• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

FyreWulff

I don't think I'm making myself clear. My question is simple. If I create a custom profile pic, will it show up here...?

orwBtsd.jpg

Prior to 1.70, if you had your camera off it just showed a placeholder image. Now it shows your PSN avatar. However, if you have a custom profile, will it show that instead? You are looking at your own screen and that's what is being broadcast after all.

Thanks.

hrmm i could test this in a moment for you, hop into http://www.twitch.tv/fyrewulff and i'll see what it does

I don't think I'm making myself clear. My question is simple. If I create a custom profile pic, will it show up here...?

orwBtsd.jpg

Prior to 1.70, if you had your camera off it just showed a placeholder image. Now it shows your PSN avatar. However, if you have a custom profile, will it show that instead? You are looking at your own screen and that's what is being broadcast after all.

Thanks.

No, it only shows your avatar. That's the public image everyone can see about you on PSN. Your profile pic doesn't show up there, I was wondering that too last night.

Mindman

Deep Color basically allows the PS4 to output a wider color gamut (30, 36, 48 bit or billion+ colors). This theoretically results in less banding where you'd expect smooth color gradients. The vast majority of content on the PS4 only supports regular 8 bit per channel (24 bits total). Due to the way displays handle colors, however, an increase in color depth may still help in reducing banding - even with 24 bit material.

My display, a Pioneer KRP-500M, will show slight banding with a grayscale gradient with deep color off. With Deep Color enabled/automatic the gradient is completely smooth.

Thanks for this explanation!

HardRojo

What the hell is wrong with copying videos to the USB? If I copy one video I can't see it when I plug my USB drive in my computer, if I copy 2 videos I can only see one in my computer but the missing video still occupies space in my USB drive.

I am confused. Before 1.70, if I double tapped the share button it started recording. I was playing BF4 trying to get some footage and I double tapped it, icon in the upper right came up and everything seemed fine. Until the game finished and I quit out and then none of the clips saved. I tried it a few times. Did Sony break that feature too? Do they want nobody to share video ever? I wish I didn't have to rely on the double tap feature that ONCE worked, but because it NEVER records the last 15 minutes for me, I had to. Now neither work. GG, Sony. GG.

I am confused. Before 1.70, if I double tapped the share button it started recording. I was playing BF4 trying to get some footage and I double tapped it, icon in the upper right came up and everything seemed fine. Until the game finished and I quit out and then none of the clips saved. I tried it a few times. Did Sony break that feature too? Do they want nobody to share video ever? I wish I didn't have to rely on the double tap feature that ONCE worked, but because it NEVER records the last 15 minutes for me, I had to. Now neither work. GG, Sony. GG.

Double tap, for me, starts a brand new recording, but to save the recording (at any point) you can go into the Share menu and press triangle and it will save the last 15 mins/game time, without fail, every single time and start a new recording from there.

It was broken for me before hand anyway, so I don't know if that helps.

Double tap, for me, starts a brand new recording, but to save the recording (at any point) you can go into the Share menu and press triangle and it will save the last 15 mins/game time, without fail, every single time and start a new recording from there.

It was broken for me before hand anyway, so I don't know if that helps.

Yeah, I double tapped to start a manual recording. I now have to manually tell it I want to keep that manual recording I manually started?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, I double tapped to start a manual recording. I now have to manually tell it I want to keep that manual recording I manually started?

i never used the double-tap before but maybe its due to how they changed how sharing works (i.e. when you go into the share menu it doesn't automatically save the video unless you explicitly tell it to do so)

that or i'm just atlking out of my ass and its broken. guess i should paly around with it so i actually know how it fucntions if i ever want to use it

i never used the double-tap before but maybe its due to how they changed how sharing works (i.e. when you go into the share menu it doesn't automatically save the video unless you explicitly tell it to do so)

that or i'm just atlking out of my ass and its broken. guess i should paly around with it so i actually know how it fucntions if i ever want to use it

Yeah, I don't know. Like I said, I was REALLY hoping 1.70 would fix the bug where it just saves some random 15 minutes so I wouldn't have to manually record things. Maybe in 1.80 :/.

