter 5) NX adoption might not be that fast. We'll see.

Yup. Iwata mentioned in 2014 (I think) that their next platform would make considerations for how people play across the world.

How could it come anywhere near to absorbing the handheld market if the form factor is what has been rumoured? Part of the reason handheld sales are so much higher than console sales is that you buy several of them as they're personal devices, so rather than sharing a console in a household you buy one or more of each. I just can't see a console/handheld hybrid replicating that, unless you could buy it sans docking station.

Datschge

Unless PS4 sales start to deviate massively from their "just about beating Wii U" trajectory, NX is basically guaranteed to be the dominant dedicated gaming device in Japan over the next few years. Now how big a market dedicated gaming devices will actually be is a different question, but regardless of how big the pie is, you'd be crazy to bet against Nintendo taking the biggest slice of it.
So for Japanese publishers it will be a choice between continuing to support dedicated devices but on a Nintendo system, and pulling a Konami. I'm not so hopeful about that one...

Thraktor

So for Japanese publishers it will be a choice between continuing to support dedicated devices but on a Nintendo system, and pulling a Konami. I'm not so hopeful about that one...

Japanese publishers have provided very good support for the 3DS, so I don't see why you'd expect that to change with the NX.

Why is there so much stealth (not so stealth) port begging for games like P5 and FFXV on a console that hasn't even been announced yet in this thread?

From Media Create, after 2 years in the market, the PS4 has surpassed Wii U in lifetime sales.

PS4 - 3,267,243
WIU - 3,265,329

Wii U launched in Japan about one year and 3 months before PS4.
WiiU launch: December 8, 2012
PS4 launch: February 22, 2014

It is so sad seing Japan overlooking modern consoles
(I mean: less than 4 millions is not much, is it?)

It's not all about the domestic market you know. They can look into targeting users in the west more excessively.

68k LIFETIME sales for Xbox One is just lol. I mean, I know no one cares about Xbox in Japan but that is still insanely low. Do they still release games for the system there and if yes how do they have to pay stores to stock them?

I know, right? Even lower than I thought it would be and I heard plenty of bad stories about how terrible it sells over there. Wonder if Microsoft will even bother shipping any more Xbox One's over there at all now, can't exactly say it's supply and demand over there, hahaha. I bet it must be a soul sucking job in the industry working in the Japan division of Xbox.

You ruined my thread with your short/crappy thread -_-

Anyways:

PS4 is the best selling mome console of this generation in Japan
According to Media Create, we have a new No.1 home console (for this generation) in Japan.

WiiU launch: December 8, 2012
PS4 launch: February 22, 2014

PS4 LTD: 3.267.243
WiiU Japan LTD: 3.265.329
XBO LTD: 68.224

Live camera of the home console race in Japan:

PS4
Downloadd0709.gif

WiiU
wiiu.gif

XBO
tumblr_inline_o3hn8qk56R1ri065t_500.gif

Hahahaha. Pretty much.

True Fire

How exactly would that be possible? The PS4 already struggles hard handling the game.

NX is 720p. They could also strip down the LOD and foliage because you can't notice small details in the distance on a handheld anyway.

They've also made some serious improvements with XV on both consoles, as shown at TGS

Datschge

Japanese publishers have provided very good support for the 3DS, so I don't see why you'd expect that to change with the NX.
My impression is 3DS is still explicitly seen as a market separate from hardcore handheld (Vita, home to many smaller developers and publishers not on 3DS) and traditional home console (PS4, home to all 3rd party that consider Nintendo not matching their portfolio and for sales rather look Westward now with Steam ports and the likes). From Nintendo's pov NX may de facto be a merging of 3DS and Wii U, it's not a given that from publishers' pov they'll majorly see it as a continuation of the still rather successful DS line instead the disastrous Wii one.

It's not all about the domestic market you know. They can look into targeting users in the west more excessively.
Good luck with that one. Expect more to pull a Konami before that though.

EGM1966

Oddly anticlimactic. Speaks more to console sales in general and how low Wii U sales were than anything close.

