• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 5M consoles sold in Japan

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wait people think because the Switch is going to outsell the PS4 in Japan (no shit) that devs will stop making games for PS4 in favor of the Switch? No. The West is the largest market now and games are going to come to the system with the most sales there. It's going to be PS4/Switch and probably PC for most Japanese Devs I would imagine. Perhaps most will be Switch only in Japan but not outside of it.

I dont think anyone thinks that. It doesnt make much sense. The PS4 will remain the main system for (most)3rdPartys this gen, nothing will change that.

mejin

Wait people think because the Switch is going to outsell the PS4 in Japan (no shit) that devs will stop making games for PS4 in favor of the Switch? No. The West is the largest market now and games are going to come to the system with the most sales there. It's going to be PS4/Switch and probably PC for most Japanese Devs I would imagine. Perhaps most will be Switch only in Japan but not outside of it.

We will continue to see "why not switch?" for a long time.

It's not that home console market has died, it's just that the Japanese are not interested in large western-focused boxes. Within the last decade, the last non-western focused, non idiotic (Wii U) console, the Wii, sold well for four years. It dropped like a rock but was a very high selling home console for several years just like the rest of the world, beating the PSP for most of that time until the MHG explosion. And now we have a non-western focused hybrid, the Switch, selling with extreme hype in Japan.

This is bs and you know it .
Japan has not been interested in consoles for over 10 years now.
Every home consoles since the PS2 had been doing worst no matter the company .
You can say this and that was the cause but that is fact .

If we talking about Japan we all know switch is selling hype because it's a hybrid and not just a home console .

lyrick

For some reason people think MHW will be as big as DQ and FF. I bet it will sell more like RE and MGS.

It seems like a wild card, MonHun has always shit the bed on Consoles in general, but it did peak on Sony a Handheld.

That title could really shit the bed in Japan or probably do pretty okay.

D.Lo

And the PS4 does better than the PS3, so what's your point here in a Japan sales PS4 thread? Outside of pulling out wrong narratives like world wide sales and wrong WiiU numbers
I have no idea what you are talking about. I was replying to your post, which was replying to a Shin's post about worldwide numbers.

NSESN

Every home consoles since the PS2 had been doing worst .

You can't deny Wii did well at the start, just look at the software numbers.

MH4 is the biggest generation jump for the franchise, can't compare it with the previous upports.
MH4 released 4 years ago.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I thought Japan prefered Playstation? 5m sounds quite low. Maybe I'm just not familiar with how Japanese like their games. Are they into handhelds like Vita/Switch more than a standard console?

BadWolf

I thought Japan prefered Playstation? 5m sounds quite low. Maybe I'm just not familiar with how Japanese like their games. Are they into handhelds like Vita/Switch more than a standard console?

Handhelds and mobile is where it's at in Japan.

sinonobu

Banned

Mobile & Nintendo Handhelds are dominant in Japan.

Shin

Banned
Overall the system is doing well, be it in Japan or world wide it's going to surpass PS3.
And that's not factoring in price drops which will probably happen next year, they should drop it further in Japan though.
Whether it will have the desired effect is another question.

Mameshiba

Neo Member

Actually the home console market in Japan didn't start to decline after the PS2, but after PS3/Wii. PS2/GC generation did a total of ~25 million in Japan, just like the PS3/360/Wii generation did.

You can't deny Wii did well at the start, just look at the software numbers.

Yes and many of us were thinking it was going to be the next PS2 not just in Japan but world wide .
Still at the end of the day it was under PS2 by 8 million in Japan .

Actually the home console market in Japan didn't start to decline after the PS2, but after PS3/Wii. PS2/GC generation did a total of ~25 million in Japan, just like the PS3/360/Wii generation did.

Was talking about a single console and not the overall amount .
Also how can you forget DC :(

D.Lo

No.

In 2010, over 3 million home consoles were sold in Japan.
In 2009, almost 4 million home consoles were sold in Japan
In 2008, the Wii alone sold almost 3 million in Japan, and the home console total was over 4 million

The collapse started in 2011, when the Wii sold less than a million and the PS3 couldn't take up the slack. And even then it's still 2.5 million home consoles sold that year, five years into the generation that's still solid.

NSESN

Yes and many of us were thinking it was going to be the next PS2 not just in Japan but world wide .
It's all on Nintendo misreading the market. I am not sure what they were thinking after 2010.

Mameshiba

Neo Member

Was talking about a single console and not the overall amount .
Also how can you forget DC :(

Well my point is, if you want to argue that Japan hasn't been interested in home consoles in general since 10 years, the overall home console market should decline after that timepoint. As that is not the case, your general claim seems to be wrong. Comparing single consoles is not a valid metric if you want to argue general trends.

I hope not. Nintendo is focusing everything on the switch. All their games. Last thing I want is Sony dividing up their games on another handheld just to placate some market.

Not dividing. I'm saying they need to do that for the PS5.

They would be crazy to release another handheld concurrently with their home console.

Hey if they don't care about selling much in Japan then they should just keep on keeping on.

Kolx

Nah.

Didn't the PS3 launch at some ridiculous price, and had the Wii as competition?

Now? PS4 launches at a good price and had almost zero competition and it's doing as good as the PS3? Thats an accomplishment?

Get ready for Switch to eat PS4 sales immensely.

Isn't the ps4 up since the switch release? are they even competing for the same market? I'd think people who are interested in the ps4 lineup wouldn't change their minds because of the switch considering how different the two are.

There's a lot of sarcasm in this thread I'm guessing.

But Sony knows its over in Japan regarding consoles. They can still squeeze a good presence in their home country, but their entire business has moved to focus on the West. Their recent re-org also showed this.