Shin-Ra

Before 1.70 it was annoying and wasteful on the HDD that screenshots and video clips were saved when you opened the SHARE menu without that intention. Now once you open the SHARE menu you either press TRIANGLE to save the screenshot from when you opened the menu, or SQUARE for the video up until you opened the menu. Selecting upload screenshot or upload video also saves the corresponding media type.

The TRIANGLE/SQUARE buttons are labeled along the bottom of the SHARE menu so you can't forget.

aro52

No. If you use the "manual start", it will save that recording when it reaches the limit you set. (default 15 min)

I will repost here hoping Sony reads NeoGAF:

They have to fix this big problem (bug) with Optical cable and 5.1 on Games and Netflix:

- HDMI and Optical output audio at the same time, and there is no way to disable either one from doing that.

- Here is what happens: If you use HDMI for video and Optical audio, the HDMI input on your TV gets audio anyway (that's the way HDMI works).

- The HDMI Out port of PS4 handshakes with your TV and from the TV HDMI port gets the information about what audio formats it can receive/decode: TV Speakers usually receive just PCM stereo, so the PS4 is tricked into thinking you have a Stereo Setup and it gets confused.

- The only way to fix this would be to disable HDMI Audio (i don't mean turn down the volume, I mean turning completely off the decoding) on your TV. PS4 shoul give me the option to disable "HDMI Audio Out " when Optical is selected.

Still not possible to disable HDMI Audio when Optical is selected :(

Please Sony give me those PS3 audio options that worked perfectly!

I don't know if this is the best place to ask but since it was coinciding with this new update I figured I'll ask it here. If I want to start archiving for my own personal benefit video game play, can't I just create a free twitch account and enable archiving on it, and whatever I play a game, stream it? Then at a later time of my choosing I can download from twitch the archive of my playing? That way I don't have to buy any sort of capture equipment, right? I understand that it won't be in perfect quality like capture equipment can do, but this seems like a quick and easy way for me to capture my own playing at whatever the quality of the twit streaming is, right?

RedAssedApe

Banned
No. If you use the "manual start", it will save that recording when it reaches the limit you set. (default 15 min)

what if you jump into the share menu before the 15 min is up? i'm assuming it creates a video up to that point thats available to save?

Who the hell came up with the idea to squeeze the comments section on streams in fullscreen mode like that? Not only is it a terrible implementation, I also go fullscreen to avoid seeing the nasty comments.

Shin-Ra

Who the hell came up with the idea to squeeze the comments section on streams in fullscreen mode like that? Not only is it a terrible implementation, I also go fullscreen to avoid seeing the nasty comments.

SHARE menu > OPTIONS button > Share Settings > Broadcast Settings > Advanced Settings > Display Comments on Screen

Does this get rid of them?

edit: The same option can be found when starting a stream, and during a stream open the SHARE menu and it's under Broadcast Settings > Advanced Settings
edit2: Unless you mean viewing someone else's stream fullscreen, in which case you always had to view the comments if they were broadcasting them.

How does the automatic pre-download work for my pre-ordered games on PS4?
Select PS4 games on PlayStation Store will be available for pre-order with automatic pre-download. When purchased, these games will appear in-store with a countdown timer until they’ll be ready to play. Up to several days before the game becomes available, the system will begin to download and install the game automatically and an icon for the game will be placed on your PS4’s home screen with a timer showing a countdown until the content is ready to play, so you can play as soon as the content releases.

I really hope this isn't limited to first-party titles.

the old bug that i had pre-1.70 was that it recorded the wrong footage when pressing the Share button, typically the start of the gaming session. Now what happens is the PS4 will simply not record the footage at all, it wont give me a Square button prompt. this varies too, and seems to work occasionally.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem or an entirely new bug. this has happened with 15 minute pre-set and the 1 minute pre-set.