I mean still not bad for Sony to sell more in less time but its a soft victory.

Don't know if you've been following the charts since around MGSV/pricecut but the PS4 has made great strides in 2016. It does need something to continue this upswing for another year, but that's what PS Slim, pricecut, Persona, FFXV, Yakuza, Pro, and PSVR are. Those can only build on the momentum that's already there

Hardly great strides. In January, 40% of launch copies of Yakuza: Kiwami were sold on PS3. Just a month ago, 30% of launch copies of Tales of Berseria were sold on PS3.

Persona 5 has indeed shifted consoles, being a major game and being released alongside and bundled with the brand new PS4 Slim, but I have (already on the previous page) argued that the audience interested in Persona in the first place already would have picked up a PS4 for other games, or picked it up for just that game.

If Persona 5 has long legs it will be PS4's saving grace, but there's little to suggest that it will or does, compared with, say, Splatoon, a game that was regularly updated and became a sensational and modern piece of entertainment and marketing combined.

I don't mean to rain on the parade really, but I'm just not seeing PS4 sales increasing by a large amount in the long run. I see the releases you mention as more like big Wii U games - they'll certainly sell the system to more people, but they aren't going to change the market or the platform's long term fortunes.

(You make a great point about Splatoon by the way!)

The same was said about the Wii U coming off of the Wii's success.

People REALLY need to take a vast chill pill about the NX.

Wii U is a console while NX is a hybrid. Consoles are dying in Japan. The fact PS4 passing Wii U is seen as milestone is comical especially for the fact it took this long and shows how dead consoles truly are in Japan.

If anything has a good chance of surpassing PS4 its NX as shown with 3DS.

Thraktor

My impression is 3DS is still explicitly seen as a market separate from hardcore handheld (Vita, home to many smaller developers and publishers not on 3DS) and traditional home console (PS4, home to all 3rd party that consider Nintendo not matching their portfolio and for sales rather look Westward now with Steam ports and the likes). From Nintendo's pov NX may de facto be a merging of 3DS and Wii U, it's not a given that from publishers' pov they'll majorly see it as a continuation of the still rather successful DS line instead the disastrous Wii one.

Vita will continue to sustain its niche with small publishers for a while, and of course PS4 will continue to be the primary platform for western-focussed games like Resident Evil, but I fail to see where the big Japanese-centric series like Monster Hunter, Yo-Kai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc. are going to go if not to NX. It's a handheld gaming device that's going to have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario, Splatoon, Smash Bros, etc. Literally the very first games announced for it, before even Nintendo got a chance, were a pair of Dragon Quest games. Nintendo's decision to make the NX a handheld-first hybrid was almost certainly heavily influenced by a desire to keep their dominance of Japan and keep Japanese third parties on-board.

Sony cannot save Japan. This really is as good as it gets on the home console front.

The content is barely there now and outside of a handful of vanity AAA projects, it's not coming either.

You simply cannot get away from the fact that the majority of Japanese buying public do not want to game on console anymore.

Expect the PS5 sales to be closer to XB1 than WiiU next gen. The only way is down from here.

I don't think that Sony cares about Japan that much either, judging by their worldwide sales numbers.

Datschge

Literally the very first games announced for it, before even Nintendo got a chance, were a pair of Dragon Quest games.
But Dragon Quest has essentially been multiplatform for some time (ok, 4 years to be exact). Granted, even that is an improvement for Nintendo. But in general I don't expect multiplatform titles to include NX more often than past Nintendo systems.

Nintendo's decision to make the NX a handheld-first hybrid was almost certainly heavily influenced by a desire to keep their dominance of Japan and keep Japanese third parties on-board.
That much is obvious, I agree. And I agree this is the correct strategy from Nintendo's pov: keep the strong domestic handheld output and make it more accessible in the strong international home console market. I'm just not sure Japanese publishers that avoided Nintendo so far will join in this effort, and Nintendo alone won't be sufficient to keep the Japanese dedicated gaming device market even at the current level.

Top Bottom