No, I remember a time when console sales were huge in Japan alone. SONY PS4 numbers in Japan are nothing to what the Super Famicom, PS or the sales monster than was the PS2 got in Japan 4 years in, Hell even the Saturn did better.
It just shows you how poor the Japanese market is for consoles and how handhelds and mobile now dominate that country. Gone are the days when the likes of FF could sell over 3 million copies in a week

So why anyone would think these sales are great is beyond me

Eolz

Right...

I figured this was gonna be the reply. Just wanted to make sure.

Its marketed primarily as a home console, but functionality is primarily a handheld....

Its selling extremely well in a country that is heavily handheld focused...

Good job Nintendo. Good job.

Like I said before, sales threads are gonna be interesting from now on...lol.

Wasnt the Wii U out like a whole year earlier....

If wiki is correct PS4 didnt even launch in Japan util Feb 2014....So Wii U was out in Japan for a year and 1-2 months?

But please, lets all continue with these disqualifies. The Wii U as a measurement is nothing to gloat over but still, lol.

Again, in context to everything posted.....I dont get the downplay of these sales....

You can put all the ... you want and see it as you want, that doesn't change the facts.
Nintendo made an hybrid that is selling well WW, that Japan was waiting for thanks to big titles (just like WiiU had higher selling titles than the PS4) and a good strategy.
Nobody is downplaying the PS4, just reminding that the PS3 wasn't some fantastic success there and that the Switch is way bigger competition than the WiiU was.

Sikowitz

Banned
Not dividing. I'm saying they need to do that for the PS5.

They would be crazy to release another handheld concurrently with their home console.

Hey if they don't care about selling much in Japan then they should just keep on keeping on.
So you answered your own question.
Sony will be happy with ~10 million consoles in Japan. That's more than enough. They don't need Japan as much as Nintendo does.

Kolx

For some reason people think MHW will be as big as DQ and FF. I bet it will sell more like RE and MGS.

Previous RE or current RE? if you think current RE numbers then you're insane. DQ is multi and yet is expected to sell +1 million launch week on the ps4. You think an exclusive monster hunter is going to sell 300k-400k ltd?

Usobuko

Banned

Mobile is king and the contract of the traditional market is across the board, not just Playstation.

Kinda like more and more Japanese third parties game relied much more on western sales these days.

SpecX

5M isn't bad for the market conditions, but also isn't great. I know mobile gaming is king now in Japan, but is there anything Sony/Nintendo/MS can do next gen to boost console gaming? Is it the fact there aren't as many odd ball Japanese games anymore or has the low birthrate and overworking of the adult class caused console gaming to crater this much?

Unknown?

Is it amazing?
Seems lackluster to me despite all the Japanese only/centric games released for the system.
It's been out for about 3 1/2 years there and with a population of 126-127mill, 55m+ for the rest of the world then.
Still bigger than any other single market in Europe. Bigger than U.K. or Germany.

ZOONAMI

switch.jpg

Ps5 is already out in Japan!?

what is a vita? /s

5M isn't bad for the market conditions, but also isn't great. I know mobile gaming is king now in Japan, but is there anything Sony/Nintendo/MS can do next gen to boost console gaming? Is it the fact there aren't as many odd ball Japanese games anymore or has the low birthrate and overworking of the adult class caused console gaming to crater this much?

There's nothing to do, that's just the case for Japan. I don't want Sony wasting time on creating a hybrid or another handheld just to squeeze in some extra sales in Japan. While some appreciate portability I want the power.

2Pf2G8B.gif

Memento

I think this is a great result. It is ahead of PS3 in both hardware and software in a much more troubled console scenario in Japan.

prag16

Banned
5 million units is amazing number. Absolutely astonishing sales.

Is it amazing?
Seems lackluster to me despite all the Japanese only/centric games released for the system.
It's been out for about 3 1/2 years there and with a population of 126-127mill, 55m+ for the rest of the world then.

I don't think either of these takes are accurate.

I don't follow the Japanese market closely or anything, but the performance seems to be "decent". Not amazing (certainly not astonishingly good) or bad.

It's made a nice recovery but remember how long it took to overtake Wii U LTD. For those who weren't around back then, it took drastically longer than even the most pessimistic gaf predictions at launch generally speaking.

NSESN

Previous RE or current RE? if you think current RE numbers then you're insane. DQ is multi and yet is expected to sell +1 million launch week on the ps4. You think an exclusive monster hunter is going to sell 300k-400k ltd?

Previous.

thelastword

Banned
How does it stack to the XBOX one in comparison? I remember reading a thread where Pacther said PUBG will make a huge difference?.......

boiled goose

good with gravy
The ps4 is an amazing success worldwide, but in Japan, it's just ok.

Matching ps3 sales without having to compete with a booming ds and the psp is again, just ok.

With vita dead, Sony's presence in japan both in share and total units is much lower compared to last gen

It's interesting it will be the only dedicated home console in japan for the rest of the gen.

DxD

Banned

Where is this anime girl from?

I lurk here a lot, and this anime girl has hawked everything on NeoGaf, from the XB1 to the Switch.
Is this a NeoGaf meme?
I have seen it sometime on Reddit and gamefaqs as well. But mostly on NeoGaf though because every time there is a big sale PR or someone asking for a system, someone will post this anime girl to congratulate the news or they are making the right choice to buy the system.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
On par with PS3 hardware sales wise, software sales wise its actually higher than PS3. Pretty much all we can expect out of a console not named Nintendo in Japan at this point

Good thing Japanese games on PS4 have a pretty dedicated audience on PS4, or the devs want to hit western markets. Otherwise they'd likely all be on 3DS or mobile at this point

Top Bottom