Im seeing exactly the same thing. I can re-create the bug, but strangely, only on occasion. It might happen the first time I try, or the third. Even when I follow exactly the same steps. So strange.

oh so this is a thing? i wondered why i had an error in my notifications this morning about a failed save upload
Seems so. Someone even pasted a screenshot of the error message filling up their notification screen (just don't tell me it was you couple of pages ago :D).

I kinda thought more people would complain, but it either isn't widespread, or people didn't notice it. Knowing people and their (our) complaining, I'm gonna bet on "it isn't widespread".

Fatbody

Wow...that sucks. So if I want to record my playthrough, I need to keep a timer or something?

Or stream to twitch and upload the archive to youtube. But I wish there was a way to stream privately, though. I know odds are nobody will be watching, but I'd still be more comfortable with a friends only option or something.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wow...that sucks. So if I want to record my playthrough, I need to keep a timer or something?

no just press the share button more often and whenever there is something that happened in the immediate past that you want to be able to go back and look at :p

FyreWulff

Or stream to twitch and upload the archive to youtube. But I wish there was a way to stream privately, though. I know odds are nobody will be watching, but I'd still be more comfortable with a friends only option or something.

Twitch used to have a private stream option, they got rid of it for various reasons

Fellaz, when can we expect pre-loading for Wolfie and Watchdogs..near realease date? And it's only for selected titles?

Kind of defeats the purpose.

Schrade

No it's not... It always only recorded your last 15 minutes (or was supposed to; it's buggy).

It was my understanding that you had two options:

1) Save the last x amount of minutes (up to 15) of your gameplay. This is dependent upon you actually being in the game (not swapped out to your XMB or another app) and the amount of time you've actually been playing the game.

2) A manual record mode where you can start recording whenever you want and it will keep recording until you tell it to stop or you swap out to another app/XMB or run out of disk space.

Am I remembering this wrong?

The Llama

It was my understanding that you had two options:

1) Save the last x amount of minutes (up to 15) of your gameplay. This is dependent upon you actually being in the game (not swapped out to your XMB or another app) and the amount of time you've actually been playing the game.

2) A manual record mode where you can start recording whenever you want and it will keep recording until you tell it to stop or you swap out to another app/XMB or run out of disk space.

Am I remembering this wrong?
This is how it's been, yeah. Not sure if the second option is limited to 15 minutes or not (though I think it is).

Yoday

This has been a great update so far. Everything is faster and just better implemented across the board. It's a good first major update. I just really hope that Sony is working on Library and Content Bar sorting. We really need that functionality before a lot more games start hitting later this year, as things are going to get completely out of control. I am already deleting smaller digital titles even though I have over 600GB of free space simply to decrease the clutter on the Content Bar.

Side note: Why does everyone keep asking for "folders"? Folders would look completely out of place on this UI. They already have a good system in place with the Library, they just need to further develop it with sorting options and the ability to hide/remove items such as demos, Betas, and apps that already have their own Apps Library.

Shin-Ra

Seems so. Someone even pasted a screenshot of the error message filling up their notification screen (just don't tell me it was you couple of pages ago :D).

I kinda thought more people would complain, but it either isn't widespread, or people didn't notice it. Knowing people and their (our) complaining, I'm gonna bet on "it isn't widespread".
I think it was a general PSN issue, friends lists and chatrooms were playing up last night too. Seems to be ok now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Side note: Why does everyone keep asking for "folders"? Folders would look completely out of place on this UI. They already have a good system in place with the Library, they just need to further develop it with sorting options and the ability to hide/remove items such as demos, Betas, and apps that already have their own Apps Library.

by "folders" people are probably just talking about having more top level tiles like apps where its one tile and you drill down into a bunch of tiles associated with it. describing it as folders is just easier...but i think the former is what people want functionality wise

Top Bottom